THE BROWNS BOARD

Anybody seen tape of this dk metcalf kid?

Clevfan4life

He is reported to have 1.6% body fat. IF this is accurate, it is unhealthy & a huge concern. He would be more prone to injury & infection. Even if slightly higher, I would be leary of drafting ANY player under 5%, no matter how much I liked him.

Mike

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/19/2019 at 4:29 PM, MLD Woody said:

dude is massive

Uhhhhh. David Boston called, he'd like his muscles back. Good grief that's a WR? 

14 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

He is reported to have 1.6% body fat. IF this is accurate, it is unhealthy & a huge concern. He would be more prone to injury & infection. Even if slightly higher, I would be leary of drafting ANY player under 5%, no matter how much I liked him.

Mike

bingo..i can hear my old med training staff Tino with "this guy is going to be a medical staff nightmare"..with only 1.6 body fat on him, his joints should fall out in about 4 months of football contact drills..As expected, watch the board movements after today's drills..but imo, This Defensive Class will still knock many to 2nd round..JD should have a deal in place to move up in 2nd & 3rd..firm pass on Metcalf at #17   

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

bingo..i can hear my old med training staff Tino with "this guy is going to be a medical staff nightmare"..with only 1.6 body fat on him, his joints should fall out in about 4 months of football contact drills..As expected, watch the board movements after today's drills..but imo, This Defensive Class will still knock many to 2nd round..JD should have a deal in place to move up in 2nd & 3rd..firm pass on Metcalf at #17   

At 1.6% BF I would think even his essential fat in organs is lacking and dangerous. I am sorry but there is simply no way any human gets to 1.8% BF without heavily depending on substances to achieve it. I originally thought this number was reported wrong but it sure is out there everywhere. 

23 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Those are valid concerns indeed Mike.  Fat is also very important in areas of digestion (such as fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E, K): and when the body senses it's missing fat - it starts to make it's own fat.  Monkey wrench to that?  Steroids.

Looking at all the lean mass he's packed on just this off season - I gotta wonder if his urine will be clean.  Prior to this, the biggest concerns about him stemmed from a neck injury he had.

I remember David Boston's performance declined significantly when he gained weight putting on a lot of lean mass while losing fat. That said, I think he was also getting up there in age to the extent he felt he produced long enough to be okay with preferring his body building goals to more NFL wear an tear. 

Not buying the hype yet..Truly, Metcalf has all the tools of a true freak athlete. Maybe a body kicker too, but as a football fan, these are guys you pay to see. As most GM's, they stick to the gametapes & not highlight reels nor guys in shorts..I took over a hour to check back what i saw(LSU/Bama) & really, let the draft crab-shoot begin..As a Feature Outside WR, Metcalf will more likely see #1 CB's..Beside his injuries, there's only a few games, DK played each season against NFL level corners..Those CB's made Metcalf look average & his stats match his competition..Clearly, AJ Brown was the better route runner at Old Miss of the two from the tape. So DK got CB2's in a lot of reps.  yes, teams can stick DK outside & run AJ Green go routes from day one. Metcalf seems to fight well for 50/50 balls early* not so much late..So i put DK in the log jam of guys that may fall to #17?..Am really ready to watch some Defense talent Sunday/Monday 💪..Go Browns!!        

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Those are valid concerns indeed Mike.  Fat is also very important in areas of digestion (such as fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E, K): and when the body senses it's missing fat - it starts to make it's own fat.  Monkey wrench to that?  Steroids.

Looking at all the lean mass he's packed on just this off season - I gotta wonder if his urine will be clean.  Prior to this, the biggest concerns about him stemmed from a neck injury he had.

I remember David Boston's performance declined significantly when he gained weight putting on a lot of lean mass while losing fat. That said, I think he was also getting up there in age to the extent he felt he produced long enough to be okay with preferring his body building goals to more NFL wear an tear. 

Agree. To get that lean is typically something bodybuilders do. Even they only maintain that for very short periods for competition. To get to that level of leanness the last month or so out involves usually lasix, T3/T4 (thyroid meds) and stimulants perhaps like clenbuterol. That said you would then expect if an athlete did all that to achieve that leavel of lean his athletic performance should suffer greatly. This dudes cranking out like a 4.33 40 and putting up 27 reps on the bench like a tackle!! Hell maybe he is an alien LOL

Freak athlete for sure.   Catches the ball clean as well in all the drills.   I heard someone on the broadcast mention a neck issue that he has or had last season.   But I think he ran himself into the top 10 of the first round today.

His nfl.com profile is fun.

"Breaks and stems aren't as sharp as they should be" -- Ya think?

"Needs better positioning of his big frame to block out defenders on comebacks" - Just what we need, a "big body" who can't use it.

Another problem with picking this kid is missing out on guys who will be better contributors than him.  I'd rather have a good DT who affects every play..

On 3/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Yeah- doing a little research- you're right.  I thought some of those Kenyan human skeleton distance runners were that low in body fat- but they usually aren't.  

7 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

there will have to be video evidence of this...here's the gold standard...

now that's a clean ass c-walk

White people c walking is like Bigfoot.  Can't photograph it because we have to keep the legend going for the kids... 

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Oliver is the second coming of Mingo.  For once, let somebody else waste a first-round pick on a guy with "measurables".

Ed Oliver was productive in college. 

Mingo really wasn't. 

I don't get this comp at all. 

On 3/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Good news Mike. That means we should live forever.

🤗

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Good news Mike. That means we should live forever.

🤗

WSS

Ironically there is some truth to living off the fat of the land if you make it to later life. More ability to survive a major illness (excluding heart problems of course). I think I'm all set.🤗

On 3/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, tiamat63 said:

The more I watch,  the less I like.   Might be a true combine warrior.   The tape just isn't that great for 17.

Edit: conversely his counterpart jumps off screen at times im not even watching for him. 

Some have mentioned AJ Brown was doing all the heavy lifting at Ole Miss, drawing the other team's #1 CB and is the better pro prospect. He didn't run a sub 4.4, but then again neither did Jerry Rice or Antonio Brown. 

For your consideration.... 

"Arthur "A.J." Brown, Jr. was a four-star recruit who led Starkville (Miss.) High to a state title, then chose to enroll at rival Ole Miss instead of hometown MSU. He received death threats through social media and insults in person but stuck with his decision. Even when the Rebels were sanctioned by the NCAA for recruiting violations, Brown stayed in Oxford with new coach Matt Luke. He played in in every game with one start as a true freshman (29-412-14.2, two TD). His stock skyrocketed after a stellar sophomore campaign, where he earned third-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-SEC honors. He ranked 10th in the FBS with 1,252 receiving yards and led the team with 75 receptions (16.7 average) in 12 starts. Brown finished the 2017 season with a big Egg Bowl win over MSU (7-167-23.9, TD). He was a first-team All-SEC pick again in 2018, starting all 12 games and breaking his own school record with 1,320 yards on 85 catches, scoring six times. Brown was selected as an outfielder in the 19th round of the 2016 amateur draft by the San Diego Padres. He participated in the team's extended spring practices the past three summers."

Archived