THE BROWNS BOARD

AAF

beare

42 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

I should watch more than the 5 minutes I did last Saturday.  Too bad Qualcomm stadium sucks.  Like municipal stadium bad. Anyone who's been there knows exactly what I mean. 

Ah yes the Ol' Muni, you could smell the men's room from 50 yards away.  :lol:

I miss that old dump, great memories there like the hot dogs with stadium mustard and a beer.......sitting behind a pole. Loved it!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I should watch more than the 5 minutes I did last Saturday.  Too bad Qualcomm stadium sucks.  Like municipal stadium bad. Anyone who's been there knows exactly what I mean. 

saying it sucks is an insult to suckage.    It's worse than sucks. 

23 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I honestly think the AAF may be a testing ground for NFL rule changes.

Mike

Once a formal contract is in place beyond airing of some games, that almost a certainty. I'm more intrigued by other testing ground opportunities tho...the new tech they are using is going to collect more data than has ever been compiled before, and will further analytics use throughout the sport.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/aaf-trent-richardson-td-flag/amp

21 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ah yes the Ol' Muni, you could smell the men's room from 50 yards away.  :lol:

I miss that old dump, great memories there like the hot dogs with stadium mustard and a beer.......sitting behind a pole. Loved it!

Last game I saw there was the wild card game against the patriots in 94 

7 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I honestly think the AAF may be a testing ground for NFL rule changes.

Mike

Oh yeah that is quite apparent, kind of working with rather than against the NFL. 

Look for kickoffs to eventually be gone -but- why no 1 point EPs? Should be an option.

10 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

can you all imagine Heinz field after watching Ben get his helmet popped off like a shuttle launch? No seriously close ur eyes and imagine it, put a Browns player in there if you must....but honestly it's satisfying either way. 

Worth a 15 yard penalty.

Anybody else enjoying the compete level of some of these games? Am not sure if, a ref, a player or a replay booth official gets promoted first...i do hope the nfl keeps kickoffs in the game..    

On 2/18/2019 at 1:54 AM, gumby73 said:

Anybody else enjoying the compete level of some of these games? Am not sure if, a ref, a player or a replay booth official gets promoted first...i do hope the nfl keeps kickoffs in the game..    

AAF IN TROUBLE ALREADY........surprised?     https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/02/19/aaf-football-league-investor-tom-dundon/2914727002/

Charlie Ebersol previews the Alliance of American Football
CEO of the AAF, Charlie Ebersol, stops by the USA TODAY studio to discuss the start of the new football league.
USA TODAY

For the past 50 years, every attempt to start a new professional football league has faced the same problem. Though football is far and away America’s most popular sport, there is simply no evidence that enough people want to spend enough time watching a minor-league version to make it financially viable over the long-term. 

That’s why it was curious Tuesday when the startup Alliance of American Football announced that billionaire entrepreneur and Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon laid down $250 million to become the league’s chairman amid reports it was already in danger of running out of money after just two weeks of play. 

The league nearly missed its first week’s payroll, according to Darren Rovell of the Action Network, although co-founder Charlie Ebersol refuted the reports in remarks to The Orlando Sentinel

Dundon’s emergency bailout of the league comes with a pretty important question: What, exactly, is he getting for his $250 million? 

Far be it from anyone to tell Dundon how to spend his money, but this seems like buying at the top of the market for the notion that America doesn’t have enough football when, in fact, there’s a lot of evidence that the amount we get from August through the first week in February is exactly right. 

Isn’t a huge part of what makes the NFL and the top-level of college football so popular, and so valuable, is its scarcity? For a good five months, a significant chunk of America invests three or four hours (and often considerably more) every weekend watching football.

Then the season ends, allowing anticipation to build to the point where there’s genuine excitement when it returns. The ability to miss football, which you don’t get as much during a nine-month NBA season or baseball's never-ending slog, is actually a great luxury for its fans..........CONTINUED.........USA TODAY.......

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Isn’t a huge part of what makes the NFL and the top-level of college football so popular, and so valuable, is its scarcity? For a good five months, a significant chunk of America invests three or four hours (and often considerably more) every weekend watching football

I have no opinion on the new league but this claim is hilarious. 

Yep the reason the NFL is so popular is because we hardly ever get to see it*

*my pink sarcasm skills are non existent 

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I think there's something to be said for this.   I watch as much football during football season as anyone and I have zero interest in this new league and based on the dozens of people who showed up to watch SD this past  week, I'm not alone.

Football has its season.  It's over now.  Time to regroup and get ready for the fall when football comes back.

18 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

The regular season is just over 4 months plus preseason beginning August 2, 2019, postseason, the draft, college football yes there is plenty of televised football.

Oversaturation in anything tends to lessen even reduce demand even the super bowl is no exception. Especially in the coveted Adults 18-49 group where it was the lowest ever since they have been tracking those numbers. The high was 41.2 in 1996 now 31.0. Yes you can get too much of anything.

Why has every new league in the past 50+ years failed? Simple, outside of pigskin diehards it's just too much. 

Oh and the most hyped TV program of the year, well.......The CBS telecast of the game drew 98.2 million viewers Sunday, down more than 5 million from last year to the lowest turnout since 2008. That year, Fox claimed 97.4 million for the New York Giants’ defeat over this year’s champion New England Patriots. Another 2.6 million people streamed Sunday’s game online.

The big game has consistently topped 100 million on TV since 2010, peaking at 114.4 million in 2015. And it remains by far the year’s most-watched program........

Screenshot_2019-02-20-11-36-18.png

Screenshot_2019-02-20-11-36-46.png

All of this despite efforts by all major sports including the NFL to advertise and promote the games in the USA and worldwide with ever increasing populations.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:35 AM, Mark O said:

I think there's something to be said for this.   I watch as much football during football season as anyone and I have zero interest in this new league and based on the dozens of people who showed up to watch SD this past  week, I'm not alone.

Football has its season.  It's over now.  Time to regroup and get ready for the fall when football comes back.

I'd say that for us europeans, having a soccer league that lasts from late August till May, it is quite surprising how short the NFL is, though it makes a lot of sense with the risk it brings for the players. Also here we have few people who watch, let's say basketball + tennis + motor sports + soccer, and we haven't got that "one sport for each season" concept you americans have. 

Nothing against it, but I wouldn't say that the scarcity makes american football more appealing. Just my two cents. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I'd say that for us europeans, having a soccer league that lasts from late August till May, it is quite surprising how short the NFL is, though it makes a lot of sense with the risk it brings for the players. Also here we have few people who watch, let's say basketball + tennis + motor sports + soccer, and we haven't got that "one sport for each season" concept you americans have. 

Nothing against it, but I wouldn't say that the scarcity makes american football more appealing. Just my two cents. 

You might be onto something, because if it was up to me every American pro sport's season would be shortened. 

14 game NFL season, 140 MLB season, 60 game NBA and NHL season. Less overlapping of sports seasons. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You might be onto something, because if it was up to me every American pro sport's season would be shortened. 

14 game NFL season, 140 MLB season, 60 game NBA and NHL season. Less overlapping of sports seasons. 

He is saying that in Europe all the seasons are much longer than we have over here. Of course they only follow one sport. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

He is saying that in Europe all the seasons are much longer than we have over here. Of course they only follow one sport. 

Not only one sport, but there are way less people watching 4 sports like you do in America with football+basketball+baseball+NHL

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What are the other major sports in Spain 

We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

Don't know why.

Z

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Don't know why.

Z

:) that's OK Z for those who don't follow the sport closely.  You'd think Stan Warinka is Polish- except he's not, he Swiss.... 

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Don't know why.

Z

Del Potro is a top tennis player and he is from Argentina. Maybe that has something to do?

7 hours ago, Nero said:

Del Potro is a top tennis player and he is from Argentina. Maybe that has something to do?

I'm old, probably more to do with Guillermo Villas and Gabby Sabatini.

I think I checked out on tennis around the time Sampras and Agassi got old and Anna Kournikova stopped knocking balls around.

anna-kournikova-all-people-photo-u1?w=65

19 hours ago, Nero said:

Well....I would say golf is more popular here than tennis...but I guess it depends on if you have a star from your country...like you do.  No US tennis male stars...(not like when we had McEnroe/Conners/Sampras/Agassi) ,  but the Williams sisters certainly are.  Indoor soccer was quite popular here once upon a time....especially in Cleveland (we even had some stars....can anyone remember Kai Haaskivi?) ....and imo...is far superior than the normal version. 

And handball? we played that in gym in junior high and high school. You put that leather glove on and slap that little rubber ball of the wall and you play an opponent. I think racketball derived from that. 

Archived