THE BROWNS BOARD

OBJ is a BROWN!!!!!

Canton Mike

First..1) I don't believe a word of the media's BS reporting, that Duke did show up to first day of OTA's.. Than *poof* he was gone, than reported he never showed..Somebody had to see him to report that..My guess, Duke was told to go home till manidory.(or ?).No risk of OTA injury..                                                                                                                                              Second.. 2) Freddie got trapped in his own words from today's presser, to the comments Freddie made back at the start of OTA's. When the media was hounding on him about OBJ missing OTA's.. No Big Deal! There ain't a Owner,GM nor Coach out there, that can make something voluntary..manidory..   Finally.. it's time to get to work.. 

17 hours ago, nickers said:

The "Me" players of this generation of players irk's me... So  far OBJ seems to be all about himself... That's the feeilng I get..... Not being here with his teamates gives me the impression that he's selfish...

NFL Radio was all over OBJ this morning for NOT being a real leader with his selfish decision to not attend OTAs. They were predicting that the Browns would tire of him after a while like the Giants did for his self first above team attitude . We shall see.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

NFL Radio was all over OBJ this morning for NOT being a real leader with his selfish decision to not attend OTAs. They were predicting that the Browns would tire of him after a while like the Giants did for his self first above team attitude . We shall see.

Him not attending didn't set right with me either.

I have grown real tired of the media bashing of OBJ.

First, I'll say that I would have loved to see him at voluntary OTA's & think he should have been here, BUT they ARE voluntary & the media (esp Mary Kay & Grossi) need to get off his ass. He was signed to a huge contract last year by the Giants & was totally blindsided by the trade. I'm certain he had his offseason plans made, reservations made, confirmed, & probably paid prior to the trade, so they need to accept that & see what takes place when he gets here & hits the field. We finally have a "Super Star" in Cleveland, so why not just wait & see just how he takes care of business on the field where it counts..

The Browns culture has changed from "bush league" to "upper level" NFL. The Team, Fans, & League have bought into that. Now it's time for our "still bush league" media (MKC & TG) to can it with their negativity & buy into this culture change. It's been reported by them that Freddie is upset with OBJ. Listening to his PCs, I'm not hearing that. I'm hearing that he wishes OBJ was here & wants him to be here. IMHO, I feel his actual frustration is with the repeated, inane questions from the media & it's mostly those 2.

I'm not sure whether or not I stated this properly, but the local, continued negative reporting at the most positive time we've experienced with our Browns in MANY years is disgusting.

Just my opinion. Please excuse my rant.

Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

First, I'll say that I would have loved to see him at voluntary OTA's & think he should have been here, BUT they ARE voluntary & the media (esp Mary Kay & Grossi) need to get off his ass. He was signed to a huge contract last year by the Giants & was totally blindsided by the trade. I'm certain he had his offseason plans made, reservations made, confirmed, & probably paid prior to the trade, so they need to accept that & see what takes place when he gets here & hits the field. We finally have a "Super Star" in Cleveland, so why not just wait & see just how he takes care of business on the field where it counts..

The Browns culture has changed from "bush league" to "upper level" NFL. The Team, Fans, & League have bought into that. Now it's time for our "still bush league" media (MKC & TG) to can it with their negativity & buy into this culture change. It's been reported by them that Freddie is upset with OBJ. Listening to his PCs, I'm not hearing that. I'm hearing that he wishes OBJ was here & wants him to be here. IMHO, I feel his actual frustration is with the repeated, inane questions from the media & it's mostly those 2.

I'm not sure whether or not I stated this properly, but the local, continued negative reporting at the most positive time we've experienced with our Browns in MANY years is disgusting.

Mike

I share your opinion Mike. And I hope all serious Browns fans have learned to ignore those click bait artists. Grossi got fired for a reason. Even should the Browns make the next 10 Super Bowls- they'd still find something to bitch about- it happens in New England- it will happen here. 

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I guess there's nothing worse for the media "health" than having two bad reporters of a small market becoming suddenly "mainstream" simply because the lights are suddenly on the team the report about...

Now they want to play in the major league, and the only major league attribute they have is that they can become very annoying, I guess.

Well said Canton Mike 👍..here's another perfect example of MKC throwing something quoted..to stir the pot https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/06/odell-beckham-jr-ill-be-there-on-the-3rd.html  Honestly, this same thing goes on in most media markets, when you would think they would all be ore'ing the same boat, in the same direction.MKC & Grossi might be the worst "your word" diggers in any market though.These media darlings never miss a quote such as "train in Cali"///"need to bond with team"..They poke the sharp side of the stick where they see needed.. am still kinda lost on Freddie's OTA week 3 quote of "I speak to Odel everyday. He will know the offense installed". Till now quoting "he missed the offense" Was there a disconnect on OBJ's part? to be continued..cause I'd be damn if Tony or Mary will let this go.. #don'tsay2much  

9 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Great summary Mike!  

After Grossi was unsuccessful at predicting Baker would disappoint like Manziel only this time at level of a 1st overall pick being flushed down the toilet; he set out to make OBJ the very next Andre Rison type of disappointment.  Grossi and Mary Kay Yeahbut are more interested being the first ones to invent the hole in the new ship being constructed hoping it's another ship sinker.  Grossi's agenda has been clear since the day OBJ got traded here (without OBJ's knowledge I might add).  He'd rather focus on putting the message out there as often as he can that we just signed another Andre Rison.  Once this creates a band wagon picking up passengers and recruiting other media members - guess who's all proud he was first to create it all once again?  The second this franchise wins consistently, guess who disappears like a Houdini rabbit?   There is no way that guy wants this franchise to win; because he's gained far too much personally from all of it's short comings and tragedies.

I often wonder when we lost this team if Grossi wasn't more depressed about losing the ability to instigate and invent more problems than merely just losing the franchise that's been embedded in our family traditions, community and culture.  The guy has a God complex that easily recruits people trained to be cynics.  They will defend him like you see people in various cults defending their cult leaders who took advantage of their vulnerabilities pretending to have their best interests at heart while he's the only one that profits from doing so. 

YEAH, we sucked for a LONG time so the rock star FAs/vets weren't interested in touching this place.  Even OBJ didn't really have much of a say in the trade if I remember it right.  There's been years we've had a lot of money and the alibi for never bringing in the most talented vets available was they wanted to win. The vets we did get via trade or FA usually were flawed or had best football in the rear view mirror.  We got so used to all that - we almost stopped questioning the FO for leaving so much money unspent while overpaying/overcompensating on others when we had to at least sign somebody.   Grossi and Mary Kay Yeahbut have been waiting for an opportunity like OBJ.  What can be better than being the man behind creating a cult following of cynics because a superstar veteran is missing voluntary practices in May?  Remember when Seth Wickerscam wanted to be first to predict the end of the dynasty in NE the offseason after NE beat Atlanta in the SB?  Yeah, he juiced up a story that there was a 3 way War of the Roses Divorce taking place between Brady, Kraft and BB.  And why?   Tom Brady was missing voluntary OTAs in May while pictures of him and his wife horseback riding outside of the country surfaced.  Here's the thing, a true professional that has worked his tail off to get where he is - never stops putting in the work during the off-season.  If anyone ever reads up on OBJ - a lot of sweat and busting tail has gone into his earning the spotlight. And when he had the brutal compound ankle fracture - a lot of hard work went into him getting back to the same level of performance.  Just like Tom Brady, OBJ has repeatedly proven he knows how to strength and condition his way to the level of performance that makes him a superstar regardless of Grossi's agenda throughout April and May...

In the end, if anyone wants to trust Grossi or Mary Kay because Cleveland USED TO suck - than keep trusting those 2.  That said, Cleveland has some sports writers without shadey agendas that are worth the read.  T Pluto and Steve D are pretty good at telling it like it is. When criticism is warranted - they provide it. But they also put some effort and passion into their research that's made for some great reads throughout the years. Grossi and Mary Kay Yeahbut are nothing more than Colin Cowherds so I choose not to buy what they're selling.  That said, Jerry Springer dominated the #1 viewer ranking for years in daytime television thanks in large to his biggest critics feeding those ratings with their insatiable all you can eat appetite.  Colin Cowherd tries to do the same thing.  The same fans in here are still his most reliable ratings feeders to the extent he's become a repeat subject heading with countless views and participants.  If you feed something - it strengthens and grows. If you starve it - it withers and dies.   If we're still feeding Grossi and Yeahbut - we need a new hobby...

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Great summary Mike!  

After Grossi was unsuccessful at predicting Baker would disappoint like Manziel only this time at level of a 1st overall pick being flushed down the toilet; he set out to make OBJ the very next Andre Rison type of disappointment.  Grossi and Mary Kay Yeahbut are more interested being the first ones to invent the hole in the new ship being constructed hoping it's another ship sinker.  Grossi's agenda has been clear since the day OBJ got traded here (without OBJ's knowledge I might add).  He'd rather focus on putting the message out there as often as he can that we just signed another Andre Rison.  Once this creates a band wagon picking up passengers and recruiting other media members - guess who's all proud he was first to create it all once again?  The second this franchise wins consistently, guess who disappears like a Houdini rabbit?   There is no way that guy wants this franchise to win; because he's gained far too much personally from all of it's short comings and tragedies.

I often wonder when we lost this team if Grossi wasn't more depressed about losing the ability to instigate and invent more problems than merely just losing the franchise that's been embedded in our family traditions, community and culture.  The guy has a God complex that easily recruits people trained to be cynics.  They will defend him like you see people in various cults defending their cult leaders who took advantage of their vulnerabilities pretending to have their best interests at heart while he's the only one that profits from doing so. 

YEAH, we sucked for a LONG time so the rock star FAs/vets weren't interested in touching this place.  Even OBJ didn't really have much of a say in the trade if I remember it right.  There's been years we've had a lot of money and the alibi for never bringing in the most talented vets available was they wanted to win. The vets we did get via trade or FA usually were flawed or had best football in the rear view mirror.  We got so used to all that - we almost stopped questioning the FO for leaving so much money unspent while overpaying/overcompensating on others when we had to at least sign somebody.   Grossi and Mary Kay Yeahbut have been waiting for an opportunity like OBJ.  What can be better than being the man behind creating a cult following of cynics because a superstar veteran is missing voluntary practices in May?  Remember when Seth Wickerscam wanted to be first to predict the end of the dynasty in NE the offseason after NE beat Atlanta in the SB?  Yeah, he juiced up a story that there was a 3 way War of the Roses Divorce taking place between Brady, Kraft and BB.  And why?   Tom Brady was missing voluntary OTAs in May while pictures of him and his wife horseback riding outside of the country surfaced.  Here's the thing, a true professional that has worked his tail off to get where he is - never stops putting in the work during the off-season.  If anyone ever reads up on OBJ - a lot of sweat and busting tail has gone into his earning the spotlight. And when he had the brutal compound ankle fracture - a lot of hard work went into him getting back to the same level of performance.  Just like Tom Brady, OBJ has repeatedly proven he knows how to strength and condition his way to the level of performance that makes him a superstar regardless of Grossi's agenda throughout April and May...

In the end, if anyone wants to trust Grossi or Mary Kay because Cleveland USED TO suck - than keep trusting those 2.  That said, Cleveland has some sports writers without shadey agendas that are worth the read.  T Pluto and Steve D are pretty good at telling it like it is. When criticism is warranted - they provide it. But they also put some effort and passion into their research that's made for some great reads throughout the years. Grossi and Mary Kay Yeahbut are nothing more than Colin Cowherds so I choose not to buy what they're selling.  That said, Jerry Springer dominated the #1 viewer ranking for years in daytime television thanks in large to his biggest critics feeding those ratings with their insatiable all you can eat appetite.  Colin Cowherd tries to do the same thing.  The same fans in here are still his most reliable ratings feeders to the extent he's become a repeat subject heading with countless views and participants.  If you feed something - it strengthens and grows. If you starve it - it withers and dies.   If we're still feeding Grossi and Yeahbut - we need a new hobby...

Bingo!

Mike

On 5/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, nickers said:

The "Me" players of this generation of players irk's me... So  far OBJ seems to be all about himself... That's the feeilng I get..... Not being here with his teamates gives me the impression that he's selfish...

Yep. I agree 100% ^^^^^^

I think we all know what we got when the deal was done. Hope it doesn't spill over to the rest of the team.

• Upvote 1

Well, you know, this attitude has been around a while:

This post could be seen as  communist propaganda:  It contains both Marx and Lennon.

7143d0ae8815447167e688c8b56051f7.jpg

• Haha 1

Lost in all of the talk about personality, diva, off the field, etc etc.  I wanted to bring perspective to something I've been working on - just what Odell brings to this offense on a personnel, ability and schematic standpoint. The addition of ODB has many excited because of the prospect of having a bonafide vertical threat.  But what I feel is being overlooked is the continued addition of players in the Dorsey mold that can generate serious YAC (yards after catch).    This carrying over of strategy is evident from his time in KC with Hill, Kelce and Kareem.  

And make no mistake while Odell is a vertical threat, his ability to create separation at the top of his routes is easily matched by his ability to get free quickly allowing him to work the underneath and intermediate throws. Something Eli Manning, especially early in his career, excelled at until the later years. 

Want any early foreshadow of how ODB obsessed Dorsey was?  Because he drafted (what he felt was) the light 2.0 version of him just a year ago.    

For reference point - 

Odell   * lead all combine receivers in 20 & 60 yard shuttle *

Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad BP
5 ft 11 14 in
(1.81 m)
198 lb
(90 kg)
32 34 in
(0.83 m)
10 in
(0.25 m)
4.43 s 1.57 s 2.58 s 3.94 s * 6.69 s   38 12 in
(0.98 m)
10 ft 2 in
(3.10 m)
7 reps

Callaway 

Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad BP
5 ft 11 in
(1.80 m)
200 lb
(91 kg)
31 12 in
(0.80 m)
9 12 in
(0.24 m)
4.41 s 1.52 s 2.57 s 4.33 s 7.00 s 34 in
(0.86 m)
10 ft 1 in
(3.07 m)
7 reps

Dorsey felt he had a player in a similar mold and pulled the trigger on the pick.   If the early camp reports are accurate, then Odell missing time from OTA's isn't quite as detrimental to the team as you might believe.   Mostly because you have a young player in need of reps getting those reps and offseason work with his QB.   Quality depth can never ever hurt your team.  Anyway, getting a bit off track but wanted to highlight that real quick for those who ever asked themselves 'Why Callaway and now why Odell?'.

Getting back to it -

Most importantly, much like Eli, Baker (with Kitchens' help) has flashed an early strength to get the ball to his receivers quickly and accurately allowing for room to operate underneath.  We just lacked the players and experience to take full advantage of the connections last season.   Enter Beckham and the (reportedly) vastly improved Callaway.   The marriage of this trio - Baker, ODB and Callaway plays into the hands of a young QB and one of the staple concepts you saw the Brownies favor this past year to help move the chains, simplify Bakers reads and attempt to setup an underwhelming bunch at more YAC.   I'm referring to the slant/flat and  slant/stick route combos.    And, IMHO, Dorsey's love affair with Beckham aside,  ODB is the best in the business working the slant from whatever spot on the field.   He is blessed with a combination of burst, strength, footwork, an ability to sink his hips and put serious speed into his cuts.    Man,  drop/spot zone, pattern zone, bump, press... doesn't really matter.   His ability to beat you deep opens the underneath work and his ability to work underneath vice versa.   

I took the liberty to time stamp examples plays from the full season highlight.  Check out these time stamps....

@ 0:54        @ 1:00        @ 2:12        @ 2:49        @ 2:57        @ 3:28      @ 4:28      @ 5:59      @ 6:10

But I would like to call your attention to 3 of those in particular and the variety of ways Beckham bets you on such a simple concept.

The play @ 1:00 

This is the slant stick combo.  The #2 receiver drives just upfield at the backer and turns inside just at the yard marker (stick), Beckham reads the linebacker being occupied and bends his route just beyond him. Eli reads this and throws with anticipation.    This is how you beat spot zones on simple routes.  Identify the key defender, read his leverage, variable your depth and present your numbers according to the structure of the offense and the route called.  

The play @ 2:57 

A nice little wrinkle played to the boundary.  Stick slant with a flat threat tossed in by Barkley. 

The play @ 3:28 

One I was excited to highlight.  Odell working from the slot a bit under Shurmur.  Something to help move him all around the formation and keep defenses on their toes.   Hard play action freezes Bradberry for just a moment, Beckham moves upfield to the DB's outside shoulder, then hits the turbo and bends around the leverage.   Picking up almost 15yac,  chunk yards and keep the offense ahead of the chains on simple and safe throws.

Side note:   Keep in mind he's not flexed off the line here, while the #1 to that side is off the line.  For those of you believing Landry exclusively plays slot reciever -   This is an example of an alignment to get our to most talented receivers working one side of the field with different wrinkles in routes and formation.    ODB's physical gifts come into play like I said earlier.  His burst, balance and strength make it incredibly difficult to get any type of clean jam on him.  Line up at the X? Doesn't matter, you have to pay him his respect as many defenses favor off coverage early downs to prevent being beaten over the top when they show 7,8 and rarely 9 man boxes... as evidenced @ 0:54 and the Giants mixing im hard play action.   THAT is how you beat man coverage, get your QB in rhythm and loosen a defense up early.  

You will see throughout that video defenses paying their respect to Beckham by giving him that breathing room.  Double said breathing room for the early down work.    Keep in mind,  I'm just highlighting what I feel Beckham is absolutely best at.   He is still a very complete receiver with a dangerous skill set and a great command of an entire route tree.   This can really make life a hell of a lot easier for Kitchens, Monken and ultimately Baker provided the work the coaching staff puts in is in line with the glimpses we've seen.   The ability to do the same things of great simplicity, but just window dressed is a rare treat at any level of football.  

What sets our new HC apart from our previous ones isn't so much his southern twang charm,  non-sense approach or even his fondness for avoiding "coach speak"... he isn't suffering the dearth of talent that has plagued this roster for years.  Now it's up to Kitchens and Monken to see through the potential of having what may amount to the best collection of skill players in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Warriors, unless you can pull off a Cavs miracle, you're done... Only team in NBA history to come back from down 1-3 in the Finals and win three straight.  :)