THE BROWNS BOARD

Bengals fans taking OBJ trade well...

jbluhm86

On 6/29/2019 at 6:28 PM, ATOM said:

fuck the bengals and their fans

Right on to that brother.  Who gives a shit what they think?  If they had wanted him so bad, they could have given up AJ Green and 2-3 first round draft picks for him. And how are these Bengals fans deluding themselves thinking that they could be the favorites in the division.  All those years of drinking Hudepohl and Weidemann's has rotted out their brains, not to mention how their guts are rotted out from eating that dreck Skyline Chili.

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Right on to that brother.  Who gives a shit what they think?  If they had wanted him so bad, they could have given up AJ Green and 2-3 first round draft picks for him. And how are these Bengals fans deluding themselves thinking that they could be the favorites in the division.  All those years of drinking Hudepohl and Weidemann's has rotted out their brains, not to mention how their guts are rotted out from eating that dreck Skyline Chili.

You forgot to mention Little Kings Cream Ale. Don't know if they still make it. Now they have their micro brewery Rheingeist. That I prefer to call Rhine-ghastly, because that beer sucks big time. I stick to Great Lakes, thank you very much. 

Cinci chili in general is an abomination. Skyline's  competition in the barf-o-meter division is Gold Star. "The taste that's taking over". More like the taste that will make you vomit.  :)  For you Texans that haven't been exposed to this crap, Cinci chili is spaghetti noodles topped with chili, and if you want to, add cheese and onions. It's yuck. (I suppose it's what you grew up on. Those who grew up in Toledo swear Tony Packo's "world famous" hot dogs are "Da Bomb". They're OK, but I sure as hell wouldn't go out of my way to have one.)  

Ever since the Maisonette shut down, the restaurant scene in Porkopolis is lacking. Montgomery Inn is OK for ribs, but Jack Ruby's is a horrendously overpriced steak joint. 

I will concede I use plenty of Proctor & Gamble's products though, can't totally boycott the city. 

20 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You forgot to mention Little Kings Cream Ale. Don't know if they still make it. Now they have their micro brewery Rheingeist. That I prefer to call Rhine-ghastly, because that beer sucks big time. I stick to Great Lakes, thank you very much. 

Cinci chili in general is an abomination. Skyline's  competition in the barf-o-meter division is Gold Star. "The taste that's taking over". More like the taste that will make you vomit.  :)  For you Texans that haven't been exposed to this crap, Cinci chili is spaghetti noodles topped with chili, and if you want to, add cheese and onions. It's yuck. (I suppose it's what you grew up on. Those who grew up in Toledo swear Tony Packo's "world famous" hot dogs are "Da Bomb". They're OK, but I sure as hell wouldn't go out of my way to have one.)  

Ever since the Maisonette shut down, the restaurant scene in Porkopolis is lacking. Montgomery Inn is OK for ribs, but Jack Ruby's is a horrendously overpriced steak joint. 

I will concede I use plenty of Proctor & Gamble's products though, can't totally boycott the city. 

Why would someone name a restaurant Jack Ruby's......who was clearly a conspirator in the Assassination of JFK.

I know that there were claims...in the past at least, that Cincinnati had a superior restaurant scene than Cleveland did....but I never bought it. I had spent a bit of time in Cinci at some conventions and the like....and I never saw anything so superior.  Though I admit, I never went to Maisonette. It was too overpriced...which is probably why it closed. The theory there may have been:  charge a ton of money and people will think you are good.

I didn't mind the Little Cream ale so much.  Probably because it was such a small bottle that you were done drinking it before you realized how bad it was.  What were those, like  5 oz. bottles?

Edit...in checking, they were 7 oz. bottles.

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why would someone name a restaurant Jack Ruby's......who was clearly a conspirator in the Assassination of JFK.

I know that there were claims...in the past at least, that Cincinnati had a superior restaurant scene than Cleveland did....but I never bought it. I had spent a bit of time in Cinci at some conventions and the like....and I never saw anything so superior.  Though I admit, I never went to Maisonette. It was too overpriced...which is probably why it closed. The theory there may have been:  charge a ton of money and people will think you are good.

I didn't mind the Little Cream ale so much.  Probably because it was such a small bottle that you were done drinking it before you realized how bad it was.  What were those, like  5 oz. bottles?

Edit...in checking, they were 7 oz. bottles.

Just a  word about the Maisonette. I ate there several times on special occasions. Usually, they would even let me  bring in my own wine, which saved me hundreds on the bar bill. Just  pay a nominal fee for corkage. 

Their reputation  as a long standing Mobil 5 star restaurant, and the only one in Ohio was well deserved. Impeccable unobtrusive service. Never failed that at least one  thing we ordered was mind blowing great. They folded because as one of my friends who was working in the  Cinci restaurant scene at the time told me- even with the high prices they had to  charge for food,  they were still losing money.

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I had forgotten about Weidemanns'.. I had that on occasion when I was a young whipper snapper

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Little Kings weren't all that bad... Ironically... I was surprised to see Mickey's wide mouth still in circulation.. I drank both quite bit in my teenage years...

I never ate at the Maisonette, although I know it was highly rated nationally. My late Brother in Law loved Montgomery Inn for ribs (I loved the salted rye bread they sometimes served from a local bakery, https://phileobakery.com/). Larry, I agree that Cinci chili SUCKS, but it does have many fans (mostly Cinci area raised).

Little Kings?...I HATE being served a LITTLE beer! Buy a case & you get the equivalent of 14 regular beers. IMHO, that's UnAmerican!!

Since Owen passed, the only thing I miss in Cinci is that salted rye bread & I can't find it anywhere else! When I get NEAR SW Ohio, I'm getting that bread..it is addictive.

Mike

35 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Little Kings?...I HATE being served a LITTLE beer! Buy a case & you get the equivalent of 14 regular beers. IMHO, that's UnAmerican!!

Mike

2Ce1.gif      🍻 Mic out

On 7/1/2019 at 11:08 PM, hoorta said:

Rheingeist’s Truth seems to have become the premier IPA here in Cincy. You see it everywhere. It was a wtf moment when last year l stayed at a hotel in Strongsville and they had it on tap, but no Great Lakes products on tap. It’s aight, but Warped Wing in your area is my new go to for an IPA. 

Cincy’s beer scene has come a long way. I can’t even keep up. Listerman’s makes a peanut butter porter that is some of the most far out shit you’ll ever drink. I’m not gonna say it’s good, but man is it wierd. Woodburn makes an amazing oyster stout. 

Love me some Skyline though. Can’t help it. I even love their hot sauce. 

36 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Rheingeist’s Truth seems to have become the premier IPA here in Cincy. You see it everywhere. It was a wtf moment when last year l stayed at a hotel in Strongsville and they had it on tap, but no Great Lakes products on tap. It’s alright, but Warped Wing in your area is my new go to for an IPA. 

Cincy’s beer scene has come a long way. I can’t even keep up. Listerman’s makes a peanut butter porter that is some of the most far out shit you’ll ever drink. I’m not gonna say it’s good, but man is it weird. Woodburn makes an amazing oyster stout. 

:) Skyline and Gold Star are what they are......  FWIW, I'm a beer purist, and hoppy IPAs aren't my thing either. . Please don't put any strange crap in my beer. Like peanut butter, chocolate, or blueberries. And especially pumpkin. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

:) Skyline and Gold Star are what they are......  FWIW, I'm a beer purist, and hoppy IPAs aren't my thing either. . Please don't put any strange crap in my beer. Like peanut butter, chocolate, or blueberries. And especially pumpkin. 

Well if you start with water right out of the mountain stream (unlike Coors that actually comes from an underground stream), then it ain't so bad.

Estes Park Brewery Bear Lake Blueberry Wheat Beer or Longs Peak Raspberry Wheat Beer. Brought some of each home with me along with their Chocolate Stout which is similar in taste to Samuel Smith Chocolate Stout from England.

Fuck the Bungholios and they're shitty food!.... Never seen so many people with that far away look in my life as I ever did in Cincitucky!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Rheingeist’s Truth seems to have become the premier IPA here in Cincy. You see it everywhere.

Visited Cincinnati for the first time last summer, thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Caught two Indians/Reds games while there. 

Stopped in an Irish bar to have a drink on the way back to the hotel after both games (O'Malley's in the Alley) and had a Rheingheist Truth the second night, because when in Rome.... Grossest beer I've ever had. I can drink some Summer Shandy, Blue Moon, etc, but Truth was disgusting. Fucking grapefruit. Ugh. 

And Skyline tastes like someone tried to make chili, had a stroke, and then thought they were trying to make a pumpkin pie. Seriously, what the fuck is that shit? 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Visited Cincinnati for the first time last summer, thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Caught two Indians/Reds games while there. 

Stopped in an Irish bar to have a drink on the way back to the hotel after both games (O'Malley's in the Alley) and had a Rheingheist Truth the second night, because when in Rome.... Grossest beer I've ever had. I can drink some Summer Shandy, Blue Moon, etc, but Truth was disgusting. Fucking grapefruit. Ugh. 

And Skyline tastes like someone tried to make chili, had a stroke, and then thought they were trying to make a pumpkin pie. Seriously, what the fuck is that shit? 

LOL!

I don't like "fruity" beer & I can't IMAGINE drinking beer that tastes like grapefruit. OMG!!!!

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

LOL!

I don't like "fruity" beer & I can't IMAGINE drinking beer that tastes like grapefruit. OMG!!!!

Mike

I remember taking the first drink and instantly thinking: "ohhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooo".... 

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

LOL!

Mike

Sam76 is pretty much that.. sickening shit...

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Haha, very cool! Glad you enjoyed the Queen City. I do like GABP, good place to catch a ballgame. Definitely beats our old digs from several years back. Going there tomorrow as a matter of fact! 

Truth is definitely a hoppy IPA with some bite to it. Some people like the super hoppy beers, some don’t. As a beer nerd enthusiast l tend to like ‘em pretty well.

I think Rheingeist came onto the scene at the right time when microbreweries were hitting their stride. Right time at the right place with the right marketing. 

Pumpkin pie? Haha. I suppose Skyline is to Cincy what haggis is to Scotland, sorta that wierd thing we crave from time to time and everyone else is all eww.

• Upvote 1

Remember this from Kipling...."East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet"?

Well I'm changing it to: "Beer is Beer, and Fruit is Fruit, and never the twain shall meet"!

THERE, fixed it for ya Rudyard!

Mike

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Remember this from Kipling...."East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet"?

Well I'm changing it to: "Beer is Beer, and Fruit is Fruit, and never he twain shall meet"!

THERE, fixed it for ya Rudyard!

Mike

Ole Larry will change that tune as soon as Coors Cabernet appears on the market.🍷🍺😜

I love ambers.

YuengLing has been my steady date for a while now.... not available in TX as yet, but I pick up a couple cases when I visit the grandkids in BAMA... plus in a pinch it is as far west as Louisiana. Others that I have when out to eat include Dos Equis and Abita. The latter is brewed in Louisiana and is really growing fast.

Another Abita I just "found" is "Andygator". Local cajun place was out of Amber so I tried it and it was really, really good.

And, yes, Cinci chili is an abomination that is not to be taken internally.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I love ambers.

YuengLing has been my steady date for a while now.... not available in TX as yet, but I pick up a couple cases when I visit the grandkids in BAMA... plus in a pinch it is as far west as Louisiana. Others that I have when out to eat include Dos Equis and Abita. The latter is brewed in Louisiana and is really growing fast.

Another Abita I just "found" is "Andygator". Local cajun place was out of Amber so I tried it and it was really, really good.

Both Abitas are available at Total Wine in Austin (Lakeline). Which do you like best?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:55 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Ole Larry will change that tune as soon as Coors Cabernet appears on the market.🍷🍺😜

Ha- beer is beer, and wine is wine. There are a few "wine in a can" things showing up of late. Most drinkable, but all of them pretty nondescript. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I love ambers.

Tour- regarding yen-ling that Chinese beer they make in Pennsylvania. I fail to see much difference between it and a bunch of the other national brands. I tried it several times when it first became available in Ohio- and I haven't gone back. I just finished a Great Lakes Dortmunder, and that's much more to my liking- even with the price premium. Dos Equis is my go to brand when I'm doing Mexican. Just no to Corona- which is South of the Border Budweiser. 

I think I've mentioned it before- MHO is when Coors went national, something changed. Early 70s, I could pick out Coors from a lineup of 5-6 other brews without fail, won a lot of money doing so too. Not anymore. Who knows? At my advanced age, maybe my nose is shot.  :)  

On 7/1/2019 at 2:27 AM, jbluhm86 said:

The hits keep coming from over at Bengals subreddit:

Bengals.JPG.7cfe244269192c7d16f809653ed36844.JPG

Bengals2.JPG.e4839f2b28850fe65729d205f018de71.JPG

Bengals3.JPG.b00e445da507b797f35c01ba3be0a718.JPG

Bengals4.JPG.cf057f98c90656ae9a691c13134478de.JPG

Bengals5.JPG.6b580db65f42c4779626f1c40db3d76b.JPG

They have drunk heavily of contaminated Ohio River water if they believe all that....  8-0? Starting out with on the road against Seattle, 49ers, at the Bills, road Steelers, I'll give 'em a win against the Cardinals, tossup Jaguars, and road Rams? Can we say more like 2-6 in the real world?  

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, PoeticG said:

...In other news, Bengals first round selection Jonah Williams, who was selected #11 overall is lost for the season. 

When it rains, it pours. 😪😂🤣

All joking aside, I hope he recovers well, never wish players outside of Pittsburgh to get hurt.

To hell with that. I hope he retires too. The Bungles are to my generation ( I’m 30 ) what the Steelers were to my fathers. Their fans bring out the worst in me. Then there’s Dave Lapham.... actually never mind. I hate them.The worst part about this afc north take over will be the Bengals fans. They’ll go into hiding and we won’t get to rub salt in the wound. Those idiots want to prance around in those Halloween uniforms acting like Akili Smith and Peter Warrick never happened. Well guess what sunshine? It did. Their 15 minutes is finally over. 

2 hours ago, brownie4412 said:

To hell with that. I hope he retires too. The Bungles are to my generation ( I’m 30 ) what the Steelers were to my fathers. Their fans bring out the worst in me. Then there’s Dave Lapham.... actually never mind. I hate them.The worst part about this afc north take over will be the Bengals fans. They’ll go into hiding and we won’t get to rub salt in the wound. Those idiots want to prance around in those Halloween uniforms acting like Akili Smith and Peter Warrick never happened. Well guess what sunshine? It did. Their 15 minutes is finally over. 

Arrrgggg!!!! You would have to bring up f'n Dave Lapham, I had him blotted out of my memory until you mentioned him. Just another reason to hate the Bengals. For those who have never heard a Bengals radio broadcast- instead of getting a competent color commentator expert- Mike Brown hired a freaking biased cheerleader instead. Since the Steelers announcer Myron Cope passed away a few years ago, Lapham has to be the worst going. 

But there's more news. Having a chat with my doctor this afternoon (he's a Bengals fan) and the subject of the Bengals came up. Mostly because I was getting a pretty good chuckle about Brownie's post when he walked in.  Seems like Jimmy Haslam wasn't the only owner who pulled rank and wanted some major PR drafting (Johnny Football), Mike Brown made the same mistake. My Doc was doing an orthopedic residency down in Cincinnati and ran across the former Bengal's team doctor. Apparently he did a pre draft physical on Ki-Jana Carter. Hey, Mr. Brown- Carter's ACL is 85% gone. DON'T DRAFT HIM.  We know how that one turned out.  

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Arrrgggg!!!! You would have to bring up f'n Dave Lapham, I had him blotted out of my memory until you mentioned him. Just another reason to hate the Bengals. For those who have never heard a Bengals radio broadcast- instead of getting a competent color commentator expert- Mike Brown hired a freaking biased cheerleader instead. Since the Steelers announcer Myron Cope passed away a few years ago, Lapham has to be the worst going. 

But there's more news. Having a chat with my doctor this afternoon (he's a Bengals fan) and the subject of the Bengals came up. Mostly because I was getting a pretty good chuckle about Brownie's post when he walked in.  Seems like Jimmy Haslam wasn't the only owner who pulled rank and wanted some major PR drafting (Johnny Football), Mike Brown made the same mistake. My Doc was doing an orthopedic residency down in Cincinnati and ran across the former Bengal's team doctor. Apparently he did a pre draft physical on Ki-Jana Carter. Hey, Mr. Brown- Carter's ACL is 85% gone. DON'T DRAFT HIM.  We know how that one turned out.  

Not to derail a thread.. But I thought you might be interested in this Larry.. Don't let the low price fool ya.. This stuff is really good!

https://www.finewinehouse.com/wycliff-california-brut-rose-champagne-nv.html?msclkid=041e0ae4d9e519db8b0357c9f58b86ea

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

I listen to the radio occasionally when I'm driving or doing busy work. I avoid 700 WLW and 102.7 WEBN on game days SOLELY because of Dave Lapham.

He sounds like a goddamn chimp with his beanbag caught in a vice when he's "calling" games. I don't even think that most Bengals fans like him either.

• Upvote 1