THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg Robinson to sign one-year deal

darren15

40 minutes ago, darren15 said:

To be confirmed today apparently

A one year "prove it" deal before we lock him into a long term contract.  We'll see if the Browns draft an OT in April as a backup plan... 

5 minutes ago, hoorta said:

A one year "prove it" deal before we lock him into a long term contract.  We'll see if the Browns draft an OT in April as a backup plan... 

I'm sure we will draft an OT in the draft, but dont forget about Harrison. He made a ton of mental errors last year but if he can fix that he is talented enough to be an elite LT.

I like Greg. I hope he continues to crush it this year.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

I wish we could have got a club option on another year or two. With a one year deal if he crushes it its no lock we get him for a long term contract. He will be highly sought after. 

5 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I wish we could have got a club option on another year or two. With a one year deal if he crushes it its no lock we get him for a long term contract. He will be highly sought after. 

Another case of betting on ones self, maybe

2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I agree but, given his history, we needed to have a longer sample before locking him up long term. Besides, they are very impressed with Harrison's potential & it will be interesting to see how he develops under Campen's coaching. Time will tell but I'm still trusting Dorsey. I think they'll draft an OT but it will be a few rounds in.

Mike

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

I like Greg. I hope he continues to crush it this year.

He played very well and I like him a lot too. My gut said after the season was over to sign him to a three or four year deal, knowing they would probably not. I think he will continue to play well and will require a much larger contract when he does ‘prove it’. I’ve been wrong before though...

36 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I agree but, given his history, we needed to have a longer sample before locking him up long term. Besides, they are very impressed with Harrison's potential & it will be interesting to see how he develops under Campen's coaching. Time will tell but I'm still trusting Dorsey. I think they'll draft an OT but it will be a few rounds in.

Mike

I sure hope it’s a few rounds in. If we draft an OT in the first three I think I’d be pretty upset. Hubbard though...

43 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

I sure hope it’s a few rounds in. If we draft an OT in the first three I think I’d be pretty upset. Hubbard though...

He's inconsistent and getting a bit long in the tooth.. I would hope hes replaced at some point...

am in the " i think we all* need to take a 2nd look" crowd..The best Robinson could be, is the one betting on himself.than "pay the man". Robinson seems happier here playing with the former misfits of the league..Guess what? that crap don't live here no more..go play lights out Greg.. BTw-- late in season Dorsey did go sign the backup T to Conklin & Lewan in Tenn..Brad Seaton off TB squad. Also T Kyle Friend & C David Bright..Harrison has a no better guy to learn from than the Greg Robinson early career starts..He's got to get off the holding refs tagged list..I could see Harrison fighting with Hubbard for RT at camp👀.. 

11 hours ago, jcam222 said:

True, but it is a good deal for all involved.  We still have the ability to sign him next year if we desire and he gets what I would assume is a pretty decent yearly salary.  You also have to factor that the guy said he wants to stay here.  We are a team on the rise.  

28 minutes ago, Orion said:

He got more money than I thought he would.  

7M base with 2M game incentives..that's a good deal if you can look at the rest of the starting LT market..2M should incent 🥊anybody to stay on the field 16 weeks    

On 2/25/2019 at 4:12 PM, Louisville Slugger said:

He made a ton of mental errors last year but if he can fix that he is talented enough

Similarly..

If Gordon could stop smoking a ton of weed, he'd be a great WR!

If Spergon Wynn could learn to be accurate, he's got the arm strength to be a great QB!

Yes, errors decreased from weeks 1&2, but Robinson was signed because the errors didn't decrease to a level that earns playing time.  Hubbard is at his best the definition of the league median tackle, so RT is a position they'd look to improve this draft.  I'd say Robinson is the only actual tackle they have on the roster right now..

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, Orion said:

He got more money than I thought he would.  I'm sure Baker is happy that he's signed.

When I heard it was a one year deal, I figured it would be in that range.

It's a show me deal....starter money for one year, or a bridge to a drafted LT.

I am starting to think we draft a LT.  Maybe a  RT.  In this new era of the spread in pro football, QB,s are on the move...maybe you want the best blocker in front of them and don't care about the blind side as much.

QB's these days aren't these big gawky, stiff legged guys standing back there waiting to be hammered.  Take the snap and throw or roll.

13 hours ago, ballpeen said:

QB's these days aren't these big gawky, stiff legged guys standing back there waiting to be hammered.  Take the snap and throw or roll.

You're right.

As Joe Banner said, today's game is pass and rush the passer.  So with defenses hell bent on rushing the passer you DO have to get rid of it or get out of the pocket and apply the pressure to the coverage guys.   I think Baker has a pretty good internal clock.  -  Ya know who else had a good internal clock?  Manziel.  He would drop back, take a look around, and get the hell out-a-there.  Our coaches, of course, wanted him to stay in the pocket and get 'hammered'.   (that's about the only good thing I can say about Billy Manziel)

....and in hindsight, I should've expected that kind of money (and maybe more) for Robinson.  LT is still an important spot.  If you've got a swinging gate over there then the right handed QB is going to get nailed...especially if he takes the snap from under center.  From the shotgun obviously he's got a better view.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:35 AM, ballpeen said:

True, but it is a good deal for all involved.  We still have the ability to sign him next year if we desire and he gets what I would assume is a pretty decent yearly salary.  You also have to factor that the guy said he wants to stay here.  We are a team on the rise.  

I actually love this signing! For me, I adore a comeback story. This guy didn't play anywhere up to his draft status, but nobody could figure out why because the physical tools were there, and the guy was far from any type of cancer. I read a recent article about this news, and a quote that stuck out to me was an unnamed NFL coach said Greg Robinson isn't a guy who you yell and scream at, that will cause him to go into his shell. You build upon his strengths and coach him differently, and I think we saw those results. 

Now, this isn't to say that Robinson played like a Hall of Famer, far from it. In fact, if you look at some data and rankings information, you'll see that Robinson wasn't anywhere near the top of the class, and he was very much "middle tier"...ESPECIALLY when you factor in the penalties. Greg would hold even when he didn't have to, and he started to get a reputation, so he got targeted more and more. I remember a Bengals game (I think) where our first play was a screen to Chubb that went for about 20 yards. Robinson had such a grip on his guy that the defender chopped at Greg's hands twice before Greg finally let him go. This somehow wasn't called, but Greg didn't even need to DO IT. 

If he can get the penalties under control, he will be a nice signing for us. I remember after his first start Baker Mayfield specifically named him as someone who played well. That almost seemed to balloon his confidence and the OL as a whole really came together. I think our offensive playcalling after Kitchens took over had a ton to do with it, but there's no question everyone still played better. Greg gets to protect Baker Mayfield for another year, and Greg made no secret about loving Cleveland and feeling like he finally belongs. 

The one thing that surprised me was our other reclamation project, Breshad Perriman. He was a terrific story and someone who was cut by the Ravens and then the Redskins before coming to us. Hardly anybody expected much from him, and while he didn't "blow up" or anything, he was crucial for us in a couple of games. I'm guessing he received some bad agent advice because he turned down Dorsey's offer. John Dorsey was reportedly pretty unhappy about this, and Perriman will test free agency. I'd be VERY shocked if he came back because I guarantee you the offer won't be as good if he comes crawling back. 

QB's these days aren't these big gawky, stiff legged guys standing back there waiting to be hammered.  Take the snap and throw or roll.

Well, I still think that the drop back passer continue to have more success.  There is Brady obviously, and the likes of Rivers/BR and others. 

Not saying that they don't have some mobility....but the Lamar Jackson types certainly have not taken over the league.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, jiggins7919 said:

The one thing that surprised me was our other reclamation project, Breshad Perriman. He was a terrific story and someone who was cut by the Ravens and then the Redskins before coming to us. Hardly anybody expected much from him, and while he didn't "blow up" or anything, he was crucial for us in a couple of games. I'm guessing he received some bad agent advice because he turned down Dorsey's offer. John Dorsey was reportedly pretty unhappy about this, and Perriman will test free agency. I'd be VERY shocked if he came back because I guarantee you the offer won't be as good if he comes crawling back. 

I know Perriman in a Robinson thread is OT, but I have to respond. 

Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

Interesting you bring up Pryor. After Cleveland CPR'd his dead career - Rosenhaus went and re-buried it.  Is that what he wants to do to Perriman now?   That's too bad... 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well....he screwed over Pryor from what I can see.   Why can't the players in this league see that?

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....he screwed over Pryor from what I can see.   Why can't the players in this league see that?

You would think Gipper...  Maybe it's coming to pass that Rosenhaus is falling out of favor with athletes (incidentally, Drew also represents Antonio Brown) I did a bit of research, and to my suprise, Rosenhaus isn't the biggest agency out there, not even close... #15. Creative Artists is far and away the biggest (Tom Condon their main sports guy), Followed by #2 Scott Boras, and it's debatable who's the bigger ass, Scott or Drew.  

https://www.managerskills.org/sports/top-sports-talent-agencies/

On 3/4/2019 at 6:32 PM, hoorta said:

You would think Gipper...  Maybe it's coming to pass that Rosenhaus is falling out of favor with athletes (incidentally, Drew also represents Antonio Brown) I did a bit of research, and to my suprise, Rosenhaus isn't the biggest agency out there, not even close... #15. Creative Artists is far and away the biggest (Tom Condon their main sports guy), Followed by #2 Scott Boras, and it's debatable who's the bigger ass, Scott or Drew.  

https://www.managerskills.org/sports/top-sports-talent-agencies/

Good stuff - thanks for sharing that Larry!

Drew Rosenhaus is a scum bag NFL teams need to avoid.  Where does Antonio Brown's salary rank among NFL WRs today/all time?   What's the FREAKIN problem?  He just wants "to play for a winner?"  Really?   Outside of NE, has any AFC team frequented the playoffs more than Pittsburgh?  Just out of curiosity, how many serious SB Contenders have the cap space available for the highest paid non-QB on the offensive side of the ball?

As we discussed, he was also Pryor's agent that did all he could to lead him away from the ONLY NFL team that CPR'd his NFL career. Now Pryor is just as MIA as Rosenhaus' other former Cleveland WR Potsy Gordon.  Not to be outdone, after Perriman finally found his first and only NFL niche - guess who can't wait to take his client elsewhere?  If he had a different agent, I think our FO would have made the effort to secure him longer term but I could be wrong on that.

Archived