THE BROWNS BOARD

What gov minimum wage setting does - it backfires

calfoxwc

I've made this point in the past, and caught all hell for it. But it is true.

The less qualified/educated/disabled are often waged out of job opportunities.

Thomas Sowell is an expert on the subject:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/minimum-wage-racial-gap-unemployment/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=e19348de1a-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-e19348de1a-20770865#axzz5eakLR3KR

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The vast majority of jobs will be wiped out by automation. However, asking for employers to bear the weight of high labor costs will just hasten this direction in the job market. 

The problem comes when machines can do just about every job better than humans and for far less cost.

That is how I see it. An employer who is on the fence about investing in automation will likely be swayed to do it when labor costs get too high. It certainly will eventually happen anyway but high labor costs will make it happen sooner than later.

2 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The vast majority of jobs will be wiped out by automation. However, asking for employers to bear the weight of high labor costs will just hasten this direction in the job market. 

The problem comes when machines can do just about every job better than humans and for far less cost.

That's definitely the case. There will be less and less menial tasks for humans to do. No amount of training is going to fill the gap. Google doesn't need a thousand Warm Bodies to run a Workstation. But the more and more we evolve into a welfare state the more and more reasons illegals from third world shitholes will be breaking down the doors.

WSS

And u all think wiping out the min wage will stop automation. Fucking clueless. If we want to.have meaningful employment we "as a collective", will have to.say no to it. And people that want to make shit with machines can go somewhere else and we dont accept certain products into the country we know were made solely by machines.

And if u dont like what i just said, go volunteer to download urself into some server at MIT now.....cause thats what they're goibg to do with us eventually anyway. 

32 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

And u all think wiping out the min wage will stop automation. Fucking clueless. If we want to.have meaningful employment we "as a collective", will have to.say no to it. And people that want to make shit with machines can go somewhere else and we dont accept certain products into the country we know were made solely by machines.

And if u dont like what i just said, go volunteer to download urself into some server at MIT now.....cause thats what they're goibg to do with us eventually anyway. 

Pretty much all clothing, is made by machines, in other countries. Do you really think we are going to stop the importing of all that? Probably not

Unless you want to pay double or triple for hand made stuff “Made in the USA” 

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

Pretty much all clothing, is made by machines, in other countries. Do you really think we are going to stop the importing of all that? Probably not

Unless you want to pay double or triple for hand made stuff “Made in the USA” 

Machines operated by humans tho. Plenty of humans still have to be in those factories. U look at automated plants of the future they are almost completely autonomous

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

Machines operated by humans tho. Plenty of humans still have to be in those factories. U look at automated plants of the future they are almost completely autonomous

Not anymore.  Automation has taken over clothing.  Basically the only humans are the ones programming the machines 

Nike and Adidas want automation 

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/industrial/nike-adidas-robot-automated-production-facility-87013#ath

55 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Not anymore.  Automation has taken over clothing.  Basically the only humans are the ones programming the machines 

Nike and Adidas want automation 

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/industrial/nike-adidas-robot-automated-production-facility-87013#ath

ughhh, fuck these companies. I swear i'd outlaw them if I was president. You went to china in the 80's and paid people pennies, now you think you can come back to the states and run your AI bullshit? Fuck them. I'd give em to china and then tariff the living fuck out of their shit. Think Nike is expensive now? haha, just wait. 

12 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

ughhh, fuck these companies. I swear i'd outlaw them if I was president. You went to china in the 80's and paid people pennies, now you think you can come back to the states and run your AI bullshit? Fuck them. I'd give em to china and then tariff the living fuck out of their shit. Think Nike is expensive now? haha, just wait. 

Weren't you just recently having a conniption fit over tariffs?

WSS

24 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Weren't you just recently having a conniption fit over tariffs?

WSS

no I agreed with the tariffs if they were done right. I was worried about starting a trade war with multiple partners. On china tho I said from the beginning that he was the first president to address their bullshit. 

21 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

You are screaming into the wind. Automation will happen whether you want it to or not. This is what is driving the conversation about universal basic income.

1 minute ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

You are screaming into the wind. Automation will happen whether you want it to or not. This is what is driving the conversation about universal basic income.

My team is working on 3 different automation projects right now. All can potentially cut a head. Though "reallocate" is the PC term. 

But the transition isn't always that easy, and there are still a lot if benefits to the human element.

U all xan take this as u will, some if not most of u will scream bullshit clev's bullshitting....but swear to god if i won the lottery, even one of those huge near 1b payouts....i'd disappear into a self sustaining compound somewhere out in the sticks. No sports cars or yachts or any of the usual baubles these fgt humans surround themselves with. Id convert a sizeable chunk of my winnings to gold and disappear into the woods on a "yuuuge", and i mean bigly,  piece of land.

I dont wanna be around when 100's  of millions of  people around the country cant find meaningful labor. And the elites keep playing global chess with all the resources that god put on the planet for everyone. Ive always wondered if id live long enough to see muslims, christians etc,etc..come to theircsenses and realize how hard they've been played. It honestly doesnt feel that far off anymore.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

My team is working on 3 different automation projects right now. All can potentially cut a head. Though "reallocate" is the PC term. 

But the transition isn't always that easy, and there are still a lot if benefits to the human element.

Better tell that to Uber,  cab and truck drivers.   Those few million jobs will be obsolete in a decade.   

27 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

But capitalism is awesome. A multi billion dollar company would rather have robots flipping burgers than pay employees some semblance of a meaningful wage. They can easily afford it, but that would take away from their stock dividends....and wall street is god so thats that. One day the u.s wont be able to print mobey out of thin air then this wall street business will start to fold a bit, than this house of bullshit comes crumbling down but since no one will have basic skills anymore we'll all be helpless.

Russian and european economists have been predicting that fall for awhile and we're starting to see the beginnings of it. But we have the market elites telling us about all this new cool tech coming so no one sees whats about to happen. These dudes like zuckerburg who are pushing for universal income, they're not doing so because they give a fuck about a whole lot of us. They just know that without universal income they're prob gonna have to.split outta town at some point

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Better tell that to Uber,  cab and truck drivers.   Those few million jobs will be obsolete in a decade.   

It is nearly impossible to have a computer operate an 18 wheeler safely. There are way way too many obstructions and variables involved. Road conditons, weather, idiot drivers, are just a few examples. 

Unless they put trucks on rails like trains. Automated trucking isn’t going to happen in 10 years. 

28 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

It is nearly impossible to have a computer operate an 18 wheeler safely. There are way way too many obstructions and variables involved. Road conditons, weather, idiot drivers, are just a few examples. 

Unless they put trucks on rails like trains. Automated trucking isn’t going to happen in 10 years. 

Oh yes it will. But what u say isnt wrong, no ur absolutely right...but the dreamers of an automated world dont care. Those few fuckups are just the price of progress. You gotta break a few eggs to make an ommelette. They give no fucks about a handful of automation caused pileups a year....with politicians firmly in their pockets....

42 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Maybe I"m being a little bold on that part , but you sure as hell didn't refute the other industries I mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

But capitalism is awesome. A multi billion dollar company would rather have robots flipping burgers than pay employees some semblance of a meaningful wage. They can easily afford it, but that would take away from their stock dividends....and wall street is god so thats that. One day the u.s wont be able to print mobey out of thin air then this wall street business will start to fold a bit, than this house of bullshit comes crumbling down but since no one will have basic skills anymore we'll all be helpless.

Russian and european economists have been predicting that fall for awhile and we're starting to see the beginnings of it. But we have the market elites telling us about all this new cool tech coming so no one sees whats about to happen. These dudes like zuckerburg who are pushing for universal income, they're not doing so because they give a fuck about a whole lot of us. They just know that without universal income they're prob gonna have to.split outta town at some point

Cry about it all you want but there are very few people on the left the right or anywhere who will voluntarily pay another penny for a product because it was built by human beings in America.

WSS

6 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Cry about it all you want but there are very few people on the left the right or anywhere who will voluntarily pay another penny for a product because it was built by human beings in America.

WSS

Well, when the tax base has shrunk so noticeably in this country from excess automation... we'll chat then.            But then again that would require conscious forethought by millions of people in this nation.   Sadly given the numbers that voted for Hillary and Trump, you're right, not likely to find those people en mass.

33 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Well, when the tax base has shrunk so noticeably in this country from excess automation... we'll chat then.            But then again that would require conscious forethought by millions of people in this nation.   Sadly given the numbers that voted for Hillary and Trump, you're right, not likely to find those people en mass.

Just for the hell of it who was there to vote for besides Hillary and Trump that would have put the brakes on progress? I'm not kidding. The Japanese overtook the American car makers when they modernize their factories and we won't overtake them until we modernize ours. That means more automation. Would it be nice if you needed thousands of man hours to build a car? Or anything? Maybe. But it's not that way and there's nothing we can do to stop it. Another by-product is a fact that we're keeping people alive a lot longer with nothing for them to do but collect Social Security. Dystopia? 

WSS

Archived