Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jrb12711

What about (backup) QB?

Recommended Posts

Throughout all the glitz of this wonderful offseason, a circle I'm continuing to draw is who our back-up QB may be. I'm knocking on every piece of wood imaginable typing, but we need a viable back-up if Baker needs to miss any time. This offense is going to insanely talented, so a back-up could be a vital cog if we need him for any length of time.

Tyrod is going to want of Cleveland, and it seems Miami is strongly interested in him as a bridge guy. I'd argue he's without a doubt the best FA vet out there in the QB market, but I think he gets pryed away. I'm not crazy on the idea of having a rookie behind Mayfield either, so what does that leave? Curious what you all think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel bad with Stanton should he have to step in for a game here or there with a rook or the kid from last season on the PS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will let the dust settle on the QB bonanza and then choose a backup, no rush as Stanton can hold the job.

I'm hearing Tyrod may be a bridge QB in Miami.

Zombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bridge to nowhere?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I don't feel bad with Stanton should he have to step in for a game here or there with a rook or the kid from last season on the PS.

 

Have to admit, on the contrary Stanton doesn't cut it for me. It's obvious he did a lot for Baker's development, but as the #2? Not so sure

5 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I think we will let the dust settle on the QB bonanza and then choose a backup, no rush as Stanton can hold the job.

I'm hearing Tyrod may be a bridge QB in Miami.

Zombo

Yeah, can't blame Tyrod for trying to get another crack at QB #1. He's the best back-up candidate out there right now, but someone's going to throw decent money at him as a result. Agree though, I hope when the dust settles Fitzpatrick is still around. Still clearly has gas in the tank as a 2-3 game if needed guy, but may come at too high of a cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

A bridge to nowhere?

Good point, they are in a tough spot at #13, aren't they? Maybe they have a QB prospect they like.

Zombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

 

He's an unrestricted FA, which means we'd have to do a sign and trade which teams wouldn't go for unless I'm sorely mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobPOUND! said:

What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

 

Tyrod is a free agent, so we will get nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

A bridge to nowhere?

Wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins try to trade up for Haskins to beat the Giants to the punch there.

Barring that, at #13, maybe they will be looking at like Drew Lock or others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

I think we made a major upgrade at Special Teams Coach ... So I sleep better knowing we are not going into the season with a clowncar at kicker like 2018.

Zombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

A game, even a half of a football game where a back-up needs to play to potentially win isn't something to scoff at in the NFL. Being concerned about the primary back-up at the most important position on the field isn't something to gloss over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins try to trade up for Haskins to beat the Giants to the punch there.

I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

Was Sam Wyche attending as well? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

Yep, that too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

All we can say is that if the Cardinals want him, he is theirs for the taking.   Kliff Kingsbury, a college coach wants to run a college offense, why should they deny him if they were going to hire him.

IF they don't take him.....then who would?  would the Giants want him to run their offense?  Does not seem a fit.  

Miami or Washington move up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

In one way or the other, I think he will go no later than #3 and be the first QB taken. He's apparently looked strong today at his pro day (although he didn't run the 40 or get remeasured). The hype train is going to come off the rails the next month or so and someone will trade up OR Cardinals take him #1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

I would not bet against it, but cannot see AZ picking him.

And I think NYG is more likely to take Haskins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

A game, even a half of a football game where a back-up needs to play to potentially win isn't something to scoff at in the NFL. Being concerned about the primary back-up at the most important position on the field isn't something to gloss over. 

If we had a competent FG kicker last season, we're in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I would not bet against it, but cannot see AZ picking him.

And I think NYG is more likely to take Haskins.

Agree, Haskins will be the first QB off the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Haskins will be the first QB off the board.

Not me... you can feel Murray's stock rising from the gushing over what I saw to be his pretty mediocre Pro Day.

I think it's a coin flip between Murray and Bosa for #1 overall

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not me... you can feel Murray's stock rising from the gushing over what I saw to be his pretty mediocre Pro Day.

I think it's a coin flip between Murray and Bosa for #1 overall

 

Whomever gets Murray has bought fool's gold in the NFL IMO. He didn't run the 40 because he stuffed himself too much for combine weight and could not shed it fast enough to regain speed for Pro day. So now you get a slower version who still throws high arching lollipops long distances. A safety's dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as kicker is concerned Gostkowski remains unsigned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, darren15 said:

As far as kicker is concerned Gostkowski remains unsigned

I think he'll take a hometown discount to stay with Pats his family is embedded in Boston.

Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×