THE BROWNS BOARD

What about (backup) QB?

jrb12711

Throughout all the glitz of this wonderful offseason, a circle I'm continuing to draw is who our back-up QB may be. I'm knocking on every piece of wood imaginable typing, but we need a viable back-up if Baker needs to miss any time. This offense is going to insanely talented, so a back-up could be a vital cog if we need him for any length of time.

Tyrod is going to want of Cleveland, and it seems Miami is strongly interested in him as a bridge guy. I'd argue he's without a doubt the best FA vet out there in the QB market, but I think he gets pryed away. I'm not crazy on the idea of having a rookie behind Mayfield either, so what does that leave? Curious what you all think.

I don't feel bad with Stanton should he have to step in for a game here or there with a rook or the kid from last season on the PS.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I don't feel bad with Stanton should he have to step in for a game here or there with a rook or the kid from last season on the PS.

Have to admit, on the contrary Stanton doesn't cut it for me. It's obvious he did a lot for Baker's development, but as the #2? Not so sure

5 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I think we will let the dust settle on the QB bonanza and then choose a backup, no rush as Stanton can hold the job.

I'm hearing Tyrod may be a bridge QB in Miami.

Zombo

Yeah, can't blame Tyrod for trying to get another crack at QB #1. He's the best back-up candidate out there right now, but someone's going to throw decent money at him as a result. Agree though, I hope when the dust settles Fitzpatrick is still around. Still clearly has gas in the tank as a 2-3 game if needed guy, but may come at too high of a cost.

16 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

He's an unrestricted FA, which means we'd have to do a sign and trade which teams wouldn't go for unless I'm sorely mistaken.

46 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

I think we made a major upgrade at Special Teams Coach ... So I sleep better knowing we are not going into the season with a clowncar at kicker like 2018.

Zombo

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

A game, even a half of a football game where a back-up needs to play to potentially win isn't something to scoff at in the NFL. Being concerned about the primary back-up at the most important position on the field isn't something to gloss over. 

9 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

Was Sam Wyche attending as well? :)

20 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

All we can say is that if the Cardinals want him, he is theirs for the taking.   Kliff Kingsbury, a college coach wants to run a college offense, why should they deny him if they were going to hire him.

IF they don't take him.....then who would?  would the Giants want him to run their offense?  Does not seem a fit.  

Miami or Washington move up?

46 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

In one way or the other, I think he will go no later than #3 and be the first QB taken. He's apparently looked strong today at his pro day (although he didn't run the 40 or get remeasured). The hype train is going to come off the rails the next month or so and someone will trade up OR Cardinals take him #1. 

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I would not bet against it, but cannot see AZ picking him.

And I think NYG is more likely to take Haskins.

15 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

A game, even a half of a football game where a back-up needs to play to potentially win isn't something to scoff at in the NFL. Being concerned about the primary back-up at the most important position on the field isn't something to gloss over. 

If we had a competent FG kicker last season, we're in the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I would not bet against it, but cannot see AZ picking him.

And I think NYG is more likely to take Haskins.

Agree, Haskins will be the first QB off the board.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Haskins will be the first QB off the board.

Not me... you can feel Murray's stock rising from the gushing over what I saw to be his pretty mediocre Pro Day.

I think it's a coin flip between Murray and Bosa for #1 overall

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not me... you can feel Murray's stock rising from the gushing over what I saw to be his pretty mediocre Pro Day.

I think it's a coin flip between Murray and Bosa for #1 overall

Whomever gets Murray has bought fool's gold in the NFL IMO. He didn't run the 40 because he stuffed himself too much for combine weight and could not shed it fast enough to regain speed for Pro day. So now you get a slower version who still throws high arching lollipops long distances. A safety's dream.

4 minutes ago, darren15 said:

As far as kicker is concerned Gostkowski remains unsigned

I think he'll take a hometown discount to stay with Pats his family is embedded in Boston.

Z

Archived