THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley beats Mayfield for Offensive Rookie of the Year

Dutch Oven

# 2 is a high pick for a running back. Of course, # 1 is a ridiculous pick for a “short, brash, Johnnyesque” QB that should have been Rookie of the Year. Congrats to both of these excellent young men on their seasons. That said.... an RB can’t get his team to the playoffs. A Heisman winning, dart throwing, lazer eyed QB can and will in 2019. Go Browns

The ONLY reason Barkley won OROY over a much more deserving Mayfield was one played in "The Center of the Universe" and one played in Cleveland. Browns went from 0 wins to 7 and pick #1 to #17 with and because of Baker. Giants went from 5 wins to 5 wins and pick #2 to #6.

I think Baker should have won. That being said, Saquon had a brilliant season, won ROY, & is to be congratulated, but Baker is the MVP of all these rookies & it's not even close.

We have the best!

Mike

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Let's offer the Giants Baker Mayfield for Barkley and their first and second round pick. Who wants to bet they say yes in a New York Minute?

WSS

Now Ghoulies on Face book pretty saying Baker is average (Brian Sipe).. I told him RB's are a dime a dozen lol

29 minutes ago, Vambo said:

I would like to say thank you Baker and the rest of the team and front office for making football in Cleveland fun to watch again.

Thanks. Welcome & you're off to a good start!

Mike

I think Baker deserved it.  What he did to transform an offense from losers to winners was more than what Barkley did.  Barkley is great also though.

So now, Baker will have that snub on his shoulder throughout his career.  And we've seen how he uses that kind of stuff for motivation. 

-  Perhaps it's the best thing that could've happened for us Browns fans.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

The ONLY reason Barkley won OROY over a much more deserving Mayfield was one played in "The Center of the Universe" and one played in Cleveland. Browns went from 0 wins to 7 and pick #1 to #17 with and because of Baker. Giants went from 5 wins to 5 wins and pick #2 to #6.

Nah- here's my take on that.. The Colin Cow-Pies of the world with a vote didn't like Bakers "attitude"....  I heard it was 26-21 Barkley, almost exactly the ratio I heard before the vote was formally announced. There's no criteria putting a reason why you can vote one way or the other.... 

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I think Baker should have won. That being said, Saquon had a brilliant season, won ROY, & is to be congratulated, but Baker is the MVP of all these rookies & it's not even close.

We have the best!

Mike

Exactly Mike.  As Steve said, the Giants would happily trade Saquon to the Browns if Baker was available- which he's not.  :)  

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Now Ghoulies on Face book pretty saying Baker is average (Brian Sipe).. I told him RB's are a dime a dozen lol

& that's the reason why Ghoolie is no longer around, spewing flamebait crap like that...  

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Plus the toughest position to play in all team sports is the NFL starting quarterback especially as a rookie.

The choice is a joke. (And yes Barkley is a fine player.)

Its all bs..we know it...the fans know it.  Its all about the money.  Ny has it...cleveland doesnt.  Just like the rams are going to win the superbowl because the nfl wants that LA money.  

Saquon was definately in the conversation...but he even has to honestly know he finished second in the fans eyes.

6 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Its all bs..we know it...the fans know it.  Its all about the money.  Ny has it...cleveland doesnt.  Just like the rams are going to win the superbowl because the nfl wants that LA money.  

Saquon was definately in the conversation...but he even has to honestly know he finished second in the fans eyes.

For me.. It just doesnt add up.. 5 wins does NOT equal 7.. Secondly the TD ratio is not even comparable.. its a farce is what it is.. Asshole reporters..

Trying to be objective and not a homer

Barkley was one of the 3 best RB's in the NFL this year, Barkley had over 2000 yards from scrim, 15 TD's and 90+ receptions, 2nd in the league in rushing, 3rd in rec for RB's

Baker was what the 22nd best QB in the league via Total QBR, 24th in completion %, 17th in yards, 11th in TD's, 5th most in INT's, 11th in YPA, 18th in rating

So although he was our mvp...he probably wasnt the tru rookie of the year.

Eyes opened 😬

4 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Barkley was one of the 3 best RB's in the NFL this year, Barkley had over 2000 yards from scrim, 15 TD's and 90+ receptions, 2nd in the league in rushing, 3rd in rec for RB's

Baker was what the 22nd best QB in the league via Total QBR, 24th in completion %, 17th in yards, 11th in TD's, 5th most in INT's, 11th in YPA, 18th in rating

Eyes opened 😬

Baloney!

7 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Eyes opened 😬

Barkley got to play in all 16 games, I think Baker accomplished more in less time.

7 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Eyes opened 😬

How dare you use logic and reason to make your point.... 

14 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

We have the best!

Mike

Great points Mike!   Both franchises got great players that made them very happy.  That said, only 1 of the franchises still needs a QB in order to get out of park - and it's not Cleveland (even though this should NOT be the main criteria for ROTY).  This is the first year I remembered Andrew Luck getting reasonable protection in the pocket, which produced 39 TD passes to just 15 INTs instead of the bumps and bruises of a crash test dummy. Much of that was from the arrival of rookie OG Quenton Nelson who also helped their running game inside and outside. Without glamour stats pleading his case, he didn't stand much of a chance to win. My reason for bringing him up is that nothing can change the profound impact of him or Baker on their offense in spite of not winning the award. FWIW, if you go take a look at what Chubb's rushing stats were projecting with his 5.2 ypc if he started all 16 games - it betters Barkley's rushing yardage like I clearly predicted in Dutch's 18 questions thread.  Barkley finished with 1307 rush yards with 69 more carries than Chubb (69 x Chubb's 5.2 ypc = 358.80 yards).  Adding that 358.80 yards to Chubb's 996 rushing yards brings him up to 1354.80 yards.  He also had 11 carries over 20 yards which projected well for him if he started all 16 games.  And that doesn't suck...

Understanding this team was winless after 2 games and behind in the 2nd quarter in week 3 (after 0-16 in 2017) - the CPR this franchise so desperately needed was given by Baker Mayfield.  He came in and threw more TD passes (27) as a rookie in just 13 starts than any other QB in NFL history inclusive of former NFL Rookie of the Year - Peyton Manning (who threw 26 TD passes and 28 INTs).  Manning had 2 HOF players in his first huddle (Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison) aside from himself. Baker also threw less INTs (14) and won more games than Manning for whatever it's worth.  That's pretty freakin cool!   And if we look as recently as last year - both conferences crowned a ROTY on both sides of the ball (that could easily have Baker's name on 1 of them).  Have they announced these Conference award recipients yet?  Once they acknowledge and announce what should be a foregone conclusion in the AFC - I think it would take away some of the sting people are feeling from yesterday. 

8 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Eyes opened 😬

Barkley had a sensational rookie season, but for a Quarterback to perform that well as a rookie is virtually unheard of.

He had one of the greatest rookie seasons of a QB in all time, threw more TD passes then any rookie QB ever in 13 starts.

He took a winless team to the cusp of playoff contention, even with his first coach being fired at midseason.

That type of performance from the most important position on the field was more impressive than Barkley's terrific running back season IMO.

He came off the bench for a team that hadn't won a game in 19 straight contests and won 7 games and tossed 28 TDs. Cmon!

Z

9 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Eyes opened 😬

I have a much different take. Barkley was awarded 1 rookie of the week. Mayfield was awarded 7! Honeslty one shouldnt have to make argument beyond that. That said Barkley was ONE OF THREE rookie RB in history with over 2000 yards total offense. Mayfield is THE ONLY rookie QB in history to throw 27 TD’s and he did it in 14 games beating out full seasons of Peyton and Wilson. The voting shouldn’t have been close, should have been a Baker landslide. 

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I have a much different take. Barkley was awarded 1 rookie of the week. Mayfield was awarded 7! Honeslty one shouldnt have to make argument beyond that. That said Barkley was ONE OF THREE rookie RB in history with over 2000 yards total offense. Mayfield is THE ONLY rookie QB in history to throw 27 TD’s and he did it in 14 games beating out full seasons of Peyton and Wilson. The voting shouldn’t have been close, should have been a Baker landslide. 

Hell I am not sure that I would trade Nick Chubb for Saquon Barkley. If you took their pro Rata share of production chub may be just as good given the amount of time each of them saw. 

Archived