THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Kareem Hunt

tiamat63

4 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Duke can't be happy with the snaps hes getting and now we bring in a Hunt to take away even more playing time. He is going to be nothing more then depth and special teams at this point. Granted hes making like 5 mil a year and hes not destroying his body. 

First and foremost, look into kitchens use or 3 RB sets and wing T. Considering Duke and hunts ability to catch the ball, having a stable of versatile backs allows for an immense amount of offensive creativity. Baker spreads the ball around anyway, so if Duke values stats over winning, he can go.

Depth isn't a bad thing. In this case, hunts getting some type of suspension. 4...6...8 games ... Who knows maybe more. Under no circumstances is Duke going anywhere until there's a replacement and hunt gets on the field. Hyde hung around till they were sure Chubb was good to go. By the time hunts ready, we're in a playoff push, hunt has fresh legs, no one has any film on his usage, and dukes already gonna have an established role. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No worse than the  100 other players who are now playing that have been charged with some kind of crime.  

Remember....his case does NOT fall into the domestic abuse category.   He didn't even know this woman apparently.  And strictly....Domestic abuse can only be committed on someone you are related to or living with.   This would be just a plain criminal assault case.  Now....is it worse because it was the assault of a woman.  Not legally....legally it would not matter if it was a male or a female he assaulted.      But, of course, it looks much worse when it appears that he assaults a woman.  Because honestly....this society still really holds what can only be called sexist views on subjects of this nature.

If a man gets into an argument and then a fight with a man (who he is not related to or live with)....we do not consider that as aggregious  as when a man gets into an argument and then a fight with a woman (who...again, he is not related to or lives with).   And why not?  Protective sexist attitudes toward women.

I am certainly NOT defending what he did.....I am just explaining the difference in the reaction to what he did than if it were a male on male confrontation.

Don't know your situation, but from the post here it seems that you see no difference, or would have no opinion one way or the other, if a man assaulted your son vs daughter. 

I have no problem with the Browns signing Hunt. I just think that people should use the same rules for a Browns player vs another teams player with chances and benefits. If someone is going to RIP a player for assault or DV, then dont try to qualify for a player on your team. I don't think ANYONE here is trying to defend his actions, that isn't my point. The point is, if he had signed with Steelers I think the talk and outcome of suspension would be different.

14 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

Who hasn't given a hooker a love tap kick after she leaves?  🙄

yeah but that's not what happened. Im assuming you're talking about Hunt right? Cause what happened in that Clev hotel was that chick went off on him cause he wanted to call it a night with him and his girl..im still not exactly clear why that chick went off on him so hard and may have called him the N word, "allegedly"...I mean  if all that went down as said...im not condoning what he did, but I undastand!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Before the Ray Rice thing they had nothing in place, since that whole media shit-storm they have implemented a framework on how to deal with Domestic Violence. But you said it yourself and are correct this isn't Domestic Violence. His on tape kicking some racist bitch while she was the ground while his boys are trying to hold him back. What does he get for that I dunno? Does Roger know? The only thing his been consistence at is being inconsistence. Doubt he gets time served because of optics of it. With that said we have by far the best backfield in the league. Go Browns!!!

Of course he was probably called the N-word 5000 times that same day by his posse 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baking up Turnovers said:

Proof?

The proof is you're copping a "holier than thou" attitude about any player that doesn't have a squeaky clean resume.  So buy a clue a significant percentage of players in the NFL fail to measure up to your standards. LOL, if no one ever screwed up in their lives, the divorce rate should be zero. 

Josh sakes- pun intended- we gave Gordon damn near unlimited chances to fly right- and now you want to crucify Hunt after one mistake? Athletic talent gets you those second- or tenth chances. Hunt led the league in rushing- in case you forgot. 

Personally, I'm willing to buy Kareem's apology as sincere- until proven otherwise. He's on a zero tolerance contract. Dorsey will cut him in two seconds if he screws up again. 

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

Who hasn't given a hooker a love tap kick after she leaves?  🙄

We don't know that but- no charges were filed. MY POV is it takes one hell of a man to just walk away after some chick starts calling you names and slaps you in the face- especially if you've had more than a few drinks...  

I don't like woman beaters. I don't like abusive people. I don't reach the point of wishing them hell, but I don't like them.

Having said that, these guys play in a very violent sport, where the alpha men are praised and they get paid a lot of money. I can see them derailing and acting like that, mostly when they have reached that level through working their bodies out. Many people lose their mind when they become millionaires, so I don't know what we expect from them, really. 

The only thing we should care about is his performance. The rest, like in any other job (I think bjh said it) is superfluous. Did he commit a crime? He should be punished. But I am nobody to judge that. 

Likewise, we shouldn't be surprised or pissed when the same happens in other teams and other players. It's all about sports, all about business. I don't seek moral references in football. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, hoorta said:

We don't know that but- no charges were filed. MY POV is it takes one hell of a man to just walk away after some chick starts calling you names and slaps you in the face- especially if you've had more than a few drinks...  

And on testosterone most likely. I have to think the majority of these guys are using peds.  Top athletes can get around tests.

I don't think the general public realizes how the NFL environment conditions you to be as aggressive as possible.  Being in that environment all the time.... When the drinks start going,  and party girls get involved,  you know crazy shits going down

15 hours ago, runyon27 said:

I think nothing happens until 2020. If Kareem stays clean and we resign to multi-year deal, then Duke probably gets shipped out in 2020. If Kareem screws up we still have Duke. So I wouldn't expect anything to happen with the RBs until 2020 outside of Hilliard being released once Hunt is eligible.

When he does turn out for us imagine our offense with a top quality receiver added .... either FA or draft ...... if the Steelers were not in our division I could see Dorsey deffo moving for Antonio Brown ....... maybe OBJ is on the cards ?

This is a bit of a questionable signing..

We have depth at RB with Duke and Dayes. 

Yeah I know Hunt is a good RB, a great one even, but Chubb was exceptional in his rookie season..

IF Kareem can keep his name out of the news and his foot out of women's faces, then this might work out..

But until then, I remain skeptical of this.. I hope I am wrong though and he comes back and lights it up out there.

10 hours ago, choco said:

A rapist has 2 Superbowl wins.

Way different point. 

The point I am making is if he had signed with Steelers, or another player on Patriots had the same issue, would everyone say the same things about him? If history is correct, then no. 

I'll look at it like this, and it's not to call someone out. But there has been talk that his games missed already should count as his punishment. If Hunt had signed with Pittsburgh, would people be adamant that they should count? 

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

The point I am making is if he had signed with Steelers, or another player on Patriots had the same issue, would everyone say the same things about him? If history is correct, then no. 

not to be a dick, but its not a very good point.  toss out a hypothetical that cannot be proven under the circumstances, make a bold claim that also cannot be proven or verified.  what history?  are you going to provide it?  because the end conclusion of your point is that all football fans are like minded, do not have individual thoughts or feelings, and lack nuance in examining situations with different circumstances.  how is it that you seem to know everyone else's thoughts on something that hasn't even happened?  

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

But there has been talk that his games missed already should count as his punishment. 

by one member of this board.  but to hear you tell it, its common internet chatter.  why would you need to exaggerate that?  

sorry...i dont see any relevance to this point youre making.  as if the observation that fans will typically tolerate more negativity for their own team than other teams is some new revelation...congrats, you discovered humanity's fickle nature.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

Personally, I'm willing to buy Kareem's apology as sincere- until proven otherwise. He's on a zero tolerance contract. Dorsey will cut him in two seconds if he screws up again. 

That's basically where I am.   Hopefully he uses the fact that he was out of a job and out of the league as a wake up call and doesn't do anything like this again.   He deserves a 2nd chance but certainly not a third.

15 hours ago, choco said:

First and foremost, look into kitchens use or 3 RB sets and wing T. Considering Duke and hunts ability to catch the ball, having a stable of versatile backs allows for an immense amount of offensive creativity. Baker spreads the ball around anyway, so if Duke values stats over winning, he can go.

Depth isn't a bad thing. In this case, hunts getting some type of suspension. 4...6...8 games ... Who knows maybe more. Under no circumstances is Duke going anywhere until there's a replacement and hunt gets on the field. Hyde hung around till they were sure Chubb was good to go. By the time hunts ready, we're in a playoff push, hunt has fresh legs, no one has any film on his usage, and dukes already gonna have an established role. 

I didnt even think about the potential of a 3 rb set. Imagining Duke and Hunt running little flare routes and Chubb hammering it up the guts is damned near impossible to stop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, choco said:

not to be a dick, but its not a very good point.  toss out a hypothetical that cannot be proven under the circumstances, make a bold claim that also cannot be proven or verified.  what history?  are you going to provide it?  because the end conclusion of your point is that all football fans are like minded, do not have individual thoughts or feelings, and lack nuance in examining situations with different circumstances.  how is it that you seem to know everyone else's thoughts on something that hasn't even happened?  

by one member of this board.  but to hear you tell it, its common internet chatter.  why would you need to exaggerate that?  

sorry...i dont see any relevance to this point youre making.  as if the observation that fans will typically tolerate more negativity for their own team than other teams is some new revelation...congrats, you discovered humanity's fickle nature.

Actually, it was more than 1 person. 

And no, it doesn't surprise me. Its just hypocritical. 

And your 1st statement is nowhere near a fact, but let's overlook that since you want to call someone out for not telling it exactly how you want. Everyone here, including me, can have the assumption or opinion that Big Ben committed sexual assault. But he wasn't convicted of that. He may have settled a lawsuit, that does not mean guilt. A lot of people when dealing with a lawsuit, and having means, will settle to avoid the long process.

Now, before coming at someone, maybe just maybe you should do a little research instead of thinking you know. I actually went back and read some of the comments about Hunt and others with similar issues. When he wasn't a member of the Browns, the discussion sounded different.

And obviously you aren't a very critical thinker. When the statement says "would everyone..." that is in no way shape or form making everyone like minded. Oh, you need an example to prove that, sure why not.

"Would everyone here feel like Tom Brady was a great guy if he weren't the Patriots QB?"

You see, in the presence of a question, there is no statement, therefore no assumption of everyone being the same.

But, I digress. How about you man, do YOU think that Hunt's suspension would be discussed about having time served, giving him the benefit of doubt, and accepting his apology in the same way IF he had signed with Pittsburgh?

Again, I have zero issue with him being signed. I have zero issue with the suspension no matter the length.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Actually, it was more than 1 person. 

bottom of page 1...gipper make 2 comments about it.  top of page 2, hoorta and ATOM comment.  that was the extent of that train of thought.  such a dynamic and riveting topic, eh?

30 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I actually went back and read some of the comments about Hunt and others with similar issues. When he wasn't a member of the Browns, the discussion sounded different.

well, since you seem to have already forgotten what was discussed in that thread, ill leave this here for you to mull over for a minute or 2.

14 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Not that im meh on signing hunt, but it wasnt the most immediate FA need...i need to hear about some defensive signings soon

Hunt was cut....that is why he is available now.   Regular Free Agency period begins  sometime in March.  Not sure the exact date.   Check the NFL Calendar thread for that.

And for what its worth, it appeared that the Browns were not the only pursuers.  Stated on Radio that the Bears may have been after him (new HC Nagy having been his OC in KC)....and that KC may have been wanting to take him back.  That is why the Browns jumped now.....and why they gave him that 1 mill contract....so that they could control his right through at least 2020. 

That is what I heard.

17 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Don't know your situation, but from the post here it seems that you see no difference, or would have no opinion one way or the other, if a man assaulted your son vs daughter. 

I have no problem with the Browns signing Hunt. I just think that people should use the same rules for a Browns player vs another teams player with chances and benefits. If someone is going to RIP a player for assault or DV, then dont try to qualify for a player on your team. I don't think ANYONE here is trying to defend his actions, that isn't my point. The point is, if he had signed with Steelers I think the talk and outcome of suspension would be different.

Lets leave my family out of it, and I will leave your family out of it.

My point is simply yes....legally, there is no difference between an assault by a male upon a female or upon a male. Only in a subjective punishment situation would it make a difference because of the views of the punisher.

And as long as you are surmising consider this:   

Hunt is accused of assaulting a white woman. Would it have made any difference  in your view if:

A. It had been a white male who called him the N word who he assaulted?

B. it had been a black female who called him the N word who he assaulted?

C. it had been a black male who called him the N word who he assaulted?

Better yet...surmise what Hunt's reaction would have been in each of these situation.

4 hours ago, choco said:

sorry...i dont see any relevance to this point you're making.  as if the observation that fans will typically tolerate more negativity for their own team than other teams is some new revelation...congrats, you discovered humanity's fickle nature.

True enough. Our Steeler visitors were defending Ben to the death when his incident went down. I don't think anyone here has condoned what Kareem did. Put a positive spin on it? Sure. LOL, he's our thug now.   By comparison- he's certainly not in the Ray Rice, Joe Mixon, or Packman Jones level of misbehavior...  Kicking someone, and landing a haymaker KO to the jaw are an entirely different level of violence- just my 0.02  .   

55 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Not that I'm meh on signing hunt, but it wasn't the most immediate FA need...I need to hear about some defensive signings soon

Unless there's someone in the CFL you have a liking for- "soon" Is 4PM March 13th...   

Like I've said before- who's out there as a free agent you want to sign?  The only guys we can sign before the new league year starts in March are players who currently don't have contracts. Expiring contracts don't count- like you love affair with Ziggy Ansah, he's still under contract with the Lions until March, talking with him or his agent now would be considered tampering under league rules. Kansas City terminated Hunt's contract- the reason we could sign him now.  Jamie Meder is waiting by the phone- want to bring him back?  If you're interested- we also can sign guys that are playing in the AAF.  Har- doubt you'd be interested in Christian Hackenberg or Trent Richardson.... :D

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Hunt was cut....that is why he is available now.   Regular Free Agency period begins  sometime in March.  Not sure the exact date.   Check the NFL Calendar thread for that.

And for what its worth, it appeared that the Browns were not the only pursuers.  Stated on Radio that the Bears may have been after him (new HC Nagy having been his OC in KC)....and that KC may have been wanting to take him back.  That is why the Browns jumped now.....and why they gave him that 1 mill contract....so that they could control his right through at least 2020. 

That is what I heard.

As to controlling his rights- sort of Gipper. Play along with this scenario. Hunt isn't suspended for the entire season (I doubt the NFL is going to come down that hard on him) and returns to his leading the league rushing form.  80-90 ypg.  He's a RFA, and with that production the Browns would undoubtedly slap a first round tender on him.  I suspect the 2020 cost will be in the neighborhood of $4.5 million or so.  Considering what Todd Gurley got, and what  Le'veon Bell is going to get ($10 million+) that's dirt cheap for another RB needy team. BTW, checking Spotrac, in 2020 Zeke Elliot will undoubtedly have his fifth year option exercised by the Cowboys that will put him in the $9 million range  so I could see a bidding war breaking out.  Assuming Chubb stays healthy, the Browns would happily take the first round pick in compensation.  And if there's no takers, we have a real nice relatively cheap insurance policy going into 2020 should Chubb get hurt. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, hoorta said:

True enough. Our Steeler visitors were defending Ben to the death when his incident went down. I don't think anyone here has condoned what Kareem did. Put a positive spin on it? Sure. LOL, he's our thug now.   By comparison- he's certainly not in the Ray Rice, Joe Mixon, or Packman Jones level of misbehavior...  Kicking someone, and landing a haymaker KO to the jaw are an entirely different level of violence- just my 0.02  . 

like that...he's our thug...🤣

tbh, im a bit uneasy considering his entire past.  rough upbringing for sure, never had a good role model.  3 assaults over a few years, one being on a female.  self control is very difficult to learn, and you know players are targets for jersey chasers or meatheads looking for a fight.  unless he realizes this and makes a concerted effort to change his response, i fear old habits will come back.  at this moment, no problem with the browns trying to rehab a young man that could greatly benefit down the road, not only the franchise but society.  had hunt been ostracized from the league, i find it highly likely he'd end up in jail.