THE BROWNS BOARD

Backup Tight End Fells Released

Zombo

27 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Jesse James from the Steelers would look a lot better than Seth Devalve and Fells combined 

But he is like only in his second year, and has at least 2 more years tied up with them.   Why bother bringing his name up.  He may be a bigger go to guy for them now that  AB is gone.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But he is like only in his second year, and has at least 2 more years tied up with them.   Why bother bringing his name up.  He may be a bigger go to guy for them now that  AB is gone.

He's actually a free agent.

Z

5 minutes ago, Zombo said:

He's actually a free agent.

Z

Jesse James?   I thought he was drafted like just 2 years ago.  My how time flies apparently.  But you are right, he is coming into his 5th year:

Receiving & Rushing

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       56 36 173 120 1189 9.9 9 51 2.1 21.2                 120 9.9 1189 9 0 10
2015 21 PIT te 81 8 2 11 8 56 7.0 1 20 1.0 7.0 72.7%               8 7.0 56 1 0 0
2016 22 PIT TE 81 16 13 60 39 338 8.7 3 24 2.4 21.1 65.0%               39 8.7 338 3 0 3
2017 23 PIT TE 81 16 14 63 43 372 8.7 3 32 2.7 23.3 68.3%               43 8.7 372 3 0 4
2018 24 PIT te 81 16 7 39 30 423 14.1 2 51 1.9 26.4 76.9%               30 14.1 423 2 0 3

Sure, why not look at him. I thought he was pretty good. Was he injured....ergo only starting 7 games.   I would say yes as a backup.  I know the Squibs have someone named like  Vance McDonald or something....but James could be a good #2 TE.  An improvement over what we have  (though my impression was that he was more a catching than a blocking TE.

6 playoff games - full playoff gamelogs

I think we are going for a Day 3 Blocking TE with upside... with Njoku and DeValve we are full up with receiving TEs.

There's a kid outta TAMU that is just what the Dr. ordered... and he has a cool name... Sternberger!

I think what l dislike most about this move is it’s the first clear sign that Dorsey and the FO are not willing to honor their own contracts. I get it that GMs regularly don’t honor their own contracts, but it’s usually based on non-performance, injury, salary cap issues, or some variety of aspects that equate to the player not being an amicable return on investment, but none of that is the case here. 

Fells was available, effective with what he was signed to do, and his contract was not a burden in our current situation. It’s the kind of move that has to make other players wonder if they’re next. 

There may be some corresponding move that makes it all make sense in the coming  weeks, but right now it just looks funky.

14 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think what l dislike most about this move is it’s the first clear sign that Dorsey and the FO are not willing to honor their own contracts. I get it that GMs regularly don’t honor their own contracts, but it’s usually based on non-performance, injury, salary cap issues, or some variety of aspects that equate to the player not being an amicable return on investment, but none of that is the case here. 

Fells was available, effective with what he was signed to do, and his contract was not a burden in our current situation. It’s the kind of move that has to make other players wonder if they’re next. 

There may be some corresponding move that makes it all make sense in the coming  weeks, but right now it just looks funky.

See the Free Agency thread.   Fells was rated next to last among TEs that are now FAs. At least according to that ranking.  So, he seems eminently replaceable if you go by that. 

Still....for a 3rd string TE?  I didn't think he was bad.

44 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

You can't be sentimental- as they say "it's a business decision".  As Gipper just pointed out- it looks like Dorsey thinks Fells can be easily upgraded. Called churning the bottom of the roster. Third string TE? 

This isn't in the same league as hoping Corbett is good enough to replace Zeitler as a starter.  

1 minute ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

And would cost a lot more $$$$

The Browns ain't letting go of DeValve....because he is the only player in the NFL from Princeton (I think)....and we have JC Tretter, the only player in the NFL from Cornell.  They want to be considered the smartest team in the league (HA!!) Here is the Ivy rundown:

Harvard  8 players

Penn   2

Brown 2

Yale 1

Columbia 1

Cornell 1

Princeton 1

Dartmouth  -0-

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I think we are going for a Day 3 Blocking TE with upside... with Njoku and DeValve we are full up with receiving TEs.

There's a kid outta TAMU that is just what the Dr. ordered... and he has a cool name... Sternberger!

He was learning to block this year Tour, but was actually better as a receiver downfield.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

You can't be sentimental- as they say "it's a business decision".  As Gipper just pointed out- it looks like Dorsey thinks Fells can be easily upgraded. Called churning the bottom of the roster. Third string TE? 

This isn't in the same league as hoping Corbett is good enough to replace Zeitler as a starter.  

I can be sentimental! Don’t judge my fallen tears for Darren Fells!

And Corbett will be fine. He just needs to grow some facial hair.

16 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think what l dislike most about this move is it’s the first clear sign that Dorsey and the FO are not willing to honor their own contracts.

Vets know the score. It's why when they can they get their money up front. Fells is just one of those guys, a/k/a "journeymen", that couldn't demand that. However, he has 5,000,000 $1-bills with which to apply salve to his wounds.

And as I said earlier releasing him prior to the start of FA was a class move.

57 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Vets know the score. It's why when they can they get their money up front. Fells is just one of those guys, a/k/a "journeymen", that couldn't demand that. However, he has 5,000,000 $1-bills with which to apply salve to his wounds.

And as I said earlier releasing him prior to the start of FA was a class move.

I hope you are right, and l hope Darren Fells has enough dough from the Browns to buy himself a nice chicken farm, or whatever farm of his choosing. And l hope he names his first chicken John Dorsey. And l hope John Dorsey lays him lotsa eggs. Protein for days. 

Archived