THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign TE Demetrius Harris From KC

BobPOUND!

Also cheaper I believe...

But this 'he's a good blocker" stuff simply is not the case. Harris may be a better blocker than Njoku and DeValve have been, but that doesn't mean he's "good".

Not every Dorsey recruit is/will be a talent of mythical proportions as some here seem to believe. Some are just role guys with upside potential that may or may not be realized.

13 hours ago, darren15 said:

This guy is an upgrade on Fells in my opinion...... and 5 years younger

What in particular do you see him doing better than Fells especially in the role he'll be needed most for (if we keep in perspective what Njoku was drafted in round 1 to do)?

Fells may be older, but his NFL wear and tear didn't start until his late 20s/early 30s.   Yeah, we got rid of the 2 million $ against the cap - but our cap health is fine with or without him.   What I liked most about him was his ability to help set the edge while he also showcased some big play ability when called upon.  IMO, Fells gave us the same quality dual purpose TE reliability/role Steve Heiden once gave us (back when the sum of knee surgeries limited Winslow's ability to help set the edge). It's a pretty significant role in red zone and short yardage situations. My biggest worry in losing Fells is the same one I had about losing Zeitler on the right side - is his replacement ready to help Hubbard when he struggles?  As hard as it seems to question anything Dorsey is doing right now, this particular decision feels like a head scratcher.   I've been wrong before though...

Back in the day, Harris ran a 4.56 forty, and still didn't get drafted. He has that huge advantage over Fells - Fells is about 270?

I don't know what Harris weights, but he has the ability to get downfield. He apparently is still only 230 lbs, but is primarily a good blocker.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/03/demetrius-harris-signed-by-the-browns-3-things-to-know-about-the-tight-end.html

1. Block first, catch passes later

Harris isn’t being acquired to compete with David Njoku for top pass-catching tight end on the roster. He’s in Cleveland to block. Harris was Pro Football Focus’ ninth-ranked blocking tight end in 2018. He was also the Chiefs’ top-graded tight end blocker (72.0). Travis Kelce graded at 59.7. He has never caught more than 18 passes in a season and has started 33 of 71 career games.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

As hard as it seems to question anything Dorsey is doing right now, this particular decision feels like a head scratcher.   I've been wrong before though...

As a former TE, i follow all the geek numbers..1) Harris drop rate finished dead last among qualifying TE's. 2) Harris is a former Depaul basketball player with a quarter inch under 83" total wingspan, that knows how to box out. 3) If you put Harris's combine numbers/proday in this TE draft class he finished 3rd overall :o.. 4.57 40 put him faster than Ertz & Eifert in same draft class & is faster than Fells getting to 8 yard dump routes. 4)Dallas Clark prepped Harris from B-ball to Football..5) Pff grades Harris just ahead of Fells in pass blocking 73.9/72.9/ but Harris is way ahead in Run Blocking 72/55.9..6) Lastly, Dorsey is still using anna & lynic's for explosion times at ball snap mixing in with his gamefilm work.Harris arms are 34 1/4 with his hand size puts him ahead of both Iowa TE's in this draft. Numbers in Vert./Broad Jump,10 yard splits & 3 cones he ranks highly also..Hey... we all can be wrong, so i join you in this TE crab shoot..add in, cheaper,younger with some good annie numbers..what could go wrong? ;)   

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Pff grades Harris just ahead of Fells in pass blocking 73.9/72.9/ but Harris is way ahead in Run Blocking 72/55.9..6

He's Fells with better run blocking.  It's an upgrade in the trenches.

8 hours ago, gumby73 said:

As a former TE, i follow all the geek numbers..1) Harris drop rate finished dead last among qualifying TE's. 2) Harris is a former Depaul basketball player with a quarter inch under 83" total wingspan, that knows how to box out. 3) If you put Harris's combine numbers/proday in this TE draft class he finished 3rd overall :o.. 4.57 40 put him faster than Ertz & Eifert in same draft class & is faster than Fells getting to 8 yard dump routes. 4)Dallas Clark prepped Harris from B-ball to Football..5) Pff grades Harris just ahead of Fells in pass blocking 73.9/72.9/ but Harris is way ahead in Run Blocking 72/55.9..6) Lastly, Dorsey is still using anna & lynic's for explosion times at ball snap mixing in with his gamefilm work.Harris arms are 34 1/4 with his hand size puts him ahead of both Iowa TE's in this draft. Numbers in Vert./Broad Jump,10 yard splits & 3 cones he ranks highly also..Hey... we all can be wrong, so i join you in this TE crab shoot..add in, cheaper,younger with some good annie numbers..what could go wrong? ;)   

Great stuff Gumbs!  Despite the PFF ratings, I think it was much more difficult to help our UFA Rookie LT (for the first 7 or 8 games) and RT Hubbard (who struggled the first half of 2018) than it was to help 1st round LT Eric Fisher and RT Mitch Schwartz.  KC ended up in the AFC Championship Game because of their offense that Dorsey did a fine job of putting together...  All that considered, I thought Fells did an excellent job via the eye ball test.   If we upgraded him for less $ - that will be awesome...

9 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Amazing how this team has been GARBAGE since Kosar and now every little move Dorsey makes people on this board want to nitpick. 

That or you could keep things in the context they are presented in.  I made sure to include this statement "As hard as it seems to question anything Dorsey is doing right now" you re-contexted it to the bold above.

Dorsey was the guy who signed Fells in 2018, and I liked it and appreciated it enough to want to keep it in 2019 right?  How is that wanting to nitpick every little move Dorsey makes? 

If I didn't like what Dorsey was doing, I wouldn't have predicted an 8-8 record last year coming off 0-16 the year before...

Archived