THE BROWNS BOARD

Kareem Hunt suspended 8 games

runyon27

I don’t fully understand the logic in not appealing the length of the suspension? Does he somehow think by doing that the whole world will sigh and proclaim, “he really IS an ok dude. He served his time...”

If memory serves, it’s his first official offense, and it seems that any past players who have appealed similar decisions for a first offense get anywhere from 2 games to half the sentence lopped off.

It’s not like the NFL is the actual court system with pages and pages of regulations for things like this. They pretty much make it up as they go and hope it appeases the court of public opinion. It’s kind of asinine from a business perspective why he wouldn’t appeal. 

9 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I don’t fully understand the logic in not appealing the length of the suspension? Does he somehow think by doing that the whole world will sigh and proclaim, “he really IS an ok dude. He served his time...”

If memory serves, it’s his first official offense, and it seems that any past players who have appealed similar decisions for a first offense get anywhere from 2 games to half the sentence lopped off.

It’s not like the NFL is the actual court system with pages and pages of regulations for things like this. They pretty much make it up as they go and hope it appeases the court of public opinion. It’s kind of asinine from a business perspective why he wouldn’t appeal. 

Precisely, they make it up as they go, and appeals are often dismissed...

In addition....it really may not have been considered his "first offense".   The NFL's investigation was apparently also looking into 2 other incidents......so in essence, they may have viewed those as "prior offenses"...to this incident with the girl at The Nine.

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Precisely, they make it up as they go, and appeals are often dismissed...

In addition....it really may not have been considered his "first offense".   The NFL's investigation was apparently also looking into 2 other incidents......so in essence, they may have viewed those as "prior offenses"...to this incident with the girl at The Nine.

Josh Gordon, Ray Rice and Tom Brady all come to mind as players who have appealed first infractions and had their suspensions reduced. 

You may be on to something though with the “2 other incidents” thing. Has it even been reported what those incidents were? If not, appealing would probably bring them to light, and Kareem probably could use less bad publicity, so 8 games it is...

45 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think we only signed him to a one year deal. 

I also think that it is only the team that originally drafts someone that retains those  5 year rights.   If he gets cut by that original team....he is then a pure free agent, free to deal with whomever....no matter how many years he has in the league.

If that is wrong, please advise.

I think he is not meaning on a rookie deal, but any deal. I don't know the rule, but hes meaning accrue for the 1 year deal. Think Leveon Bell. When he was originally going to come back, he was going to do it right before his play wouldn't have effected his FA. Last year never counted, so Pitt could have done the same thing and not have had the multiplier with tag

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I think we only signed him to a one year deal. 

I also think that it is only the team that originally drafts someone that retains those  5 year rights.   If he gets cut by that original team....he is then a pure free agent, free to deal with whomever....no matter how many years he has in the league.

If that is wrong, please advise.

Nope- apparently FA rights depend on accrued years of service:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/kareem-hunt-21828/ 

Straight out of the NFL bylaws... 

"In the 2018 league year, players with three accrued seasons who have received a qualifying offer become restricted free agents when their contracts expire at the end of the 2017 league year on March 14.

Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons. Upon expiration of his 2017 contract, an unrestricted free agent can sign with any club with no draft choice compensation owed to his old club."

To jog your memory a bit- the Patriots were able to slap a second round tender on Gordon, even though they didn't draft him...   

51 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I think he is not meaning on a rookie deal, but any deal. I don't know the rule, but hes meaning accrue for the 1 year deal. Think Leveon Bell. When he was originally going to come back, he was going to do it right before his play wouldn't have effected his FA. Last year never counted, so Pitt could have done the same thing and not have had the multiplier with tag

Bell was a different case- with different rules...  Le'veon already had four accrued seasons in 2017, and was eligible to become a UFA. The Steelers slapped Franchise Tag #1 on him, which he signed. Bellyachin' Bell couldn't come to an agreement with Pittsburgh- so the Steelers slapped Franchise Tag #2 on him, which he didn't sign. This year, the Steelers only options were to hit Bell with Franchise Tag #3, paying him Cousins\ Rodgers money, trying to work out a sign & trade, or let him walk. We know how that turned out.   

So it would seem whether a player signs his franchise tag or not- it still counts against the team that's trying to franchise him. It was uncharted territory, as Bell was the first player IIRC to go that route and not sign the tag. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Bell was a different case- with different rules...  Le'veon already had four accrued seasons in 2017, and was eligible to become a UFA. The Steelers slapped Franchise Tag #1 on him, which he signed. Bellyachin' Bell couldn't come to an agreement with Pittsburgh- so the Steelers slapped Franchise Tag #2 on him, which he didn't sign. This year, the Steelers only options were to hit Bell with Franchise Tag #3, paying him Cousins\ Rodgers money, trying to work out a sign & trade, or let him walk. We know how that turned out.   

So it would seem whether a player signs his franchise tag or not- it still counts against the team that's trying to franchise him. It was uncharted territory, as Bell was the first player IIRC to go that route and not sign the tag. 

From my understanding, and yes I know it's a different example, just using it to loosely connect it, is that it wouldn't have counted as 3rd tag, as last year wasn't accrued. 

But like I said, I didn't look up the rule. Just what I thought the poster was meaning by his post about accrued. I could certainly be wrong, it has happened once in my life lol jk

6 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

From my understanding, and yes I know it's a different example, just using it to loosely connect it, is that it wouldn't have counted as 3rd tag, as last year wasn't accrued. 

But like I said, I didn't look up the rule. Just what I thought the poster was meaning by his post about accrued. I could certainly be wrong, it has happened once in my life lol jk

:) and what I was saying was- it wouldn't have mattered if it was an accrued season or not- Bell already had enough accrued seasons. The Steelers tagged him a second time. Which counted in the progressive UFA scale, at least to my understanding. So it was pay Bell top QB money, or let him walk.  

15 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Optics imo....browns already took flak for signing him. They push an appeal and win, the public outcry will start up again. Apparently the duration was negotiated with hunts lawyer this time, so he accepted the 8 games and is putting it behind him.

Not appealing was absolutely the right call. 

3 hours ago, choco said:

Optics imo....browns already took flak for signing him. They push an appeal and win, the public outcry will start up again. Apparently the duration was negotiated with hunts lawyer this time, so he accepted the 8 games and is putting it behind him.

Not appealing was absolutely the right call. 

Great point choco & I agree. Accept it & move on.

Mike

got no issues here..got the 6 for his sorry-ness..got 2 more for the 2 additional other issues...it's what Hunt does from that point forward to turn his life around that matters.News is good around Berea from JD on Hunt.NFL must see documentation also..Drop the booze & the friends that need women flings and look straight forward..Avoid the demons in life & make UT 🚀 proud again Kareem..good luck!!

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

:) and what I was saying was- it wouldn't have mattered if it was an accrued season or not- Bell already had enough accrued seasons. The Steelers tagged him a second time. Which counted in the progressive UFA scale, at least to my understanding. So it was pay Bell top QB money, or let him walk.  

I forget the exact percentage, but when to retag a player there's a multiplier to his prior year's tag... and it gets pretty steep for the 3rd tagging.

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I forget the exact percentage, but when to retag a player there's a multiplier to his prior year's tag... and it gets pretty steep for the 3rd tagging.

You may be the cap guru- which I still don't entirely understand, at least as it relates to dead cap. But I have a pretty good handle on the Franchise tag. 1st tag = average of the five highest paid players at his position. 2nd tag equals a 120% increase over the 1st tag. Third tag? you have two options. 1) give the player a 144% raise. 2) or non-exclusive tag him (see the quote from Sporting News) pay him the average of the five highest salaries in the league.  The Steelers had no choice but to let him walk. You can't tag a player four times.  

"In the case of Bell, even though he did not get an accrued season in 2018, if he were to be tagged again by the Steelers in 2019, it would count as his third franchise tag; it would not revert to his second. Per the CBA, Pittsburgh in that case would be required to tender Bell non-exclusively (with first- and third-round comp picks attached) at the average of the top five highest-paid players at the league's highest-paid position."

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

2) or non-exclusive tag him (see the quote from Sporting News) pay him the average of the five highest salaries in the league.

Ah... thus your bringing QB salaries into the mix...

Since I already learned something this morning, it's time to call it a day... Goodnite everybody!

Archived