THE BROWNS BOARD

2019 Mock Drafts

darren15

7 hours ago, JimboJones said:

It's not just for competition and depth, it''s making it a much higher probability that they've finally got an elite franchise QB they've never had.   

His skill set is comparable to Patrick Mahomes minus the height, but faster. If Patrick Mahomes was entering the draft this April, would you consider him at pick #17 if he was available based of his college production?  Just wanna know if it's truly that you don't want another QB, or if it's just the player you don't like in Murray.

First, you may be the only Browns fan on the planet who doesn't think Mayfield at long last is the franchise quarterback the Browns have missed since 1999. Couch might have been if he had been surrounded with a better supporting cast.  (IIRC Tour may need one more season before he's completely convinced) 

Just please, stop comparing this guy to Mahomes- because there's no comparison. If we didn't have Baker, of course the Browns would consider Mahomes at #17 if he was available, but not Murray.  Patrick has 5 inches in height on him, and if you think he has a comparable arm? My football days go back to Jim Brown, and in recent vintage quarterbacking, MHO is the only guy who could measure up to Mahomes' arm strength is a young John Elway, and he's already more accurate than Elway ever was.  I doubt there's any quarterback in the NFL that can match him in that regard.  

I'm not too worried, we usually get these off the wall opinions of players, but there is no way in hell the Browns will even consider drafting Murray, especially in the first round. I'd bet the ranch on it. Watching some of the Oklahoma- Alabama highlights, Murray just doesn't have the build to survive the long term pounding he's going to get in the NFL.  Listed at 5' 10", 195, and care to bet at the combine that's grossly overstated? He looks like a 185 pound WR.   

PS, EDIT:  Sure, there's plenty of early mock drafts showing Murray going in the first round, but taking another QB in the first with Baker in place is an insane luxury pick- it's not happening...  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, hoorta said:

First, you may be the only Browns fan on the planet who doesn't think Mayfield at long last is the franchise quarterback the Browns have missed since 1999.

Not to agree with this guy, but I'm still in a "wait and watch" approach.

There are a lot of things I see which I like.   There are others that.... not so much.     I have some optimism for once and I believe the potential is there.   Realizing said potential is the question.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:59 AM, tiamat63 said:

Sadly that still isn't the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums. 

Not the first time you've said this of a post.

I wonder what your Top Ten would look like...

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Half of my top 10 would include some of the pre-draft assessments I read on Manziel. 

I haven't been around for that long, but I'd say that top three positions for me are PoG going Hulk Hogan.

most of the mocks I've seen so far have the Def players worth anything going before we pick, so they have us taking a WR. Im not 100% against that IF that WR would under normal years be a top 10 prospect. I'll look at some tape tho but evaluating WR's in college isn't my thing cause a lot of them can look amazing lighting up collegiate secondaries but when it comes time to separate from NFL DB's....anyway, im still leaning to either trading up to get a DL/DE or trading completely out of the 1st round and stockpiling picks for trade capital. 

For the Browns pick at 17 I would like either of these but they could all go before we pick

Byron Murphy  CB ...... Shut down corner opposite Ward ...... 2 islands in one team

Devin White  ILB/OLB   Bawl hawk, high intensity athlete, super fast

DK Metcalf WR .... NFL ready,  number 1 receiver in first season

Dremont Jones .. DT ..... Buckeye run stuffer alongside Larry O, ideally would like a vet next to Larry O like Grady Jarrett but Jones has huge potential

1 hour ago, darren15 said:

Dremont Jones .. DT ..... Buckeye run stuffer alongside Larry O, ideally would like a vet next to Larry O like Grady Jarrett but Jones has huge potential

Love 'Dre - but he won't hold the double teams that our line will require to keep the LB's clean and successful without some severe scheme changes.  

And even then... 

Agree... Dre will be a nice speed DT for some team, but doesn't fill a need for us.

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Ive seen mocks with Devin going top 5

He certainly is worthy of a top 5, but need does strange things to draft boards.

We know Bosa is a near lock ar #1 and most rankings I've seen have another 5 DL in the top ten. Then there's Josh Allen and a couple CBs so that's 9...

Add one or two OTs to the mix and that's 11.

We need 3 QBs to go in the top half of round 1 to help drop him more towards us and there's a chance with Murray now in the mix that happens.

We might have to move up a couple spots to fend off MLB hungry teams, e.g., the Steelers, but we've got a legit shot at D. White.

I am not sure why anyone is bringing up a QB for this draft. For the first time in forever we can forget spending a draft pick on a QB and worry about other things. And if a QB dropped far enough down into the 4th round or later then maybe entertain it, but no way we spend our first round pick to compete with our first round pick from last year at the same position when the guy from last year might be the rookie of the year. Its dumb, we should be discussing just about any other position then QB. We need a DT, a DE, a WR, a DB, even an OT, but no QB.

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... Dre will be a nice speed DT for some team, but doesn't fill a need for us.

He certainly is worthy of a top 5, but need does strange things to draft boards.

We know Bosa is a near lock ar #1 and most rankings I've seen have another 5 DL in the top ten. Then there's Josh Allen and a couple CBs so that's 9...

Add one or two OTs to the mix and that's 11.

We need 3 QBs to go in the top half of round 1 to help drop him more towards us and there's a chance with Murray now in the mix that happens.

We might have to move up a couple spots to fend off MLB hungry teams, e.g., the Steelers, but we've got a legit shot at D. White.

I would love to get White, BUT I think we would have to trade up to get him, plus I think this is a very weak QB draft, so I'm not planning on QB needy teams going after one early, but there IS "supply & demand".

Mike

I think, I would draft a kicker in the 4th/5th round.

Austin Seibert.

Oklahoma. * Mayfield's ex-teammate !

Dec 29, 2018 - Oklahoma University senior placekicker Austin Seibert set the ... state and regional awards for his columns, feature stories and news reporting.

OU football: Austin Seibert named Big 12 Special Teams Player of ...

www.oudaily.com/...austin-seibert.../article_dff3790c-f19d-11e8-8a49-c7e633bd2d5...

Nov 26, 2018 - Senior kicker Austin Seibert was announced as the Big 12 Special ... This is the second time this season Seibert has received this honor.

13 hours ago, runyon27 said:

I am not sure why anyone is bringing up a QB for this draft. For the first time in forever we can forget spending a draft pick on a QB and worry about other things. And if a QB dropped far enough down into the 4th round or later then maybe entertain it, but no way we spend our first round pick to compete with our first round pick from last year at the same position when the guy from last year might be the rookie of the year. Its dumb, we should be discussing just about any other position then QB. We need a DT, a DE, a WR, a DB, even an OT, but no QB.

Who is bringing up a QB....besides a single dipstick?  The post before yours had the right perspective, asking:   how many QBs will go high in this draft so that a player that we really can use can drop to us? 

Haskins?  Lock?  Jones out of Duke?  Little Big Man Murray?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Who is bringing up a QB....besides a single dipstick?  The post before yours had the right perspective, asking:   how many QBs will go high in this draft so that a player that we really can use can drop to us? 

Haskins?  Lock?  Jones out of Duke?  Little Big Man Murray?

Well I hope as many as possible, but given the fact QBs like Flacco, Tyrod, Bridgewater will be available, I would bet that will push down 1 or more of these QBs into the next round. So free agency will play a role in this to some degree. I can see Haskins and Lock going before we pick.

Wow... Gipper's right for once...

QBs are always overdrafted but never more so than in mediocre QB classes... Exhibit A... Blake Bortles.

Haskins will go top ten... possibly top 5. Duke's Jones is in the mix for top 15 as is Murray. And we're still not to the Combine...

23 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I would love to get White, BUT I think we would have to trade up to get him, plus I think this is a very weak QB draft, so I'm not planning on QB needy teams going after one early, but there IS "supply & demand".

Disagree on weak... more "mediocre" to my mind and therefor even more likely to lend itself to QB-reaching.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

QBs are always overdrafted but never more so than in mediocre QB classes... Exhibit A... Blake Bortles.

Always remember hearing Brian Billick on a podcast saying that "need is a terrible evaluator of talent, especially in a QB".     Which is why QB's are always overdrafted.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

At least I got something right once....still waiting for your first time. Your cherry is intact  :P

Is that the best you got? Really?  Like saying;  water is wet.

Haskins will go top ten... possibly top 5. Duke's Jones is in the mix for top 15 as is Murray. And we're still not to the Combine...

Disagree on weak... more "mediocre" to my mind and therefor even more likely to lend itself to QB-reaching.

We probably really have to wait 5 years to judge a QB class.  Take 2005.  Even after 3 years you would have said that the QBs taken in the first round seem like busts (based on today's instant gratification standards)   Alex Smith....spotty record his first 4 years, including missing one whole season to injury... and Aaron Rodgers....didn't hardly get off the bench.   Seems like these 3 came through pretty good later.   Now,  perhaps 3 years is usually a fairly reliable time to judge, but not always.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:30 PM, Louisville Slugger said:

I had Mayfeild as the guy for the last month or so before the draft. 

I don't see Rosen ever being better than an average QB.

If we take a QB at 17 I will literally never watch the nfl again

I'd say about zero percent chance of taking a QB EARLY, but I can certainly see us taking one eventually in the draft. I think the backup QB is an extremely important position, and I'm curious what we're going to do about it. Heck, if Josh McCown still wants to play, I'd love bringing him back for a year. 

We're going to focus on DT, OL, and LB early on in the draft, if I had to bet. 

Pre draft is just not going to be as much fun this year.  There won't be any QB discussion.  We're picking way down at #17 where it's anybody's guess what will happen.  Of course draft day will be interesting.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

Pre draft is just not going to be as much fun this year.  There won't be any QB discussion.  We're picking way down at #17 where it's anybody's guess what will happen.  Of course draft day will be interesting.

True, but there's going to be far less fighting going on here too. 

The pre-draft talk got exhausting last season. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

True, but there's going to be far less fighting going on here too. 

The pre-draft talk got exhausting last season. 

Correct.  It's not going to be the same 'hot topic' that it's been every other year.  We finally have our QB.  Everything else is supporting cast.

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

Correct.  It's not going to be the same 'hot topic' that it's been every other year.  We finally have our QB.  Everything else is supporting cast.

Plus as far as I know no incoming college kid has blasted Trump so calfox won't be posting non-stop nonsense about it for months on end because he's butthurt... 😁

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Plus as far as I know no incoming college kid has blasted Trump so calfox won't be posting non-stop nonsense about it for months on end because he's butthurt... 😁

Give it time. The draft is at the end of April

12 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Give it time. The draft is at the end of April

The draft talk here is not likely to be as overwhelming as in the past for two reasons:    A. as everyone said, we are now not looking for a QB...and B. The Browns pick #17.   When you are always picking top  1-5 you always have a debate about which few players would be the one to take.   Now...the field for the Browns opens up so widely because of all the teams picking ahead of them.    We could literally be talking about a range of  20-25 players that might be in consideration for that 17th pick.

So, while maybe there will be a lot more players to consider....it is just not the same as the debate over a Top 5 pick.

Archived