THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL exec tells it like it is.

Clevfan4life

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/nfl-team-executive-rips-ncaa-system-how-in-the-world-is-this-legal/ar-BBV4jus?li=BBnbfcL

As much as I love college football it's time for the NCAA to either change or players go straight from HS to the minor leagues like the AAF where they get "something". The part about the yearly physicals was especially disheartening....

I happen to agree with 95% of that. With the top college coaches making as much or more as any NFL HC, and even some assistants getting paid $1+ million, but the players get free tuition and room and board. The NCAA thinks that's enough. Even the Olympics got rid of sh-amurisim a long time ago. Only question is how much of a stipend do you pay the top football players. It's sort of unfair- because college football (and to a lesser extent basketball) pays the bills for a lot of other collegiate sports, and some of those aren't even scholarship level. 

Chew on this one for a second...   "The NCAA's new March Madness TV deal will make them a billion dollars a year"    https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/4/12/11415764/ncaa-tournament-tv-broadcast-rights-money-payout-cbs-turner

Regarding college ticket prices- yup. Nutso. I have a friend who has season tickets to the Buckeyes- and not only are her seats (which aren't as good as my Browns tickets) about the same price, she has to pony up a couple thousand every year to the athletic department for the privilege of buying her tickets. I wouldn't doubt for a second OSU's joke of between the 40s "club seats" cost the wealthy few $25,000 every year to renew them. 

well what's going to happen is the top crème of the crop players are going to start opting to hit the minors, where at least if they get dinged up there..it was for some money. And there they'll also be able to play with guys that were in the NFL trying to work their way back. It'll be a win win for everyone. College football will be for the players that kind of just want to play college ball and do something else afterwards. 

The NFL and somewhat the NBA has had a really nice sweetheart deal with the NCAA as their "free" minor league farm system forever.

Changes are starting through the government on the long talked about but never acted upon "pay for play" or at least compensation for endorsements.....we'll see what actually comes of it.

I hope college atheletics as a whole doesn't get too corrupted.

GO TEAM! Or something close.....

Oh the poll partial results, 61% male, 30% femala and:

To what broad age group do you belong?

5%
Under 18

10%
18 - 24

7%
25 - 29

7%
30 - 34

14%
35 - 44

19%
45 - 54

21%
55 - 64 .....LOOKS LIKE THE RESPONDANTS ARE PRIMARILY THE "OLDER" FANS..

16%
65 or older
What is your favorite part of March Madness? (Please select up to 3.)

18%
Watching the games (Rounds of 64 and 32)

37%
Watching the games (Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, Championship)

14%
Filling out my bracket

1%
Taking off school / work to watch

30%
The “Cinderella” teams

6%
Other

32%
I don’t follow college basketball

Never been sure on the subject.  Not against college players getting paid at all, but how do you do it? Everybody paid the same? Paid by position? Every college athlete at the school gets paid? Cause you know they’re gonna be screaming for the swimmers to get paid even though they bring in peanuts compared to football players. 

2 hours ago, Comeonman said:

Never been sure on the subject.  Not against college players getting paid at all, but how do you do it? Everybody paid the same? Paid by position? Every college athlete at the school gets paid? Cause you know they’re gonna be screaming for the swimmers to get paid even though they bring in peanuts compared to football players. 

Or lacrosse, volleyball, rowing, tennis, golf, track & field - and plenty more varsity sports. :)

But as I mentioned, it's crazy the way colleges reward coaches in their Cash cow sports of football and basketball.

Honestly, all these investigations into the NCAA and crooked coaches is the momentum this situation needs to actually change. The NCAA and higher education institutions have ZERO incentive to change anything because why the hell would they? Zion Williamson gets a roughly $100k scholarship for Duke, knowing he's making that program $10's of millions of dollars. It's highway robbery that's completely legal, and won't change on it's on volition. Hell, I really don't blame the NCAA in a odd way.

These investigations and arrests though I hope change the narrative. Federal laws and other types of things like that are the only way it's gonna change.

Note this:   I believe that the rules,  such as the  3 year rule in the NFL, and the one and done rule in college basketball,  are actually rules put in place between the Leagues and the player's unions.   They are not a law nor do they apply to any other entities other than the NFL or the NBA. 

IF, if, if...one of these other leagues:  AAF, XFL, whatever,  wanted to sign players out of high school, or after 1 or 2 years of college,  they may be free to do so.   Now, if, say, the AAF wants to retain its relationship with the NFL as a feeder league,  it may still have to comply with those rules in order to retain that relationship.   But you could get a guy like Vince McMahon who says "Fuck the NFL"....I will set the rules for my own league, and if I want to sign and play high school players, I will" 

3 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Honestly, all these investigations into the NCAA and crooked coaches is the momentum this situation needs to actually change. The NCAA and higher education institutions have ZERO incentive to change anything because why the hell would they? Zion Williamson gets a roughly $100k scholarship for Duke, knowing he's making that program $10's of millions of dollars. It's highway robbery that's completely legal, and won't change on it's on volition. Hell, I really don't blame the NCAA in a odd way.

These investigations and arrests though I hope change the narrative. Federal laws and other types of things like that are the only way it's gonna change.

Basketball players DO, more than football players, have other options.

I am not sure about the "G League"....that may be run by the NBA...and subject to the rules bargained by the NBA and its player's assoc. 

But basketball players can go to good leagues like in Europe, or China, and maybe elsewhere...without going to college.

Didn't one of the Ball kids go play for a professional league in Lithuania,  ergo making him now ineligible for any further college participation?

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Or lacrosse, volleyball, rowing, tennis, golf, track & field - and plenty more varsity sports. :)

But as I mentioned, it's crazy the way colleges reward coaches in their Cash cow sports of football and basketball.

Yep. And If all players in all sports get paid, how much cash is that cow going to have left?

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

What argument could swimmer's and volleyball players have to be getting paid lije the athletes in the sports that bring in the money? Theres none. If u wanna swim it dice or whatever, u just accept that ur sport is not the money maker that basketball or football is. 

If they start paying the football players, then the non-revenue sports will all be dropped. Just do the math everyone.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:49 AM, mjp28 said:

I hope college atheletics as a whole doesn't get too corrupted.

This is an interesting item.  There is perhaps a "market" for the top of the top players [the one-and-dones in BB] but that's only 15-30 players in all of college football.

Other than that, the development of all players is wildly varied.  I'd never advise a person to ignore college because college is the place where you will develop to be able to perform at the NFL level.. or at least you will have the ability to get a good career after you hang up the shoes.  A college diploma is the high school degree of 35 years ago.. no college diploma and it's minimum wage for you.

And even if they do get into the NFL... the proposal is to do all this for a 2-year career when the guy blows his ACL [for example, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu]?

Yes the players deserve to get paid.. but the only way I'd support an actual minor league is if there's a path for the kids back into college.

The similarity to baseball is that the only ones who come out directly out of HS are equivalent to the one-and-done BB players.

2 hours ago, crstphr2 said:

You can't pay college players a stipend.

Because you then have to pay all the sports and all the genders.

Title IX

Colleges can't afford it.

OK.....so, what we do is what they do in other countries:   all those "developmental"  players that want to go play in some minor league set up to allow them to develop.

This is what they do in Europe.  You don't ever hear about European college sports teams....with the possible exception of like Oxford and Cambridge rowing teams.   They have minor leagues in Basketball, and in soccer, and in hockey (in the countries that play it).  You can go right from high school (or whatever it is they have there that is tantamount to high school) to a minor league pro team...no muss no fuss....and if you are good enough you can go into the highest level of the sport. 

Maybe the Brits here can tell us how their pro teams get their young players.....and maybe Nero can tell us how Spain does it. 

Next time you mention me, Gip, use an @ or I won't notice... I wasn't going to even check this thread.

I hate the NCAA system. I believe that colleges are for education, so it is not fair that someone gets a scholarship exclusively for his athletic feats, and if they are good enough they oversee their education (for example, being elegible in their sophomore year), wasting some resources that another student could use for his future. 

I also don't think it is fair that these athletes (they're more likely athletes than students) don't get paid after doing more or less what professionals do, producing huge benefits for the colleges they play for.

In Spain we have collegiate teams, but they're at most playing at "minor league" levels. You can play on a professional team even being underage (Messi started playing for Barcelona at 17) and some athletes keep studing during their sports career. How you balance both studies and sports is up to you, because both things shoudn't be mixed or confused. 

Maybe in the US I'd say that you could keep the teams in the colleges, keeping their names and so on... But the athletes would come from anywhere and under payment, the students having the possibility to try to join the team. 

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Next time you mention me, Gip, use an @ or I won't notice... I wasn't going to even check this thread.

I hate the NCAA system. I believe that colleges are for education, so it is not fair that someone gets a scholarship exclusively for his athletic feats, and if they are good enough they oversee their education (for example, being elegible in their sophomore year), wasting some resources that another student could use for his future. 

I also don't think it is fair that these athletes (they're more likely athletes than students) don't get paid after doing more or less what professionals do, producing huge benefits for the colleges they play for.

In Spain we have collegiate teams, but they're at most playing at "minor league" levels. You can play on a professional team even being underage (Messi started playing for Barcelona at 17) and some athletes keep studing during their sports career. How you balance both studies and sports is up to you, because both things shoudn't be mixed or confused. 

Maybe in the US I'd say that you could keep the teams in the colleges, keeping their names and so on... But the athletes would come from anywhere and under payment, the students having the possibility to try to join the team. 

Well....as noted, the colleges in this country are the developmental leagues for the NBA and the NFL....but not so much for baseball or hockey.  In those you can go from HS to the pros (major or minor leagues)....but there is still a lot of interest in the college game in those sports.  MLB has a rule I believe that says:  You can turn pro and play in the minor leagues when you are just out of high school....but, if you commit to and play college baseball....you are locked into a  3 year commitment to the college.

I would like this rule for basketball.  Before long I believe, the one and done rule for basketball will be dropped, and high schoolers will be allowed to go in the NBA draft (like it was when LeBron/Kobe/Kevin Garnett and more came out). But as I said, I would like it if the rule for NCAA basketball were the same as baseball....come out if you want...but if you go to college...its 3 years.   By the way...these rules are NOT set by the NCAA...they are set as part of the collective bargaining agreement between the professional leagues and their player associations. 

Even if the NBA changes...this will not affect football.  The three year rule there will remain entrenched....(they cite "player maturity due to the brutal nature of the sport)...the challenges to that rule have all failed, most notably former Ohio State RB Maurice Clarett.  It won't change soon.  The colleges don't want to lose players before 3 years, and the NFL wants its built in "minor league" to stay as is. ...i.e.  one that costs it nothing.

@Nero?  Eh?  I didn't even know that was a thing.

Archived