THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns have the highest active cap spend in the NFL?

Mr. Make-Believe

Holy hell when did this happen?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

I guess I understand some of the cuts. Didn’t realize that Zietler deal still cost the Browns over $7M this year... in addition to the $15.5M they’re paying Vernon. That’s a lot of cap tied up in one move.

This is just strange to me as I think we’re used to being near the bottom of the league in cap spend.

2 hours ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Holy hell when did this happen?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

I guess I understand some of the cuts. Didn’t realize that Zietler deal still cost the Browns over $7M this year... in addition to the $15.5M they’re paying Vernon. That’s a lot of cap tied up in one move.

This is just strange to me as I think we’re used to being near the bottom of the league in cap spend.

Yeah, we're #1 in the league in active cap, and #7 in dead cap all of a sudden.  No one can accuse Dorsey & Hasalm of being cheap. I don't get the dead cap though- I thought when you traded a player, the contract went with them. Obviously not- on our end because of Zeitler, and the Giants took a huge hit on OBJ.  

And we're not gonna have a lot of room to spend money next year either, 4th worst in cap room. For that guy who thinks we should just cut guys to free up cap room, he should take a look at who we might cut, only Kirksey jumps out at me as a significant savings.  

1 minute ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Yeah I don’t know why a player’s cap would count in both places. 

There’s a lot about the NFL Cap I don’t understand, to be fair.

Where do you see that the Browns are second? The link I posted claims they’re first. More of my ignorance shining I know. 

Yeah, we are #1 in active spending for this year, my bad. I fixed it.  That means what we spent in total. 

28 minutes ago, hoorta said:

For that guy who thinks we should just cut guys to free up cap room, he should take a look at who we might cut, only Kirksey jumps out at me as a significant savings

To be fair I didn't realize that carry over cap was listed in your total cap space or exactly how it worked until this offseason. So it is likely he didn't either but after it was explained to him he still couldn't grasp it. The fact that even though we have the highest active cap and are actually over the salary cap this year yet still have the fifth most available to spend, which we should not spend much more of, just shows the kind of position that the previous regime put us in with their 4 year rebuild plan and complete tear down to bare bones. I know sashi doesn't get a lot of credit on here because he couldn't hit on the players like Dorsey does but he left us in a great spot cap room and draft pick wise. I I do believe there is a spot for him somewhere in a front office doing that type of stuff but not a all out GM.

1 hour ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Yeah I don’t know why a player’s cap would count in both places. 

There’s a lot about the NFL Cap I don’t understand, to be fair.

If you have read some of the threads being thrown out there? This is a good one.thanks..I'm with you, here's a good one i don't get.. 1)Roderick Johnson was our 5th round pick in 2017. 2) he goes on IR 4 months later. 3) We waive Johnson, 1 year later from the day we hired him. 4) Texans grab him 2 days later. 5) Has Played 18 snaps in his life(career to date) in a Loss to Indy. 6) Texans have Waived twice,Cut twice & put Johnson on PS "Twice "....Yet we pay $133,486k of dead money ...crazy, what a deal if ya can find one..

The dead cap is from guaranteed money. It is split into the number of years, so if a player signs a 5 year 100 million contract with 60 guaranteed, the 12 million a year is on the books whether the player is on the team or not. So essentially the signing bonus stuff is prorated. 

Here is the breakdown of Antonio Brown. 

"This $21.12 million is dead money left over from a $19 million signing bonus paid to Brown in 2017, plus a $12.96 million salary conversion paid to Brown in 2018 that was intended to help the Steelers with their salary cap. The $19 million was prorated over five years, and the $12.96 million was prorated over four years. Both have three years of proration remaining, and the Steelers need to account for all of it regardless of whether Brown is on the team next year."

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, we're #1 in the league in active cap, and #7 in dead cap all of a sudden.  No one can accuse Dorsey & Hasalm of being cheap. I don't get the dead cap though- I thought when you traded a player, the contract went with them. Obviously not- on our end because of Zeitler, and the Giants took a huge hit on OBJ.  

And we're not gonna have a lot of room to spend money next year either, 4th worst in cap room. For that guy who thinks we should just cut guys to free up cap room, he should take a look at who we might cut, only Kirksey jumps out at me as a significant savings.  

When a player is traded or cut, any signing bonus/guaranteed money  that was pro-rated over the length of the contract for cap purposes is charged in the year he was released.  Evidently Zeitler still had $7+ mil we have to apply to this years cap number.

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

That means what we spent in total. 

try to punch some holes in this.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/3/13/18263433/quick-and-not-very-rigorous-peek-at-the-browns-current-and-future-cap well thoughtout imo..  

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Exactly what I was trying to tell JG when he still thought we could continue the spending spree on Lang and possibly others. Our cap space in 2020 is not going to be good. One thing I will say is in the article, he might be conservative at how much Baker could demand when he comes off his rookie deal. Hopefully, he'll be like Brady and take a sub-market deal to pay the rest of the team. Rodgers is already getting $30 million+ this year. 

32 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Exactly what I was trying to tell JG when he still thought we could continue the spending spree on Lang and possibly others. Our cap space in 2020 is not going to be good. One thing I will say is in the article, he might be conservative at how much Baker could demand when he comes off his rookie deal. Hopefully, he'll be like Brady and take a sub-market deal to pay the rest of the team. Rodgers is already getting $30 million+ this year. 

I was just talking to my buddy at work about the aspect of Baker taking less. I think on his first contract he won't be as willing but it wouldn't surprise me if he you did. he is the type of guy that is so competitive he wants to win so he may take less to make the team around him better

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Exactly what I was trying to tell JG when he still thought we could continue the spending spree on Lang and possibly others. 

Exactly why Stan/Zombo named you as a member of the dream police to run this board :D..Read my 2nd post in the Lang thread..Than when i got JG's response to my post.. I went 7O1C.gif  I'll hire Rosenhaus to get your board rise to debate the JC & Gipper's..and good luck with that!! 

Archived