THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the Super Bowl

Zombo

I've had this prediction in my head all week and I have to get it out. Exact score and everything.

First off, I'm not a Patriots hater. I love the Browns. I hate the Steelers and Ravens. I do not like the Bengals or Cowboys. Other than that, it comes down to players, and rarely, coaches. There's guys I usually ended up rooting for like Bret Favre and Peyton Manning, because I liked the way they played. There's guys I rooted against like Big Ben and Ray Lewis (there's those teams again) because I think they're dicks, and fake. Coaches rarely sway me, unless Schottenheimer was still coaching, I admired him.

Other than that I am pretty neutral. I like to watch the games and make my predictions based on what I see on the field.  When it comes to the Super Bowl, I will root against a team winning the SB before the Browns do (Eagles last year) or a team approaching Browns championship records ... but that does not play into my prediction, just my rooting.

As for the Patriots, I'd like to think I have the appropriate amount of respect, without being an ass kisser. I think Brady is a terrific player and has earned all of his accolades. I think Belichick is the greatest coach of our times, and as a Browns fan, I think he was building something great here, which was sabotaged by Modell. I don't get into the whole "cheating" thing, I think all teams try their best to get an edge, and will get away with what they can. I like when they beat the Steelers, I admire their process to stay on top every year, but I don't "root" for them ... they are still just another team to me, not the Browns, not the Steelers or the Ravens, just another team in our conference like when Steve Grogan was their QB. Just a whole lot better.

I guess I say all this, so that my prediction isn't cast aside as some sort of Patriots hate or jealousy. It is not. 

I think the Rams are going to house them. Because the Rams are loaded.

New England versus Los Angeles Rams, 6:30 PM, Super Bowl LIII

Bill B is famously takes away what you do best. He's got a tough call to make this week, because the Rams do everything well. My guess is, the Pats decide to pressure Goff, and the Rams counter with a bruising running attack early, and when the Pats make adjustments, Goff carves them up. Defensively, Wade Phillips contains Brady early. With the Rams holding a marginal lead, there will be a big turnover or special teams play in the Rams favor and the route will be on. Think Raiders/Buccaneers Super Bowl. The Bucs were just so much more athletic. That is the case this week. Talent blows away coaching and experience. RAMS 41 PATRIOTS 13

The Rams are like Kate Upton ... I keep looking, but I can't find the flaw

orig

25 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I've had this prediction in my head all week and I have to get it out. Exact score and everything.

First off, I'm not a Patriots hater. I love the Browns. I hate the Steelers and Ravens. I do not like the Bengals or Cowboys. Other than that, it comes down to players, and rarely, coaches. There's guys I usually ended up rooting for like Bret Favre and Peyton Manning, because I liked the way they played. There's guys I rooted against like Big Ben and Ray Lewis (there's those teams again) because I think they're dicks, and fake. Coaches rarely sway me, unless Schottenheimer was still coaching, I admired him.

Other than that I am pretty neutral. I like to watch the games and make my predictions based on what I see on the field.  When it comes to the Super Bowl, I will root against a team winning the SB before the Browns do (Eagles last year) or a team approaching Browns championship records ... but that does not play into my prediction, just my rooting.

As for the Patriots, I'd like to think I have the appropriate amount of respect, without being an ass kisser. I think Brady is a terrific player and has earned all of his accolades. I think Belichick is the greatest coach of our times, and as a Browns fan, I think he was building something great here, which was sabotaged by Modell. I don't get into the whole "cheating" thing, I think all teams try their best to get an edge, and will get away with what they can. I like when they beat the Steelers, I admire their process to stay on top every year, but I don't "root" for them ... they are still just another team to me, not the Browns, not the Steelers or the Ravens, just another team in our conference like when Steve Grogan was their QB. Just a whole lot better.

I guess I say all this, so that my prediction isn't cast aside as some sort of Patriots hate or jealousy. It is not. 

I think the Rams are going to house them. Because the Rams are loaded.

New England versus Los Angeles Rams, 6:30 PM, Super Bowl LIII

Bill B is famously takes away what you do best. He's got a tough call to make this week, because the Rams do everything well. My guess is, the Pats decide to pressure Goff, and the Rams counter with a bruising running attack early, and when the Pats make adjustments, Goff carves them up. Defensively, Wade Phillips contains Brady early. With the Rams holding a marginal lead, there will be a big turnover or special teams play in the Rams favor and the route will be on. Think Raiders/Buccaneers Super Bowl. The Bucs were just so much more athletic. That is the case this week. Talent blows away coaching and experience. RAMS 41 PATRIOTS 13

The Rams are like Kate Upton ... I keep looking, but I can't find the flaw

orig

I dunno....it seems that Kate has a bit of a pot gut on her here......but who is looking there.  (of course, now, I hear, she is prego).

I too have no actual animosity to the Patriots, per se.  Other than that I am bored to pieces with them.   You know I always prefer it when teams that have not won in a long time get a title.  (so...unlike you...I was glad to see an Eagles win).  I recognize...and admire Brady for being right up there in consideration for the GOAT.   And I recognize that BB is likely a good coach......but I also recognize that he is often an ASS,  and I have said that I think much of his success is because he has had Brady at QB..   If not for Brady...his teams would be playoff competitive....but certainly not  9 Super Bowls competitive.  

So....who do I like?   I would like the Rams...just because, as I said, the Pats are boring me.  But I by no means  think it will a Rams blowout like you do. NO Pats Super Bowl game has ever been a blowout.  These are the scores of each of the Pats SB games...in the Brady/BB era:

Pats 20  Rams 17

Pats 32  Panthers 29

Pats 24 Eagles 21

Giants 17  Pats 14

Giants 21 Pats 17

Pats 28  Seahawks 24

Pats 34  Falcons 28

Eagles 41  Pats  33

so...as you can see EVERY single Super Bowl they have been in has been a one possession game...the largest margin of victory being just 8 points.  4 times they have been 3 pt. games, twice a 4 pt. game.  one 6 pt.  one 8 pt.

I expect that to be the case again.  Whoever wins will win closely.   It will surprise me if it is not.

So.... I want the Rams to win.....but the Pats have at least a 50/50 chance to do so....and yes, I like Kate's tits.  

Z, a 28 point diferential? I think that bet is way too risky... Only 6 times in the Superbowl the margin of victory has been higher than 27 points. https://www.ryansleeper.com/super-bowl-margins-victory/

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

Unfortunately, fans these days don’t recognize anything other than ‘Super Bowl’ victories. But I’m there with you Gip, Baker will make it nine for us very soon. 

A huge percentage of Americans are stupid about a lot of things  (as you can plainly tell from certain circumstances).  That does not mean that we should pander to their ignorance, does it? 

84873d62f6e862e62deecf3c098f0faf.jpg

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

Unfortunately, fans these days don’t recognize anything other than ‘Super Bowl’ victories. But I’m there with you Gip, Baker will make it nine for us very soon. 

Nine for the Browns....but Northeast Ohio has 13 as it stands.....another would make that 14.

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Z, a 28 point diferential? I think that bet is way too risky... Only 6 times in the Superbowl the margin of victory has been higher than 27 points. https://www.ryansleeper.com/super-bowl-margins-victory/

Again, I see a Tampa Bay/ Raiders type game ... that one was 27.

Zombo

I'm anti-Rams because of Enos Stanley Kroenke...a St. Louis native who was named after Enos Slaughter and Stan Musial. Married a Wal Mart heiress and pulled an Art Modell, with HER money. (And Jerry Jones loves the guy)

Plus, like I wrote a few weeks ago....who angers Steeler fans the most? Tom Brady.

Pats 30

Rams 26

I think I mentioned in another thread, this is the least interesting Super Bowl for me in a long time, as I dislike both teams equally, for different reasons. Patriots have already gotten their share of wins to last the next 50 years, and I have no love for Carpetbagger Kroenke and his rovin' Rams. I'm more looking forward to the good wines we'll be having, and hanging out with friends than the game itself. First time in a long time I can honestly say that.

Don't really care, or have a feeling who's going to win. How about four overtimes, so the NFL can cash in on extra commercials? Bud lite will be very happy with all the extra beer that will be swilled.

My key to the game will be if the Rams can get serious pressure on Brady. If they can't, New England wins.

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I'm anti-Rams because of Enos Stanley Kroenke...a St. Louis native who was named after Enos Slaughter and Stan Musial. Married a Wal Mart heiress and pulled an Art Modell, with HER money. (And Jerry Jones loves the guy)

Plus, like I wrote a few weeks ago....who angers Steeler fans the most? Tom Brady.

Pats 30

Rams 26

Well....I can understand that.    

But the question is not Who (currently) angers Steeler fans most....it is who WILL be angering Steeler fans most...in the next few years. 

(and let's strike Andy Dalton and Lamar Jackson from this answer)

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....I can understand that.    

But the question is not Who (currently) angers Steeler fans most....it is who WILL be angering Steeler fans most...in the next few years. 

(and let's strike Andy Dalton and Lamar Jackson from this answer)

That's our hope for sure. 

12 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Pats 30

Rams 26

Wouldn't it be fitting if Stan's new $2 billion dollar pleasure palace is empty a few years down the road if the Rams start losing again?

I've said in many respects Kroenke is worse than Modell, Art wasn't originally from Cleveland, and St Louis was doing everything they could to keep the Rams. Stan flipped the city the bird on the way out of town.

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Wouldn't it be fitting if Stan's new $2 billion dollar pleasure palace is empty a few years down the road if the Rams start losing again?

I've said in many respects Kroenke is worse than Modell, Art wasn't originally from Cleveland, and St Louis was doing everything they could to keep the Rams. Stan flipped the city the bird on the way out of town.

But then so did Bill Bidwill when he left St. Louis.   The Cardinals should have stayed there.

I have to admit, this was the year my opinion changed on the Patriots. I mean obviously I would have preferred some "new blood" but this Patriots team had ALL the makings of finally declining. I was listening to a great radio session from the guy who literally wrote that new book about Bill B, and he went into really good detail about this. There was a TON of smoke about Bill and Brady being so at odds both were thinking about moving on as late as into training camp. And yet, somehow they are in this position again to win the whole damn thing. It's incredibly impressive and almost in a macabre way has me rooting for them. 

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But then so did Bill Bidwill when he left St. Louis.   The Cardinals should have stayed there.

And screw Arizona while we're at it. :) Not exactly packing them in, #25 in attendance.   http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

Who's next to the bottom just above the soccer stadium Chargers?  The stinking fairest of fairweather fans of the Cincinnati Bengals. It still irks me- since  the Brown family has more sense of loyalty in one of their toes than Art Modell had in his entire body, if any team should have moved when Baltimore & Maryland hung out their bribe, it should have been the Bengals, not the Browns. It would have saved me $300 bucks a year, because I wouldn't have needed Sunday Ticket...  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

The sad thing about that Gipper is with the Rams leaving, the odds of St. Louis getting another NFL team in the near future are nonexistent...  Even though there's 12 cities\areas with NFL teams in smaller markets....  Have several close friends who live in the St.Louis area- and according to them, the general populace is  so pissed off at Kroenke in particular, and the NFL in general, they're done for good with NFL football...  There's always the (baseball) Cardinals.... 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Again, I see a Tampa Bay/ Raiders type game ... that one was 27.

Zombo

Barring the Rams doing a Theismann number on Brady's leg early on in the game- I just don't see it Z....  Brady tore the equally decent to my mind (and statistically better in the regular season than the Rams) Charger's defense apart.  Unless you want to attribute the Chargers el foldo in New England to jet lag....  

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And screw Arizona while we're at it. :) Not exactly packing them in, #25 in attendance.   http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

Who's next to the bottom just above the soccer stadium Chargers?  The stinking fairest of fairweather fans of the Cincinnati Bengals. It still irks me- since  the Brown family has more sense of loyalty in one of their toes than Art Modell had in his entire body, if any team should have moved when Baltimore & Maryland hung out their bribe, it should have been the Bengals, not the Browns. It would have saved me $300 bucks a year, because I wouldn't have needed Sunday Ticket...  

Well...its the whole fucking game of dominoes:   Colts should've never left Baltimore;   Rams never left LA, Cards never left St. Louis,  Raiders should never have left LA.   Chargers should never have left San Diego.  Oilers should never have left Houston;    That was just all a game of blackmail between NFL owners/commish  and the cities they were in.  

If the NFL had done the proper thing:   expand when it should have.....OR, merged with the USFL....none of this would have happened.  Arizona Wranglers would have entered the league,  Memphis Showboats (for Tenn.),  Jacksonville Bulls,  Baltimore Stars,  these teams would have filled spots that have since been taken up by movement/expansion.   Even that may have not stopped greedy owners from partnering with  other teamless cities to blackmail other cities. 

In 1980 the NFL had  28 teams...they now have 32.... so, even with taking in the 4 USFL teams mentioned above,  there would still be cities wanting teams.

Charlotte likely would have been out there...and Indy (assuming that the Colts did not move...if they had moved....Baltimore would have had the Stars) 

But there were...and are...other markets that could have....or still could make a play for a team:   Portland,  Birmingham, Nashville would have been the open market rather than Memphis, and a second team in LA....which now the Chargers have played the blackmail game with.

My first impulse right after the AFC/NFC games and I'm sticking with it......GO RAMS! (I guess.) :unsure:

Screenshot_2019-01-31-16-40-54.png

I like to look at both SB rosters, to see if or where our building blocks compare..Were getting closer. At least with the big picture of drafting guys that could produce. We will start with the Pats-- 16 FA's, 4 were Pats original pickups.10 1st round draft picks on roster, 5 of which the Pats drafted. S Gilmore 1.10 from Bills. and D.Shelton 1.12 from Browns highest draft picks on Pats. Seems Belicheck likes having other teams pay Signing Bonuses.. The Rams--14 FA's, also 4 were Rams original pickups.11 1st round draft picks on roster, 4 of which the Rams drafted. Goff 1.1, Suh 1.2 (Lions), D. Fowler 1.3 (Jags),  M.Baron 1.7(TB), T.Gurley 1.10 are Rams highest picks .Seems the Rams worked the high end street crowd of FA's after QB was in place. The Browns--21 FA's, 6 were Browns original pickups. 9 1st round draft picks on roster, 5 of which Browns drafted. 1.1 Garrett, 1.1 Baker, 1.2 G.Robinson (Rams), 1.4 D.Ward, 1.25 J.Peppers, 1.26 Perriman (Balt), 1.27 K.Zeitler (Cinn.), 1.29 D.Njoku, 1.30 D.Randall (GB)..Should be exciting to see which path JD travels next..... I can't pass on a GOAT for a Goff, not just yet..but close.. Pats-33 Rams-31

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I like to look at both SB rosters, to see if or where our building blocks compare..Were getting closer. At least with the big picture of drafting guys that could produce. We will start with the Pats-- 16 FA's, 4 were Pats original pickups.10 1st round draft picks on roster, 5 of which the Pats drafted. S Gilmore 1.10 from Bills. and D.Shelton 1.12 from Browns highest draft picks on Pats. Seems Belicheck likes having other teams pay Signing Bonuses.. The Rams--14 FA's, also 4 were Rams original pickups.11 1st round draft picks on roster, 4 of which the Rams drafted. Goff 1.1, Suh 1.2 (Lions), D. Fowler 1.3 (Jags),  M.Baron 1.7(TB), T.Gurley 1.10 are Rams highest picks .Seems the Rams worked the high end street crowd of FA's after QB was in place. The Browns--21 FA's, 6 were Browns original pickups. 9 1st round draft picks on roster, 5 of which Browns drafted. 1.1 Garrett, 1.1 Baker, 1.2 G.Robinson (Rams), 1.4 D.Ward, 1.25 J.Peppers, 1.26 Perriman (Balt), 1.27 K.Zeitler (Cinn.), 1.29 D.Njoku, 1.30 D.Randall (GB)..Should be exciting to see which path JD travels next..... I can't pass on a GOAT for a Goff, not just yet..but close.. Pats-33 Rams-31

There is only ONE block that you need to look at on the Pats:   Tom  Brady.

IMO...without him the Pats stand at -0- Super Bowl titles.

In the past, I've made it clear that I despise buttichek. He sucked with the Browns,started winning with the Pats, yada yada...

I hate the Patriots. I despise Gronk - who pushes off more than a thug in a pickup basketball game.

So, I have always picked against the Patriots, and most of the time I lost my 2 dollar bets with our best friends daughter who LOVES the Patriots and Brady.

But, even though I won't watch the game, at least til well after the slutty half time, I'm finallyrooting a hundred percent for the Pats.

The Rams should never have been there. That no call was just - I refuse to cut the imho, corrupt, referee any slack.

The Patriots will win - unless they start calling Gronk for pushing off (yes, I know he's one of the great ones), or they let the rams oline hold more than they did in the playoff game.

Patriots 30 Rams 24

after that no call - something stinks in NFL commishioner land.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/27/referee-from-rams-saints-debacle-confronted-at-his-other-job/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_3736010

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

In the past, I've made it clear that I despise buttichek. He sucked with the Browns,started winning with the Pats, yada yada...

I hate the Patriots. I despise Gronk - who pushes off more than a thug in a pickup basketball game.

So, I have always picked against the Patriots, and most of the time I lost my 2 dollar bets with our best friends daughter who LOVES the Patriots and Brady.

But, even though I won't watch the game, at least til well after the slutty half time, I'm finallyrooting a hundred percent for the Pats.

The Rams should never have been there. That no call was just - I refuse to cut the imho, corrupt, referee any slack.

The Patriots will win - unless they start calling Gronk for pushing off (yes, I know he's one of the great ones), or they let the rams oline hold more than they did in the playoff game.

Patriots 30 Rams 24

after that no call - something stinks in NFL commishioner land.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/27/referee-from-rams-saints-debacle-confronted-at-his-other-job/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_3736010

They BOTH shouldn't be there Cal. Brady got a gift drive sustaining roughing the passer call where he barely got touched...  Call it the REF Bowl...   If they blow a call as bad as the Rams- Pats in the big game, it may finally get the league to do something about the lousy officiating that was rampant this past year.  Remember the no-call in the Browns Chargers game where LaLa got a gift Touchdown when one of their O-line jumped offside by a mile before the snap? Or the helmet hit on Baker in the Tampa game with no call?  

You almost want to say it was fixed to get the teams the NFL "wanted" to be in the Super Bowl.... 

I seriously question why some of you even watch sports anymore.

Some of you bitch and moan constantly about how all sports are fixed, all pro leagues are fixing it so their golden child franchises win and all of them have vendettas vs Cleveland teams. 

I don't get it. If you really feel this, why do you bother watching them?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

all of them have vendettas vs Cleveland teams. 

I don't get it. If you really feel this, why do you bother watching them?

do you prefer a ref to tell your team "it's ok for bake to take a ear-hole hit cause he was still a runner"? than to wave off the flag?  that kind of garbage only happened in the XFL..the homer was not suspended for not knowing the rules cause his last name was Hochuli..vendetta's? no.. but damn, at least know the rules ya get paid for...  

All I know is.. This is the least interested I have felt about the Super Bowl.. Mainly because #1.. I can't stand Bill.. #2. The Rams have a fan base who really doesn't give a shit that they're in a Super Bowl led by a shit ass owner....

Archived