THE BROWNS BOARD

Kareem Hunt suspended 8 games

runyon27

5 minutes ago, darren15 said:

OK now do we grab CJ Anderson on a 1 year deal ?  or draft a RB in rounds 5-7 ?

As Duke will still be traded in my opinion

My first thought is that he is more valuable to the team as the backup and third down back for half a season when we are trying to contend, than the mid-round pick we would get for him.

Z

You guys are freaking fast.. Was just coming here to post that.....

8 games is NOT BAD for us.. Shitty for the league in showing that it's not OK to act that way, but good for us as a team.. Not sure how I feel about that, but putting that aside, this is INCREDIBLE news for the Browns.. And really puts Duke in a tough spot. We will need him for 1/2 the season.. And then it will be a question mark for him.

Was Dorsey's whole reason for taking Hunt to use him in a later deal to get draft picks for 2020? Or was he really planning to use him... But 8 games is great news and again shows why Dorsey is great.. Picked up a 1st round talent, top NFL rusher for 1 million dollars.. Crazy.

Dorsey's thought process reminds me of a character from the Walking Dead.. Shane... In season 1 he already understands that things have changed.. He does things and people hate him for it.. But by season 5 everyone is acting that way.. Shane just got to that point of view faster than everyone else..

While everyone was scoring PC points by staying away from Hunt, Dorsey went for the jugular. He knew that 6 months later, someone was going to grab him and pay a lot more for him... Dorsey just skipped all the hand wringing and just did it now... All the owners and coaches were going to pick Hunt up again, without a doubt. But they were playing a game that Dorsey chose not to play... He said "fuck it" why wait... That is what leaders do. He took the heat for this pick, so that Kitchens didn't have to.

BobPound

I would prefer a 11 game suspension. Well, now we know what we play with.

58 minutes ago, Dawg in MD said:

Duke has great hands, he isn't going anywhere with that length of suspension. BTW Hunt deserved every game he received, no excuses for domestic violence, period!

It was NOT Domestic Violence.  I understand that some laymen may not comprehend the difference, but there is a legal difference between domestic violence and  just "assault'.   For it to be 'domestic violence', the victim must be a relative or a member of the perpetrator's household.  This person was neither.

Now, the base legal punishment may not be different if this were a charged offense (fines/jail time).....but with Domestic Violence comes another whole set of parameters, relating to potential restraining orders etc. 

Of course, to the NFL....they may not apply the distinction....as they operate on their own set of rules.  (that is...they really have no rules, they just make it up as they go.   You just hope they show some consistency).

Speaking of consistency.....what did they give Joe Mixon?

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It was NOT Domestic Violence.  I understand that some laymen may not comprehend the difference, but there is a legal difference between domestic violence and  just "assault'.   For it to be 'domestic violence', the victim must be a relative or a member of the perpetrator's household.  This person was neither.

Now, the base legal punishment may not be different if this were a charged offense (fines/jail time).....but with Domestic Violence comes another whole set of parameters, relating to potential restraining orders etc. 

Of course, to the NFL....they may not apply the distinction....as they operate on their own set of rules.  (that is...they really have no rules, they just make it up as they go.   You just hope they show some consistency).

Speaking of consistency.....what did they give Joe Mixon?

The NFL gave Mixon nothing, as he wasn't a member when the incident happened. Oklahoma did suspend him for a year though.

32 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again, with the time on the Exempt list....it was more like a 13 game or more suspension....so you got what you want.

I think the games missed is retro to the sentence so to speak.. meaning.. when KC cut him.. I think they're counting these games (2018) as well..

40 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Duke is all but expendable now because Hunt should have all the mental reps he'll need and be able to contribute every down once he's back. 

So 2 RBs until week 9? 

unless there’s a rookie in the mix.

1. Chubb

2. Hilliard

3. Rookie?

Personally I don’t see Duke as a RB, but more of a weapon.

2 hours ago, Dawg in MD said:

Duke has great hands, he isn't going anywhere with that length of suspension. BTW Hunt deserved every game he received, no excuses for domestic violence, period!

It was a love tap.  4 games max...givwn the current climate

50 minutes ago, nickers said:

I think the games missed is retro to the sentence so to speak.. meaning.. when KC cut him.. I think they're counting these games (2018) as well..

If they don't, they should.  After all, Usually when someone is cut, they can be picked up right away and put into the lineup.   Putting Hunt on the exempt list excluded any team from doing that. If anyone had signed him, the NFL would not let him play.  If that isn't a suspension, what is it?

40 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

So 2 RBs until week 9? 

unless there’s a rookie in the mix.

1. Chubb

2. Hilliard

3. Rookie?

Personally I don’t see Duke as a RB, but more of a weapon.

Yes, no, that is why getting rid of him, imo, would be dumb.  And yes, he is a weapon....one that can run and one that can catch. All teams want a guy like that.

If we got rid of him....we would need to look for someone just like him.   And I do not believe Hilliard...or Chubb....are that guy.

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, no, that is why getting rid of him, imo, would be dumb.  And yes, he is a weapon....one that can run and one that can catch. All teams want a guy like that.

If we got rid of him....we would need to look for someone just like him.   And I do not believe Hilliard...or Chubb....are that guy.

It will be fun seeing who teams chose to dble team.. Pick your poison..

2 hours ago, darren15 said:

OK now do we grab CJ Anderson on a 1 year deal ?  or draft a RB in rounds 5-7 ? As Duke will still be traded in my opinion

Only a question of when the trade happens.

NFL in-season trade deadline is usually at the end of October. That would put Hunt back in our lineup before the deadline.

So IMO, unless Dors gets "an offer he can't refuse", you hold onto Duke for now and then around mid-season when some team(s) will be desperate for an RB you fleece 'em.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Again, with the time on the Exempt list....it was more like a 13 game or more suspension....so you got what you want.

I said that because I believe that you have to play 6 regular games to accrue (right term? #secondlanguage) a season. In my mind, we would hold his rights for one more season while we would have him for a playoff run. But maybe I was wrong and playoff games count too.

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Only a question of when the trade happens.

NFL in-season trade deadline is usually at the end of October. That would put Hunt back in our lineup before the deadline.

So IMO, unless Dors gets "an offer he can't refuse", you hold onto Duke for now and then around mid-season when some team(s) will be desperate for an RB you fleece 'em.

Exactamundo Tour. Should Chubb get hurt before Hunt's suspension is over, minus Duke, we're up shit Creek at running back. I'm sure Dorsey will take that possibility into account before he decides to move Johnson.

32 minutes ago, Nero said:

I said that because I believe that you have to play 6 regular games to accrue (right term? #secondlanguage) a season. In my mind, we would hold his rights for one more season while we would have him for a playoff run. But maybe I was wrong and playoff games count too.

Two things.

1) Dorsey doesn't want to get a bad rap among players shafting Hunt to control his rights for another year.

2) Signing OBJ says it's win now mode. Bet the ranch Kareem is activated the second the rules say he can be.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I think we only signed him to a one year deal. 

I also think that it is only the team that originally drafts someone that retains those  5 year rights.   If he gets cut by that original team....he is then a pure free agent, free to deal with whomever....no matter how many years he has in the league.

If that is wrong, please advise.

Archived