THE BROWNS BOARD

Vernon traded to Browns In Exchange For Kevin Zeitler

darren15

3 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

Well had all afternoon to stew on this.. Losing a quality OL really had me worried(still does).. Baker needs the best protection we can afford to buy for him.. BUT GOD DAMN, watching the film on Vernon has be fucking salivating...

This isn't a knock on Garret(well maybe), but he tends to be a one trick pony. He is super fast trying to get around the OL, and is very good at that, but more times than not, the QB just steps inside and its for nothing...

Watching that video of Vernon has me envisioning the QB being forced inside lest Garret strips him or sacks his ass, but then you got Vernon who seems to have next level hands and inside moves and bull rushes that Garret has yet to show.. Imagine Garrent flying around the outside and pushing the runner/QB back inside, where last year they ate us alive.

Vernon seems to sense better where the play is going, whereas Garret is one minded in what he is doing(the going around the edge thing he does). Vernon from the film I've seen looks like a person who understands the playbook. Like Shoebert or Baker, he knows where the play is going and seems to anticipate instead of reacting... This could be so good for us.. Someone who can work the outside but not get caught out there while the play goes inside. He seems to be able to do both.

And hopefully that can rub off on Garret who needs a few more tricks up his sleeve.

BobPound

im not sure you're watching Garrett very closely. His "toolset" is already elite. They lined him up as the 5 tech a lot this season which means in our 34 packages he was lining up between guard and tackle...and not just took them on but often broke through. His bullrush is prob right now better than most of the top FA's at his position. Maybe only Flowers and Ansah are comparable in straight line power. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to hear tho that Flowers was approached and that was just a no go. Either he didn't want to come here at all or wanted too much money. Flowers and Garrett, I mean my god...and Flowers is a regular LDE. Vernon looks like he comes off Garretts side on all of his highlights. Not seen a single rush attempt in any vid from the LDE spot. 

6 hours ago, choco said:

depending on one's opinion of PFF...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-giants-browns-both-win-in-blockbuster-vernon-zeitler-trade

still productive regardless of where his is in his career arc

PFF loves the Browns.  Guy who grades as a top 10 OL multiple times is swapped for a guy who has never broken the top 10 in DL and that's a win for the Browns...must be common core math.

Baker needs all the help he can get but time will tell

I guess were gonna find out about Corbett real quick....

I'm kind of "Meh" on this.. We'll see how this tizzy shakes out..... I guess....

I like the move. Vernon is quality & he returns to a 4-3 D. As far as OL goes, remember that we have james Campen as OL line coach. Not only is he VERY experienced & successful, but you can bet he has watched a ton of film since coming aboard & is well aware of Corbett's readiness.

Again, I have tremendous faith in Dorsey & his F/O staff.

Mike

I’m seeing some positive things about Corbett here and there. Just random musings about how strong he is and how he played out of position at tackle. 

I think people would take him more seriously as a lineman if he didn’t have such a baby face. I mean, look at those cheeks! Don’t ya just wanna pinch ‘em? Grow some scruff man!

30E901C5-C110-40D5-AE9B-9D926D7787A8.png

17 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Just wait until they add Suh on the interior. We are going to be FEARED

Not saying id be against that, just dont see it happenin. I don't think suhs leaving LA. I think Dorsey decided to use a trade to as address LDE and will look to use our FA cap on an offensive weapon. DT will probably be drafted.

But who knows maybe I'm wrong. I honestly expected the big FA signing to address the LDE primarily and maybe DT as well. I would have preferred the combo of ansah and hunt to vernon,  in place of giving up zeitler. I like vernon, but giving up a see solid OL piece on a team with historically bad ol's is iffy to me.

I know a lot of people didn't car e for him but Shelton was an interior space eater, biggest reason why 2 seasons ago we were #6 against the run. The zeitler trade feels similar to me, with zeitler being maybe even more important now because of #6. Some People say ahhh it's just a guard. We can pull any ole fatass off the street to protect Baker. 

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

Not saying id be against that, just dont see it happenin. I don't think suhs leaving LA. I think Dorsey decided to use a trade to as address LDE and will look to use our FA cap on an offensive weapon. DT will probably be drafted.

But who knows maybe I'm wrong. I honestly expected the big FA signing to address the LDE primarily and maybe DT as well. I would have preferred the combo of ansah and hunt to vernon,  in place of giving up zeitler. I like vernon, but giving up a see solid OL piece on a team with historically bad ol's is iffy to me.

I know a lot of people didn't car e for him but Shelton was an interior space eater, biggest reason why 2 seasons ago we were #6 against the run. The zeitler trade feels similar to me, with zeitler being maybe even more important now because of #6. Some People say ahhh it's just a guard. We can pull any ole fatass off the street to protect Baker. 

By some people, you mean Ghoolie. 

I'll pull a Canton Mike here and say "We'll see".

I like adding talent in the Dline, but OV has been suffering injuries last two years and as someone said earlier he usually starts from RDE position, the same as Garrett. I'd be more comfortable if he usually played LDE so we would already know for sure that we could play him and MG at the same time. 

I think that Corbett MUST be able to step up and play. Maybe not at Zeitler's level, but certainly at a good level considering the draft pick he was taken with. I like him playing as a guard and not waiting on him to learn how to play another position in the pros. 

I hope we are not messing up the OL too much and we can improve rushing opposite QBs. Adding someone like Vernon in the DL rotation instantly adds some quality depth and I think both Garrett and Ogbah will use that.

And I prefer this instead of a huge firework-cap space nightmare FA signing.

Well here is a novel thought. What about playing him at RDE, Ogbah stays at LDE and move Garrett into a DT spot right next to Ogujobi? There were multiple plays last year when Garrett switched to DT and was an absolute nightmare for the C & G,  constantly splitting them and forcing early throws, stopped runs and even a sack/flush or two. Think about it. If Garrett is right next to Ogbah, don't you think the combined sack total and run stopping goes up between those two and Vernon combined that way?

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

As for the OL concerns some have posted. Dorsey ain't gettin' Baker killed so at least he has confidence that Corbett is ready. In fact Austin likely would have played well last season had he been given the chance.

That said... will there be an OG fall-off? Absolutely... Zeit posted a great year... arguably his best... but to trade into a little fall-off at OG to set MG up for a BIG year is a deal all should welcome.

Sign FA G/C Mitch Morse please..no sacks in over 1500 snaps & dorsey drafted him..make Corbett earn it. am so tired of watching high drafted handouts sitting on cap space..Easy targets on Hubbard/Corbett coming soon & Tretter is no spring chicken.. EDit--those looking for OV at both DE's? need to watch more ACC football;)..Look at The U in Miami OV highlights..Am still a little stunned Dorsey made this move due to comparing injury historys .. but OV has played with his hair on fire 🔥since college..a big time motor guy to add to our rotation..big wingspan right at Big Ben's eyeballs..Big Z your going to be missed in my book..Good career start in Cinn. followed to the Browns..Pro bowls await blocking with S.Barkley? Good Luck, Big Z!!    

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well here is a novel thought. What about playing him at RDE, Ogbah stays at LDE and move Garrett into a DT spot right next to Ogujobi? There were multiple plays last year when Garrett switched to DT and was an absolute nightmare for the C & G,  constantly splitting them and forcing early throws, stopped runs and even a sack/flush or two. Think about it. If Garrett is right next to Ogbah, don't you think the combined sack total and run stopping goes up between those two and Vernon combined that way?

That's an interesting thought!

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

In subpackages I'm sure that is very much in the works.  You can scheme a variety of stunts/twists and movement to get your 4 best players, including your #1 into a disruptive position. 

But if you're talking about sliding Garrett inside on early downs to do work against the run?  .... not so much.   

Side note:  Vernon always reminded me of Trent Cole.

19 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Just wait until they add Suh on the interior. We are going to be FEARED

Didn't he make the All A-Hole Team again this year?

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Sign FA G/C Mitch Morse please..

+1...

I really liked Mitch's Missou tape at OT. Wanted him early Day 3 when he came out, but turned out he was an early Day 2er...

Thought he might end up inside, but I was thinking OG not OC.

Below is from my 2015 Sleeper thread...

On 3/15/2015 at 10:47 AM, Tour2ma said:

Mitch Morse (OG) Missou: Was an OT, but needs to move inside a la Ty Sambrailo. His Combine numbers were not quite Marpetesque, but they are close. Well suited to our ZBS.

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

+1...

I really liked Mitch's Missou tape at OT. Wanted him early Day 3 when he came out, but turned out he was an early Day 2er...

Thought he might end up inside, but I was thinking OG not OC.

Below is from my 2015 Sleeper thread...

did some peeking around after posting & Paradis & Morse maybe looking for more like 10M/year :o..Mitch has had a concussion & a foot injury.than Reiter made him axe-spend$able.reports say Corbett missed 2 games to coaches decision & 3 games to a foot injury..what foot injury? or injury my foot? :D

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Nope. Sorry that's a horrible idea if ur a Myles garret fan. He can 5 tech on passing downs, absolutely. Expect some nascar packages with him sliding inside and Vernon and avery rushing the edges.

But as tia said, if u want him to do that full time ur gonna break him down. He's absolutely strong enough to take on ANY interior o line in football. But to mediate wear and tear he'd have to put on 20 to 30lbs. Than what? He's lost his freak athleticism. 

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

Nope. Sorry that's a horrible idea if ur a Myles garret fan. He can 5 tech on passing downs, absolutely. Expect some nascar packages with him sliding inside and Vernon and avery rushing the edges.

But as tia said, if u want him to do that full time ur gonna break him down. He's absolutely strong enough to take on ANY interior o line in football. But to mediate wear and tear he'd have to put on 20 to 30lbs. Than what? He's lost his freak athleticism. 

Good points all. Best solution? Go buy Suh off the open market and move up ahead of Cincy for White in the draft. Now that would be a nightmare defense to deal with no matter the play.

One final OV thought...

His $$$ contract fits perfectly at this time. After two years we'll be looking to lock up MG and extend Baker.

So unless OV balls out for the next two seasons... two full seasons... I think he's a two-year rental.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:18 AM, Nero said:

I like adding talent in the Dline, but OV has been suffering injuries last two years and as someone said earlier he usually starts from RDE position, the same as Garrett. I'd be more comfortable if he usually played LDE so we would already know for sure that we could play him and MG at the same time. 

I think that Corbett MUST be able to step up and play. Maybe not at Zeitler's level, but certainly at a good level considering the draft pick he was taken with. I like him playing as a guard and not waiting on him to learn how to play another position in the pros. 

I hope we are not messing up the OL too much and we can improve rushing opposite QBs. Adding someone like Vernon in the DL rotation instantly adds some quality depth and I think both Garrett and Ogbah will use that.

And I prefer this instead of a huge firework-cap space nightmare FA signing.

Good post Nero.

Zeitler was a huge buffer to Hubbard's struggles IMO.  Even that wasn't enough at the Tampa Game I attended where 3rd and goal from the 1 ended up getting stuffed both times we went behind Zeitler (not always his fault but it wasn't like he moved his guy off the ball either). 

In robbing Peter to pay Paul, we got a pass rushing LBer (Olivier Vernon) who ranked 4th in QB pressures in 2018 (or the 2nd half of it). That doesn't suck considering we need someone beside Garrett and Ogunjobi to put some pressure on passers. You mentioned above he comes from the right side; but keep in mind Garrett had a 2 year issue with a high ankle sprain his last year at A&M and 1st year with us.  That kind of injury has a tendency to keep it's victims vulnerable to re-occurrence.

While Corbett seems to be adjusting at the pace of Chad Thomas/park, I sure would feel a lot more comfortable if we went after a FA Guard like Roger Saffold (even though he played LG for the Rams).  He's got the size to handle the run blocking at 6'5" 325 lbs while he has the pass pro reliability for the blind side of QB.  As a former/has-been OG, I've played LG and RG without finding 1 more difficult than the other. I think it's an easier transition from 1 side to the other for Guards than it is for Tackles at the NFL level; but Kevin Shaffer would probably disagree since he rated much higher as a RT here than he did as a LT. He finished his career in Chicago as a backup OG.

We can also draft a Guard like the one Tour mentioned from Mizzou (hey, that's what I call my house).  My biggest concern is Bitonio missed significant time to injury in back to back seasons 2-3 years ago while Tretter's last year in GB was spent on IR.  If we lose 1 of these guys on top of our concern about RG - Baker Mayfield could end up feeling like that little kid on the raft in the movie Jaws or Andrew Luck before Quenton Nelson arrived.

All potentially true Flugs, but we traded a position of perceived depth to add impact at another where we were thin...

This trade is a textbook "win-win" on paper.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One final OV thought...

His $$$ contract fits perfectly at this time. After two years we'll be looking to lock up MG and extend Baker.

So unless OV balls out for the next two seasons... two full seasons... I think he's a two-year rental.

Denziel ward will need locking up too

2 minutes ago, chimpy07 said:

Denziel ward will need locking up too

Eventually true, but Ward is ours for 4 more years.

I like the trade.

I'll admit it, I don't know more about our players than do our coaches and Dorsey.  I am comfortable feeling they feel we can fill Zeitlers role.

After Bosa I don't see a starting DE in this draft class. Sweat, Ferguson, Gary are interesting but I am much more comfortable with Vernon starting across from Garrett than relyinging on them to produce. Guard is a very replaceable position unless you got a true mauler and zeitler wasn't. This draft is packed with players who can play G so this was a great move if Vernon stays healthy. We got a legit pass rusher on a 2 year deal who we can cut if he doesn't pan out.

Archived