THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Depth Chart 2019

Zombo

Z if Corbett is struggling that badly, obviously he's not ready yet. Have to be patient- he may develop. We couldn't get Cam Erving run out of town fast enough, and he's still on the Chief's roster. BTW perusing the KC depth chart, our old pal Austin Reiter is listed as the starting center. 

As a high second round pick we have significant $$$ tied up in Corbett, so he's not going anywhere- at least this year. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Z if Corbett is struggling that badly, obviously he's not ready yet. Have to be patient- he may develop. We couldn't get Cam Erving run out of town fast enough, and he's still on the Chief's roster. BTW perusing the KC depth chart, our old pal Austin Reiter is listed as the starting center. 

As a high second round pick we have significant $$$ tied up in Corbett, so he's not going anywhere- at least this year. 

He can back up multiple positions this year and compete for the starting center job next year as Tretter is a unresctricted free agent.

I believe that is the plan now. Kush may hold off Forbes at RG, but it won't be for long.

Robinson is also a free agent next year, so critical year for him, the OL that will protect Baker for years hasn't taken shape yet.

Zombo

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I was actually reasonably pleased with what l saw from Corbett at center. I think the plan for a line of succession is at play with the OL, and it’s not a bad plan. 

Updated 8/19

OK, after watching Saturday's game (albeit the Colts telecast, in a bar, without sound, but great beer) I am making the following adjustments:

D'ernest Johnson looks versatile enough to hold down RB3 until Hunt comes back to be RB2, so I am adding him to the roster for now. Dropping Sheehy, I got caught up in the story last week, but don't see us saving a roster spot for a guy who only returns kicks

Offensive Notes: A couple of guys that I have been assuming will make the roster really need to get on the field and prove it these last two games: Damion Ratley and Seth Devalve. Not going to make the team in the training room, too many hungry guys on this roster. The tight end situation is still murky, anyone wanna step up? I still think we go off the roster for a veteran backup Tackle, Lamm penciled in for now. Forbes has a week to overtake Kush at RG and he may just do it, which would leave the loser of that battle and Corbett as the interior backups.

Defensive notes: Wyatt Ray is on my radar. could challenge Zettle's spot or make the team if Chad Thomas goes IR. Linebacker depth is looking impressive. Wilson is going to get on the field and Taylor, Harvey and Stubbs all put together some good tape this week. And I still want Ray Ray on my final roster, Taverious Thomas needs to get healthy in a hurry, I am giving his roster spot to Phillip Gaines for now, who seemed all over the field Saturday.

Special Teams Notes: As frustrated with Joseph/Siebert as everyone else, I am going to stick with the draft pick for now, would not be surprised if Joseph is cut and another veteran brought in to compete with Siebert this week. I think Colquitt holds off the long-haired Scot despite the 74 yard punt (Freddie didn't seem impressed) and I've got the backup running backs returning the kicks at least until Callaway gets back,

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton, G. Gilbert, D. Blough

FB/H-B J. Kerridge

RB  N. Chubb,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.) D. Johnson, T. Gray

WR1  O. Beckham,  D. Willies,  (A. Callaway, Susp.) J. Strong, DJ Montgomery

WR2 J. Landry(slot), R. Higgins(WR3), D .Ratley,  I. Hyman

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown, R. Gathers (Susp.)

LT G. Robinson, B. Seaton

LG J. Bitonio B. Witzmann

C J.Tretter , A. Corbett K. Kalis

RG  E. Kush, D. Forbes

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm 

DE M. Garrett, A. Zettle, C. Thomas

DT  Ogunjobi, C. Davis, D. Lawrence, D. Eukale

DT  S. Richardson,T Coley, B. Price,

DE O. Vernon,  C. Smith, W. Ray

MLB Schoebert, S. Takitaki  

SLB  G. Avery, A. Taylor, A. Stubbs

WLB C. Kirksey, M. Wilson R. Armstrong , W. Harvey

CB D. Ward , T. Carrie(Nickel) P. Gaines, T.Thomas,J.Burris,

CB  T. Mitchell, G. Williams, E. Murray(Dime), D. Lewis,  L. Pipkins

FS D. Randall, S. Redwine,

SS  M. Burnett,  J Whitehead

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR  (D. Hilliard), (D. Johnson), D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

PR  (D. Hilliard), (Calloway susp), D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So   Z:   How many roster spots do you think are really up for grabs?  And which ones?

What do we really need to pay attention to in these last two preseason games?

If you just follow this thread you have my opinion on that. Many others have chimed in too.

Zombo

FWIW, our 2019 kicker may be on the field this Saturday, but on the other sideline. The Bucs drafted this Gay kid, who is impressive, which means they need to move Santos ... who Dorsey had in KC.

Z

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zombo said:

If you just follow this thread you have my opinion on that. Many others have chimed in too.

Zombo

I just thought maybe you could give a summary.  

Major areas perhaps as I see it:

Kicker obviously is up for grabs.

Starting RG....plus who stays to play backup on the OL.

Running back behind Chubb.....Hilliard/Johnson..and could one of them be cut if they don't get the backup job (I say both stay at least until Hunt returns)

There could be 5 guys competing for 3 spots at WR  (Strong/Ratley/Montgomery/Willies/Hyman)

Backup at DT.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Defensive notes: Wyatt Ray is on my radar. could challenge Zettle's spot or make the team if Chad Thomas goes IR. Linebacker depth is looking impressive. Wilson is going to get on the field and Taylor, Harvey and Stubbs all put together some good tape this week. And I still want Ray Ray on my final roster, Taverious Thomas needs to get healthy in a hurry, I am giving his roster spot to Phillip Gaines for now, who seemed all over the field Saturday.

As a resident Ray Ray Armstrong supporter, l gotta admit he hasn’t shown me much so far. And l been watching, but having great hair doesn’t make you a lock here. Maybe in years past l would have been ok with the all hair team, comprised of you and Gillan and Higgins’ bufont of wonderment, and Baker with his whimsical facial thing. 

11 hours ago, Zombo said:

D'ernest Johnson looks versatile enough to hold down RB3 until Hunt comes back to be RB2, so I am adding him to the roster for now. Dropping Sheehy, I got caught up in the story last week, but don't see us saving a roster spot for a guy who only returns kicks

Yup.  #30 did some good things in and out of the backfield.  (anyone notice if he has blocking skills?)

I never got caught up in the HeShe hoopla.  It's a nice story, but we're not writing books here.  (I still wish him best of luck though)

Coming up on the only important preseason game. #3 is the dress rehearsal for the season for most all NFL teams. #4 is for making those last few difficult cuts and culling through other people's cuts and PSs. These two games separate the great GMs from the good GMs. August 31 @400pm EDT is final 53 cut deadline, 2 days after the final preseason games are completed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Coming up on the only important preseason game. #3 is the dress rehearsal for the season for most all NFL teams. #4 is for making those last few difficult cuts and culling through other people's cuts and PSs. These two games separate the great GMs from the good GMs. August 31 @400pm EDT is final 53 cut deadline, 2 days after the final preseason games are completed.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how we approach the 3rd game. From what I'm picking up, we're not going to see our starters much, if at all. Now, certain starters will be out there I'm guessing, like the OL and some skill positions, but I don't believe we're seeing Baker too much, and forget seeing Odell. Remember a while back when Odell was injured against us in that preseason game? Yeah, not good. 

My biggest concern is Odell hasn't played in PRACTICE much, let alone any game time. How can he be game ready? How can he be in tune with the offense? How can he be in sync with an offense he's rarely played with? I mean, he didn't play in the joint practices I don't think, he's not playing in the preseason games, so is he really going to just waltz out there game 1 ready to go? I certainly hope so, but for the people expecting to see OBJ go for 150 yards and 2 TDs week 1, you may want to dial that shit down. 

Anyway, I meant to discuss the roster and got distracted (shocker). What's the biggest roster problem right now? Well, it's not RG like you may think, it's actually our freaking kicker. It's probably not a stretch to say that we had a real shot at the playoffs if we had a kicker. Heck, Joseph really got lucky in that Baltimore game and that kick had no business my in. I know it was tipped, but it looked low. It also hurts to see Zane Gonzalez kicking for the Cardinals if not mistaken, God forbid he make his kicks with us! 

Listen, RG is obviously important, but I think kicking has the potential to really cost us games if it doesn't get resolved. Problem is, there's a severe shortage of potential replacements. Best scenario is Joseph figures his shit out, but I have zero trust in him. 

Quick edit:  I want everyone to forget the fantasy of Gillian kicking FG's and punts for our team. Yes, I know he was drilling 60 yarders in practice today, and yes that's awesome. Having one kicker do both would be a complete advantage, and would obviously open up another roster spot. But, kicking in practice is a different animal, and Gillian was NEVER accurate in college. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:38 AM, Zombo said:

On The Hot Seat

QB  D.Stanton, G. Gilbert, D. Blough

FB/H-B J. Kerridge

RB  D.Hilliard, D. Johnson, T. Gray 

WR1 J. Strong 

WR2  D .Ratley,  I. Hyman, B.Miller, Sheehy, Baker 

TE D. S. Devalve, P. Brown, R. Gathers (Susp.),Carlson

LT G. B. Seaton

LG  B. Witzmann,Wright

C  A. Corbett K. Kalis

RG   D. Forbes, 

RT  K. Lamm 

DE  A. Zettle, C. Thomas

DT   C. Davis, D. Lawrence, D. Eukale, Bryant

DT  T Coley, B. Price,

DE  W. Ray

MLB  

SLB  Taylor, A. Stubbs

WLB  R. Armstrong , W. Harvey

CB D. P. Gaines, T.Thomas,J.Burris, D.Lewis, Hassell

CB  D. Lewis,  L. Pipkins, Meander, R.Jackson, T.Sankoh

FS  S. Redwine,

SS  J Whitehead

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS 

Guys to watch on bubble/ trade or upgrade

Update 8/25

Willies and Strong did not impress as starters, so I think there is a chance for movement at WR5 and 6, which is good news for Braxton Miller and Ratley if he can get on the field.

Devalve got back on the field and had more snaps than Brown and Gathers, but if we go outside for a 3rd TE no one will be surprised

The OL seems set barring a waiver wire pickup.

Taverras Thomas, a Dorsey Draft pick is an interesting one: No snaps on defense, but 21 on special teams ... gotta be his only shot at a roster spot.

FB/H-B J. Kerridge

RB  N. Chubb,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.) D. Johnson, T. Gray

WR1  O. Beckham,  (A. Callaway, Susp.) D. Willies, J. Strong, B. Miller

WR2 J. Landry(slot), R. Higgins(WR3), D .Ratley,  I. Hyman, Baker

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown, R. Gathers (Susp.), Carlson

C J.Tretter , A. Corbett K. Kalis, Wright

RG  E. Kush, D. Forbes

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm 

DE M. Garrett, A. Zettle, C. Thomas

DT  Ogunjobi, C. Davis, D. Lawrence, D. Eukale

CB D. Ward , T. Carrie(Nickel) P. Gaines, T.Thomas,J.Burris, Jackson

FS D. Randall, S. Redwine, Hassell

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Taverras Thomas, a Dorsey Draft pick is an interesting one: No snaps on defense, but 21 on special teams ... gotta be his only shot at a roster spot.

your seeing this the same way as i..could separate last couple roster spots? Guys seen on ST last game? T.Thomas 70%..Ray-RAy 67%..Redwine 63%..A.Taylor 53%...the no name guy that is laying some lumber all camp has been CB Robert Jackson with 14 ST snaps 47%..Jackson may surprise some stashing on PS?  

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Devalve got back on the field and had more snaps than Brown and Gathers, but if we go outside for a 3rd TE no one will be surprised

Might be keeping the FB? and Might be looking a TE with better ST skills than Devalve/Brown/ too? Am stuck juggling my final 6..LB==Ray Ray vs. A.Thomas? DT==T.Coley? CB=T.Thomas i got just behind P.Gaines making it. TE=DeValve..6th is Chad Thomas whom i think we can stash on IR?.. Add 2-3 more suspended players not counting..some may just squeeze in.. but more likely get squeezed out by new final additions..It's Going to be a wild cut down week for sure :ph34r:

21 hours ago, gumby73 said:

your seeing this the same way as i..could separate last couple roster spots? Guys seen on ST last game? T.Thomas 70%..Ray-RAy 67%..Redwine 63%..A.Taylor 53%...the no name guy that is laying some lumber all camp has been CB Robert Jackson with 14 ST snaps 47%..Jackson may surprise some stashing on PS?  

Might be keeping the FB? and Might be looking a TE with better ST skills than Devalve/Brown/ too? Am stuck juggling my final 6..LB==Ray Ray vs. A.Thomas? DT==T.Coley? CB=T.Thomas i got just behind P.Gaines making it. TE=DeValve..6th is Chad Thomas whom i think we can stash on IR?.. Add 2-3 more suspended players not counting..some may just squeeze in.. but more likely get squeezed out by new final additions..It's Going to be a wild cut down week for sure :ph34r:

I guess FB Kerridge is in concussion protocol, not good for him  ... and that leaves DeValve, Brown or Gathers as the lead blocking back.

DeValve played the role against Tamps.

Zombo

Scott Plasko makes his roster prediction:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08/predicting-the-cleveland-browns-53-man-roster-scott-patsko.html

Difference from my current one:

Offense

In:  Kallis C/G

Out:  Kerridge FB

Defense

In:  Armstrong, LB, L. Pipkins CB

Out: Zettle DE, Davis DT

Talking about depth and front line talent when I was going through a FL Player rankings list the BROWNS have the:

#1 WR   #4 QB   #5:RB   #8 D/TM.  #9 TE

I can't remember maybe ever having a stacked deck like this heading into a football season.

GO BROWNS, expectations what expectations?   :lol:

1 minute ago, gumby73 said:

multi reports from players twitter..Browns to announce Tuesday...WR Jaelen Strong & CB Jhavonte Deans have been released..

Braxton Miller replaces Strong on my depth chart...

Z

22 hours ago, gumby73 said:

CB Jhavonte Deans have been released..

J.Deans now a Steeler :ph34r:.. picked up off waivers today.. Tomlin is in the Bakers hat  8kQp.gif          

On 8/26/2019 at 9:37 AM, Zombo said:

Grossi seems high on LB count and Lite on CB count. but i get his thought ..big bubble group at PS4..  https://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/6884/at-least-six-roster-spots-up-for-grabs-in-browns-preseason-finale     

8/30

Last Stab before the cuts come in

Joe Kerridge did not stay healthy so I am going to waive/injure him DeVulva is my blocking back for now. Look for us to pick up a lead blocker.

I'm gonna keep Ratley, Willies and Braxton Miller ... one of them goes after four ganes when Callaway returns.

Wyatt Teller has a week of practice to take Kush's job ... he probably will. But Kush keeps a roster spot because I am sending Drew Forbes to IR, even though I don't know the extent of his knee injury at this writing

Chad Smith has gotten good enough that I can let Zettle go.

Ray Ray Armstrong added.

and I will give T. Thomas the final roster spot, but I think he ultimately falls for a TE/FB. 

Defensive tackle C. Davis holding on by a thread too ... there is going to be some bottom of the roster churning ... and he'll probably get churned.

My Final roster is heavy on defense, so look for the extra DL and DB to go as we churn for blocking help on O. Just don't take Ray Ray, he plays like a Dawg.

FB/H-B J. Kerridge

RB  N. Chubb,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.) D. Johnson, T. Gray

WR1  O. Beckham,  (A. Callaway, Susp.) D. Willies,  B. Miller, Baker

WR2 J. Landry(slot), R. Higgins(WR3), D .Ratley,  I. Hyman,

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown, R. Gathers (Susp.), Carlson

C J.Tretter , A. Corbett K. Kalis, Wright

RG  E. Kush,  W. Teller D. Forbes

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm 

DE M. Garrett, C. Thomas, A. Zettle,

DT  Ogunjobi, , D. Lawrence,  C. Davis, D. Eukale

CB D. Ward , T. Carrie(Nickel) P. Gaines, T.Thomas,J.Burris, Jackson

FS D. Randall, S. Redwine, Hassell

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

Practice squad favorites:

Gray, Hyman, Eukale, Ray, Harvey, Lewis, Jackson, Pipkins, Gillan, Sheehy

• Upvote 1

Can't change a thing Zombo.👍.that's a nice board..hearing Dorsey might try trading Gillian for a draft piece? I'd love to also somehow try to bury Kalis on a IR list now pending Forbes..I'd say Kalis has a better chance getting back before Forbes.And I'd assume teams do some IR shuffling today? Guys that should not feel save or flip either way imo. Ratley/Miller/Devalve/Zettle/Coley/A.Taylor..The two guys that seem to be a tossup are Gaines & Pipkins..I've continued to love to watch the fight of Gaines fight thru blocks. far better than the effort Pipkins gave on TD play in TB👀..Coaches can't make the mistake of not* keeping their best 53 players..Hope Freddie & staff nail this down 1st>>

If Ghoolie was GM he would be still deciding whether to start Baker or this guy

Paxton Lynch went 1-7 for 4 yards passing and 5 carries for 6 yards and a fumble last night. He also took a 10 yard sack.
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Paxton Lynch went 1-7 for 4 yards passing and 5 carries for 6 yards and a fumble last night. He also took a 10 yard sack.

Paxton Lynch is in the NFL??

Z

39 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Who is he playing for  (or..trying out for?)

Can you say "Hello XFL"?   if that.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Can't change a thing Zombo.👍.that's a nice board..hearing Dorsey might try trading Gillian for a draft piece? I'd love to also somehow try to bury Kalis on a IR list now pending Forbes..I'd say Kalis has a better chance getting back before Forbes.And I'd assume teams do some IR shuffling today? Guys that should not feel save or flip either way imo. Ratley/Miller/Devalve/Zettle/Coley/A.Taylor..The two guys that seem to be a tossup are Gaines & Pipkins..I've continued to love to watch the fight of Gaines fight thru blocks. far better than the effort Pipkins gave on TD play in TB👀..Coaches can't make the mistake of not* keeping their best 53 players..Hope Freddie & staff nail this down 1st>>

Only  change I  make is I think  Gillan is  lock to make the  team. He's not  only a  lot younger than  Colquitt,  he's a  lot  cheaper  too. 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Who is he playing for  (or..trying out for?)

Can you say "Hello XFL"?   if that.

Regarding  Paxton, I  believe the  Colts picked him up  after Luck  retired.