Jump to content
The Gipper

The Streets of Tombstone

Recommended Posts

Believe it or not....I got into a duel on the streets of Tombstone Arizona just this past week.  (about football)

So, I am walking down the streets of Tombstone about a week ago,  metaphorically  jangling my spurs, and wearing my Browns cap.....when behind me I hear this guy behind me say  "Hey, you, buddy I am calling you out".   

So, I turn around, and I see actually 2 guys.  There is a big guy with cowboy boots on, and  a Harley-Davidson bandana around his head, obviously drunk because we were right in front of Big Nose Kate's, and  a little guy with a Chicago Bears sweatshirt on.  They had clearly just sauntered out of the swinging doors to that saloon when they saw me in my cap.  

Mr. Harley says to me:  "My Chicago Bears have more championships than your Browns do".   And I says,  "yes, I know in fact that they do, no argument".

And he says "They got 9 NFL Championships, and a Super Bowl".  And I say, "they got 9 Championships, but that includes their one Super Bowl win".  He says  "no, no, no, no, no.  They got 10 total including one Super Bowl".  And I said, " no, they got 8 with one Super Bowl, total of 9".  He says  "You're going down!  I got 1000 dollars that says they got 10 titles".   He opens up his wallet, and indeed he had at least  $1000 in hundreds in there, if not quite a bit more.  

I said, "well,   I'm your Huckleberry.  I should take that bet, but I don't want to take all your money,  so if I win, you can buy me a drink here in Big Nose Kates, and if I lose I will buy you a drink".  He says, "Oh no, 1000 bucks"...I said, I am almost certain I am right, but just on the off chance I could be wrong, I could not afford to lose that bet".  

Well, he never even shook on the drink....but just drunkenly kept rattling on about the Bears 10 titles.  So I said, let's prove it...so I got my phone out, and googled the Chicago Bears titles.   And, of course, right there it was:

Chicago Bears 8 9 1921, 1932, 1933, 1940, 1941, 1943, 1946, 1963

  Super Bowl victory   1986

8 pre Super Bowl titles,  1 Super Bowl   9 total

So, I said "there it is, just like I said"   9 titles, not 10.

So, what does he do?  Big tough guy with Harley clothes and cowboy boots?   

He turns around and walks back into the bar without saying a word.....and naturally he doesn't give me the 1K....nor even buy me the drink.

I mean, the guy was a daisy. He walked off with his tail between his legs.

 

And that is how I won  a Shootout on the streets of Tombstone, Arizona

And this is absolutely a true story.

  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great story...I love stuff like that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad it wasn't the Streets of Laredo. Marty would have approved.🏆

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."🤠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammit Gip, you let me down. I was so sure you were going to come back with NE Ohio having more than the Bears. Did you at least call him a pussy when he walked away???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Comeonman said:

Dammit Gip, you let me down. I was so sure you were going to come back with NE Ohio having more than the Bears. Did you at least call him a pussy when he walked away???

I did sort of go there.  He mentioned that the Packers had more than the Bears...which we agreed,  and said to him that Chicago also had 2 other titles by the Cardinals when we were there,  but he was not really in a condition to have any sort of nuanced conversation. 

But no, I didn't call him anything, no need.  I was headed for the OK Corral at that point anyway for the shootout recreation.   Even if he had offered me the drink I would not have had time to take it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Too bad it wasn't the Streets of Laredo. Marty would have approved.🏆

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."🤠

Marty Robbins did "El Paso".    I don't know if he also did the Streets of Laredo.

The version of that song that I am most familiar with is Johnny Cash's version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I did sort of go there.  He mentioned that the Packers had more than the Bears...which we agreed,  and said to him that Chicago also had 2 other titles by the Cardinals when we were there,  but he was not really in a condition to have any sort of nuanced conversation. 

But no, I didn't call him anything, no need.  I was headed for the OK Corral at that point anyway for the shootout recreation.   Even if he had offered me the drink I would not have had time to take it anyway.

Nice. And one of the perks of being a sports board trivia junkie. 

........but the $1k would have been some nice vacation money.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Marty Robbins did "El Paso".    I don't know if he also did the Streets of Laredo.

The version of that song that I am most familiar with is Johnny Cash's version.

Yep-he did. And he and Johnny Cash did it together once on TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 12:12 PM, The Gipper said:

  

So, I turn around, and I see actually 2 guys.  There is a big guy with cowboy boots on, and  a Harley-Davidson bandana around his head, and  a little guy with a Chicago Bears sweatshirt on. 

       

7pBw.gif     Turn gumby loose where the streets have no name & Harley & Henry walk away with a Baker McMan-ass white Mayfield bandana HIj8.gif    carry participation trophies gip..well done👍   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Nice. And one of the perks of being a sports board trivia junkie. 

........but the $1k would have been some nice vacation money.  ;)

Yea, but I knew at the top I would never see any of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Too bad it wasn't the Streets of Laredo. Marty would have approved.🏆

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."🤠

I'd say a 'Rhinestone Cowboy'.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 2:08 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Too bad it wasn't the Streets of Laredo. Marty would have approved.🏆

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."🤠

There's a freaking Laredo in America? You guys should have names of your own, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nero said:

There's a freaking Laredo in America? You guys should have names of your own, lol. 

Well it is right on the border with Mexico right here in Texas. Hey we even have a Paris, Texas and a Riviera, Texas. But don't worry there is also a London, Ohio. LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nero said:

There's a freaking Laredo in America? You guys should have names of your own, lol. 

Lots of American cities have names that come from European cities.  The names of Boston, (New) York,  Cleveland (New)Orleans, from England and France.

If you Spaniards had not been so gold thirsty so as to exploit the new world, we would not have all these Spanish named cities:  Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Antonio, and yes, Toledo....and don't forget: Columbus. And don't forget you gave us state names like Florida, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, California, Arizona (I think)..and maybe Nevada.

But certainly we do have plenty of "our own"...if by our own you mean native American names.  Half of our states have NA names, including Ohio, Illinois, Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew there were many cities named after other Spanish cities, but I didn't expect a Laredo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nero said:

I knew there were many cities named after other Spanish cities, but I didn't expect a Laredo.

I didn't know there was a town in Spain called Laredo.  Toledo, yes, but not Laredo.  Where is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I didn't know there was a town in Spain called Laredo.  Toledo, yes, but not Laredo.  Where is it?

It is in the Northern coast, in Cantabria. It's not so big IIRC, that is why I found it amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×