THE BROWNS BOARD

March Madness Tournament Challenge

Zombo

The list is really short especially after the Wooden UCLA Bruins disappeared.....

CHAMPIONSHIPS.......LAST YEAR......RUNNER UPS

SCHAMPIONSHCHOOL NUMBER OF CHAMPIONSHIPS LAST CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNER-UP FINISHES
UCLA 11 1995 2
Kentucky 8 2012 4
North Carolina 6 2017  5
Duke 5 2015 6
Indiana 5 1987 <--- Bobby the tyrant years 1
Connecticut 4 2014 0
Kansas 3 2008 6
Villanova 3 2018 1
Cincinnati 2 1962  <--- the big O  1
Florida 2 2007 1
Louisville 2 1986 0
Michigan State 2 2000 1
North Carolina State 2 1983 0
Oklahoma State 2 1946 0
San Francisco 2 1956 0
Arizona 1 <--- the one and done club 1997 1
Arkansas 1 1994 1
California 1 1959 1
CCNY 1 1950 0
Georgetown 1 1984 3
Holy Cross 1 1947 0
La Salle 1 1954 0
Loyola (Ill.) 1 1963 0
Marquette 1 1977 1
Maryland 1 2002 0
Ohio State 1 1960 <--- long ago! 4 <--- close back then
Oregon 1 1939 0
Stanford 1 1942 0
Syracuse 1 2003 2
UNLV 1 1990 0
Utah 1 1944 1
UTEP 1 1966 0
Wisconsin 1 1941 1
Wyoming 1 1943 0

*Louisville’s participation in the 2013 tournament was later vacated by the Co

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

CBS, TBS, TNT, TRU would hate that the core viewership would drastically drop. A Cinderella or two maybe but this year in particulallyr the #1 and 2 seeds are really strong.

Just like football "everybody" might hate ALA, OHIO STATE, CLEM, OKL, etc, but they want to see them play.....the NFL "football factory" schools.

I dont give a shit about what the fucking networks want.  Unless they want to pay me to root for their ratings, they can go piss up a rope.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I dont give a shit about what the fucking networks want.  Unless they want to pay me to root for their ratings, they can go piss up a rope.

The point is if Duke, UNC, KY, etc. lose virtually nobody would give a crap about the tournament. 

.........edit add, it would be the NIT (on today) :lol:

From Forbes,  last year Michigan vs Villanova?  https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2019/03/21/5-reasons-tv-ratings-for-march-madness-may-rise-this-year/#4843dbe0e694

(What happens if the big dogs are out?)    

240 viewsMar 21, 2019, 11:01am

5 Reasons TV Ratings For March Madness May Rise This Year

The NCAA men's basketball tournament tips off with Duke the favorite to win it all.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last year's March Madness ratings tumbled, with average viewership for the men's basketball tourney tying its lowest numbers since 2009. The final, a dull affair between Michigan and winner Villanova, dropped to an all-time low with 16 million viewers.  (ALL TIME LOW?)

So the big question in media heading into the tournament, which opens today, is whether numbers will rebound from last year. This is a big deal for advertisers. They pay millions of dollars to get their ads in front of NCAA viewers.

There's reason to believe this year will bring better numbers—five reasons, in fact.

1. This year's Final Four and final air on CBS.......Continued.......

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

The point is if Duke, UNC, KY, etc. lose virtually nobody would give a crap about the tournament. 

.........edit add, it would be the NIT (on today) :lol:

That’s a pile of horse shit these teams weren’t that good in years past and The tournament it was just as good. the highest rated tournament game ever was between Indiana State And Michigan State

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

From Forbes,  last year Michigan vs Villanova?  https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2019/03/21/5-reasons-tv-ratings-for-march-madness-may-rise-this-year/#4843dbe0e694

(What happens if the big dogs are out?)    

240 viewsMar 21, 2019, 11:01am

5 Reasons TV Ratings For March Madness May Rise This Year

The NCAA men's basketball tournament tips off with Duke the favorite to win it all.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last year's March Madness ratings tumbled, with average viewership for the men's basketball tourney tying its lowest numbers since 2009. The final, a dull affair between Michigan and winner Villanova, dropped to an all-time low with 16 million viewers.  (ALL TIME LOW?)

So the big question in media heading into the tournament, which opens today, is whether numbers will rebound from last year. This is a big deal for advertisers. They pay millions of dollars to get their ads in front of NCAA viewers.

There's reason to believe this year will bring better numbers—five reasons, in fact.

1. This year's Final Four and final air on CBS.......Continued.......

Again read my fucking lips I don’t care about the goddamn TV ratings I care about parity in the game. 

20 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again read my fucking lips I don’t care about the goddamn TV ratings I care about parity in the game. 

There is parity there GHWB that's why #12 and 10 seeds won yesterday -but- it is tough if not impossible to win 6 games without a full powerhouse bench. In the past 34 years only one #8 seed has ever won it.

Maybe you're more the NIT type.  :lol:

17 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

There is parity there GHWB that's why #12 and 10 seeds won yesterday -but- it is tough if not impossible to win 6 games without a full powerhouse bench. In the past 34 years only one #8 seed has ever won it.

Maybe you're more the NIT type.  :lol:

Maybe I’m the anti-corrupt college basketball type because these big blueblood programs by their players with cash cash cash and that’s why they win because they are corrupt   You are coming out sounding like a front runner ass kisser

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

That’s a pile of horse shit these teams weren’t that good in years past and The tournament it was just as good. the highest rated tournament game ever was between Indiana State And Michigan State

D'UH grandpa Bird and Magic that was 100 years ago. :lol:

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe I’m the anti-corrupt college basketball type because these big blueblood programs by their players with cash cash cash and that’s why they win because they are corrupt   You are coming out sounding like a front runner ass kisser

No actually I watch zero regular season games I just like the March Madness tournament.  ;)

18 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

D'UH grandpa Bird and Magic that was 100 years ago. :lol:

1979 it was still the highest rated tournament game ever and it shows that you don’t need Duke North Carolina Kansas are fucking Kentucky in the tournament her to be a great program and get good Ratings. The fact is when it started going to the blue blood bullshit that’s when the Ratings started falling

Just now, The Gipper said:

1979 it was still the highest rated tournament game ever and it shows that you don’t need Duke North Carolina Kansas are fucking Kentucky in the tournament her to be a great program and get good Ratings. The fact is when it started going to the blue blood bullshit that’s when the Radion started falling

It wasn't the teams it WAS the matchup between the two best players of their era......and before PCs. Yeah 1979, I was in grad school, I remember that sports era well.

Just now, The Gipper said:

Well what you’re saying is that you just like when the blue bloods always win win. in other words your a front Runner

Wrong again I just finished watching LSU beat Maryland....oh I had LSU. I just like the tournament all 64 teams.

I'm not a hoops guy at all.

Day 3 results a dead heat for first place ~but~ that should change in Day 4 headed to the bigger points in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.

Screenshot_2019-03-24-08-00-33.png

Day 4 results the easy picks are over now the big points starting Thursday night.

Screenshot_2019-03-25-03-29-12.png

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Day 4 results the easy picks are over now the big points starting Thursday night.

Screenshot_2019-03-25-03-29-12.png

Yep, basically the tourney is won and lost the next two weekends. I have my entire Elite 8 intact as do many others ... game on.

Zombo

It is almost  chalk to this point:    In 2 of the brackets, you have the 1,2,3,4 seeds left.  In one you have  1,2,3,5.    Only Oregon is left who is lower than a 5 seed.

But damn, that would have been sweet if that last UCF tip in had made it to send Duke home.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

It is almost  chalk to this point:    In 2 of the brackets, you have the 1,2,3,4 seeds left.  In one you have  1,2,3,5.    Only Oregon is left who is lower than a 5 seed.

But damn, that would have been sweet if that last UCF tip in had made it to send Duke home.

Chalk in gambling terms means "take or give" the (chalk) points it's been a good tournament overall to bet on the underdogs.......but SU the favorites have squeeked by just ask TEN, DUKE and others, exciting weekend.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Chalk in gambling terms means "take or give" the (chalk) points it's been a good tournament overall to bet on the underdogs.......but SU the favorites have squeeked by just ask TEN, DUKE and others, exciting weekend.

Chalk means going by the seeding in terms of who advances. 

I know that there have been some close games wherein if you bet on the underdog you may have made out.  But I am only looking at who advances. Like I said, a Duke loss would have been sweet to foul up the seeding.

Question:  Isn't this time...NCAA tournament time, one of the busiest times of the year for the Vegas Sports Books?  (and now we can go beyond Vegas...Delaware, NJ and others?)

With the fucked up tax situation in Ohio, I don't know why they don't just legalize it and tax it.  That and Marijuana.  Instead, they want to raise the gas tax. 

And I say bring back the Estate Tax.  The dead don't care if they are taxed...

Note:  No sports betting venues in Sharon.  Closest is in Pittsburgh:

https://www.playpennsylvania.com/sports-betting/

West Va. has them in Wheeling and at Mountaineer.   Mountaineer is closer to NE Ohio.  It is only 89 miles from Akron.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Does this mean that we could just pop over to Sharon PA, or to over the river at East Liverpool to place a legal wager?

Basically yes WVA was among the first to jump in. In a few years over half of the states will have legalized sports betting just like the state lotteries others will come onboard.

Now about 75% of all legal gambling is done on mobile devices.......this is bad a lot of people who should never bet can with an app and credit card.

A great piece on this on the last 60 minutes. 

34 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

GO DUKE, baby!  ;)

Buzz Williams could about care less about Coach K's coaching legacy..this should be a college basketball classic..👍

Looks like only three of us have our Final Four intact ... Go Zags, Spartans, Wildcats and Cavs!

Zombo

--Wouldn't have minded if Va Tech took out Duke, now it is up to Sparty.

Archived