THE BROWNS BOARD

The Combine

darren15

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

My point is small doesn't matter anymore.  The spread has entered the NFL as I predicted 10 years ago.  Don't underestimate Murray because he seems short.

I'd take Murray over Haskins.   He's a better player.

Yes, it does.   Just dismissing it yet despite a lot of evidence to the contrary...?  Not wise.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

tell me this does not have the sounds of tampering? 1)Klingberry hired 1-8-19.2) Murray commits to 🤔 football 2-11-19.than Bulks for the numbers. 3) Murray announces he will do nothing at combine but measurements & interviews. 4) Zona GM plays the part of a idiot at presser "Rosen is our QB right now?" 5) Rosen deletes all his Zona post on Instagram claiming he was hacked? Edit--Before Wilks was fired at Zona, Patrick Peterson wanted out & Fitzgerald was considering retiring. Now both can't wait to play in Zona..a) they hated playing for Wilks or b) Rosen? Rumors are rolling, Rosen will be traded..  I seriously hope the combine broadcast sticks to the other players..It's been Murray-Mania every 20 mins.

I pray they are just that stupid. 

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

I was expecting Murray to weigh in at less than 200. He obviously bulked up. Will he run the 40 at that weight?

But Baker is 3" taller. OK, he's Russell Wilson sized- but he sure doesn't have Wilson's build. 

Just glad we don't have to worry about drafting him. If we were in the QB market this year, I'd be wanting Dwayne Haskins instead, and it wouldn't even be close.

No he is not participating in any events which to me shows that he really bulked up just so he could weigh in heavier and he knows that it would be detrimental to his 40 time and maybe even him throwing the ball. I expect him to look much thinner at his pro day when he partakes in these events and doesn't have to weigh in

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

A lot of people on this board were saying much the same about Baker last year.

Time will tell if Murray will be good or not.

Murray and Baker are similar in that they are both shorter stature and both played quarterback at Oklahoma. As far as actually throwing the ball Dwayne Haskins and Baker much more similar. In NFL obviously you have to have a strong arm but not a cannon just strong enough to get ball in tight windows. The NFL is going more towards accuracy and those two guys are both very accurate. Kyler put up good numbers accuracy wise but it was because he extended a lot of plays outside the pocket and that is a lot harder to do at the NFL level. he didn't throw with great accuracy from inside the pocket.

My above two post look like I'm criticizing Murray a lot but I am thrilled to death that he measured in at what he did because that is at least one more player not at a position of Need For Us that is definitely going to be taken before we draft at seventeen which means one guy that does fit for us may fall one extra spot.

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

My point is small doesn't matter anymore.  The spread has entered the NFL as I predicted 10 years ago.  Don't underestimate Murray because he seems short.

I'd take Murray over Haskins.   He's a better player.

Sorry if I'm an Ohio State Homer. Care to bet? I have Haskins going ahead of Murray. (just about every mock I've seen does too) Saw plenty of Dwayne. Scouts rave about his football IQ, Mayfield level arm, he's plenty accurate enough, and mobile enough. To my mind Kyler is a smaller version of Lamar Jackson, maybe a tad more accuracy. He tries running like Jackson, assuming he de-bulks- he's gonna get killed in short order. Checking- Lamar is 6' 3", 212, and didn't have to bulk up to get to that weight... 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Yes, it does.   Just dismissing it yet despite a lot of evidence to the contrary...?  Not wise.

Too early to say (with only Russell Wilson as the current outlier) that less than 6' for a qb doesn't matter anymore. Murray succeeds, scouts and NFL GMs will start changing their minds.  

Another thing about Murray in comparison to Mayfield is Baker had a lot more college starts than Kyler. Yeah, I know Trubisky was another of the outliers in the Parcells' major predictors of NFL success...  But then Mitch is 6' 2", and I raved about his accuracy coming out...  

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

Kyler didn't throw with great accuracy from inside the pocket.

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

But then Mitch is 6' 2", and I raved about his accuracy coming out...  

YJxY.gif    well,Mitch did find a new receiver... https://bustedcoverage.com/2019/02/26/mitch-trubisky-new-girlfriend/ 50/50 to complete      

Dorsey loves explosion at OL.. Andre Dillard who we interviewed is 6'5" 315 with a 1.70 10 yard split(that's like sick at 315) 4.99 40( 2nd 40= 1.69/4.97)..we have a 40 time leader at T..Bradberry is so dang smooth also (A.Mack 2.0) both OL group 1 winners. did not like the open hips nor kick feet of Cajuste,Deiter nor Edwards

Remember that Aggie center I said had the speed and pulling ability for G or C in the NFL? EriK McCoy just posted the fastest 40 time for OL's in the combine this year @ 4.90. If we have other needs in DL and/or ILB taken care of in FA, we need to seriously consider this very versatile OL for the Browns. DJ likes him a lot. Also smart enough to have graduated early and is coming out after his Jr year. He ran the OL on the field. I think he is talented enough to play from the C thru G to RT. We know versatility is one thing Buddy Boy is looking for.

Edit 2nd run was 4.89 and still fastest.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Remember that Aggie center I said had the speed and pulling ability for G or C in the NFL? EriK McCoy just posted the fastest 40 time for OL's in the combine this year @ 4.90. If we have other needs in DL and/or ILB taken care of in FA, we need to seriously consider this very versatile OL for the Browns. DJ likes him a lot. Also smart enough to have graduated early and is coming out after his Jr year. He ran the OL on the field. I think he is talented enough to play from the C thru G to RT. We know versatility is one thing Buddy Boy is looking for.

Edit 2nd run was 4.89 and still fastest.

Targeting him will depend on Dorsey's opinion on how well he thinks Corbett can play center- he's currently listed as Bitonio's backup at guard.  I doubt McCoy will be there in the third round. MHO is we need to look at upgrades on DL, CB, LB, and maybe WR before we start worrying about OL depth. And yup, some mocks have us taking one of the top OTs in the first round.... 

am not even eliminating TE from this deep TE class..we know jd is not thrilled with njoku blocking. DeValve is more than replaceable in this draft & not known for his blocking (or lasting a season)..we rolled several  TE's thru PS last season & Fells is 32 at 2.6M this next season going to 3.6 in 2020. Orson Charlse is a RFA now at age 28..a Blocking Catching TE would not be a surprise if some fall to 5th..

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Kid from Iowa, Fant, just ran a 4.51.    Hot damn. 

match-up nightmare..size,speed, high jumper in HS. a sneaky good choice on Freddies staff is OQCC Jim Dray..school of Ferentz blocking can't hurt..interested to see Fant's 3-cone ? (6.81)👀  edit--this TE coach running drills..he's solid..Irv Smith jr. does gauntlet drills in his sleep(sick smooth)

Well, if you're looking at another vertical threat for speed alone - Parris Campbell is certainly on the Browns radar.   Was incredibly surprised by his footwork.  It's fantastic and smooth.  Kid can play all over the formation and will be a real steal.   Might end up being a Santonio Holmes type deal and slides into the 1st round. 

I know Parris is only about 6' tall, but his ability is huge. But he's a football player, and could be as much a surprise

as Michael Thomas, though Thomas was 6'3"

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I didn't watch.  Who ran the gauntlet the best?    (that tells who can 'really' catch the ball)

youtube it or it will be on again & again up to 9am sunday..hard to tell, it was done well..TE's Irv Smith jr slightly over Fant maybe..Loads of mid round WR's did well..(ya got to see Steve Smith tell the QB from buffalo to "ice up son, on them lasers from 10 yards" 🤣)

12 minutes ago, Orion said:

There's a youtube on the TE's gauntlet.....but we've got TE's up the wazoo.  

TE's is all that's up right now..after Njoke & a aging 32 year old in Fells were garbage, right? *buddy boy* 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Rewatched Haskins throws.    You can forget about Murray being the 1st QB off the board unless Kingsbury wants to commit career suicide.  

3 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Haskins is a traditional QB. Murray is more of a fit in Kingsbury’s offense which is why the belief if Murray going number 1 and Cardinals possibly trading Rosen. (Dolphins maybe)

I'll agree with tia- Murray #1 overall is insane. Is he that much better than Lamar Jackson, who lasted until the end of the 1st round? Make that double doo-doo, because they already have Rosen. I will literally bust a gut laughing if the Schmardinals trade Rosen and he winds up being a better NFL QB than Murray. Sounds like something the pre Dorsey Browns would do- and that IMHO would top anything from that era. 

But from a Browns homer perspective, Murray going #1 overall is the cat's meow. Is Rosen worth what some other QB needy team that drafts ahead of the Browns at #17 be willing to pay? Absolutely in my book. Haskins will be long gone too. So that will make at least 3 top defenders fall down the board into our lap.  

On 2/28/2019 at 10:42 PM, hoorta said:

Sorry if I'm an Ohio State Homer. Care to bet? I have Haskins going ahead of Murray. (just about every mock I've seen does too) Saw plenty of Dwayne. Scouts rave about his football IQ, Mayfield level arm, he's plenty accurate enough, and mobile enough. To my mind Kyler is a smaller version of Lamar Jackson, maybe a tad more accuracy. He tries running like Jackson, assuming he de-bulks- he's gonna get killed in short order. Checking- Lamar is 6' 3", 212, and didn't have to bulk up to get to that weight... 

Too early to say (with only Russell Wilson as the current outlier) that less than 6' for a qb doesn't matter anymore. Murray succeeds, scouts and NFL GMs will start changing their minds.  

Another thing about Murray in comparison to Mayfield is Baker had a lot more college starts than Kyler. Yeah, I know Trubisky was another of the outliers in the Parcells' major predictors of NFL success...  But then Mitch is 6' 2", and I raved about his accuracy coming out...  

I really like a lot of points you made in the 1st 2 paragraphs Hoorta.  The only place you might of went a little OSU homer is you're bringing up Murray starting only 1 season as a negative when that's all Haskins started. 

I think what has saved Russell Wilson in many of the years he hasn't had a great line in front of him aside from his quickness is his agility to dodge should be tacklers almost effortless.  Very rarely do I see people getting a clean shot at him.  Murray has a lot of that with some the type of jets/better than Wilson.  Another parallel he shares with Wilson, is they both had arms MLB was very interested in.  We have the hindsight 20/20 on Wilson today; but he's led his team to 2 more SBs as a 3rd round QB than his draft class mates Andrew Luck drafted at #1 overall and RG3 drafted at #2 overall. The biggest difference I see in Russell Wilson and RG3 or take your pick of anyone that didn't live up to their draft slot - is the ability to process information as quickly as the NFL demands it in order to be accurate.  If you're late on the reads - it's harder to be accurate in a league with better closing speeds. That said, if you can escape pressure the way Russell Wilson has you can bust a lot of corners coming off the WR in ( run support) with throws that don't have to be super-accurate to be completed to uncontested Receivers.  Historically, does combine assessment criteria ever really give a 5'11" QB like Wilson the same chance at round 1 consideration it gives taller QBs like RG3, Josh Allen, Ryan Tannehill or even Brandon Weeden (who still doesn't know he can throw the ball away outside of the pocket)? 

As much as I enjoy watching guys compete - these are some reasons I don't put too much stock in the Combine when it comes to evaluating QBs throwing the ball: 1) no defenders are in intimate space of passer quite like they will be for the QB prospect heading to the worst NFL team/offense; 2) They aren't asked to process information so there's really no high pressure quick decision making to see or question;  3) They're throwing to strangers with all different speeds and quicks so you gotta look more at did he throw it well and to the right place where the receiver should be (ie; many years on the quick outs I hear the instructor/supervisor of that drill reminding QBs with something along this line "DO NOT wait on the receiver. Just throw it where the receiver needs to be because hesitation on these are pick 6's on Sundays.")

Archived