THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Depth Chart 2019

Zombo

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My eye side added him as soon as I saw how fast he accelerates and pulls away. Can't teach speed. We have ourselves a returner now. Hopefully both KOs and Punts.

The main thing is that we need a quality kick returner.  I have NOT been impressed with what Hilliard or Callaway have done there.   Obviously this guy Sheehy did something to impress.  Was that just a lucky turn, or does he have this potential each time he touches the rock.   Maybe he can't be Eric Metcalf or Josh Cribbs...but could he be Dino Hall or Gerald McNeil?   Need to see more

Updated 8/11

Gone: Duke Johnson

Suspended: Calloway

Promoted:  QB Gilbert, KR Sheehy, WR Strong, DT Lawrence

Demoted: G Forbes, CB D. Lewis, (Practice Squad hopefuls)

Moves to come after final cuts: Add Backup RB, Add Backup OL (2 additional cuts)

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton, G. Gilbert, D. Blough

FB/H-B O. Charles, J. Kerridge

RB  N. Chubb,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.) D'e. Johnson, T. Gray

WR1  O. Beckham,  D. Willies,  (A. Callaway, Susp.) J. Strong

WR2 J. Landry(slot), R. Higgins(WR3), D .Ratley,  I. Hyman

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown

LT G. Robinson, B. Seaton

LG J. Bitonio D. ForbesB. Witzmann

C J.Tretter , K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett, E. Kush 

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm 

DE M. Garrett, A. Zettle, C. Thomas

DT  Ogunjobi, C. Davis, D. Lawrence, D. Eukale

DT  S. Richardson,T Coley, B. Price,

DE O. Vernon,  C. Smith

MLB Schoebert, S. Takitaki  

SLB  G. Avery, A. Taylor, A. Stubbs

WLB C. Kirksey, M. Wilson R. Armstrong 

CB D. Ward , T. Carrie(Nickel)T.Thomas,J.Burris, L. Pipkins

CB  T. Mitchell, G. Williams, E. Murray(Dime), D. Lewis,  P. Gaines

FS D. Randall, S. Redwine,

SS  M. Burnett,  J Whitehead

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR  D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

PR D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

We have 2 players under suspension, Do they still count as a spot on the roster even though they are out? 1 is 4 games the other is 8 games???? I mean could that buy a player who they have on the fence more time? We could prove they have some value and maybe get something out of them?

16 minutes ago, medicineman said:

We have 2 players under suspension, Do they still count as a spot on the roster even though they are out? 1 is 4 games the other is 8 games???? I mean could that buy a player who they have on the fence more time? We could prove they have some value and maybe get something out of them?

No, they don't count against the 53, we'll have to release somebody when they are activated.

Zombo

Updated 8/12

Charles gone, we add a fullback and a tight end. Who makes the roster Kerridge or Gathers?

I dunno, Seth Devalve may not make the roster either, out of the TEs and FBs only Njoku and Harris are certainties for the final roster, the others need to step up both on offense and special teams in these last three games. With Gathers suspended for the first game, I'll add Pharoah Brown to my roster and we'll see what develops after camp...

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton, G. Gilbert, D. Blough

FB/H-B J. Kerridge

WR1  O. Beckham,  D. Willies,  (A. Callaway, Susp.) J. Strong

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown, R. Gathers (Susp.)

LG J. Bitonio D. ForbesB. Witzmann

C J.Tretter , K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett, E. Kush 

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm 

DE O. Vernon,  C. Smith

CB D. Ward , T. Carrie(Nickel)T.Thomas,J.Burris, L. Pipkins

CB  T. Mitchell, G. Williams, E. Murray(Dime), D. Lewis,  P. Gaines

FS D. Randall, S. Redwine,

SS  M. Burnett,  J Whitehead

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR  D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

PR D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Z, I  thought  Gilbert  clearly  outplayed  Stanton  in the first game. Won't be a  shock if he gets the  #2 qb gig. Blough is a training camp arm, at best practice squad material.

I just think they are going to want a veteran backing up Baker right now with this loaded lineup.

Stanton has been in this Kitchens and Lyndsey a long, long time, and he can run the offense without rookie mistakes.

Z

59 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I just think they are going to want a veteran backing up Baker right now with this loaded lineup.

Stanton has been in this Kitchens and Lyndsey a long, long time, and he can run the offense without rookie mistakes.

Z

LOL, I looked at Stanton's career stats- seems like he can make plenty of veteran mistakes. Like a negative TD\INT ratio 20\24 and a QBR of 58.  Just one preseason game Z, but Drew didn't pass my eyeball test. Garrett did. 

Gilbert has bounced around plenty, far from a rookie. But you have to wonder- if all these teams found him lacking, at 28 y\o is he suddenly going to "get it".  :)  From his bio.  

"Selected by the St. Louis Rams in the sixth round (214th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft…Waived by the Rams on Aug. 30, 2014…Added to the Rams’ practice squad on Sept. 1, 2014…Released from the Rams’ practice squad on Oct. 28, 2014…Added to the New England Patriots’ practice squad on Dec. 17, 2014…Signed by the Patriots on Feb. 5, 2015…Waived by the Patriots on June 11, 2015…Claimed via waivers by the Detroit Lions on June 12, 2015…Waived by the Lions on Aug. 31, 2015…Signed to the Oakland Raiders’ practice squad on Aug. 8, 2015…Signed by the Raiders on Jan. 5, 2016…Waived by the Raiders on May 24, 2016…Added to the Raiders’ practice squad on Jan. 3, 2017…Released from the Raiders’ practice squad on Jan. 16, 2017…Signed by the Carolina Panthers on March 24, 2017…Waived by the Panthers on Sept. 2, 2017…Added to the Panthers’ practice squad on Sept. 3, 2017…Elevated to the Panthers’ active roster on Oct. 16, 2017…Waived by the Panthers on Sept. 1, 2018…Signed by the Panthers on Dec. 26, 2018…Waived by the Panthers on Dec. 31, 2018…Signed by the Cleveland Browns on April 5, 2019."

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, I looked at Stanton's career stats- seems like he can make plenty of veteran mistakes. Like a negative TD\INT ratio 20\24 and a QBR of 58.  Just one preseason game Z, but Drew didn't pass my eyeball test. Garrett did. 

Gilbert has bounced around plenty, far from a rookie. But you have to wonder- if all these teams found him lacking, at 28 y\o is he suddenly going to "get it".  :)  From his bio.  

"Selected by the St. Louis Rams in the sixth round (214th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft…Waived by the Rams on Aug. 30, 2014…Added to the Rams’ practice squad on Sept. 1, 2014…Released from the Rams’ practice squad on Oct. 28, 2014…Added to the New England Patriots’ practice squad on Dec. 17, 2014…Signed by the Patriots on Feb. 5, 2015…Waived by the Patriots on June 11, 2015…Claimed via waivers by the Detroit Lions on June 12, 2015…Waived by the Lions on Aug. 31, 2015…Signed to the Oakland Raiders’ practice squad on Aug. 8, 2015…Signed by the Raiders on Jan. 5, 2016…Waived by the Raiders on May 24, 2016…Added to the Raiders’ practice squad on Jan. 3, 2017…Released from the Raiders’ practice squad on Jan. 16, 2017…Signed by the Carolina Panthers on March 24, 2017…Waived by the Panthers on Sept. 2, 2017…Added to the Panthers’ practice squad on Sept. 3, 2017…Elevated to the Panthers’ active roster on Oct. 16, 2017…Waived by the Panthers on Sept. 1, 2018…Signed by the Panthers on Dec. 26, 2018…Waived by the Panthers on Dec. 31, 2018…Signed by the Cleveland Browns on April 5, 2019."

Not to mention his AAF experience as likely that league's MVP

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

I like Gilbert. I ADDED him to my roster.

Just think there will be a veteran backing up Baker this year, and unless someone better becomes available, Stanton has an 11-6 record as a starter in the NFL and has been with Freddy for five seasons, so I think he's their guy at this point.

Z

• Like 1

I think you're right about Stanton, and I just read that he has his best day of camp recently, firing multiple TD passes and moving the ball quite well down the field.  That's really good to hear should the unthinkable happen.  I know it was obviously just the first preseason game and all, but I was kind of impressed with the physical tools of our younger back up QB's.  I thought the ball came out pretty hot with impressive arm strength.

I just read another "Should the Browns trade for Trent Williams" article, and it left me with the feeling that we're pretty set at OL except for our RG spot.  For whatever reason, Corbett hasn't worked out, and Kush seems to be taking his chance and making the most out of it.  And I know this really doesn't matter too much, but Kush also passes the "eyeball test", ya know?  When you look at Kush and Corbett standing next to each other, Kush just SEEMS like the better candidate.  Now I know this isn't scientific at ALL, but Kush looks like the guy you don't want to mess with, and Corbett looks like the guy trading Pokemon cards at that weird store in the mall nobody ever goes into.  As far as Trent Williams goes, I don't see us making a move in the slightest, even IF Washington wanted to make a trade, which they don't.  Trent is going into his 8th season, which is getting up there, and I can't see us trading resources for an older LT, no matter how good he is.  Also, Greg Robinson continues to improve by going against Myles Garrett, and although he gets his ass handed to him several times a practice, there's absolutely no way this isn't helping Greg get better.  Again, it's just the first preseason game, but Greg Robinson locked it DOWN against the Redskins and looked very good.  

Callaway having an ankle sprain and being suspended leaves a roster spot open for another receiver, and in my mind it's either Jalen Strong or Sheehy.  I'd love nothing more than to see Sheehy continue making plays and earn a roster spot.  That would be terrific, and it would also give us a legit weapon on returns, which we haven't had in quite some time. 

31 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I think you're right about Stanton, and I just read that he has his best day of camp recently, firing multiple TD passes and moving the ball quite well down the field.  That's really good to hear should the unthinkable happen.  I know it was obviously just the first preseason game and all, but I was kind of impressed with the physical tools of our younger back up QB's.  I thought the ball came out pretty hot with impressive arm strength.

I just read another "Should the Browns trade for Trent Williams" article, and it left me with the feeling that we're pretty set at OL except for our RG spot.  For whatever reason, Corbett hasn't worked out, and Kush seems to be taking his chance and making the most out of it.  And I know this really doesn't matter too much, but Kush also passes the "eyeball test", ya know?  When you look at Kush and Corbett standing next to each other, Kush just SEEMS like the better candidate.  Now I know this isn't scientific at ALL, but Kush looks like the guy you don't want to mess with, and Corbett looks like the guy trading Pokemon cards at that weird store in the mall nobody ever goes into.  As far as Trent Williams goes, I don't see us making a move in the slightest, even IF Washington wanted to make a trade, which they don't.  Trent is going into his 8th season, which is getting up there, and I can't see us trading resources for an older LT, no matter how good he is.  Also, Greg Robinson continues to improve by going against Myles Garrett, and although he gets his ass handed to him several times a practice, there's absolutely no way this isn't helping Greg get better.  Again, it's just the first preseason game, but Greg Robinson locked it DOWN against the Redskins and looked very good.  

Callaway having an ankle sprain and being suspended leaves a roster spot open for another receiver, and in my mind it's either Jalen Strong or Sheehy.  I'd love nothing more than to see Sheehy continue making plays and earn a roster spot.  That would be terrific, and it would also give us a legit weapon on returns, which we haven't had in quite some time. 

LOL, you know what that guy who can't post here anymore used to say- you can pull guys out of the Tailgate parking lot to play OL.  In all seriousness- it is concerning that Corbett can't take over the starting RT job (no GM bats 1.000 in every draft) and maybe they're thinking now he my be a better fit at center. No reason to panic yet- no team has an offensive line consisting of all pro bowlers.  :)  

Stanton's arm is weak... and that's being kind. His Vet "guile" may let him eek out a win or two, but if Baker is out for any extended time Gilbert is the man to ride, IMO.... more upside.

That said I think both make the final roster... Baker loves Stanton in the QB room... that's where his real value is. While Gilbert has shown too much potential to cut or risk placing on the PS... where he'd last about a minute. Keep grooming him and come 2020 he might fetch a nice draft pick in a trade.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Am not here to bash G. Robinson nor my favorite team but the tape don't lie..Were overweight to the left & soon to be far under weight on the right side.. with no help from RG to help RT..1)stand Kush next to Joel B.. There is no way Kush weighs 317 as billed..Bears fans loved Kush as the person & in pass pro, but most will tell ya he can't zone block nor road-grade in the run game to save his job as a bear.. 2) Joe Thomas played at 6'6"312//Trent Williams=6'5" 318 lbs..G.Rob is a overgrown man at 6'5"--333LBS>..The all 22 last season, consistantly has shown, G.Robinson mid 3rd quarter hits a endurance wall & gets out adjusted at halftime & with on field adjustments.Lazy endurance, Leads to his poor footwork & reaching late in games..These are not traits of the ironman of JT nor in T.Williams.Our adjustment was?.."Hey Baker, get the ball out quickier". And it worked the 2nd half of season..but,Teams will pick this apart starting this season..Is the winning 'now' window open? if so,,, I'd make that play for Trent Williams for the next 2 seasons on his contract, with a pay rise included.. Robbie has 1 year 7M to swing back to win a job at RG or RT..Looking forward..  Hubbards cap is movable after this season.. Am trusting OL coach Campen to be the expert he gets paid to do..meanwhile, I'll just be the fan watching under my Baker hoodie :ph34r: ((btw, the deadskins stopped taking offers on Trent Williams, suppose it lee today..:lol::P:lol:))  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Stanton's arm is weak... and that's being kind. His Vet "guile" may let him eek out a win or two, but if Baker is out for any extended time Gilbert is the man to ride, IMO.... more upside.

That said I think both make the final roster... Baker loves Stanton in the QB room... that's where his real value is. While Gilbert has shown too much potential to cut or risk placing on the PS... where he'd last about a minute. Keep grooming him and come 2020 he might fetch a nice draft pick in a trade.

I never really understood the "mentor" backup QB thing. Just make up a position for him on the coaching staff and save the roster spot. Gilbert is out playing Stanton so far and if that's the case he should be the backup. Better, cheaper, more potential.

Changing subject, how is the kicker battle going? I think Joseph has the lead for what I have read though Seibert has been drafted this year. Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, Nero said:

Changing subject, how is the kicker battle going? I think Joseph has the lead for what I have read though Seibert has been drafted this year. Thoughts?

I would say Joseph is holding an edge, but this is not played out yet. The other day Joseph was 5/5 and Seibert 4/5. Freddie seems patient about it, gonna let it play out. My money is still on the 5th round pick. If neither step up, look for us to scour the wire before first game.

Zombo

56 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Hard to waste a 5th...

:D:D:D 0-16 was the cumulative  FAIL wasting (I've  lost count of) first and second round picks on bums. By comparison,  if a fifth round  pick busts, not  nearly as  disastrous.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

:D:D:D 0-16 was the cumulative  FAIL wasting (I've  lost count of) first and second round picks on bums. By comparison,  if a fifth round  pick busts, not  nearly as  disastrous.  

The 2019 5th round NFL Draft Picks ran from #139 through #173 yes I think you can gamble a bit on those numbers, if you continually blow #1 through #64 it can wreck your team going forward.

Oh our beloved BROWNS shouldn't be picking in the top 10 again any time soon....... thankfully!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

The 2019 5th round NFL Draft Picks ran from #139 through #173 yes I think you can gamble a bit on those numbers, if you continually blow #1 through #64 it can wreck your team going forward.

Oh our beloved BROWNS shouldn't be picking in the top 10 again any time soon....... thankfully!

I won't totally rehash the Browns drafting ineptitude BM- before Myles, but it's not pretty. Since 1999 the browns have drafted top 10 nine times. Only the Joes- Thomas and Haden lived up to their draft status, the rest unperformed or were flat out busts. 

We also pulled off the amazing quarterback trifecta bust @ #21 with Quinn, Weeden, and Manziel. I'm of the opinion if we ever wind up with that pick again we need to trade out of it. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I won't totally rehash the Browns drafting ineptitude BM- before Myles, but it's not pretty. Since 1999 the browns have drafted top 10 nine times. Only the Joes- Thomas and Haden lived up to their draft status, the rest unperformed or were flat out busts. 

We also pulled off the amazing quarterback trifecta bust @ #22 with Quinn, Weeden, and Manziel. I'm of the opinion if we ever wind up with that pick again we need to trade out of it. 

FIFY...#22.

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

FIFY...#22.

Mike

Oh yes that lucky #22 spot.

(Only really lucky in Casablanca if you know the movie.)

On 8/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

I’d be surprised if Forbes didn’t make the 53

You are right. After reading about the Indy scrimmage, he was getting some praise from Freddy about fighting through the hard times and keeping his head down.

And I guess it is time for me to demote Corbett, the Browns seem to have given up on him as the RG. But I don't see Corbett getting cut, he may be the starting center next year ... so I am cutting Kalis

I also liked reports that Kerridge was "chirpping" a lot and being physical, so I am promoting him.

I've still got a find a way to get Ray Ray Armstong on the roster as well, and DJ Montgomery seems to be on the rise at wr.

Updated 8/16

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton, G. Gilbert, D. Blough

FB/H-B J. Kerridge

WR1  O. Beckham,  D. Willies,  (A. Callaway, Susp.) J. Strong, DJ Montgomery

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown, R. Gathers (Susp.)

LG J. Bitonio D. ForbesB. Witzmann

C J.Tretter , A. Corbett K. Kalis

RG  E. Kush, D. Forbes

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm 

DE O. Vernon,  C. Smith