THE BROWNS BOARD

Inside the Browns front office, ESPN

LondonBrown

An excellent read and plenty of stuff in it I’ve never heard before. I’m unable to copy and paste the whole thing here right now so link is below 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland-browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some nuggets 

Hue asking why he’s being fired and then telling the.... TEAM OWNER, to “GTFO of my office” 😂😂😂

Farmer turning down pick 33 for Brian Hoyer 🙈🙈

Pettine was to blame for Gilbert. Haslam to blame for Johnny.

Haslam has clearly been the main problem to date. The only chance the Browns have of success is him having learned his lesson and staying away from Dorsey and Kitchens when it comes to football stuff. 

As many on this board suspected, Haslam has been the driving force behind the last 6 years of Suck. The Hue Jackson Debacle was brought to you exclusively by Jimmy Haslam. As a Browns fan, this article left me feeling sick. What a shitshow.

Haslam told the front office he was pleased with the drafts and free agency but also seemed torn, wanting a heavyweight football name at the helm. He had gone from a nontraditional hire in Banner to a lifelong scout in Farmer and then swung back to an unorthodox pick in Brown. Now he wanted to swing the other way. On Dec. 7, Haslam entered Brown's office and fired him. According to people who saw him afterward, Haslam looked frayed when he exited the meeting, knowing he'd gone back on his word to Brown. Friends around the league urged Haslam to start over clean and fire Jackson too, but he refused. Dorsey was hired as GM that same day. The Browns were starting over again, with another arranged marriage between coach and GM.

"We just don't know what we are doing," Dee said in the office around that time, according to multiple sources in the building, a refrain they had heard her utter before but that she denied through a team spokesman. "If we'd known how hard it would be, we never would have bought the team."

Who knew running an NFL franchise was so complicated? Fucking hell.

Obviously, the future success of the Browns hinges on Jimmy suppressing every instinct he has and getting out of the way and letting the football guys make football decisions. But the last couple of paragraphs of the article don't instill me with high hopes of that happening.

That was a good read. The gist I go out of it is that Haslam does want to win, does want to be involved, but gets in his own way and often doesn't adhere to the advice of those he puts in place to advise him. So maybe things have changed now with Dorsey and the new organization alignment.

I was getting sick at everything the article said Haslam did, and it left me unsettled though a lot of that has been already discussed in this board and was already known. 

The only thing I hope for is that now that we had some wins, Haslam won't feel the need to step on everything again. Also I think it helps that Dorsey has a strong character. 

Very interesting and thoughtful read.

1.  A high second-round pick was actually offered for brian hoyer?? Are you kidding me?  Even worse, FARMER TURNED IT DOWN?  Day drinking is now happening.

2. Hue claims everyone else "didn't tell him" the same facts that were available in what amounts to a browns white paper?  Shocking - Hue takes no responsibility.. again.

3. "DePodesta wrote Haslam an email arguing that the Jackson hire went against many of the characteristics of successful coaches they had discussed" . This needs no comment.

4. "Against the advice of scouts, Brown had picked receiver Corey Coleman in the first round in 2016" - Yeah, so.. Why were those scouts also fired?

5. Haslam brought in a guy accused of workplace sexual harrassment to.... talk about leadership? Yeah, no.

6. The kicker: "It's the overall pattern that is baffling, the inability of Haslam to either evaluate people and plans well or stick by them."

Most problematic and unnerving paragraph BY FAR....

""You think you're the one he trusts," says a former high-level member of Browns management. "By the time you realize that he confides in everyone, it's too late. You're gone."

Oh my goodness gracious that man is not a manager. How does someone make billions operating like that? Jimmy basically turned berea into a viper pit

9 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Most problematic and unnerving paragraph BY FAR....

""You think you're the one he trusts," says a former high-level member of Browns management. "By the time you realize that he confides in everyone, it's too late. You're gone."

Oh my goodness gracious that man is not a manager. How does someone make billions operating like that? Jimmy basically turned berea into a viper pit

As rough as the whole thing to read was and it wasn't all that surprising, we all kinda knew most of that stuff or at least suspected it.   We all knew that Pettine didn't want Johnny drunk and was forced to deal with him.  The hope going forward is that Haslam is staying out of things and letting Dorsey make the choices which can only be positive going forward.

48 minutes ago, Nero said:

I was getting sick at everything the article said Haslam did, and it left me unsettled though a lot of that has been already discussed in this board and was already known. 

The only thing I hope for is that now that we had some wins, Haslam won't feel the need to step on everything again. Also I think it helps that Dorsey has a strong character. 

Very interesting and thoughtful read.

You have to hope having Freddie report directly to Dorsey is one encouraging sign Haslam has learned to back off. 

That the Browns killed the 2018 draft hopefully means whatever talent Dorsey pulled in means we finally have a GM that knows what he's doing, and again Jimmy gets it to stay the hell out of the way.

This report just solidifies how really bad Hue was.. And how inept Jimmy is.. If Jimmy can learn to stay out of the way.. We might finally have something.. I think another thing that could help.. Keep Jimmy out of the fucking war room at all cost!

I think one of the things that struck is that Jimmy wants to be what he thinks is a good owner and football guy. So its one reason he solicits alot of opinions. He grew up in the family business so he probably knows that backwards and forwards, the NFL isn't truck stops. But with all the information he gets, he doesn't seem to use that information and make wise decisions with it or gets impatient(which we already knew). Seems to me Dee would be the better day to day owner and decision maker. You have to put trust in the guys you hire, so if they make a recommendation you should go with, given your track record in those areas is abyssmal.

3 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Some nuggets 

Hue asking why he’s being fired and then telling the.... TEAM OWNER, to “GTFO of my office” 😂😂😂

Farmer turning down pick 33 for Brian Hoyer 🙈🙈

Pettine was to blame for Gilbert. Haslam to blame for Johnny.

Haslam has clearly been the main problem to date. The only chance the Browns have of success is him having learned his lesson and staying away from Dorsey and Kitchens when it comes to football stuff. 

If Haslam is to blame, what about the first 15 years or whatever before Truck stop Jim took over? We been a shit team since 1999. I am not saying I like Jimmy by any stretch of the imagination only saying can't blame him for everything

Good Article. With the distrust lately in the media(known fake news/made up) I often wonder how factual this article is. However, how things played out they appear so. We as fans can only hope with the little success we and the Haslem's seen last season will keep them out of Micro managing. 

33 minutes ago, medicineman said:

If Haslam is to blame, what about the first 15 years or whatever before Truck stop Jim took over? We been a shit team since 1999. I am not saying I like Jimmy by any stretch of the imagination only saying can't blame him for everything

Two Bad owners do not make a good owner. 

45 minutes ago, medicineman said:

Well Haslam is the current owner and the basis of the article 🤷🏼‍♀️

34 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Im still laughing that a fired head coach told the OWNER to get out of my fucking office 🤣🤣🤣

im also convinced hue totally said this, as hes a completely honest, credible dude that only wants the truth to be known... 😑

31 minutes ago, choco said:

im also convinced hue totally said this, as hes a completely honest, credible dude that only wants the truth to be known... 😑

The only truth about Hue that needs to known is Hue has an Ego, He is stupid  and selfish.... He has ZERO credibility,, NONE!

I just finished the article and must compliment the many members of this board who’ve been saying this for years. I joined the Browns Board after the Justin Gilbert-Manziel draft fiasco & have learned many things from you guys. 

Ive lived in Florida the last 19 years & found this Board to be very enlightening for a diehard (63yr old female) Browns fan.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all of you!

Opal

The Cleveland Browns reportedly passed on quarterback Teddy Twatwater in the 2014 NFL draft in part because owner Jimmy Haslam wasn't happy with a handshake they shared.

On Thursday, Seth Wickersham of ESPN.com reported the Browns "soured" on Bridgewater after a workout and interview dinner when Haslam told team executives the handshake "rubbed [him] the wrong way."

Cleveland selected Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick in 2014. The Minnesota Vikings made a trade with the Seattle Seahawks to acquire selection No. 32 to grab Bridgewater.

While Manziel flamed out because of lackluster on-field production and a series of off-field incidents, Bridgewater was a top contender for the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award in 2014 and earned a Pro Bowl selection in 2015 for the Viking

Although the University of Louisville product suffered a serious leg injury in August 2016 that derailed his promising career, he'll arguably be the top quarterback available on this year's free-agent market.

In the bigger picture, the reported decision to pass on Bridgewater highlights the type of decision-making errors that have caused the Browns to miss the playoffs every year since 2003.

They may have finally found their franchise quarterback in Baker Mayfield, which should help get the Browns moving back in the right direction.

The rest of the roster is still in need of serious upgrades, however, and it's been a long time since Cleveland showed a propensity for filling those voids properly.

•  
  •  
  •  

31 minutes ago, ATOM said:

The Cleveland Browns reportedly passed on quarterback Teddy Twatwater in the 2014 NFL draft in part because owner Jimmy Haslam wasn't happy with a handshake they shared.

On Thursday, Seth Wickersham of ESPN.com reported the Browns "soured" on Bridgewater after a workout and interview dinner when Haslam told team executives the handshake "rubbed [him] the wrong way."

Cleveland selected Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick in 2014. The Minnesota Vikings made a trade with the Seattle Seahawks to acquire selection No. 32 to grab Bridgewater.

While Manziel flamed out because of lackluster on-field production and a series of off-field incidents, Bridgewater was a top contender for the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award in 2014 and earned a Pro Bowl selection in 2015 for the Viking

Although the University of Louisville product suffered a serious leg injury in August 2016 that derailed his promising career, he'll arguably be the top quarterback available on this year's free-agent market.

In the bigger picture, the reported decision to pass on Bridgewater highlights the type of decision-making errors that have caused the Browns to miss the playoffs every year since 2003.

They may have finally found their franchise quarterback in Baker Mayfield, which should help get the Browns moving back in the right direction.

The rest of the roster is still in need of serious upgrades, however, and it's been a long time since Cleveland showed a propensity for filling those voids properly.

•  
  •  
  •  

Bridgewater does seem like a limp fish.    Let's put it this way...in that draft....while the choice of JMZ was bad....I find no particular fault in them passing on Bridgewater.

Passing up Aaron Donald in favor of Justin Gilbert....now THAT is a suckass move.   And instead of Manziel they could have had Dee Ford or Demarcus Lawrence....or if they were going QB I would rather have had Carr than the Twat.

It just proves Jimmy Haslem is NOT a good owner. If he stays out of the football part. He could change that. But we will have to wait and see

Also. It seems to me that Jimmy talks to too many people. 

Just right the checks and let the football people do the work

Hue to Haslam .....Get the hell out of my office

Haslam should of replied ..... Get the hell out of my facility you bald short sighted under bus throwing piece of a shit coach that you are ... and your head looks like a whopper candy

Not for nuthin' but we've been aware of how meddling and lousy an owner Haslam has been since he took over.

Yes, the article points out some nuggets that we weren't aware of, but in general, we knew the story.

Of course, we have some of the 'rose colored glasses' people who would bash you for saying anything negative, but ya just ignore them....if ya can.

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

Of course, we have some of the 'rose colored glasses' people who would bash you for saying anything negative, but ya just ignore them....if ya can.

I think being fair and negative is just fine.   Its when it seems totally unfair and just trolling that it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.   For me, it also depends on who is posting the "negative opinion".    

Media scribbling.....PFFFFT. I could give a crap!

To quote an old song...."...but that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone" (that's even assuming his stuff is accurate & not embellished).

Mike

Archived