THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Depth Chart 2019

Zombo

43 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

All in all I am very happy with how much better this team starts out from where we ended up last season. Vast improvement in major areas of weakness both sides of the ball that help our offense become even more of a scoring machine and our D the ability to create many more opportunities for the offense to make those scores. 

Now next year all we have to do is add the Ray Guy Award winning A&M punter who set the all time single season yards per punt at 50.98.🤗🤩😂 

(That plus Garrett should clear the books completely from the Johnny Football mistake).😘

Ah......No!

:P

Sprinkled in some UDFAs. Training camp in a month and a half!

Updated 5/3/19

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton, G. Gilbert, D. Blough

FB/H-B O. Charles

RB  N. Chubb, D. Johnson,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.) D. Johnson

WR1  O. Beckham, A. Callaway, D. Willies,  B. Jackson

WR2 J. Landry, R. Higgins, D .Ratley, J.Strong

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown

LT G. Robinson, D. Harrison

LG J. Bitonio D. Forbes

C J.Tretter K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett, E. Kush B. Witzmann

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm B. Seaton

DE M. Garrett, C. Smith, C. Thomas

DT  Ogunjobi, C. Davis, D. Lawrence

DT  S. Richardson,T Coley, B. Price

DE O. Vernon, Zettle,

MLB Schoebert, M. Wilson R. Armstrong

OLB G. Avery, A. Taylor, A. Stubbs

OLB C. Kirksey, S. Takitaki D,.Young

CB D. Ward , T. Carrie, T. Thomas, J.Burris, L. Pipkins

CB  T. Mitchell, G. Williams, D. Lewis,  P. Gaines

FS D. Randall, S. Redwine,

SS  M. Burnett, E. Murray, J Whitehead

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR (Hilliard) D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

PR (Callaway)

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2019 at 7:58 AM, Zombo said:

Updated after the draft. Will sprinkle in a few udfas later after I've had a chance to read about them.

Hit every need I had listed in the draft ... what a squad!

Updated 5/3/19

FB/H-B O. Charles

RB  N. Chubb, D. Johnson,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.) D. Mayes

LG J. Bitonio D. Forbes

C J.Tretter, K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett, E. Kush, B. Witzmann

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm, B. Seaton

DT  S. Richardson,T Coley, B. Price

DE O. Vernon, Zettle,

MLB Schoebert, M. Wilson, R. Armstrong

OLB C. Kirksey, S. Takitaki, D.Young

CB D. Ward , T. Carrie, T. Thomas, J.Burris

CB  T. Mitchell, G. Williams, D. Lewis,  P. Gaines

FS D. Randall, S. Redwine, J Whitehead

SS  M. Burnett, E. Murray 

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR (Hilliard) D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

PR (Callaway)

Further position definitions:

I have Callaway as the third wideout with Landry in slot. Eric Kush should be the backup center when the dust settles. I could see D. Lewis going to the practice squad with E. Murray being an extra dime corner and Whitehead making the team as a special teamer. I'm sure camp will bring many changes!

Updated Needs:

Linebacker, Tackle, Cornerback, Safety, Kicker, Depth Everywhere

Great job with that all throughout Zombo!  

It'll be interesting to see what CB covers the slot; because teams don't always put their worst WR in the slot.  For example, Randy Moss was the slot in Minnesota when Cris Carter and Jake Reed were the WRs outside.  Jarvis Landry in Miami and Cleveland.  And now Ratville just drafted a 165 lb WR that will get pressed into worthlessness at the line of scrimmage if he's anywhere but slot or flanker.

In 2001, we broke in rookie CB Anthony Henry covering the slot receivers exclusively - and he led the conference with 10 INTs.  That not only was his best NFL season; but it also marked the only time he played the position he was best suited for. It makes me wonder if we should consider starting Greedy Williams out in that kind of role when we factor in the type of seasons Ward and Mitchell just had outside (when healthy). I say such a thing because Mitchell and Ward looked like an incredible tandem when both were healthy (as infrequently as we had both of them together).  

A couple reasonable arguments to that idea, is we'd be wasting Greedy's ideal arm length for jamming WRs at the line of scrimmage if we had him in that role.  And the reality of this idea is we had a hard time keeping Mitchell and Ward healthy enough to play in the same games as often as we needed them to. 

It's not such a bad challenge to have especially when we'll probably get to see a lot of Ward, Greedy and Mitchell on the field at the same time.  Carrie gives us reliable depth.

Edited by Flugel
inserted update from 5/3
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 1:34 PM, Zombo said:

RG  A.Corbett, E. Kush B. Witzmann

Kush is now getting all the 1st team OTA reps.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Kush is now getting all the 1st team OTA reps.

Am i correct in saying? Corbett weighed in the high 280's at the Combine? They all now list him at 306lbs.. add 26 lbs. than move to the right side from left..no way he's starting.. The OTA photos compared to other OLmen? Corb's will get dwarfed at RG,imo.. I keep reading it's Kyle Kalis getting a chance at RG..I favor Kush myself.. but it's OTA's, no biggie..yet :excl:  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/what-should-we-think-of-austin-corbett-in-browns-otas-doug-lesmerises.html    

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Am i correct in saying? Corbett weighed in the high 280's at the Combine? They all now list him at 306lbs.. add 26 lbs. than move to the right side from left..no way he's starting.. The OTA photos compared to other OLmen? Corb's will get dwarfed at RG,imo.. I keep reading it's Kyle Kalis getting a chance at RG..I favor Kush myself.. but it's OTA's, no biggie..yet :excl:  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/what-should-we-think-of-austin-corbett-in-browns-otas-doug-lesmerises.html    

It is interesting math Gumbs!  

It IS possible when he impressed teams at the combines in the Okie drills and for his perceived flexibility playing another position inside - it was a false positive.  For example, did all the elite defensive linemen attend that all star game/week of practices to show us where Corbett stands among guys that will make NFL rosters and start? 

Forgot where I heard it, but it was rumored other teams were interested in Corbett in round 2 as well.  That's fine; but I still wonder what specifically made him more gotta have than Nick Chubb in round 2?    I still remember the cameras on Dorsey celebrating that pick like he landed the steal of that draft.   For all I know, time and patience could prove him right.

All that said, I like the competition setting up here on the right side.  Even though I've read they're giving Forbes a shot at Tackle, the way he can trap and pull (as well as his elite rankings in tests measuring explosion) - Forbes is my dark horse for the RG spot.  He looks REALLY polished on film.  He doesn't belly back off the line of scrimmage when he traps and pulls, keeps ideal pad height, and does a good job with his feet so that he doesn't over extend. 

• Upvote 1

I lack the technical expertise of many on this Board but it just seems to me that, with all the debate of who may start & where, we are looking at far less drop off in production if & when injuries happen. The depth on this Team seems to be constantly improving. Training Camp should be most interesting this year.

Mike

While we may lack established quality depth on the OL, I am interested to see what OL Coach Campen can do with incumbents & what may still happen with acquisitions. I do feel that we have major Coaching improvement on the OL & STs.

Time will tell.

Mike

On 3/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, Zombo said:

LG J. Bitonio E. Kush

C J.Tretter K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett, B. Witzmann

Barring an unreasonable volume of injuries, I like how we stacked up on the oline.  There's quite a few guys above with a sufficient number of starts under their belts to offer us good camp competitions and reliable depth aside from seeing what a rookie like Forbes is capable of.  It's also conceivable that younger players get better with experience and the right kind of strength and conditioning guidance.  Check out the careers of guys like Paul Farren, Tony Jones, Cody Risien, Hank Fraley, Greg Robinson and many others to see what's possible in that realm.

At this time last year, who thought we had a decent solution for the retirement of Joe Thomas especially considering we spent a 1st overall pick on a QB? 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

A.) Forgot where I heard it, but it was rumored other teams were interested in Corbett in round 2 as well.  That's fine; but I still wonder what specifically made him more gotta have than Nick Chubb in round 2?   

B.) All that said, I like the competition setting up here on the right side.  Even though I've read they're giving Forbes a shot at Tackle, the way he can trap and pull (as well as his elite rankings in tests measuring explosion) - Forbes is my dark horse for the RG spot.  He looks REALLY polished on film.  He doesn't belly back off the line of scrimmage when he traps and pulls, keeps ideal pad height, and does a good job with his feet so that he doesn't over extend. 

A.) Corbett was a goner in the 2nd,agreed. but I just think they put to much on his combine numbers & personality, underestimating his game tape 'weak body impact punch' at the next level. Corb's pushed the bar up 19 times at combine. The teams were NYG(pick 34 Hernandez)/Car.(55)/Vikes (62 took my guy Brian O'Neill)/Atl.(58)/Dallas(pick 50)..The NYG's took Barkley, so the Nick Chubb pick at 35 was going to still be on the board,as long as nobody traded up with Gettleman. good to know Gm's?;) After Corb's at 33, the G-men grab Hernandez at 34(37 bench). 35.Nick Chubb 36.Colts-Darius Leonard/37.G Braden Smith(35 bench).That's a good group of all starters now. Moving on off that dead horse.. Nobody's right on every pick..          B.) I also like the comp that Dorse & Campen have put on the OL roster..New coaching eyes on JD's picks..We just need some pads on to see it...  👀..    Edit--A battle for RG thread maybe building?..moving off depth chart topic?       

22 hours ago, gumby73 said:

A.) Corbett was a goner in the 2nd,agreed. but I just think they put to much on his combine numbers & personality, underestimating his game tape 'weak body impact punch' at the next level. Corb's pushed the bar up 19 times at combine. The teams were NYG(pick 34 Hernandez)/Car.(55)/Vikes (62 took my guy Brian O'Neill)/Atl.(58)/Dallas(pick 50)..The NYG's took Barkley, so the Nick Chubb pick at 35 was going to still be on the board,as long as nobody traded up with Gettleman. good to know Gm's?;) After Corb's at 33, the G-men grab Hernandez at 34(37 bench). 35.Nick Chubb 36.Colts-Darius Leonard/37.G Braden Smith(35 bench).That's a good group of all starters now. Moving on off that dead horse.. Nobody's right on every pick..          B.) I also like the comp that Dorse & Campen have put on the OL roster..New coaching eyes on JD's picks..We just need some pads on to see it...  👀..    Edit--A battle for RG thread maybe building?..moving off depth chart topic?       

19 reps is DBs, RBs, and WRs territory so if that punch is as important as you emph above - DID they really put too much stock in his combine numbers or just the ones they considered most important for his NFL niche?  JMO, but wing span and punch seems way more important to offensive tackles that can face DEs lining up out wide (without any help from the TE).  As important as that is for OTs, the ability to cover ground laterally as quickly as possible is what made Joe Thomas elite.  OGs don't have nearly as much ground to cover laterally when they face the 320-250 lb DTs in the smaller area between Tackle and Center. They still have to have quick feet for pulling, trapping, reach and hinge, getting to the next tier and beating defenders to an area they only have to seal.   Any combine assessments relevant will probably be important to our scouts.

Like I said in my previous post, what improved Corbett's attraction was the week of practices at his college all star game.  The 1 on 1/Okie drills and the flexibility to kick inside. Keep in mind, none of that involved the NFL complexities that can slow a prospect down to paralysis of over-analysis during his learning curve especially if the prospect has the type of perceived flexibility where they want him learning Guard, Center an Tackle.  Before the draft I frequently mentioned how much Hernandez intrigued me. When we didn't  pick Chubb at #33 I was like "what the HELL did they possibly find wrong with Hernandez?"  He had it from the workout to the game tape (at least against the level of competition he faced).  And then in preseason I saw the same Jamie Meder (we ended up cutting) jack Hernandez up backward into the backfield to stuff a run for a loss.  Just to make sure, I watched the replay and thought to myself maybe this is what guys that watch way more film of draft prospects than me saw.  The Youtube stuff usually only shows us their best moments and it ain't always against competition that will be playing at the next level. 

I haven't been very patient with Corbett so far which is WHY I asked what made him more gotta have than Nick Chubb at 33 overall.  While I appreciated you reciting what took place, it didn't change my feeling about how important is was to nail that first pick of round 2. As I said, there was a great deal of relief and celebration shown by a very experienced Dorsey in the draft process when we selected Corbett; so I'm guessing they put the time in on him that I never did as a fan that could only ask "we drafted who?"  In other words, they don't Cliff Notes study this stuff like many of their biggest critics do.

For the most part we agree Gumbs.  It looks like they've brought in some resumes with NFL starting experience as well as an explosive guy like Forbes to compete.  I'm not buying that Forbes is a tackle first any more than Greg Robinson can only play on the right side of the line.  FWIW, during the span we had the trio of Joe Thomas, Alex Mack and Mitch Schwartz - the best record we had was 7-9.  Last year, we went 7-8-1 with the Harrison & Robinson at LT, Tretter at Center and Hubbard at RT.  They all return plus Bitonio as we await who wins the job at RG. 

Edited by Flugel
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Corbett was a goner in the 2nd,agreed. but I just think they put to much on his combine numbers & personality, underestimating his game tape 'weak body impact punch' at the next level. Corb's pushed the bar up 19 times at combine.

Actually nothing in Austin's Combine screamed "punch" which comes from hip snap as much as it does arm thrust.

His 1.76 10-yd split and 28" vert are both pedestrian results,  but even more disappointing was his 3-cone at 7.87 sec. PFF found 3-cone to be the most highly correlated predictor of OG success.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

It's possible that Dorsey totally whiffed on the Corbet thing (including the trade).  Hopefully the new OL coach can work a miracle with him.

Am fairly sure Dorsey does not like trading good ball players like Big Z..but the trade was more to upgrade a defensive position with Vernon. Gettleman got his equal value at his need of position at OL. Wilks may have been the fresh eyes on OB's gametape? I've spent the long weekend watching some of Corbett..You can't see much, when he only took 1.28% of the offensive plays, with only 14 snaps on the offense & 6 of those were at LT. The 1st game was at the Saints(4 snaps from LT)..9.03% were on 42 ST snaps..Corbett has only played from the left side.The Balt. game where the winning FG was tipped. The Ravens targeted right at Corbetts gap. It's hard to guess when guys are practising in shorts/shells at OTA's ..but this* is something to consider wrote back on 3-31-19..Before the draft.Geoff Schwartz is Mitchell's brother.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/3/31/18288575/cleveland-browns-austin-corbett-switching-guard-not-easy (sounds about right) per the media, Corbett was getting coached up on 1)hand placement. 2) footwork assignments. new* stepping & punching leads to 3.)reaching to much.(poor balance,with no power impact) Dorsey may have given Corbett the Keys to drive the car like Nick Chubb did? But Dorsey also added 7 additional bodies to play Guard if the Corbett stalls.We will get more this week from OTa's..but, I prefer hearing from guys like Geoff Schwartz that has done this before, far before our clueless media..  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just running a post-OTA update.

Multi-positional players:

Forbes: G-T

Kush C-G ... I see him making team as backing up both positions

Kalis G-C ... He seems to have emerged into a fight for starting RG, I still have him off the roster, but we'll keep a close watch on him

Witzman G-T

Avery LB-DE (Edge) ... Looks like we will be playing 2 LB sets most of the time and Avery will specialize in pass rushing

Murray CB-S (Slot/Dime) Whitehead seems to have found his way on to the roster at safety, so I am putting Murray with the CB bunch, he'll be on the field in nickel/dime sets

FB/H-B O. Charles

RB  N. Chubb, D. Johnson,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.) D. Johnson

LG J. Bitonio D. Forbes

C J.Tretter E. Kush

RG  A.Corbett, K. Kalis B. Witzmann

DT  S. Richardson,T Coley, B. Price

DE O. Vernon, Zettle,

MLB Schoebert, M. Wilson R. Armstrong

OLB C. Kirksey, S. Takitaki D,.Young

CB  T. Mitchell, G. Williams, E. Murray, D. Lewis,  P. Gaines

SS  M. Burnett,  J Whitehead

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR (Hilliard) D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

PR (Callaway)

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Z:  is it better to have all that versatility along the OL,  or would it be better to have people who really can shine at their specialized slot?  

Or, is it a case of, if you don't have the latter, best to go with the former?

With Mayfield's quick release passing it doesn't matter as much -but- to get what should be a decent running game I'd take a few starrs.....too bad JT wasn't in his prime now.

Can't wait to see BM hitting this bunch in a few months:

WR2 J. Landry, R. Higgins, D .Ratley, J.Strong

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Z:  is it better to have all that versatility along the OL,  or would it be better to have people who really can shine at their specialized slot?  

Or, is it a case of, if you don't have the latter, best to go with the former?

I think, ideally, you want versatility in your backups, and we have that. Your starters need to shine, and we have 4 that shone last year ... we are waiting for Mr. Corbett to hopefully join that group.

Z

• Thanks 1

Z, your total is 52... 24 O + 25 D +3 ST... so you have room to keep Kalis, which since he is currently a #1 might be wise.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, Zombo said:

... we are waiting for Mr. Corbett a RG to hopefully join that group.

FIFY

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Z, your total is 52... 24 O + 25 D +3 ST... so you have room to keep Kalis, which since he is currently a #1 might be wise.

FIFY

Not quite buying in on Kalis yet. Nine O-linemen are enough, I'll activate a special teamer like Ray Ray Armstrong or 7th rounder Donnie Lewis ... they do admire their own picks.

Zombo

Updated June 5th: Desmond Harrison released.

FB/H-B O. Charles

LT G. Robinson, B. Seaton

LG J. Bitonio D. Forbes

C J.Tretter E. Kush

RG  A.Corbett, K. Kalis B. Witzmann

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm 

DT  S. Richardson,T Coley, B. Price

DE O. Vernon, Zettle,

MLB Schoebert, M. Wilson R. Armstrong

OLB C. Kirksey, S. Takitaki D,.Young

CB  T. Mitchell, G. Williams, E. Murray, D. Lewis P. Gaines

SS  M. Burnett,  J Whitehead

K A. Seibert, G. Joseph

P Colquitt, J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR (Hilliard) D. Sheehy-Guiseppe

PR (Callaway)

On 6/5/2019 at 2:25 PM, Zombo said:

Updated June 5th: Desmond Harrison released.  Well done Z, 53..not going to be easy

QB B.Mayfield*, D.Stanton *, G. Gilbert to ps, if picked bring back Blough

FB/H-B O. Charles*

RB  N. Chubb*, D. Johnson(cut/trade),  D.Hilliard *(Hunt Susp.*) 

WR1  O. Beckham*, A. Callaway*, D. Willies*(Hyman or Willies'? pick any 2 of 8 on board..)

WR2 J. Landry*, R. Higgins*, Hyman* D .Ratley(ps), J.Strong(cut)

TE D. Njoku*, D. Harris*, S. Devalve*

LT G. Robinson*, D.Forbes*

LG J. Bitonio *   

C J.Tretter* K.Kush*

RG  K. Kalis* A.Corbett

RT C. Hubbard*, K. Lamm* 

DE M. Garrett*, C. Smith*

DT  Ogunjobi*, C. Davis*

DT  S. Richardson*,T Coley

DE O. Vernon*, Zettle

MLB Schoebert*, M. Wilson* R. Armstrong*

OLB G. Avery*, A. Taylor*

OLB C. Kirksey*, S. Takitaki* 

CB D. Ward* , T. Carrie*, T. Thomas, 

CB  T. Mitchell*, G. Williams*, E. Murray*, D. Lewis(ps) P. Gaines*

FS D. Randall*, S. Redwine*,

SS  M. Burnett*,  J Whitehead*

K A. Seibert* ??  count body

P Colquitt* ?? count body

LS Hughlett*

KR (Hilliard)

PR (Callaway)

2 camps in..a june 53 man roster..last 3 cut were Witzman,Chad Thomas,Ratley and (Ray-Ray was spared as a ST'er)...we could seriously use a upgrade at DT depth & Edge..Where Else? RG/T.. And I really like what am reading on Harvey & Deans, but am out of spots..Pads in 6 weeks will help..Any changes am not seeing?  

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

I like his pick of Takitaki as a player to watch. He wasn't anywhere on my radar when chosen, but obviously the pro pickers ion the FO liked him for reasons that should comne to the forefront this year. Therefore this pick as the #1 most interesting player to watch is a very good pick IMO. As a guy who believes that defense gets you in playoffs and wins them, I could not have picked a better one to be curious about anywhere else on the team. That said I would pick his fellow rookie Mack Wilson as #2.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:16 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Good analysis of Mayfield - yes, he does have areas for improvement if he wants to be elite.

Literally 50 seconds into the video...     All I had to do was remember the last regular season game vs the Ravens as evidence that height can be an issue at times for Baker.  Especially when resetting in the pocket and finding additional throwing lanes.