THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield bats left handed

Ibleedbrown

40 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

That’s all l got. Just thought it was interesting.

273DAA2D-0D94-4DDE-ACD8-E8989ECDD541.png

Have your dominant hand leading... 

When we got OT regarding tennis players, several great lefties...  McEnroe, and Nadal. As a leftie myself, that's the first thing I notice when another person picks up a pen... In one handed sports (tennis bowling), I'm left handed all the way. In golf, it doesn't matter so much. Before I gave up the incredibly frustrating game, I golf right. Yeah, I tried a set of left handed clubs for kicks and giggles. 

My all-time favorite, and trivia- one of the all- time greats golfs right, and is left handed- Jack Nicklaus. Nickers will know in music the famous lefties are\were Hendrix and Cobain. (Yeah I play guitar left handed, and not very well either) 

I still don't understand, and there's no logical reason why a person would favor one hand over the other, but I believe it's about 70-80% of people are right handed.  (in my family of eight, where our parents made no big deal out of it, it's R6, L2) go figure. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

When we got OT regarding tennis players, several great lefties...  McEnroe, and Nadal. As a leftie myself, that's the first thing I notice when another person picks up a pen... In one handed sports (tennis bowling), I'm left handed all the way. In golf, it doesn't matter so much. Before I gave up the incredibly frustrating game, I golf right. Yeah, I tried a set of left handed clubs for kicks and giggles. 

My all-time favorite, and trivia- one of the all- time greats golfs right, and is left handed- Jack Nicklaus. Nickers will know in music the famous lefties are\were Hendrix and Cobain. (Yeah I play guitar left handed, and not very well either) 

I still don't understand, and there's no logical reason why a person would favor one hand over the other, but I believe it's about 70-80% of people are right handed.  (in my family of eight, where our parents made no big deal out of it, it's R6, L2) go figure. 

In batting the top hand has greater control of the bat head through the swing plane. The bottom hand is mostly for oomph.

The greatest influence though is simply how you learn to do something, particularly when you are young and learning muscle memory is at its peak. Plenty of righty throwing ballplayers learn to hit left handed for the advantage against righty throwers.

I’m right handed but throw a frisbee left handed. Not particularly well though.

I’m so bad at bowling that l tried bowling left handed, and the results were similar.

now that i think about it 🤔...I can only aim a gun from my left eye..and at the state fairs, I will challenge anyone to clown water gun balloon Wars or star targets..as a kid, i was a wicked strikeout box switch hitter with rubber balls or tennis balls..hardball not so much..that damn thing had dance moves

I injured my R shoulder once and played racquetball left handed about 6 months while healing. I moved to where I am now and when one of the best players I know hurt his playing arm I "magnanimously" volunteered to play him with my off hand against his. Waxed him worse than I had ever beaten him when we were both playing right handed. Only after I wiped the court with him for an hour did I reveal my prior history of playing left handed for that six month period. Quite fun to get his goat. 🤗  When I take my grandson on the court I play left handed because he is a lefty and it is easier to teach him by example with the hand he prefers. The backhand shot with the off hand is the hardest to learn.

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Maybe you are ambidextrous, ergo your inability to comprehend that there really is a difference to a person who is on handed dominant....like most people are.

I have a sister who is ambidextrous.  She writes and eats with her left hand,  but when we were kids and would throw a ball....she did it right handed.  That sounds a bit like you.   I suspet tht the percent of the population that is like that is a very small sliver.

10 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

That’s all l got. Just thought it was interesting.

273DAA2D-0D94-4DDE-ACD8-E8989ECDD541.png

Baker does a lot of things "left handed". I think he only throws football and baseball right as well as write. But bats left shoots basketball left does his kicking with his left. I saw this in an interview somewhere during the season.

Looks like a Ball Player. Let's challenge the Stillers to a ballgame.

CF Callaway

LF Landry

1B Nojoku

DH Garrett 

RF OBJ

2B Chubb

3B Mayfield

SS Ward

C Schoebert

P Stanton 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe you are ambidextrous, ergo your inability to comprehend that there really is a difference to a person who is on handed dominant....like most people are.

I have a sister who is ambidextrous.  She writes and eats with her left hand,  but when we were kids and would throw a ball....she did it right handed.  That sounds a bit like you.   I suspet tht the percent of the population that is like that is a very small sliver.

:) Back in the 1950s & 1960s things weren't so accommodating for the left handed minority. Most desks in schools were right handed, and we had to adapt. In grade school they certainly tried to force us to conform to the right handed majority, they finally gave up when I was in second grade.

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

All the best right-handed golfers I know are lefties in life...

... I shoulda learned to play left-handed... :(

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

All the best right-handed golfers I know are lefties in life...

... I shoulda learned to play left-handed... :(

Ha- you know I had to look this one up. there's even a lefthander's day- August 13th.  :)  Some of the all time most famous and greatest personages in history were left handed- even I was surprised.  And as I pointed out earlier- add Rafael Nadal and Jack Nicklaus to the sporting list.  & in music, how could I have missed Paul McCartney? 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/aug/13/2

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Ha- you know I had to look this one up. there's even a lefthander's day- August 13th.  :)  Some of the all time most famous and greatest personages in history were left handed- even I was surprised.  And as I pointed out earlier- add Rafael Nadal and Jack Nicklaus to the sporting list.  & in music, how could I have missed Paul McCartney? 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/aug/13/2

But the most famous of all was not really left handed. Billy the Kid a.k.a. the Left Handed Gun, was really right handed. That famous photo was a ferrotype which was reversed from true life. 

220px-Billy_the_Kid_Ferrotype.jpg

Unretouched original ferrotype of Bonney, c. 1880  

Billy the Kid
Billy the Kid corrected.jpg
Enhanced photo of Billy the Kid, c. 1880

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But the most famous of all was not really left handed. Billy the Kid a.k.a. the Left Handed Gun, was really right handed. That famous photo was a ferrotype which was reversed from true life. 

220px-Billy_the_Kid_Ferrotype.jpg

Unretouched original ferrotype of Bonney, c. 1880  

Since you want to bring up guns- I'm probably right eye dominant- I shoot a long gun right handed. I just found it easier to hold the gun steady with my stronger hand. Add in, without a left handed shotgun, you're seeing spent ammo flying across your face with a semi-auto if you try and shoot left handed.  More trivia for those who don't realize it- besides the vast majority of people having a dominant hand (there are a few, very few truly ambidextrous people) you also have a dominant eye.  

PS- thanks to those Ursuline Sisters back in grade school if I ever lost the use of my left hand- I can write semi-legibly with my right, but it's a real struggle. 

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Since you want to bring up guns- I'm probably right eye dominant- I shoot a long gun right handed. I just found it easier to hold the gun steady with my stronger hand. Add in, without a left handed shotgun, you're seeing spent ammo flying across your face with a semi-auto if you try and shoot left handed.  More trivia for those who don't realize it- besides the vast majority of people having a dominant hand (there are a few, very few truly ambidextrous people) you also have a dominant eye.  

PS- thanks to those Ursuline Sisters back in grade school if I ever lost the use of my left hand- I can write semi-legibly with my right, but it's a real struggle. 

However the truly best ambidextrous pro sports players have to be soccer players. They handle that ball equally well with either leg/foot. It's years and years of practice starting as very small kids. I first encountered it in Venezuela where it is one of the two national sports (baseball being the other). Even though I was a decent athlete, I was never up to the level of the best Venezuelan soccer players I encountered. They just had too many more years of daily practice than I did. Now baseball I could match. But not soccer. I sometimes watched in awe as they dribbled right through us. Fortunately we had a few Venezuelan players in our school that kept our loses reasonable and our few wins cause for major celebration.

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Rafael Nadal is right handed but was forced by his uncle to play left handed in his childhood. I don't know if it was forced or something like 'if you can play with both, play with left.' He does everything else with his right hand I believe.

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

However the truly best ambidextrous pro sports players have to be soccer players. They handle that ball equally well with either leg/foot. It's years and years of practice starting as very small kids. I first encountered it in Venezuela where it is one of the two national sports (baseball being the other). Even though I was a decent athlete, I was never up to the level of the best Venezuelan soccer players I encountered. They just had too many more years of daily practice than I did. Now baseball I could match. But not soccer. I sometimes watched in awe as they dribbled right through us. Fortunately we had a few Venezuelan players in our school that kept our loses reasonable and our few wins cause for major celebration.

I can kick ass with both legs. 

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Rafael Nadal is right handed but was forced by his uncle to play left handed in his childhood. I don't know if it was forced or something like 'if you can play with both, play with left.' He does everything else with his right hand I believe.

Didn't know that- and with the preponderance of guys using two handed backhands today probably not unusual. On lower level tennis, lots of guys have trouble with left handed players because of the reverse spin on serves. But my good friend and doubles partner- we were almost equal in ability- we practiced against each other so much- for him,  it was pretty easy when he ran across a left handed player in a tournament. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

I can kick ass with both legs. 

Hmmmm, now that you're into legs- I was the designated punter in our street football games, and I punt with my right foot.  

Want some real fun?

Try to pitch, from the stretch, with your off-hand. 

Not only are you trying to throw with your wrong arm, but your whole mechanics get thrown off. You'll instinctively try to raise your wrong leg the first few times. 😁

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You'll instinctively try to raise your wrong leg the first few times. 😁

At my age I only raise my leg to pee...

Meanwhile... why was Baker effin' around with the Brewers instead of the Tribe?

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

At my age I only raise my leg to pee...

Meanwhile... why was Baker effin' around with the Brewers instead of the Tribe?

He's good friends with Christian Yelich I believe. 

Archived