THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Depth Chart 2019

Zombo

Ok, going to keep a running Depth Chart again, these are just my projections for who we line up for opening day with the players on the roster we have now. The idea is to see where we may need to add somebody going into free agency and the draft, and then after that it is to see who makes the final 53. Some of the lesser names, like street free gents are left off until they make an impact in camp and come into the picture, so it is not an end-all depth chart, just a working skeleton:

Guys in bold are guys that I think make the current final 53

QB Mayfield, Stanton

FB

RB Chubb, Johnson, Hilliard (Hunt Susp.)

WR1 Calloway, Willies, Strong, Ratley

WR2 Landry, Higgins, Louis, Jackson

TE Njoku, Devalve, Brown

LT Robinson, Harrison

LG Bitonio

C Tretter

RG  Corbett

RT Hubbard

DE Garrett, Smith

DT  Ogunjobi, Lawrence

DT Coley, Price

DE Ogbah, Zettle, Thomas

MLB Schoebert, 

OLB Vernon, Hines

OLB Kirksey, Avery

CB Ward , Thomas, Wilson

CB  Mitchell, Carrie, Burris

S Randall. Whitehead

S Peppers, Kindred

K Joseph

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Hilliard, Peppers

PR Calloway, Peppers

OK, a LOT of guys are going to be added. Right now I only have 49 guys with a chance to make the roster.

But this helps to see needs:

Backup Quarterback

Blocking Fullback/TE/HB

#1 WR

Backup TE

Guards and Tackles: Need depth for paper thin line and Starter competition at LT, RG, RT

DE: Need an upgrade over Ogbah

DT: Need an upgrade over Coley

MLB Need depth

OLB Need depth, possible replacement for Kirksey

CB Need another starter quality corner

ST: Competiotion for Joseph and another kick returner

So going into Free agency and Draft, I say our biggest needs are:

1. Interior Defensive Line

2. Wide Receiver

3, Guard

4. Tackle

5. Defensive End

6. Cornerback

7. Tight End

8. Linebacker

That's a lot of holes, but let's see what Dorsey fills in Free Agency, and then we'll have a good idea fo what our draft needs are.

Zombo

I thought Vernon was to be slated as a DE,  not LB.  Or is he considered an either/or guy?

What about Orson at Fullback, isn't he the one that filled that role?  Or the H-back role?

And I have always felt that Kirksey was an ILB, not OLB.  To me, he would be the natural backup to Schobert in the middle.

So, I would put the priorities to be 1.  DT perhaps   2.  OLB to replace Collins   Assuming that Vernon is in the DE role.

Much of the rest of your priorities seem right on.

IF, if, if, the Browns were to sign Justin Houston....he being  Dorsey guy,    where would that put us in terms of OLB/DE

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I thought Vernon was to be slated as a DE,  not LB.  Or is he considered an either/or guy?

What about Orson at Fullback, isn't he the one that filled that role?  Or the H-back role?

And I have always felt that Kirksey was an ILB, not OLB.  To me, he would be the natural backup to Schobert in the middle.

So, I would put the priorities to be 1.  DT perhaps   2.  OLB to replace Collins   Assuming that Vernon is in the DE role.

Much of the rest of your priorities seem right on.

IF, if, if, the Browns were to sign Justin Houston....he being  Dorsey guy,    where would that put us in terms of OLB/DE

Vernon is an either/or, if we sign Houston, then I see Houston at LB and Vernon in Ogbah's spot. That would be nice.

Orson Charles is a free agent.

Kirksey not being paid to be a backup, either he starts outside or he is replaced and he walks, imo.

Zombo

Very Happy to update the depth chart 3/13/18:

Going to keep a running Depth Chart again, these are just my projections for who we line up for opening day with the players on the roster we have now. The idea is to see where we may need to add somebody going into free agency and the draft, and then after that it is to see who makes the final 53. Some of the lesser names, like street free gents are left off until they make an impact in camp and come into the picture, so it is not an end-all depth chart, just a working skeleton:

Guys in bold are guys that I think make the current final 53

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton

FB

RB  N. Chubb, D. Johnson,  D.Hilliard (Hunt Susp.)

WR1  O. Beckham, A. Calloway, D. Willies, R. Louis, B. Jackson

WR2 J. Landry, R. Higgins, J.Strong, D .Ratley,

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown

LT G. Robinson, D. Harrison

LG J. Bitonio

C J.Tretter K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett

RT C. Hubbard, B. Seaton

DE Garrett, Smith, Thomas

DT  Ogunjobi, C. Davis, D. Lawrence

DT  S. Richardson,T Coley, B. Price

DE O. Vernon, Ogbah, Zettle,

MLB Schoebert, R. Armstrong

OLB G. Avery, Hines

OLB Kirksey, A. Thomas

CB D. Ward , T. Thomas, H. Wilson

CB  T. Mitchell, T. Carrie, 

S D. Randall. J. Whitehead

S D. Kindred

K Joseph

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Hilliard

PR Calloway

Notes: I went with the consensus and moved Vernon as an edge rusher at DE, not edge rusher lined as OLB

There have been no press releases from Browns either way on FAs Charles FB/TE and FA Burris CB ... so I will keep them off for now, but I have a feeling that Charles will be penciled back in.

I've heard rumblings about the Browns signing a reserve free agent guard from the Bears, Eric Kush, but nothing has been made official, so Promoted some filler names who I don't think will make the team. I filled in a few other spots that will get blown out by more FAs draft and udfa period, guys in bold have best shot to make final 53 IMO

Updated Major Needs List:

1. Interior Defensive Line  Linebacker

2. Wide Receiver  Safety

3, Guard

4. Tackle

5. Defensive End  Cornerback

We still have the draft and the rest of free agency to hit our biggest needs ... Earl Thomas could drop safety off the emergency list.

Zombo

6 minutes ago, Zombo said:

1. Interior Defensive Line  Linebacker

2. Wide Receiver  Safety

3, Guard

4. Tackle

5. Defensive End  Cornerback

I'd swap CB and Safety, Z. I think Kindred can fill Peppers's shoes in Wilks' system.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I'd swap CB and Safety, Z. I think Kindred can fill Peppers's shoes in Wilks' system.

Well, with departures of Peppers and Calhoun, I only see three guys on the roster that could make the 53 as a safety and one is a dedicated special teamer, so something is going to give there. I agree on CB as a major need, as we only have three guys that are starter quality and you really need five good ones, and finding another top notch starter across from Ward would be ideal.

Z

• Upvote 1

Yup... land a CB prize and our depth gets good at the position in a hurry.

EDIT: ... and I just remembered we still have Wilson in the wings... I still have great hopes for the kid.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... land a CB prize and our depth gets good at the position in a hurry.

EDIT: ... and I just remembered we still have Wilson in the wings... I still have great hopes for the kid.

I thought of you when I bolded his name.

Plus, I follow him on Tweeter and he seems like a dedicated kid.

Zombo

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't really see them having   9 WRs and  4 TEs....and no backup OG.

Plus, you have 55 on there,  so two have to go.   Likely from these spots.

If we do get Earl Thomas, then that position will have been taken care of.

This is not intended to be a Final 53 at this point, we still have a huge influx coming in. Just a skeleton for the fans to identify our needs.

Z

10 hours ago, Zombo said:

Very Happy to update the depth chart 3/13/18:

Going to keep a running Depth Chart again, these are just my projections for who we line up for opening day with the players on the roster we have now. The idea is to see where we may need to add somebody going into free agency and the draft, and then after that it is to see who makes the final 53. Some of the lesser names, like street free gents are left off until they make an impact in camp and come into the picture, so it is not an end-all depth chart, just a working skeleton:

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton

FB

Zombo

Wow has the firepower changed since I came over here before the 2016 season one can't help to look forward to the 2019 Draft and other possible acquisitions to see how the 2019 BROWNS do to challenge the ALC and try to move on from there. Now to concentrate on the defense and make our fantastic 2019 predictions. :huh:

You can't help not getting fired up about this season.

GO BROWNS, just win baby!

Post Free Agency Rush Period Depth Chart ... Time to focus on the draft!

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton

FB 

LG J. Bitonio

C J.Tretter K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett, E. Kush

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm B. Seaton

DT  Ogunjobi, C. Davis, D. Lawrence

OLB G. Avery, Hines

OLB Kirksey, A. Thomas

CB  T. Mitchell, T. Carrie, P. Gaines

S D. Kindred

K Joseph

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR (Hilliard)

PR (Calloway)

No, I don't think we are going to keep 8 WRS , these are just the guys that have the best chance of landing a roster spot at this writing ... ahead of the draft. restricted free agents who I have heard nothing either way ... like Orson Charles, I am leaving off for now.

Updated Needs:

1. Linebacker

2. Safety

4. Cornerback

5. OL Depth

Other concerns:

Backup QB

Kicker

On 3/13/2019 at 11:07 AM, Zombo said:

and finding another top notch starter across from Ward would be ideal.

Z

Mitchell, when healthy last year, looked to be top notch for a #2 corner.  If a rookie can come in here and beat out Mitchell, that would make our top 3 corners as good as any in this league (especially with an improved pass rush). That wouldn't suck at all...

As outrageous as this sounds - the problem wasn't depth at corner last year. It was injuries to our depth (during the time we went without one or both starters at corner). Both guys named Gaines got injured to the extent Randall had to be our 3rd corner during some of our games.   That's just REAL bad luck when you can only commit so many active roster spots to the position. 

Updated 3/22/19

QB B.Mayfield, D.Stanton

FB 

WR1  O. Beckham, A. Calloway, D. Willies, R. Louis, B. Jackson

TE D. Njoku, D. Harris, S. Devalve, P. Brown

LG J. Bitonio E. Kush

C J.Tretter K. Kalis

RG  A.Corbett, B. Witzmann

RT C. Hubbard, K. Lamm B. Seaton

DT  Ogunjobi, C. Davis, D. Lawrence

OLB G. Avery, Hines

OLB Kirksey, A. Thomas

CB  T. Mitchell, T. Carrie, P. Gaines

S D. Kindred

K Joseph

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR (Hilliard)

PR (Calloway)

Updated Major Needs:

Linebacker, Safety, Tackle, Cornerback

Other concerns:

Backup QB, Kicker

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

At CB, we're a team that needs a good CB opposite our star...but also behind him because he's prone to concussions.  -  Williams used to think that Ward tackled incorrectly.  

• Upvote 1

It’s gonna be interesting trying to figure out what need will be filled with what pick:

2nd     3rd       4th           5ths         6th-7th

#49.  #80.  #119.  #144,155. #189, 221

And #170

I would imagine... CB, LB, S are the top 3 selections. 

Schobert is solid and Kirksey can play well inside as well, so I’d imagine an OLB being selected high. Also don’t rule out another LB being drafted to beef up the depth of the front 7. And a DT somewhere in the mix for depth.

Here's a few good reads with some possible draft names thrown in.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/3/19/18272368/cleveland-browns-draft-needs-4-tiers & https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/3/17/18270280/possible-day-2-picks-for-lb-ss-cb-te-and-ots-at-49-amp-80  changing by the day with new additions. And with trade bait & draft ammo to move on JD's board..BPA on defense, please..      

Top-ranked guards by PBE in 2018: 1. Eric Kush (99.2) T2. Joel Bitonio (98.9) T2. Kevin Zeitler (98.9) T2. Brandon Brooks (98.9) 5. Marshall Yanda (98.8)

On 3/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, Zombo said:

FB 

Are you getting the feeling that we are going to go the H-back route again? I am...

On 3/22/2019 at 7:52 PM, Orion said:

At CB, we're a team that needs a good CB opposite our star...but also behind him because he's prone to concussions.  -  Williams used to think that Ward tackled incorrectly.  

Agree with your take, but I did not see Ward's tackling as "incorrect"... unless Gregg was promoting rugby style (head behind).

Ward's "head in front" is the classic method, but does put la cabasa in harms way...

On 3/22/2019 at 8:58 PM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Schobert is solid and Kirksey can play well inside as well, so I’d imagine an OLB being selected high. Also don’t rule out another LB being drafted to beef up the depth of the front 7. And a DT somewhere in the mix for depth.

Agree that Joe is a more than competent MLB, but he's not the tone-setting, impact guy that great D's feature. That's why I was so focused on picking White when we still had our 1st-rounder. Nor does Kirk fill that bill...

We can make due with Joe inside again, but if someone is added, or  someone we already have emerges, then Joe can slide outside where he played his college ball.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:15 PM, darren15 said:

Top-ranked guards by PBE in 2018...

Who is "PBE"???