THE BROWNS BOARD

Triplets

The Gipper

This came up in another thread:    Which team has the best set of "Triplets"   i.e.  a QB,  an RB and a WR....who are tops at their positions in the league.

Here are a few candidtates:

Saints:   Brees/Michael Thomas/Kamara

Rams:  Goff/Gurley/ and either Brandon Cooks or Robert Woods

Colts:  Luck/TY Hilton/Marlon Mack

Texans:   Watson/Hopkins/Lamar Miller

Patriots:   Brady/Edelman/Michel

Giants:   Eli/Saquon/OBJ

Cowboys:  Dak/Zeke/Cooper

Chargers:  Rivers/Gordon/ Keenan Allen

Steelers:  Ben R/Conner....and A.Brown...except he won't be there, so put in Smith-Schuster

Bengals:   Dalton/AJ Green/either Mixon or Bernard?

Eagles:   Wentz/Ajayi/Agholor ..or Jeffrey

there could be others.

And how about the Browns up and comers:  Mayfield/Chubb/either  Landry...or Calloway.

So...is there any kind of order we can put these in?   Do not think there is now an all HOF group...like the Aikman/Smith/Irving triplets.  

40 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

Which one would you take right now to build on? I might just go crazy and take Dak/Zeke/Coop

I think the top one right now is  probably Brees/Kamara/Thomas.   But with the 40 year old Brees...that would not comport with your "build on" question. 

As for "build on" where they would all be pretty young players, the  one you suggest certainly.   The Rams trio got them to the Super Bowl, more or less.  Have to consider the Texans crew I would think.....and I certainly would not discount our Browns trio. 

42 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

Rodgers/Adams/Jones maybe 

Green Bay is considered to be one of the handful of landing spots for  L. Bell.....that could put the Packers in the picture clearly.

Indy is also a noted potential landing spot for him.   With Luck and Hilton?  Hard to beat perhaps. 

Mahomes/Hill/Hunt with no doubt would have been my choice till Hunt was cut from KC, also because there is a guy calle Kelce...

Id agree on the Saints having the best triplet, but Brees is a few years older than ideal. 

I'd put Brady and company on the conversation: they might not be spectacular, but damn they work well. 

If Marlon Mack establishes himself as a great runner, I'd put the Colts in the top too.

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Mahomes/Hill/Hunt with no doubt would have been my choice till Hunt was cut from KC, also because there is a guy calle Kelce...

Id agree on the Saints having the best triplet, but Brees is a few years older than ideal. 

I'd put Brady and company on the conversation: they might not be spectacular, but damn they work well. 

If Marlon Mack establishes himself as a great runner, I'd put the Colts in the top too.

Well....as I said, if L.Bell ends up in Indy....that could be an issue for the rest of the AFCS....if not for all the AFC.

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

Otto graham....marion motley...mac speedie

Well....I was thinking of current day.....but why not:    

What have been the best "Triplet" combinations in history.     (by the way...you may want to substitute Dante Lavelli in lieu of Speedie.  Lavelli is the HOFer.

From what I can find based on my review, the following are the only Hall of Fame Triplets  that there has been in the history of the NFL/AFL.   That is,  where a QB, RB, WR  each played a substantial time together, and where each made the PFHOF.    In chronological order:

Browns 40s/50:  Otto Graham,  Marion Motley, Dante Lavelli

LA Rams...50s:    Bob Waterfield,  Elroy Hirsch (HB), Tom Fears

Baltimore Colts 50s/60s   Johnny Unitas,  Lenny Moore,  Raymond Berry

Miami Dolphins  70s:   Bob Griese,  Larry Csonka,  Paul Warfield

Pittsburgh Steelers 70s:   Terry Bradshaw,  Franco Harris,   Lynn Swann/John Stallworth

Buffalo Bills  90s:  Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed

Dallas Cowboys  90s:  Troy Aikman,  Emmitt Smith,  Michael Irvin.

Potential future HOF triplets:

Rams with Kurt Warner/Marshall Faulk....and if either Tori Holt or Isaac Bruce make it.  The last two have been under heavy consideration.

49ers  with Montana/Rice....and if Roger Craig were ever selected....he too has had serious consideration.

Anyone else with potential?

The 1968-69 SB III combo of Namath/Snell/Sauer-Maynard were pretty good but they had a nice combination of players......and beat the mighty Colts. Not exactly triplets but memorable.

Pos Player Age Yrs GS Summary of Player Stats Drafted (tm/rnd/yr)
  Offensive Starters          
QB Joe Namath*+ 25 3 14 187 for 380, 3,147 yards, 15 td, 17 int, & 5 rushes for 11 yards and 2 td New York Jets / 1st / 1st pick / 1965, St. Louis Cardinals / 1st / 12th pick / 1965
HB Emerson Boozer* 25 2   143 rushes for 441 yards, 5 td, & 12 catches for 101 yards and 0 td New York Jets / 6th / 46th pick / 1966, Pittsburgh Steelers / 7th / 98th pick / 1966
FB Matt Snell 27 4 14 179 rushes for 747 yards, 6 td, & 16 catches for 105 yards and 1 td New York Jets / 1st / 3rd pick / 1964, New York Giants / 4th / 49th pick / 1964
FL Don Maynard* 33 10   57 catches for 1,297 yards, 10 td New York Giants / 9th / 109th pick / 1957
SE George Sauer*+ 25 3   66 catches for 1,141 yards, 3 td, & 2 rushes for 21 yards and 0 td

23 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The 1968-69 SB III combo of Namath/Snell/Sauer-Maynard were pretty good but they had a nice combination of players......and beat the mighty Colts. Not exactly triplets but memorable.

Pos Player Age Yrs GS Summary of Player Stats Drafted (tm/rnd/yr)
  Offensive Starters          
QB Joe Namath*+ 25 3 14 187 for 380, 3,147 yards, 15 td, 17 int, & 5 rushes for 11 yards and 2 td New York Jets / 1st / 1st pick / 1965, St. Louis Cardinals / 1st / 12th pick / 1965
HB Emerson Boozer* 25 2   143 rushes for 441 yards, 5 td, & 12 catches for 101 yards and 0 td New York Jets / 6th / 46th pick / 1966, Pittsburgh Steelers / 7th / 98th pick / 1966
FB Matt Snell 27 4 14 179 rushes for 747 yards, 6 td, & 16 catches for 105 yards and 1 td New York Jets / 1st / 3rd pick / 1964, New York Giants / 4th / 49th pick / 1964
FL Don Maynard* 33 10   57 catches for 1,297 yards, 10 td New York Giants / 9th / 109th pick / 1957
SE George Sauer*+ 25 3   66 catches for 1,141 yards, 3 td, & 2 rushes for 21 yards and 0 td

There are many and numerous situations where you have  2 players out of the 3 in the HOF.  Neither Boozer nor Snell are HOF.  

While Meatloaf was right:   2 out of 3 ain't bad.....but to qualify here, it has to be 3 out of 3. 

I guess we could ask.....could there be a different kind of "Triplets".....say,  take a TE as one of the three?  Or actually have any 3 skill players? Then you could count these perhaps:

Chargers:   Fouts/Joiner/Winslow

Raiders:   Stabler/Biletnikoff/Casper

Packers:  Starr/Taylor/Hornung

Browns:  Jim Brown/Paul Warfield/Leroy Kelly played together for 2 seasons. 

And then you would have this:   I believe the only  "Quadruple" that played together:

QB  Unitas, RB Moore WR Berry TE Mackey

Archived