THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossi - isms

darren15

He just said for the Browns to make the Super Bowl they have to make the playoffs ...... no shit really ?, he and Mary Kay need to be moved to Pittsburgh 

Earlier on RBS @TonyGrossi said "I think a Super Bowl contender is a team that makes the playoffs." Do you think the Browns are a Super Bowl contender this year?

1 minute ago, darren15 said:

He just said for the Browns to make the Super Bowl they have to make the playoffs ...... no shit really ?, he and Mary Kay need to be moved to Pittsburgh 

No, I heard what he said.    He was asked "when will the Browns become Super Bowl contenders".

He said, that before they are Super Bowl contenders, they must be playoff contenders, and they must be contenders to win the division, and then he said that he believes that they are going to be contenders to be in the playoffs and win the division this year....thus they could be Super Bowl contenders this year. 

I think your personal prejudice against him got in the way of your accuracy in reporting his comments. 

24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No, I heard what he said.    He was asked "when will the Browns become Super Bowl contenders".

He said, that before they are Super Bowl contenders, they must be playoff contenders, and they must be contenders to win the division, and then he said that he believes that they are going to be contenders to be in the playoffs and win the division this year....thus they could be Super Bowl contenders this year. 

I think your personal prejudice against him got in the way of your accuracy in reporting his comments. 

I am just glad he does not get a say and that 90% of his comments are negative, he and Cabot must be closet Steeler fans .... Browns winning some games last year sure put a dent in both Grossi and Cabot's output

59n8r9h2ztb21.jpg

19 minutes ago, darren15 said:

I am just glad he does not get a say and that 90% of his comments are negative, he and Cabot must be closet Steeler fans .... Browns winning some games last year sure put a dent in both Grossi and Cabot's output

But Grossi did admit on Red Zone he was wrong about Baker. Where would we be if Mary Kay's fawning over busted knee Jimmy G had come to pass?

If you ever read the comments on cleveland.com, there's still plenty of Negative Nancy's out there sucking up their spew. Why they still have jobs.

3 hours ago, darren15 said:

59n8r9h2ztb21.jpg

Probably well over 50% of all writers, pundits, dratniks, etc. thought Mayfield may not even be a first rounder.  At least that many of us here were skeptical about that choice....so I don't blame anyone for questioning things of this nature.  After all....a lot said that they thought he may be JFFII.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Probably well over 50% of all writers, pundits, dratniks, etc. thought Mayfield may not even be a first rounder.  At least that many of us here were skeptical about that choice....so I don't blame anyone for questioning things of this nature.  After all....a lot said that they thought he may be JFFII.

Idk about over 50% thinking not a first rounder. 

Right before he was selected, Kirk Herbstreit was basically showing Baker highlights.

It was a surprise, yes, credit that to John Dorsey. He knew who the best QB was and he didn’t leak a drop.

It always cracks me up when I hear Browns fans bitch about how negative the local sportswriters have been over the years concerning the Browns. 

This team was a dumpster fire for nearly 20 years. I'm more suspicious when someone can watch that crap and come out being like Nathan Zegura.  

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It always cracks me up when I hear Browns fans bitch about how negative the local sportswriters have been over the years concerning the Browns. 

This team was a dumpster fire for nearly 20 years.

The most important word written above is "was."   Here's the thing on media negativity that's been clarified countless times over the years.  When this franchise is in the process of only 2 winning seasons since 1994 featuring 1-31 football as recently as 2016 and 2017 - it's a pretty easy time to be negative by the media and fan base.  I don't recall anyone announcing the media is completely wrong for writing articles that our loyal fan base deserves better.

When this franchise improved from 0-16 to 7-8-1 from FO decisions in 2018 - it's not an ideal time for sportswriters to act like we're still spending 1st round picks on Johnny Manziel, Corey Coleman, Bark Mingo, Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden (all the while missing way better choices for us); and bringing in FAs like Dwayne Bowe and Kenny Britt.  It's more of a time to celebrate draft picks like Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward, and other young guys showcasing big play abilities.  It's also an appropriate time to reflect on FA/Trade acquisitions playing some of the best football of their careers such as:  Damarious Randall, Terrance Mitchell, Greg Robinson, and Breshad Perriman.  That's exactly what Nathan Zegura specified on the radio in reply to the timing of Wickershams's article when there's been so many more appropriate times to question the direction of this franchise/owner.  He said things aren't being done like they were done by Banner, Lombardi, Farmer and Sashi (on a rookie NFL Exec learning curve).  They're being done closer to the way things were done in KC right? 

All that being the case, there's some exciting things building and momentum to capitalize on especially in terms of recruiting veteran help/interest via trade/FA.  Understanding this, if agents and players STILL SEE a type of media chomping at the bits to turn on players and not give a new regime a chance - they'll probably think no wonder why people have been saying you don't want any part of Cleveland. Eddie DeBartolo had the exact same problem all the way until he didn't.  He was firing people right and left until he landed the perfect guys the top top (even if by accident) who got him the QB, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lot, and the nucleus of a dynasty.  Once he got the right people in charge with the right QB - guess where all the rock star FAs wanted to go to get their SB rings?  

I didn't read Wickersham's article as though he wanted Cleveland fans to trust Jimmy has learned a thing. Popular opinion in that thread disagreed with me.  I read it the same way I read his article about the turbulent relationships of Brady, Belichick and Kraft the off season after NE beat Atlanta in the SB threatening their ability to return to the SB.  They made 2 consecutive SBs since then.  Pluto remains my favorite sportswriter in Cleveland because I don't see the axe to grind agenda or any other self-serving agenda beyond the truth.  When we deserve better, he tells it like it is.  When he sees progress, he's not telling us to go buy our SB tickets. He's pointing out where he sees it and where he sees opportunities we can improve on that Mary Kay and some others remain incapable of.  IMO, Cleveland sports media can have a profound impact on the recruiting attraction of veteran players during the off season for better or worse.   Again, why not get away from the "was" and giddy up and get after the excitement of "today for tomorrow?"  It's okay to be sick of the negativity when it's so much less warranted today. 

37 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The most important word written above is "was."   Here's the thing on media negativity that's been clarified countless times over the years.  When this franchise is in the process of only 2 winning seasons since 1994 featuring 1-31 football as recently as 2016 and 2017 - it's a pretty easy time to be negative by the media and fan base.  I don't recall anyone announcing the media is completely wrong for writing articles that our loyal fan base deserves better.

When this franchise improved from 0-16 to 7-8-1 from FO decisions in 2018 - it's not an ideal time for sportswriters to act like we're still spending 1st round picks on Johnny Manziel, Corey Coleman, Bark Mingo, Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden (all the while missing way better choices for us); and bringing in FAs like Dwayne Bowe and Kenny Britt.  It's more of a time to celebrate draft picks like Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward, and other young guys showcasing big play abilities.  It's also an appropriate time to reflect on FA/Trade acquisitions playing some of the best football of their careers such as:  Damarious Randall, Terrance Mitchell, Greg Robinson, and Breshad Perriman.  That's exactly what Nathan Zegura specified on the radio in reply to the timing of Wickershams's article when there's been so many more appropriate times to question the direction of this franchise/owner.  He said things aren't being done like they were done by Banner, Lombardi, Farmer and Sashi (on a rookie NFL Exec learning curve).  They're being done closer to the way things were done in KC right? 

All that being the case, there's some exciting things building and momentum to capitalize on especially in terms of recruiting veteran help/interest via trade/FA.  Understanding this, if agents and players STILL SEE a type of media chomping at the bits to turn on players and not give a new regime a chance - they'll probably think no wonder why people have been saying you don't want any part of Cleveland. Eddie DeBartolo had the exact same problem all the way until he didn't.  He was firing people right and left until he landed the perfect guys the top top (even if by accident) who got him the QB, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lot, and the nucleus of a dynasty.  Once he got the right people in charge with the right QB - guess where all the rock star FAs wanted to go to get their SB rings?  

I didn't read Wickersham's article as though he wanted Cleveland fans to trust Jimmy has learned a thing. Popular opinion in that thread disagreed with me.  I read it the same way I read his article about the turbulent relationships of Brady, Belichick and Kraft the off season after NE beat Atlanta in the SB threatening their ability to return to the SB.  They made 2 consecutive SBs since then.  Pluto remains my favorite sportswriter in Cleveland because I don't see the axe to grind agenda or any other self-serving agenda beyond the truth.  When we deserve better, he tells it like it is.  When he sees progress, he's not telling us to go buy our SB tickets. He's pointing out where he sees it and where he sees opportunities we can improve on that Mary Kay and some others remain incapable of.  IMO, Cleveland sports media can have a profound impact on the recruiting attraction of veteran players during the off season for better or worse.   Again, why not get away from the "was" and giddy up and get after the excitement of "today for tomorrow?"  It's okay to be sick of the negativity when it's so much less warranted today. 

Tom, this may be or IS your best post ever (IMHO) . You hit the nail on the head my friend.....It is indeed time to move forward.

Mike

Players didn't want anything to do with coming to the Browns because what Wickersham wrote was well-known in NFL circles. That's why players and coaches steered clear of here, not because reporters in town reported those facts. 

If you think the Cleveland media can hold a candle to the media in Philly, Boston, New York in terms of being "tough" you are sadly mistaken. They are cream puffs in comparison. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Players didn't want anything to do with coming to the Browns because what Wickersham wrote was well-known in NFL circles. That's why players and coaches steered clear of here, not because reporters in town reported those facts. 

If you think the Cleveland media can hold a candle to the media in Philly, Boston, New York in terms of being "tough" you are sadly mistaken. They are cream puffs in comparison. 

The Cleveland media and others are just laid back easy going Midwestern folk.

.......but then again the East Coasters think anything west of Philly is in the sticks, kind of like Mayberry RFD.

sources say find a new source.and know your personals info before hitting print. How can a insider at the combine 'in the room' miss a Jamie Collins meeting with agents  by a complete day? try being right, not reporting first..

22 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Also I think that anybody that makes it to the playoffs is a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Maybe Wild Card teams are long shots but it happens. Especially in the NFL where games are often decided by one or two scores or one or two bad calls.

WSS

Good point Steve!  Just off the top of my head, Aron Rodgers' Packers were a wild card team that beat Pittsburgh in the SB; and Pittsburgh was a wild card team that beat Seattle in the SB.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, hoorta said:

But Grossi did admit on Red Zone he was wrong about Baker. Where would we be if Mary Kay's fawning over busted knee Jimmy G had come to pass?

If you ever read the comments on cleveland.com, there's still plenty of Negative Nancy's out there sucking up their spew. Why they still have jobs.

Did he have any choice Larry?  That doesn't change his reputation for being a shit starter. One of my favorite things Gregg Williams did was put a very overconfident Grossi in his place in his very first presser.

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Let's tackle each large market you carefully selected:

Philly seats 65,000 Ghoolies every home game and they're 5 Superbowl Championship Victories behind the NFL Team in Western PA but they have quite the barometer.

As a resident of NY State the first 30 years of my life - the Giants have won 4 Superbowls (2 under Parcels and 2 over NE under Coughlin) so their expectation was to WIN the SB while Buffalo's smaller market expectation was to MAKE the SB (which they did 4 consecutive times).

NE has 6 SB Championships today and a way higher expectation than they had in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

None of that gives me a reason to suddenly respect Mary Kay Cabot and Tony Grossi today.  That said, I've always respected the work of Pluto and I still do.  If you can't tell the difference why - it's because you don't want to. 

15 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Did he have any choice Larry?  That doesn't change his reputation for being a shit starter. One of my favorite things Gregg Williams did was put a very overconfident Grossi in his place in his very first presser.

I've always kind of enjoyed listening to Tony Grossi even in the old days when he was doing the Doom and Gloom show with Les Levine, but the guy really doesn't know anything more about football than quite a few of the guys here on this board and probably doesn't write as well as some of them. I suppose his claim to fame is that in his position he has access to talking to a lot of the Insiders members and front-office people have the Cleveland Browns organization. That again I remember his reports, that he got from somebody, during the Johnny era when he would report how well things were going how hard Johnny was working at cetera Etc. Somebody was blowing smoke up his ass and when you have to fill a daily column how about the Cleveland Browns you pretty much have to write what you have.

WSS

People are bitching about Grossi being negative? This team was soo bad that fans held a parade for going 0-16. I would be negative as fuck too if I was forced to watch that trash for a living, at least with the casual fan you can it turn off. I can't phantom enduring all the blown drafts, terrible WR signings, incompetent F/Os, idiotic owners he's had write about. Would it have made people feel better if he wrote puff pieces about a 1-15 team and that it was all sunshine and rainbows for Deshone Kizer

32 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Would it have made people feel better if he wrote puff pieces about a 1-15 team and that it was all sunshine and rainbows for Deshone Kizer

For many Browns fans, yes.

It's why a hack like Nathan Zegura has a job. We know posters on here who probably love his mindless, homer drivel.  

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's why a hack like Nathan Zegura has a job. We know posters on here who probably love his mindless, homer drivel.  

Why the hell not?

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

Or you can sit around and bitch and moan, how much fun is that? 31 teams aren't going to win the Superbowl.

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Why the hell not?

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

Or you can sit around and bitch and moan, how much fun is that? 31 teams aren't going to win the Superbowl.

WSS

Some people don't mind being pissed on and told it's rain, I guess. 

21 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I felt bad for him at times during the 1-31 run. He has to know his cring inducing takes but what can he do? He work directly for the Browns.

6 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Project Runway is on Bravo.

But that will work for anybody who is too angry to watch the Browns.

WSS

Project Runway is now back on Bravo....after a long run on Lifetime.

But now, Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn are no longer a part of the show. They gave it up after many years.

I have no idea why so many of you love to hate Grossi. He simply reports what he sees and knows, and gives his opinion. On Baker Mayfield...how many of you can honestly say you wanted him as the first pick in the draft? I said HONESTLY. It sure as Hell wasn't me. I wanted Darnold. Thank God I'm not the GM. I've been listening to Grossi since the 80's....he may be wrong on his predictions, and choices of players, at times, but who isn't?  He criticizes when the team sucks. So do I. I don't see anything wrong with that. I've never seen him as being overly negative. He admits when he's wrong. A lot of you say he's too negative. It seems to me, now that the team shows it's becoming competitive, after 20 years of crap, Grossi is becoming a little too optimistic, if anything. 

21 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Project Runway is on Bravo.

But that will work for anybody who is too angry to watch the Browns.

WSS

I thought Project Runway was about the Browns getting run-over during all those bad years. I guess I should have tuned in.😜

Archived