THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Football Names

The Gipper

This thread is for listing  football players whose names seem extremely apt to the game.   Here is one that I came across who, while the statistic that bears his name was not around in his time, is a great name nevertheless:   Jack Sack.   (Columbus Panhandles, Canton Bulldogs, Cleveland Panthers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Sack

1922_Jack_Sack.jpeg

Of course there are others:

Dick Butkus.

Taz  Knockum

Brit Barefoot......yes, he was a kicker for Ga. Tech.

Darius Passmore.......(but he was not a QB...a WR.....so he should be Darious Passmoretome.

Bronko Nagurski.....because it just sounds tough. 

Sonny Sixkiller.....big name QB with Washington in the 70s...never played NFL...but did play WFL.

And our old friend  Tank Carder      (I believe Tank was his real name...not a nickname...not sure)

Colt McCoy is a pretty cool football name.    Of course he should end up playing in Indy eventually.

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Of course there are others:

Dick Butkus.

Taz  Knockum

Brit Barefoot......yes, he was a kicker for Ga. Tech.

Darius Passmore.......(but he was not a QB...a WR.....so he should be Darious Passmoretome.

Bronko Nagurski.....because it just sounds tough. 

Sonny Sixkiller.....big name QB with Washington in the 70s...never played NFL...but did play WFL.

And our old friend  Tank Carder      (I believe Tank was his real name...not a nickname...not sure)

Colt McCoy is a pretty cool football name.    Of course he should end up playing in Indy eventually.

Ohio State player Tuf Borland...   

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Fair Hooker

Didn't he line up with Jubilee Dunbar?

Best pair of receiver names ever.

Also, DL St Louis Cardinals--- Odious Lee.

Shame Mike Junkin sucked so bad. Hall of Fame name, zero talent.

Remember Ben Gay?...RB for the Browns (interestingly, he was with the Browns when Coco Crisp played for the Tribe).....Those 2 were an ad man's dream!  LOL

Mike

I remember having to read a book report on Johnny U back in school. I loosened up the crowd with saying "Buzz Nutter was Johnny U's Center"..Still as a kid, i wanted a Chris Hamburger jersey cus that's what Madden & Scully called him on tv, so i thought. till my football coach wore a HaNburger jersey... Browns? Anybody remember our Guard Pork Chop Womack..I read a book his first name was Floyd...Webster Slaughter best WR name of all time...   

OK, although these aren't "football" names I give you these. Working in an inner city hospital for years, the Hematology Supervisor kept a list of weird names of anyone who came through the door. And almost everyone walking in got a test that went through that lab...  So here's the most memorable, and I'm not kidding...  

General Grant, Admiral Forster, Sergeant Sergeant.  (our entire military) ....  Dang- we do have the NFL guy Captain Munnerlyn for real., now that my memory is jogged...  Harold Harold, Shade Bush, Perfect Champagne (and she named her kid Dom Perignon).  :D 

My favorite Browns Names all-time team: 

QB Dick Shiner

RB Ben Gay

RB Chris Oblongbanana

WR Fair Hooker

WR Jubilee Dunbar

TE Chip Class

T Roman Oben

T Spencer Django "Unchained"

G Pork Chop Womack

G Houston Hoover

C Mike Baab

DT Pio Sagapalutee

DT Orpheus Roye

DE Joe "Turkey" Jones

DE Frostee Rucker

MLB Scooby Wright

OLB Barkevious Mingo

OLB Robert L. "Stonewall" Jackson

S Thane Gash

S Erick Hagg

CB Buster Skrine

CB Najee Mustafaa

K Travis Coons

P Tom Tupa

KR Fozzy Whitaker

PR Gerald "Ice Cube" McNeil

2 minutes ago, Buck The Frowns said:

I always thought Barkevious Mingo had the perfect name for the Dog Pound to love. I tried to start the rumor that he had a brother Nefarious and a sister Lascivious but it unfortunately didn’t catch on.

But...those were Harry Potter characters, weren't they?  Or should have been.

• Phineas Nigellus Black – late great-great-grandfather of Sirius Black, a former headmaster of Hogwarts whose painting hangs in the office and helps out the current headmaster.
  • Sirius Black – Harry Potter's godfather, a member of the Order of the Phoenix and prisoner on the run.
  • Dedalus Diggle – member of the Order of the Phoenix who took the Dursleys into hiding.
  • Filius Flitwick – Charms professor at Hogwarts and Head of Ravenclaw.
  • Silvanus Kettleburn - Care of Magical Creature teacher until Harry's third year.
  • Rodolphus Lestrange – Death Eater, brother of Rabastan Lestrange, husband of Bellatrix Lestrange.
  • Xenophilius Lovegood – Father of Luna Lovegood, and editor of The Quibbler.
  • Ignotus Peverell – Original owner of The Invisibility Cloak in The Tale of the Three Brothers.
  • Quirinus Quirrell – Defence Against the Dark Arts professor in Harry's first year, possessed by Lord Voldemort, and was killed in Philosopher's Stone.
  • They fit right in.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:21 PM, The Gipper said:

But...those were Harry Potter characters, weren't they?  Or should have been.

• Phineas Nigellus Black – late great-great-grandfather of Sirius Black, a former headmaster of Hogwarts whose painting hangs in the office and helps out the current headmaster.
  • Sirius Black – Harry Potter's godfather, a member of the Order of the Phoenix and prisoner on the run.
  • Dedalus Diggle – member of the Order of the Phoenix who took the Dursleys into hiding.
  • Filius Flitwick – Charms professor at Hogwarts and Head of Ravenclaw.
  • Silvanus Kettleburn - Care of Magical Creature teacher until Harry's third year.
  • Rodolphus Lestrange – Death Eater, brother of Rabastan Lestrange, husband of Bellatrix Lestrange.
  • Xenophilius Lovegood – Father of Luna Lovegood, and editor of The Quibbler.
  • Ignotus Peverell – Original owner of The Invisibility Cloak in The Tale of the Three Brothers.
  • Quirinus Quirrell – Defence Against the Dark Arts professor in Harry's first year, possessed by Lord Voldemort, and was killed in Philosopher's Stone.
  • They fit right in.

Gipp!!???

Nice!!!  Great books!!  Nerds in da house!!!!

Archived