THE BROWNS BOARD

Collins & Duke Traded? MKC Ramblings

Canton Dawg

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/03/cdd355f5fa3274/duke-johnson-drawing-trade-interest-from-multiple-teams-breshad-perriman-and-browns-not-close-and-more-browns-insider.html

Duke Johnson drawing trade interest from multiple teams, Breshad Perriman and Browns not close, and more: Browns Insider

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Browns GM John Dorsey did a lot more at the NFL Combine than watch big defensive linemen such as Montez Sweat and big receivers such as D.K. Metcalf make history with their blazing 40 times. 

He also met with the plenty of agents and general managers to help shape his 2019 roster, with the "legal tampering' period starting next Monday and the league year opening on March 13.

Among other meetings, Dorsey huddled with the agent for Jamie Collins about his immediate future, and with the agent for pending free agent Breshad Perriman about an extension.

Dorsey also jokingly held up his phone during his combine podium interview when asked if he'd pursue big-name receivers such as Odell Beckham Jr. and Antonio Brown, telling Steelers GM Kevin Colbert and Giants GM Dave Gettleman to call him.

Here are updates on some of those players:

1. Duke Johnson drawing trade interest

After signing Kareem Hunt on Feb. 11, Dorsey put it out there in a press conference that it doesn't make Johnson expendable "yet.'' That perked up the ears of the some teams in the NFL, who would love to get their hands on the versatile pass-catching back.

At least three NFL teams are currently believed to be interested in trading for Johnson, but more will likely surface if they believe the Browns are serious about it. 

For their part, the Browns are in no rush to deal Johnson in part because they don't know yet how many games Hunt will be suspended by the NFL for the incident with the woman in the hallway of his downtown apartment and in part because he has a cash payout of only $2.3 million in 2019, including bonuses of $25,000 per game.

But if the right offer comes along for Johnson, they'll move him.

Johnson spent much of last season privately frustrated by his lack of touches, but never went public with his beef except to say a few times that he was embracing his primary role as a blocker. 

Johnson thought his touches would increase after offensive coordinator Todd Haley was fired, but they didn't. He did have nine catches in Freddie Kitchens' first game as coordinator against the Chiefs, but he averaged only 2.5 the rest of the way. All told, Johnson's touches were drastically reduced from 156 (82 rushing, 74 receiving) in 2017 to only 87 last season (40 rushing, 47 receiving). 

Dorsey said at the NFL Combine that he's "absolutely'' committed to Johnson moving forward despite Hunt's signing, but if they get a nice offer for the 2015 third-rounder, they'll strongly consider it.

As for the Hunt suspension, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said there's no timeline for when it will be announced. But the Browns are likely hoping it's before the start of the league year to help them make roster roster decisions.

2. Browns and Breshard Perriman not close 

Dorsey met with Breshad Perriman's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, at the NFL Combine, but nothing is imminent in terms of his extension, a league source told cleveland.com.

Rosenhaus might want to let the market set the price for the 2015 first-rounder, especially in this thin free agent receiver class.

With Baker Mayfield throwing him the ball, Perriman made big plays for the Browns down the stretch, and hurt defenses with his blazing speed — 4.25 when he came out in 2015.

Speaking in general teams, Dorsey stressed his need for speed.

"The more team speed you have, the better,'' he said. "If you can get more team speed, I'm all for it."

He also noted how much he'd like Perriman back, knowing it's hard to find a big receiver (6-2, 211) with that kind of speed. 

"We've had numerous conversations with his agent," Dorsey said in his podium interview. "I've spoken to (Perriman) directly and he's expressed a willingness to be here in Cleveland. So I think you wait for that process to unfold. I'd love to have that player here."

As for the franchise or transition tags, which would pay Perriman more than $16 million or $14 million a year, respectively, the Browns are not expected to use either on him by Tuesday's deadline.

3. Jamie Collins will likely either be traded, released or re-structured soon.

Dorsey met with Jamie Collins' agent Bus Cook on Saturday, and we should know soon if he'll be traded, released or if he'll consider a paycut from his $10.5 million base salary in 2019.

If the Browns trade Collins, a team will most likely want to re-work his contract, which includes a $12.5 million base salary for 2020. But he received all of his guaranteed money from his current extension -- $26.4 million -- from the Browns, so that's not an issue for a new team. 

Dorsey acknowledged during his combine podium interview that Collins, who will be 30 in October, wasn't the player they needed him to be in 2018, especially considering his $12.5 million average salary.

"There were some inconsistencies,'' he said. "You don't know what leads to it. He may have been nicked. All I know is he's a very talented football player and you can't have enough of those guys on your team." 

By cutting or trading Collins now, the Browns will have $2.5 million in dead cap money and realize a $9.25 million cap savings, which they can put towards unrestricted free agents.

In his 30 starts with the Browns since he was acquired in a trade with New England midway through the 2016 season, Collins has registered 204 tackles, seven sacks, two interceptions, three forced fumbles and one recovery.

4. RFA Rashard Higgins will get tendered, Brian Boddy-Calhoun will not.

Dorsey said he'll tender restricted free agent Rashard Higgins, but fourth-year defensive back Briean Boddy-Calhoun will not be tendered, a league source told cleveland.com.

It means Boddy-Calhoun will be free to sign with any team once the league year opens next week. 

Dorsey wouldn't reveal if he'll give Higgins the first- or second-round tender, which determines what pick a team would have to give the Browns if they sign him.

The first-round tender in 2019 is worth $4.407 million and the second-round tender is worth $3.095 million. Those are the amounts Higgins would receive from the Browns in 2019 unless they decline to match an offer. In that case, they'd receive the corresponding pick.

If Higgins signs the tender, the Browns can still negotiate a multi-year deal with him if they so choose, and he's a favorite target of Baker Mayfield.

Teams must tender their RFAs by March 13 at 4 p.m. 

5. Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham Jr.

Dorsey joked at the NFL Combine about telling Colbert to call him about Brown, and Gettleman to call him about Beckham, but neither of those trades is likely to happen.

Even though Colbert stated at the Combine that he'd trade Brown to anybody, he made it clear that the AFC North teams would have to pay a premium for the seven-time Pro Bowler.

Teams that appear most intrigued by Brown are the Raiders, Broncos and Cardinals, according to NFL Network.

And although Browns receiver Jarvis Landry has openly campaigned for both Brown and his good friend Beckham, the latter is not likely to happen either. 

Gettleman, the Giants' GM, emphatically stated at the combine that he didn't sign Beckham to an extension in August - five years, up to $95 million — to trade him.

So even though Landry and Baker Mayfield would love to have him, and even though Fox Sports' Jay Glazer predicted Beckham will be dealt, it's probably not in the cards for the Browns.

media bomb sheltering is now available BMR7.gif    n5M.gif     thanks for sounding the alarms MKC..Can I speak to JD's personal secretary? thanks!! Yes, I will hold..     

If Duke was traded ....not saying I would want him to be but if he was what could we expect in return ?  3rd rounder and a 7th ?

MKC jumping the gun. Collins? Not exactly Rocket Science insight. I said the same months ago he would ether be restructured, traded or released. 

Duke is going nowhere until the dust settles on the length of Hunt's suspension. Duke could get traded before the trade deadline, assuming Hunt is reinstated before then. 

Yeah, it's all reckless speculation at this point.

I will miss Duke.  He's a real pro.  Kind of a tweener...but a good tweener.   And I don't think we'd get a whole lot in return for him.

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yeah, it's all reckless speculation at this point.

I will miss Duke.  He's a real pro.  Kind of a tweener...but a good tweener.   And I don't think we'd get a whole lot in return for him.

I will miss Duke too, and always wonder why multiple people had such a hard time getting him the ball. Weird. 

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

1. Duke Johnson drawing trade interest

After signing Kareem Hunt on Feb. 11, Dorsey put it out there in a press conference that it doesn't make Johnson expendable "yet.'' That perked up the ears of the some teams in the NFL, who would love to get their hands on the versatile pass-catching back.

At least three NFL teams are currently believed to be interested in trading for Johnson, but more will likely surface if they believe the Browns are serious about it. 

Translation...Were Oh fer three on Duke's value Mary Kay..try to keep selling those magic beans..Duke's extension is back loaded.19=1.8M 20=3.6M 21=4.65M deal carries if traded? who's paying that on 5 targets/gm.?  

Johnson spent much of last season privately frustrated by his lack of touches, but never went public with his beef except to say a few times that he was embracing his primary role as a blocker. Duke's a grown as$ man. This is MKC, 'Privately frustrated' BS journalism

Rosenhaus might want to let the market set the price for the 2015 first-rounder, especially in this thin free agent receiver class. Did Drew just watch what we saw at the combine? just be smart Perriman, dump this turd.. 

^^ Gregg Williams, won't miss this women & he's in the NY media zoo.. 

8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Rosenhaus might want to let the market set the price for the 2015 first-rounder, especially in this thin free agent receiver class. Did Drew just watch what we saw at the combine? just be smart Perriman, dump this turd.. 

^^ Gregg Williams, won't miss this women & he's in the NY media zoo.. 

^^ Just checked- if Drew's talking up Perriman's speed- seven WR prospects broke 4.4 in the 40 at the combine. One of them going to be available in the second round? Book it. 

The Eagles are salivating on a Duke trade. 

He is plug and play for a Sproles replacement/upgrade. 

I'm going to be upset that we never used him correctly when he goes to Philly or Billy B and is a monster.

48 minutes ago, hx214 said:

The Eagles are salivating on a Duke trade. 

He is plug and play for a Sproles replacement/upgrade. 

I'm going to be upset that we never used him correctly when he goes to Philly or Billy B and is a monster.

I think most of us are already upset he isn’t used enough and will be further upset if he’s traded. Did we not learn anything from JG? Who’s to say Hunt has an even semi-decent chance of staying out of trouble even after he’s reinstated? I don’t see why we would trade away solid depth unless another team offered something ridiculous. 

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

MKC jumping the gun. Collins? Not exactly Rocket Science insight. I said the same months ago he would ether be restructured, traded or released. 

Duke is going nowhere until the dust settles on the length of Hunt's suspension. Duke could get traded before the trade deadline, assuming Hunt is reinstated before then. 

Maybe.  Dorsey his high on Hilliard, and nothing says we won't spend a pick on another mid round back.

I don;t like the idea of giving Duke up.. But.. And I hate to say it.. It's probably best for both the team and Duke's future and present interests..... It shall be interesting one way or the other... Sad as it may sound.. the NFL in the end is a business...I harken back to when the NBA basically forced a trade of then Lou Al Cinder / Kareem Abdul-Jabbar from Milwaukee to the Lakers.. Milwaukee just now seems to be recovering from that trade.. Ok I'm exaggerating a bit.. You get the idea...

This is Dorsey’s team  he wants his guys Johnson for a draft pick is gonna happen it’s just a matter of time   Look for Steve Nelson the CB from Kansas City who Dorsey drafted to be in  . BBC will be replaced. 

Some good players being shopped by the Chiefs make them a really interesting trade partner for Duke as well. Williams played solid for them, but Duke could be scary good on that roster. Duke + 3rd for Dee Ford? A lot of somewhat credible mumbling that a "big" move is on the horizon, not just MKC.

As for Collins, I've said all off-season the guy simply isn't worth anything close to that contract. I know we have money available, but I'd be shocked if he stays on at his current deal.

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Some good players being shopped by the Chiefs make them a really interesting trade partner for Duke as well. Williams played solid for them, but Duke could be scary good on that roster. Duke + 3rd for Dee Ford? A lot of somewhat credible mumbling that a "big" move is on the horizon, not just MKC.

As for Collins, I've said all off-season the guy simply isn't worth anything close to that contract. I know we have money available, but I'd be shocked if he stays on at his current deal.

I'd give up Duke and a 3rd all day for Ford.

2 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

With how Dorsey handled the news that the steelers are willing to trade Antonio Brown in the division, I wouldn't be suprised if Duke is a piece that brings him to Cleveland. Dorsey has no problem rolling the dice on problem players and we need a WR

Steelers are asking for a first rounder for AB...and they’re standing firm on that.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:26 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I will miss Duke too, and always wonder why multiple people had such a hard time getting him the ball. Weird. 

Yeah, I always thought he had great potential especially with Mayfield. Maybe they can get a deccent deal for him......I hope.

Archived