THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Team Cuts

darren15

Thread for cuts by teams and possible players we should look at

Falcons released kicker Matt Bryant ....one of the most accurate and consistent kickers around ......make your move Dorsey

8 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Thread for cuts by teams and possible players we should look at

Falcons released kicker Matt Bryant ....one of the most accurate and consistent kickers around ......make your move Dorsey

I like Matt Bryant, what do you guys think? A reliable kicker for 3.5 million a year. That is what he was getting in Atlanta, and I don't see him losing market value. 

Bryant had two years left on his contract at a total value of $7 million. His release will save the Falcons a total of $2.83 million against next season’s salary cap.

26 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

Could be a good move, but kicking in a dome, compared to the elements and wind. Like to see some stats comparing his dome/outside efficiency

20 FG made, 21 attempted (95.2%) ... 6/7 outdoors (85.7%)

34/39 (87.2%) ---- 16/19 (84.2%)

34/37 (91.9%) ---- 16/18 (88.8%)

I don't know if those numbers are scary or not, I'd say all the kickers have better stats in doomed stadiums so the drop is not that bad. I guess that injuries and missing games have something to do with it. He missed 3 weeks last season (and he had the bye in between). 

he's 44, and couldn't do kickoffs last year as he has a hard time reaching the end zone.  not sure how much of an upgrade he is...wanna see joseph in camp to evaluate if he improved over the offseason.  

dont forget it took dawson a couple years to become dawson.  browns (and fans by extension) gotta reverse the "he sucks after one year so move on" mentality.  

Tanner Vallejo was a 6th round draft pick in 2017. He's a decent depth LB, but he also got hurt playing LB at only like 210lbs. Maybe Dorsey see's better options? Wilks didn't like his tape? Maybe Tanner just wanted out? Kicker Matt Bryant is way past 4 years vested. Bryant will pick & choose where he wants to play. Dorsey can only combine tamper with his agent;).. Guys that fall under 4 years played(6 games/yr.), fall under wavier wire claim system.. Players over 4 yrs. vested, cut their own deals with team of choice or just the amount of money. The Wire falls close or same as the draft order for those under 4 season's vested only.. as of now Cinn.#11/Brns.#17/Pitt #20/Ravens #22..  

17 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Bryant missed several games with injury last year at 43. Pass.

Zombo

read a blurb, not sure if true, but someone said that he's only attempted one FG on grass below 40 degrees his entire career, which he missed

somewhere around the start of 2016 and 2017 season I wanted to kick Chris Tabor (or whomever 🤔) square the ballsacks from a kicker tee :o..We worked out K Robbie Gould before Giants & after Giants...The Gould has missed next to nothing in the Bay at 9'ers & Shanny won't return 'My' Text Messages 🤣

10 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Doesn't some guy called Phil Dawson have a contract expiring soon also ?

I believe he finished the year on IR so beyond that i have no idea

No thanks. He'll be 44 in May, kicked in a dome in the south. Moving north, kicking outside in some of the toughest winds (if not THE toughest) at his age?

Bring a young guy in to push & compete with Joseph.

Mike

1 hour ago, runyon27 said:

Bryant is a top notch kicker, even at 44. He is an upgrade over Joseph, every time Joseph kicks I have serious doubts he will make it. That said he obviously would only be a short term solution. But he is an upgrade over Joseph.

Joseph was a soccer player that's trying to be an NFL kicker...he can, in theory get better. Has a huge leg,hasn't learned to control it yet. In my estimation, I hope it's due to kicking a sphere vs kicking a football his entire life. I'm willing to give him a shot to figure out that difference.

Bryant knows how to kick a football for sure. But he's on the wrong side of age, spoiled with good weather, and already shown significant decline in leg strength.

I don't think its time to start bringing in declining FAs, regardless of position. A declining pass rusher in a playoff push, sure. Now? 

As we've seen this season, there's no such thing as an automatic kicker anymore. They moved back the XP, people lose their minds missing an "XP".  Hell, stools paid Boswell for last year, and he was one of the worst kickers this year. But they paid him, couldn't cut him.

Bring in competition. Best kicker wins, don't care about the Jersey #

IMO they should do away with field goals completely.  You have one guy that does the punts and kickoffs.  Extra points are from scrimmage.  1 point from the 1 yard line.  2 points is from the 5 yard line.

OR

If you must have FG's, then you cannot attempt one unless you reach the 30 yard line.  No more 50+ yard FG's.

All in favor say Aye.   All opposed remain quiet.  -  The Ayes have it.

I'd rather go with a young kid with upside... I'm tired of paying end of the road vets who perform like Devon Bess , Dwayne Bowe and Kenny Shitt..

34 minutes ago, nickers said:

I'd rather go with a young kid with upside... I'm tired of paying end of the road vets who perform like Devon Bess , Dwayne Bowe and Kenny Shitt..

I agree with you with the exception of kickers.  I think I'd rather pay for someone reliable then hoping that the young kid gets better.  

14 hours ago, Orion said:

IMO they should do away with field goals completely.  You have one guy that does the punts and kickoffs.  Extra points are from scrimmage.  1 point from the 1 yard line.  2 points is from the 5 yard line.

OR

If you must have FG's, then you cannot attempt one unless you reach the 30 yard line.  No more 50+ yard FG's.

All in favor say Aye.   All opposed remain quiet.  -  The Ayes have it.

NAY!!! The NFL has changed the rules, as players have gotten better. Not so the NBA. They should have raised the basket height to at least 11' long ago. Some guys can about dunk without even having to jump.

Can't move the goal posts back any farther (us oldsters remember when they were on the goal line) so make 'em Arena League wide instead. Think that might make more teams go for two after a touchdown instead?

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

so make 'em Arena League wide instead. Think that might make more teams go for two after a touchdown instead?

I thought they might have done that, but instead they moved the extra point back farther.  -  It would also make you go for the first down in windy conditions.  

38 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Theres a reason he got picked up instantaneously by the cards, he'll prob be a starting ilb'er for them next year as i think they're going back to the 34 following wilks departure

or Zona's next Scooby Wright to play ST's;)..Tanner is listed as the 3rd Sam LB behind Haason Reddick.so am not seeing him starting there, but Zona certainly needs LB talent, and Zona,Jets,NYG,Cinn,Minn & LAC's all put a bid in also..While i got you, who was the Mich.St DE/LB that motored up against the Buckeyes last season? Did he come out for this draft? EDit--BTW Scooby Wright is now playing for the Arizona Hotshots in new AAF league starting up this weekend.. 

On 2/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Then cross him off the list then! 😁

........from the grestest sports movie of all time.

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

NAY!!! The NFL has changed the rules, as players have gotten better. Not so the NBA. They should have raised the basket height to at least 11' long ago. Some guys can about dunk without even having to jump.

Can't move the goal posts back any farther (us oldsters remember when they were on the goal line) so make 'em Arena League wide instead. Think that might make more teams go for two after a touchdown instead?

Larry, I LOL at the memory of receivers crashing into the goalposts. It took brass balls to run a post pattern!...Gary Collins' signature play!!

Mike

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Letting vallejo go was a mistake imo, but it prob points to collins and kirk going nowhere. There's a reason he got picked up instantaneously by the cards, he'll prob be a starting ilb'er for them next year as i think they're going back to the 34 following wilks departure

Regarding Vallejo- The Cards are a talentless mess... You know you're improving as a team when your cuts start getting picked up by the bottom feeders... 

Regarding Collins... I still think it's mighty likely Collins either gets traded or cut. We only take a $2.5 million cap hit to release him. We sure aren't paying him $12 million his contract calls for this year for below average production... Now if he's willing to take a substantial pay cut- different story....  

Archived