Jump to content
darren15

The Combine

Recommended Posts

3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

3 best Aggies this year listed by best for Browns first. All are coming out a year early.

Eric McCoy - Center - I think he is going to be a very good pro center for some lucky team. Or even a G since he has excellent pulling skills. The one A&M player I think could contribute to the Browns the most if we could pick him up around the 3rd rd.

Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

Trey Williams  RB - Leading SEC rusher in 2018 and broke all time A&M single season rushing record - great vision and follows his blocking very well - quick through any crease and very decent after contact yards. Good hands. Very similar to our own 3rd down RB Johnson. The write up on him in the article above is very outdated. Major jump from 2017 to 2018 under far better coaching. Less than 1000 yds R/R in 2017 to over 2000 this year.

Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

There were some here who cared when I brought attention to Myles Garrett when he was a freshman at A&M. There are several here who actually want to keep up with the draft BEFORE the draft. If that isn't you then just don't read it. I'm speculating on the Center from A&M as a guy who could help us down the line.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why should we care until and unless we draft them?

Seriously Gip? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Jace Sternberger  - TE  - He will be very similar to our own 3rd year TE Njoku but better hands to start out his rookie season. (I liked Njoku's progress this year in that area).

I'd love to add another nice talent at TE to go with Njoku. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

There were some here who cared when I brought attention to Myles Garrett when he was a freshman at A&M. There are several here who actually want to keep up with the draft BEFORE the draft. If that isn't you then just don't read it. I'm speculating on the Center from A&M as a guy who could help us down the line.

Garret was the projected #1 pick in the draft.  The Browns had the #1 pick in the draft.....so certainly we cared about him for that reason.

Where do these other guys project?  Any of them in the mix for the #17 pick?  That would be the only reason to single them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Seriously Gip? 

 

Yes, seriously.   Why should we care about potential Texas A&M prospects any more than Texas prospects, or Texas Tech prospects, or Texas Christian prospects....or, you name the school.

Give us a list of the priority needs of the Browns, and which prospects may fit those needs who may be available when the Browns pick, regardless of college.

Hell...for all I know there may be a couple of Akron U players that could be draftable prospects.  Maybe we should highlight them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 11:26 AM, The Gipper said:

Yes, seriously.   Why should we care about potential Texas A&M prospects any more than Texas prospects, or Texas Tech prospects, or Texas Christian prospects....or, you name the school.

Give us a list of the priority needs of the Browns, and which prospects may fit those needs who may be available when the Browns pick, regardless of college.

Hell...for all I know there may be a couple of Akron U players that could be draftable prospects.  Maybe we should highlight them.

And the one I mentioned among the 3 top players is a center, an area of need. But you ignored what I said. Walter Football and Draftek both have him rated the 2nd best overall center in the draft and likely 2-3 round pick. If he is there in the 3rd I think we go after him. If either of the other two becomes BPA, then we need to look at them. They are both about 4-5th round picks and may move up after combine/pro days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And the one I mentioned among the 3 top players is a center, an area of need. But you ignored what I said. Walter Football and Draftek both have him rated the 2nd best overall center in the draft and likely 2-3 round pick. If he is there in the 3rd I think we go after him. If either of the other two becomes BPA, then we need to look at them. They are both about 4-5th round picks and may move up after combine/pro days.

Why do you think that center is an area of need?   JC Tretter is a fine center....and comes from a school that we both have a connection to:  Cornell.  (didn't you say your wife went there?).    Maybe we need a backup center......but I am not for taking a backup center in the 2/3 round area.  6/7 maybe.

And maybe we should be looking at this guy for depth at a position of need:   pass rush.  Maybe he is the next Jason Taylor?  He will be at the combine:

https://gozips.com/news/2019/1/3/football-akrons-jamal-davis-invited-to-nfl-combine.aspx

Or this guy in round 6/7:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/CFB/138559/Ulysees-Gilbert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And the one I mentioned among the 3 top players is a center, an area of need. 

? Tretter is still under contract with Kalis backing up. After taking Corbett last year, just don't see a need yet to start grooming another center. Playing with an ankle sprain majority of the year without missing a snap, tretter had a good year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why do you think that center is an area of need?   JC Tretter is a fine center....and comes from a school that we both have a connection to:  Cornell.  (didn't you say your wife went there?).    Maybe we need a backup center......but I am not for taking a backup center in the 2/3 round area.  6/7 maybe.

And maybe we should be looking at this guy for depth at a position of need:   pass rush.  Maybe he is the next Jason Taylor?  He will be at the combine:

https://gozips.com/news/2019/1/3/football-akrons-jamal-davis-invited-to-nfl-combine.aspx

Or this guy in round 6/7:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/CFB/138559/Ulysees-Gilbert

 

6 hours ago, choco said:

? Tretter is still under contract with Kalis backing up. After taking Corbett last year, just don't see a need yet to start grooming another center. Playing with an ankle sprain majority of the year without missing a snap, tretter had a good year.

He plays center but is one of those versatile guys Dorsey likes who has the speed and agility to play pulling guard if that is where we need him more. He is excellent at taking out LBs in downfield blocking. However it would not surprise me if Cincy gets him before we have a chance since his OL coach just got hired for that position there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

 

He plays center but is one of those versatile guys Dorsey likes who has the speed and agility to play pulling guard if that is where we need him more. He is excellent at taking out LBs in downfield blocking. However it would not surprise me if Cincy gets him before we have a chance since his OL coach just got hired for that position there.

How about we discontinue any discussion about him until and unless the Browns draft him

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#73 Joe Thomas will join the crew from NFL Network Day 1, on the field to observe the  OL drills..  that won't suck 👍

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 7:59 AM, gumby73 said:

Miss.St. DT Jeffery Simmons (a top 25 prospect) & WR Colorado St. Preston Williams fail Combine background check & get no Combine invite..Williams pleaded guilty to harassing a women, court date differed. Simmons was arrested in 2016 for Physical altercation with women..The List of 335 should be out next week.could be a lot of unhappy campers waiting on Pro Days?

Today, we have found our 3rd invite, now dis-invited due to failing background check..Your all time NCAA sack leader La.Tech DE Jaylon Ferguson, chooses to fight at local McDonald's🥊. per nfl.com "Ferguson was convicted of simple battery his freshman year at Tech following a fight at McD's. And, If a background check reveals a conviction of a felony or misdemeanor involving violence he can be dis-invited"...Ferguson also received a public intoxication charge while in college ..Teams are said to be lining up for Ferguson's Pro Day date..(perfect, feed them Happy Meals;))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A football player got into a fight? Not exactly "man bites dog."

I mean where is the line? Fought as a Frosh then nothing for a couple years after that? Hardly the habitual criminal...

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

#73 Joe Thomas will join the crew from NFL Network Day 1, on the field to observe the  OL drills..  that won't suck 👍

Dunno, gum... he liked both Cam and Shon... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, The Gipper said:

How about we discontinue any discussion about him until and unless the Browns draft him

Most recent article on him says Buffalo wants him in front of Josh Allen directing their OL and he goes early 2nd to them. He actually never played C until A&M. Was primarily a G and OT in HS. They switched him there to direct the OL and act as a pulling center on some of their running plays which was of course in front of the leading rusher in the SEC.

The reason he is up for  discussion is the same reason we discuss other possible Browns choices even if we don't end up drafting them. It's the same reason I have brought up Devin White, ILB from LSU. He could meet a real need and I expect a stellar career from him just as I  do McCoy.

I will be identifying others as we get closer to draft day as will other posters here. That's just how we fill the time until draft so people have a better idea of what kinds of players we would want to look closely at before we actually draft anyone. That's how it works so don't read it if you don't like it.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

A football player got into a fight? Not exactly "man bites dog."

I mean where is the line? Fought as a Frosh then nothing for a couple years after that? Hardly the habitual criminal...

Dunno, gum... he liked both Cam and Shon... ;)

Well...it goes back to the conversation had on the other thread,  where, of course it is said that it is not alright for a man to hit a woman.....but then someone claimed that it is alright for a man to hit another man.

And the answer is:   It is NOT alright.  You commit an assault on another human being, man or woman, and there can be consequences.

Point in fact. 

I can tell you that I have had far more cases in front of me for man on man assaults than man on woman.

(again, remember....it is NOT domestic violence unless the victim is a relative, or lives with you...it is "merely" assault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's the same reason I have brought up Devin White, ILB from LSU.

In thinking about the AFCN I have concluded that White is the solution to the Steelers' MLB problem...

All the more reason for me to want him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

In thinking about the AFCN I have concluded that White is the solution to the Steelers' MLB problem...

All the more reason for me to want him.

Steelers draft behind the Browns at 17.   Is it fair to say that neither is likely to get him as he will go much higher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Steelers draft behind the Browns at 17.   Is it fair to say that neither is likely to get him as he will go much higher?

This is one of those few times I think it imperative we use draft capital to move up in the draft and take him. I think he is that good and that key to a vast defensive improvement for the Browns. He's a one man wrecking crew not unlike some of the best who have ever played the position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Prospect game-tape nit picking has started..Here's 3 writers 2nd look opinion on White..  https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/08/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-devin-white/  White has dropped on this site from #5 to now #17..but Physical freaks like White, raise those numbers at combine..I can't see how he gets past Bengals, even if White is still there then.. Kentucky's Josh Allen has moved from #4 to #6 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 7:59 AM, gumby73 said:

Miss.St. DT Jeffery Simmons, La.Tech DE-Jaylon Ferguson & WR Colorado St. Preston Williams fail Combine background check & get no Combine invite..

Nfl.com now reports, that all 3 players will get expenses paid invite to Combine for *Medical Evaluations Only*..Jeffery Simmons stock continues falling now with late ACL injury. Drafted team will need to sit Simmons on IR most/all season. Ferguson's agent is still pushing to get his client on the field (tick-tock) Freddie Kitchens is scheduled to speak at Combine 2-27-19 at 12:15pm..John Dorsey speaks 2-28-19 at 10am...both should be carried on NFL Network (exact viewing times could get debatable)  ...   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 12:26 PM, The Gipper said:

Yes, seriously.   Why should we care about potential Texas A&M prospects any more than Texas prospects, or Texas Tech prospects, or Texas Christian prospects....or, you name the school.

Give us a list of the priority needs of the Browns, and which prospects may fit those needs who may be available when the Browns pick, regardless of college.

Hell...for all I know there may be a couple of Akron U players that could be draftable prospects.  Maybe we should highlight them.

It's background on prospects for the NFL draft that we may or may not draft. If someone has Insight on players that could fill a need for the Browns because they have watched them their whole career why would we not welcome more information about said players. He doesn't know every single  player that's going to be drafted and when  and their strengths and weaknesses but from watching  those guys he gave us his scouting report. What is wrong with that. The Browns certainly aren't looking at quarterback at least in the first round and you have given breakdowns and Dwayne Haskins in a thread or two. I fail to see the difference. If there are players from Akron that you think that posters here should look into because you think they could fill a need to feel free to give as much information as you can.

 

Edit also you said this in a post I just saw 

"I say we get good/better everywhere we can....no matter the position.   If say, a CB is clearly the best player available in the draft, then you take one over what you consider a lesser talent at a position of greater need.   But all things being equal talentwise, you take the place of need."

So who is to say one of those 3 guys won't be bpa at one of our picks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, Tour2ma said:

Guilty here as well... Love my DVR!

 

But just not going to be the same this year without Mayock talking about "bubblebutts"...

😄 I love me some Underwear Olympics too!   Mayock, and his sense of humor, will definitely be missed.  1 year they kept showing his interception of Dan Marino.  To the best of my memory, an annoyed but poised Marino responded with "Hey Mike, do you have keep showing your only INT?"   Mayock was like "I have no control over it Dan; but I certainly appreciate the ability to relive a fond memory as many times as they will allow me to." 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×