THE BROWNS BOARD

Happy St. Patrick's Day

The Gipper

An early Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all.  

In commemoration, I have changed my avatar to show Cobh, Ireland, with St. Colman's Cathedral.   This is where my mother was born (the town) and the church in which she was baptized.

As you can see, Ireland has its version of The Painted Ladies.

Also, as an aside,  Westside Steve is playing at the On Tap  in Medina that day.  Go to his website for info.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2-9sOHW0AKFsmoNxfw2m

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now I will have to dig out where in Ireland my great-grandmother was born. I bet she was the one that gave me my Spanish genes from the Armada though.🧐😂🧜‍♀️💚🍀

That, of course, is a myth.

My grandfather was from Rearcross.  The home he grew up in was still in the family until recently.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:02 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Now I will have to dig out where in Ireland my great-grandmother was born. I bet she was the one that gave me my Spanish genes from the Armada though.🧐😂🧜‍♀️💚🍀

Do a DNA test and see if you really have any spanish dna.  You might be surprise.d

11 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Do a DNA test and see if you really have any spanish dna.  You might be surprise.d

It was a DNA test and it was 28% traceable to far SW France and the Iberian peninsula (Spain/Portugal).

30 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

But is there really any difference?  The countries are so close to each other I doubt there is anything different.   

Well there is the fact that the Iberian peninsula was occupied for about 8 centuries by the Moors out of the middle east via N. Africa. Certainly explains my straight black hair and somewhat darker skin tone than most from the British isles.

http://blackhistorystudies.com/resources/resources/15-facts-on-the-moors-in-spain/

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well there is the fact that the Iberian peninsula was occupied for about 8 centuries by the Moors out of the middle east via N. Africa. Certainly explains my straight black hair and somewhat darker skin tone than most from the British isles.

http://blackhistorystudies.com/resources/resources/15-facts-on-the-moors-in-spain/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHMt2_7SKX30cFVLD0A7-

Like this you Spanish Peacock?

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It was a DNA test and it was 28% traceable to far SW France and the Iberian peninsula (Spain/Portugal).

But it did not come from your Irish side.  Like I said, my mother was Black Irish.....no Iberian at all.

You had a Spanish/SW French grandparent.

What were there names?

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But it did not come from your Irish side.  Like I said, my mother was Black Irish.....no Iberian at all.

You had a Spanish/SW French grandparent.

What were there names?

I suspect it came from multiple sources, but no particular person am aware of. For example I know I am 1/8 Irish from a great grandmother and my wife is 1/4 Irish from a grandmother. That is two we are aware of for sure, but there can still be multiple other part Irish through marriages that add to the DNA pool of our kids. Who knows really. And  I don't even know if some of those Irish came from someone or more who came from Spain. All I know is that I share 28% DNA in common with people from the Iberian peninsula. Oh and about 3% in common with Neaderthal, which my wife says explains 100% of everything.😂

37 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I suspect it came from multiple sources, but no particular person am aware of. For example I know I am 1/8 Irish from a great grandmother and my wife is 1/4 Irish from a grandmother. That is two we are aware of for sure, but there can still be multiple other part Irish through marriages that add to the DNA pool of our kids. Who knows really. And  I don't even know if some of those Irish came from someone or more who came from Spain. All I know is that I share 28% DNA in common with people from the Iberian peninsula. Oh and about 3% in common with Neaderthal, which my wife says explains 100% of everything.😂

Again, with 28%  Iberian,  one of your grandparents, I would say, was mostly Spanish or Portuguese  (what were your grandparents maiden names?).

3% Neanderthal seems a lot.   3 one hundreth of a percent maybe.  No one should have that much Neanderthal.  It has been to long since they have been extinct.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Again, with 28%  Iberian,  one of your grandparents, I would say, was mostly Spanish or Portuguese  (what were your grandparents maiden names?).

3% Neanderthal seems a lot.   3 one hundreth of a percent maybe.  No one should have that much Neanderthal.  It has been to long since they have been extinct.

We all knew that Tex was overly neanderthal🤣

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think you have a basic misconception of how the DNA passing along works. You don't get 25% Irish DNA because you had an Irish grandparent. Irish people have a lot of shared DNA from all over Europe, Arabia, Africa, etc. not just Ireland because of human migration out of Africa through Arabia, etc. That occurred only 10s of thousands of years ago, not millions. or even hundreds of thousands. They also now understand there was a lot of interbreeding with Neanderthal and the usual amount for Northern Europeans is about 1% of their DNA in common  with Neanderthal. Since there is a lot of evidence Neanderthal lived mostly in southern and southwestern Europe, I am not surprised by the fact mine ran about 3% in common along with that Iberian DNA in common.

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think you have a basic misconception of how the DNA passing along works. You don't get 25% Irish DNA because you had an Irish grandparent. Irish people have a lot of shared DNA from all over Europe, Arabia, Africa, etc. not just Ireland because of human migration out of Africa through Arabia, etc. That occurred only 10s of thousands of years ago, not millions. or even hundreds of thousands. They also now understand there was a lot of interbreeding with Neanderthal and the usual amount for Northern Europeans is about 1% of their DNA in common  with Neanderthal. Since there is a lot of evidence Neanderthal lived mostly in southern and southwestern Europe, I am not surprised by the fact mine ran about 3% in common along with that Iberian DNA in common.

I am like  99.1%  British/Irish and  other Northern European I have no Neanderthal, no Iberian, no Troglodyte.

And you DO have had to have had a close relation...or 2, to get 28% of your DNA from a particular area.  My  great grandmother was Dutch giving me the N. Euro blood.  

If you didn't get your Iberian blood from a fairly close relative, then it came from eating too much TexMex and that has seeped into your blood!!

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I am like  99.1%  British/Irish and  other Northern European I have no Neanderthal, no Iberian, no Troglodyte.

And you DO have had to have had a close relation...or 2, to get 28% of your DNA from a particular area.  My  great grandmother was Dutch giving me the N. Euro blood.  

If you didn't get your Iberian blood from a fairly close relative, then it came from eating too much TexMex and that has seeped into your blood!!

So who did the testing?

Here. Read it and weep. "Analysis of the remains of a 5,200 year-old Irish farmer suggested that the population of Ireland at that time was closely genetically related to the modern-day populations of southern Europe, especially Spain and Sardinia. Her ancestors, however, originally migrated from the Middle East, the cradle of agriculture."

https://owlcation.com/stem/Irish-Blood-Genetic-Identity

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here. Read it and weep. "Analysis of the remains of a 5,200 year-old Irish farmer suggested that the population of Ireland at that time was closely genetically related to the modern-day populations of southern Europe, especially Spain and Sardinia. Her ancestors, however, originally migrated from the Middle East, the cradle of agriculture."

He was just an Irish drunk who was messing around with them roman women.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So 5200 years ago would be between 175 and 200 generations ago. At most you would or should have beat about a 1/4 of 1%. But you have 28%

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Read the whole article.

The math still holds.  Even if some Irish came from Iberia, it would still mean only a sliver of Iberian blood would last until this day....unless all those Iberian Celts continued to interbreed right into the early 1900s.    Which I do not believe happened.

As I have said, my mother was "Black Irish"  The families original Gaelic name is O'Duibhir.  (pronounced O'devere or O'dwier)...it means "pale sallow" essentially,   and was applied to people who had dark hair but  pale skin.

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The math still holds.  Even if some Irish came from Iberia, it would still mean only a sliver of Iberian blood would last until this day....unless all those Iberian Celts continued to interbreed right into the early 1900s.    Which I do not believe happened.

I believe that article and National Geographics' more scientifically based Geno 2.0 over 23 & me.  They include graphic displays of the migration patterns with timelines that you can start and run through history showing exactly what genes came from where and when in time. I would suggest you give it a try. Well worth the asking price.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I believe that article and National Geographics' more scientifically based Geno 2.0 over 23 & me.  They include graphic displays of the migration patterns with timelines that you can start and run through history showing exactly what genes came from where and when in time. I would suggest you give it a try. Well worth the asking price.

Well, the only real surprise was the fact that we had no Native American blood in us.  My Dad always said we did, but an aunt said we didn't.  My aunt was right.

Like I said, other than that , I knew what the basic makeup was going to be.  Scotch/Irish, with some Dutch.

The only thing specific I don't know exactly is when my Dad's family immigrated to America.   It was pre-Revolution so sometime between 1607 and 1775.

I think I may have told you this before, but I had thought there might be a chance that we could have gone back to 1608.....as a person of my exact name came to Jamestown with Capt. John Smith that year.   But later records showed no trace of him ...or any descendants of his, being there in 1624.  He either starved to death, got killed by Indians, or went back to England.

On my mother's side I know precisely when immigration to America occurred:  1946....aboard the Queen Mary from England to NYC to the train depot that sits only about a half mile from me right now.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, the only real surprise was the fact that we had no Native American blood in us.  My Dad always said we did, but an aunt said we didn't.  My aunt was right.

Like I said, other than that , I knew what the basic makeup was going to be.  Scotch/Irish, with some Dutch.

The only thing specific I don't know exactly is when my Dad's family immigrated to America.   It was pre-Revolution so sometime between 1607 and 1775.

I think I may have told you this before, but I had thought there might be a chance that we could have gone back to 1608.....as a person of my exact name came to Jamestown with Capt. John Smith that year.   But later records showed no trace of him ...or any descendants of his, being there in 1624.  He either starved to death, got killed by Indians, or went back to England.

On my mother's side I know precisely when immigration to America occurred:  1946....aboard the Queen Mary from England to NYC to the train depot that sits only about a half mile from me right now.

Interesting. My kids are both eligible for The Mayflower Society through my wife since they are all direct descendants of John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley who landed there at Plymouth Rock aboard the original. Howland is the guy who fell overboard during the voyage, but saved himself by grabbing a trailing halyard in the water. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Howland

EDIT: Before  got my Geno 2.0 result back I had always assumed I had American Indian in me because of the straight black hair and skin that always just got browner in summertime. One of my grandmothers used to call me her little Mexican because of wearing only shorts with no shoes, socks or shirt just turned me into a little brown berry. So  when it came back with no native American, but a high % Iberian (think Moorish) it was a surprise, but not really.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:31 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

You're over 70 and you have black hair without hair coloring?  Picture please.

24 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

You're over 70 and you have black hair without hair coloring?  Picture please.

There is a little gray in it now too, but it's still 90+ black. My mom was only half gray when she died at 87+. The rest was black like mine. All my friends from college accuse me of using Grecian Formula (they are now pure white or gray) and I always accuse my barber of planting more gray hair in my scalp. I think it's the portrait I keep in the attic that's doing the trick. LOL!🧐🖼️

Archived