THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Kareem Hunt

tiamat63

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, Tour2ma said:

No need to tag an RFA... you simply get his sig on an offer sheet and if anyone wants him then you get a draft pick. Doesn't even cost all that much for the pick to be a 1st-rounder.

And that may be the reason we signed him.  By the time he plays out his suspension, we won't have a lot of money in him.  If I could buy a 1st or 2nd rounder every year for a few hundred thousand dollars a year, I would do it.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:18 PM, LondonBrown said:

FWIW I think Hunt is a piece of shit and we never should have signed him. 

no shit...what the fuck are we going to do with 3 productive backs....someone is going to get fucked with the number of carries...i am happy with duke and chubb....this will be another shit show....give dorsey a chance to fuck this shit up is what i see....unless he trades kunt for some good high draft picks....we need defense, not 3 fucking productive rb's...christ almighty....

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, browns52 said:

no shit...what the fuck are we going to do with 3 productive backs....someone is going to get fucked with the number of carries...i am happy with duke and chubb....this will be another shit show....give dorsey a chance to fuck this shit up is what i see....unless he trades kunt for some good high draft picks....we need defense, not 3 fucking productive rb's...christ almighty....

Should the above be in PINK?

Mike

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Canton Mike said:

Should the above be in PINK?

Mike

Some guys just don't get injuries happen Mike. High draft picks? Someone is living in fantasy land. 31 other teams had a chance to sign Hunt for the cost of a contract, (and a minimal one at that) no draft picks involved. 

It's a near certainty Kareem is facing a lengthy suspension on top of it. Latest estimates are anywhere from a low of six, to a high of twelve games...  

12 minutes ago, browns52 said:

Quality depth never hurts a team.   This guy cost the Browns nothing (but minimal money)...and could give the Browns quality depth.  (his issues aside)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

Some guys just don't get injuries happen Mike. High draft picks? Someone is living in fantasy land. 31 other teams had a chance to sign Hunt for the cost of a contract, (and a minimal one at that) no draft picks involved. 

It's a near certainty Kareem is facing a lengthy suspension on top of it. Latest estimates are anywhere from a low of six, to a high of twelve games...  

Some guys also will never be happy no matter what the team does.   Browns52 being one of those posters who does nothing but bitch and complain about everything.

23 hours ago, hoorta said:

If he is suspended 12 games doesn't that mean that we would actually get him for the remaining four games this year and another year because I think players have to be active for more than 25% of the season for it to accrue as a year on a contract. Much like Josh Gordon a couple years ago when he was suspended for the last game that season did not count towards his four-year contract.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

If he is suspended 12 games doesn't that mean that we would actually get him for the remaining four games this year and another year because I think players have to be active for more than 25% of the season for it to accrue as a year on a contract. Much like Josh Gordon a couple years ago when he was suspended for the last game that season did not count towards his four-year contract.

Checked- it counts as an accrued season if Hunt is on the active roster for at least six games. If not, it's not an accrued season- which would mean Hunt wouldn't be a RFA until the 2021 league year.  

So, if Hunt gets suspended for more than 10 games, (personally, I don't think he will) your premise is correct...   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

I am hoping he gets a 10 game suspension with credit given for the 4 regular season he missed last year giving him to us in week 7. 

I don't see him being given credit for last year since he was cut.

There is a difference between being released and suspended.

I do understand your thinking....I just don't see it happening.

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't see him being given credit for last year since he was cut.

There is a difference between being released and suspended.

I do understand your thinking....I just don't see it happening.

EBut he was placed on the exempt list which is essentially a suspension so in my mind it should count because any team could’ve picked him up and use him if not for that 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

EBut he was placed on the exempt list which is essentially a suspension so in my mind it should count because any team could’ve picked him up and use him if not for that 

Shrug....who knows?  Guess we will find out in a few weeks/months

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

10 - 12 weeks?

WSS

I keep seeing 10 weeks.  

Question for any who might know.  Once Hunt is officially suspended, can he practice with the team or is he out of all activity?

If he can't do anything, I don't see how he is going to be much help down the stretch.

Just looked it up....no.  He can't even get a playbook.  Six games counts as a accrued season.  It's looking more like we signed him to gain his restricted status, tag him, then keep him or take the pick.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I keep seeing 10 weeks.  

Question for any who might know.  Once Hunt is officially suspended, can he practice with the team or is he out of all activity?

If he can't do anything, I don't see how he is going to be much help down the stretch.

Just looked it up....no.  He can't even get a playbook.  Six games counts as a accrued season.  It's looking more like we signed him to gain his restricted status, tag him, then keep him or take the pick.

... Hence the reason(s)  why I said Duke isn't as expendable as many have speculated.   

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

... Hence the reason(s)  why I said Duke isn't as expendable as many have speculated.   

I never thought he was going to be expendable this season.  The deadline is the end of October every year.....that is like week 7 or 8.

I have always thought if Duke is traded, it would be after we sign Hunt to a long term deal, which would be next year.

9 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I never thought he was going to be expendable this season.  The deadline is the end of October every year.....that is like week 7 or 8.

I have always thought if Duke is traded, it would be after we sign Hunt to a long term deal, which would be next year.

Wasn't referencing you specifically, you just had the post content I wanted to quote.   Apologies for the confusion. 

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I keep seeing 10 weeks.  

He cant be with team in season, but unless something has changed, he can participate in camp and preseason games, which he should have a playbook then

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

He cant be with team in season, but unless something has changed, he can participate in camp and preseason games, which he should have a playbook then

And IIRC, wasn't an exception made for Gordon?   

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And IIRC, wasn't an exception made for Gordon?   

When he was suspended for a certain number of games or indefinitely. No contact when indefinitely, but when it is a set number of games I believe they can.

Brady did, Edelman did I believe, some others blanking on 

On 2/27/2019 at 2:27 PM, ballpeen said:

I keep seeing 10 weeks.  

6 games on the active roster, active being key word. So even if his suspension is 10 and he can't get the Playbook to learn the plays we could just not list him on the active roster for a week and then this year would not count as an accrued season. And he has a remainder of 5 games this year to get acclimated then hopefully a postseason run to get acclimated and a full year next year before he is actually a restricted free agent.

12 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

6 games on the active roster, active being key word. So even if his suspension is 10 and he can't get the Playbook to learn the plays we could just not list him on the active roster for a week and then this year would not count as an accrued season. And he has a remainder of 5 games this year to get acclimated then hopefully a postseason run to get acclimated and a full year next year before he is actually a restricted free agent.

I predict he will be on the field week 7

On 3/2/2019 at 3:25 AM, bjh2130 said:

If it came to a situation like that- I don't think Dorsey would pull a dirty trick like that to screw Hunt out of an accrued season.... 

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If it came to a situation like that- I don't think Dorsey would pull a dirty trick like that to screw Hunt out of an accrued season.... 

But if he doesn't know the offense because he couldn't get the Playbook I wouldn't consider it a dirty move. It's not a wise move to have someone on your active roster that can't contribute when called upon that day due to not knowing the plays.

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

But if he doesn't know the offense because he couldn't get the Playbook I wouldn't consider it a dirty move. It's not a wise move to have someone on your active roster that can't contribute when called upon that day due to not knowing the plays.

It was alluded to earlier in this thread- and that's not the case. Up until the regular season starts, a suspended player can work out with the team, attend practices, and even play in preseason games. So Hunt will for sure get a playbook (if he hasn't already) When the regular season starts- then it's no contact with the team. Can't even go to an NFL game as a spectator. 

EDIT:  Researching- But, when a player comes back from a suspension, the playbook he got in preseason probably changed quite a bit- as it's opponent specific. However, every team has a set of basic plays they use throughout the season...  

& according to the calendar in another thread the Browns can start formal offseason workouts April 1st....  

• Upvote 1