THE BROWNS BOARD

Vernon traded to Browns In Exchange For Kevin Zeitler

darren15

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I thought we were supposed to get OBJ for Zeitler?   

Instead, we get V.O.   

vo.jpg

Well it was going to be Zeitler a 1st round pick in 2020 a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick this year and Ogbah apparently for OBJ

5 minutes ago, choco said:

depending on one's opinion of PFF...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-giants-browns-both-win-in-blockbuster-vernon-zeitler-trade

still productive regardless of where his is in his career arc

I think highly of Vernon and knew he would be good when NY picked him up. 

However I don't like messing with the line cohesion for a young QB.   That said,  identify who we want there now and that will help to ease my mind.  

Pass rush just got a lot better. 

35 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I think highly of Vernon and knew he would be good when NY picked him up. 

However I don't like messing with the line cohesion for a young QB.   That said,  identify who we want there now and that will help to ease my mind.  

Pass rush just got a lot better. 

That was my firsts reaction...the iOL certainly dictated the offense, and was great by most measures. But that was an awful lot of money to have tied up in OG. Question will be if Corbett is at replacement level, and looks like buddy boy has pushed in those chips (kinda explains the headscratcher of the pick at the time). Knew he had too much salary in guards, and prepped a replacement for one of them.

Salary being almost a wash, pash rush has been upgraded and improved draft position at the cost of perceived OL continuity/regression, which redistributing salary to the appropriate positions. While it's easy to worry about Corbett, I'll save my hand ringing for TC when we can see how things are meshing.

10 minutes ago, choco said:

That was my firsts reaction...the iOL certainly dictated the offense, and was great by most measures. But that was an awful lot of money to have tied up in OG. Question will be if Corbett is at replacement level, and looks like buddy boy has pushed in those chips (kinda explains the headscratcher of the pick at the time). Knew he had too much salary in guards, and prepped a replacement for one of them.

Salary being almost a wash, pash rush has been upgraded and improved draft position at the cost of perceived OL continuity/regression, which redistributing salary to the appropriate positions. While it's easy to worry about Corbett, I'll save my hand ringing for TC when we can see how things are meshing.

And, as many have said,  who is to say that they won't pick up an OG here.   There are a few out there in FA:     Saffold was mentioned. Age 31  Jamon Brown (formerly of Giants)  age 27.   AJ Cann  of Jags   also 27

This was our big move to help shore up the LDE spot? a 28 yr old going on his 3rd contract? I wanna hear that Ansah and Flowers were approached but either didn't want to come to Clev or wanted too much. And yeah, giving up an OL just when our OL started to gel? another head scratcher. 

So Moving Zeitler was right, hate to see him leave, great in pass pro. Wrong player though. Knew the Giants wouldn't move OBJ for anything less than a team offering a crackhead deal. Corbett has some big shoes to fill at guard, he better be ready.

10 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Am l crazy for thinking Watford was a decent guard? I know we didn’t see him much during the regular season but he got in a few packages as an extra blocker. 

You probably are crazy.....for thinking that, and for many other reasons :lol:  But, who knows, you may be right.

19 minutes ago, hoorta said:

So Moving Zeitler was right, hate to see him leave, great in pass pro. Wrong player though. Knew the Giants wouldn't move OBJ for anything less than a team offering a crackhead deal. Corbett has some big shoes to fill at guard, he better be ready.

I imagine there will be a guard drafted as well and it looks good for guards this year.

Vernon is one twitchy ass mofo. That being said, every single snap is from the RDE spot in 2019. I hope that's just the way it happened and that he's not like Forest Gumpy out there on the other side. Cause Garrett is like half the edge rusher from the LDE spot. There's just some dudes who HAVE to come off one side or the other, they are not "ambidextrous". 

But if Vernon can give us that level of productivity, im ok with the trade. Especially since we have depth there with Smith and Avery. 

2 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Strongly disagree. He still has another big payday after these 2 years. And it probably won’t be as a Brown.

We'll worry about that in 2021....  

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

This was our big move to help shore up the LDE spot? a 28 yr old going on his 3rd contract? I wanna hear that Ansah and Flowers were approached but either didn't want to come to Clev or wanted too much. And yeah, giving up an OL just when our OL started to gel? another head scratcher. 

You're the only one around here who was banging the drum for Ansah. Ziggy and Vernon are almost exactly the same age. Take it to the bank Ansah is going to want a contract for more than two years, and probably more guaranteed than the $30 million we're on the hook for Vernon. Yeah, he's probably a better player than Vernon when healthy. He wasn't last year, and you can bet Dorsey took that into consideration. 

Well had all afternoon to stew on this.. Losing a quality OL really had me worried(still does).. Baker needs the best protection we can afford to buy for him.. BUT GOD DAMN, watching the film on Vernon has be fucking salivating...

This isn't a knock on Garret(well maybe), but he tends to be a one trick pony. He is super fast trying to get around the OL, and is very good at that, but more times than not, the QB just steps inside and its for nothing...

Watching that video of Vernon has me envisioning the QB being forced inside lest Garret strips him or sacks his ass, but then you got Vernon who seems to have next level hands and inside moves and bull rushes that Garret has yet to show.. Imagine Garrent flying around the outside and pushing the runner/QB back inside, where last year they ate us alive.

Vernon seems to sense better where the play is going, whereas Garret is one minded in what he is doing(the going around the edge thing he does). Vernon from the film I've seen looks like a person who understands the playbook. Like Shoebert or Baker, he knows where the play is going and seems to anticipate instead of reacting... This could be so good for us.. Someone who can work the outside but not get caught out there while the play goes inside. He seems to be able to do both.

And hopefully that can rub off on Garret who needs a few more tricks up his sleeve.

BobPound

I'll take this deal over the rumored OBJ deal 100/100 times. Giving up Zietler is tough, but

1) Corbett should be much better going into year 2

2) This draft is extremely deep in OL. The browns could still draft more lineman

3) Vernon switched to a 3-4 last year and did not get to put his hand in the ground as much and he still dominated

4) The whole goal of FA is to supplement your team so when the draft comes around you take BPA. That is exactly what the browns are doing. 

5) They were still able to move up almost 20 spots in the draft. That is more firepower. 

I think Dorsey is going to create some fireworks on draft day to get his interior DL. If Oliver falls into the 10-12 range, watch out.

While clearly tentative discussion had to have been going on for a while, I think the Texans tagging Clowney prompted pulling the trigger on this alternative.

Good deal? Yes, provided VO stays healthy... or at least healthier than he's been the past two seasons.

As for the OL concerns some have posted. Dorsey ain't gettin' Baker killed so at least he has confidence that Corbett is ready. In fact Austin likely would have played well last season had he been given the chance.

That said... will there be an OG fall-off? Absolutely... Zeit posted a great year... arguably his best... but to trade into a little fall-off at OG to set MG up for a BIG year is a deal all should welcome.

Archived