THE BROWNS BOARD

Old Browns Football question

golf0982

Have a question for you guys. Found this old football in storage. Was from some of my dads stuff when he was a kid. My guess is the 60's or 70s. I dont know much about it. It appears to have a bunch on old famous browns players names on it. They dont seem to be real signatures but something you would have bought in the store back then. I was wondering if anyone could help me shed some light on it.

Thanks,

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

This kind of looks like the old Wilson Duke ball. Autographed from the 1960s might be worth something to a collector.

For reference see:

Screenshot_2019-02-27-17-32-54.png

Screenshot_2019-02-27-17-40-19.png

For an idea on repair or conditioning for a true collectable I'd contact the football source:

Screenshot_2019-02-27-17-50-11.png

Try contacting Wilson in Ada, OH see what they have to say maybe send them pictures of your football.....might save you some time.

Screenshot_2019-02-27-18-07-28.png

Just now, golf0982 said:

I know they are not "real" ones. They seem like something you would have bought this way back in the day.

Yes but you can try and see the "as is" value and if it's worth repairing to get a retail value.

You can go to a memorabilla store but they might just give you $5 or $10 bucks for it if that.

Kind of like Antiques Roadshow BROWNS Edition.

One thing I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt. The signed football is definitely not "THE DUKE" . It's a pre-stamped souvenier ball. Sorry, but I doubt that you could get 1 buck for it.

Mike  

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

One thing I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt. The signed football is definitely not "THE DUKE" . It's a pre-stamped souvenier ball. Sorry, but I doubt that you could get 1 buck for it.

Mike  

I'll give him $15.

Z

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

One thing I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt. The signed football is definitely not "THE DUKE" . It's a pre-stamped souvenir ball. Sorry, but I doubt that you could get 1 buck for it.

Mike  

:) One piece of Browns memorabilia I've seen that I do know is "authentic". My pal inherited it from his Dad (won in a contest). A 1950 football signed by everyone on the team- and the coaches...  The bidding will start at....  (it's not for sale)

16 hours ago, golf0982 said:

Have a question for you guys. Found this old football in storage. Was from some of my dads stuff when he was a kid. My guess is the 60's or 70s. I dont know much about it. It appears to have a bunch on old famous browns players names on it. They dont seem to be real signatures but something you would have bought in the store back then. I was wondering if anyone could help me shed some light on it.

Thanks,

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Tough to make out a lot of these signatures.  Jim Houston, Ron Johnson,  Chip Glass, I think I see Paul Warfield.    Howard Brinker, I think was a coach.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:45 PM, golf0982 said:

I wasnt sure if it would be worth anything or not because it doesn't hold air anymore and some of the leather as cracked from being deflated so long.

Just thinking again on this, if you want this as a keepsake a football bladder can be replaced......might have to be careful to save the original laces.

Looks like it had some "backyard activity" from the general condition.

Archived