THE BROWNS BOARD

Super Bowl Factoids

The Gipper

This is only the second time this has happened in the 4 major sports....where teams from the same two cities met up for a sports championship in more than one of the Big Four sports. 

The other time was in 1947  when  The Chicago Cardinals beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFL title game......and The Philadelphia Warriors defeated the Chicago Stag in the BAA (NBA)  Finals.

One fact that I find interesting is that Brady led the Patriots to his first Superbowl win against the Rams... And he's facing them again in the verge of his retirement.

In fact, I think that if he wins he may retire in the top. It would be a perfect ending to his career. If he losses, I think it is more unlikely, as he is super competitive and still plays very well.

5 hours ago, Nero said:

One fact that I find interesting is that Brady led the Patriots to his first Superbowl win against the Rams... And he's facing them again in the verge of his retirement.

In fact, I think that if he wins he may retire in the top. It would be a perfect ending to his career. If he losses, I think it is more unlikely, as he is super competitive and still plays very well.

While perhaps it would be fitting if he did what a couple of others did:  Ride off into the sunset after winning a title,  he says that he has interest in quitting now.  So I would not expect it to happen even if he wins.

Who else "Rode off"  after winning a title:

Elway did in like 1998.

Otto Graham did in 1955.

Peyton Manning did in 2015

It would be fine with me if Brady did the same.   (except that I don't want him to win...but IF he won...sure, hang em up)

Non QBs included Strahan, Ray Lewis, Jerome Bettis.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:19 PM, The Gipper said:

This is only the second time this has happened in the 4 major sports....where teams from the same two cities met up for a sports championship in more than one of the Big Four sports. 

The other time was in 1947  when  The Chicago Cardinals beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFL title game......and The Philadelphia Warriors defeated the Chicago Stag in the BAA (NBA)  Finals.

Another note on this.....as you can see, the one other time this happened, the cities split the titles.  One for each.  Perhaps...hopefully, history can be duplicated.

Not that I give one flying fart about LA....its just that the Boston area teams.......and their annoying, whiny ass fans have just won enough and are not deserving.

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Another note on this.....as you can see, the one other time this happened, the cities split the titles.  One for each.  Perhaps...hopefully, history can be duplicated.

Not that I give one flying fart about LA....its just that the Boston area teams.......and their annoying, whiny ass fans have just won enough and are not deserving.

Neither are the bandwagon LA fans who could care less about the team.  Considering more people in LA watched the Patriots/Chiefs game than watched the Rams/Saints.

10 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Neither are the bandwagon LA fans who could care less about the team.  Considering more people in LA watched the Patriots/Chiefs game than watched the Rams/Saints.

Bottom line....we have two shitty, undeserving fan bases.   Its not that Boston is like LA....they may be  passionate comparatively (but why do I think that if you asked Boston people which of their 4 teams were their favorites, the Pats would come in last),   but they are spoiled.  

And since you live in that area.....what do you think is the pecking order of popularity for all the LA teams....in all sports?  I will list them and you give your opinion on how the teams rank in popularity in that town:

Rams

Chargers

Dodgers

Angels

Lakers

Clippers

Kings

Ducks.

USC

Lakers

Dodgers

Rams

UCLA

Kings

Clippers

Chargers

Ducks and Angels play in Anaheim which is not in Los Angeles or even LA county even though Angels would like you to believe that with their stupid Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim name.

11 minutes ago, Mark O said:

USC

Lakers

Dodgers

Rams

UCLA

Kings

Clippers

Chargers

Ducks and Angels play in Anaheim which is not in Los Angeles or even LA county even though Angels would like you to believe that with their stupid Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim name.

Well...that is still considered the LA market.   No different really than the fact that the Cavs used to play in Summit County, not Cuyahoga....or that the Jets/Giants play across the river.  I mean, the 49ers play in Santa Clara county...which is 2 counties away from San Francisco Co.  That would be like the Browns playing in Stark Co.  The Washington Redskins play in Maryland.  Its not like they are in San Diego.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Well...that is still considered the LA market.   No different really than the fact that the Cavs used to play in Summit County, not Cuyahoga....or that the Jets/Giants play across the river.  I mean, the 49ers play in Santa Clara county...which is 2 counties away from San Francisco Co.  That would be like the Browns playing in Stark Co.  The Washington Redskins play in Maryland.  Its not like they are in San Diego.

But no one in LA cares about the Ducks or the Angels and people in the other counties hate LA so they can't really be in the conversation.

The most popular team in LA is USC.  They get 90,000+ for every home game.   UCLA football is probably 2nd since they get the same for their home games.   The Rams barely get in the 70k range for their home games. 

Just now, Mark O said:

But no one in LA cares about the Ducks or the Angels and people in the other counties hate LA so they can't really be in the conversation.

The most popular team in LA is USC.  They get 90,000+ for every home game.   UCLA football is probably 2nd since they get the same for their home games.   The Rams barely get in the 70k range for their home games. 

Well....what you are saying is that Orange Co. should be treated as a separate market area really  (even though the fact is...for Nielsen ratings and other marketing purposes, it isn't).   But that is not different that when there are other teams in the same town/area.   I know that no one on the north side of Chicago cares about the White Sox.   And I suspect that not many in San Fran care much about the Raiders (even though for now...the Raiders play much closer to downtown SFO  than do the 49ers).  Jets fans will have nothing to do with Giants fans and vice versa...and they play in the same stadium. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....what you are saying is that Orange Co. should be treated as a separate market area really  (even though the fact is...for Nielsen ratings and other marketing purposes, it isn't).   But that is not different that when there are other teams in the same town/area.   I know that no one on the north side of Chicago cares about the White Sox.   And I suspect that not many in San Fran care much about the Raiders (even though for now...the Raiders play much closer to downtown SFO  than do the 49ers).  Jets fans will have nothing to do with Giants fans and vice versa...and they play in the same stadium. 

That would be correct.  Just like the people who believe that because San Diego is also in Southern California, its the same as Los Angeles but that's not the case at all. 

2 minutes ago, Mark O said:

That would be correct.  Just like the people who believe that because San Diego is also in Southern California, its the same as Los Angeles but that's not the case at all. 

And there you are.....Clowns to the left, Jokers to the right....stuck in the middle.    (In the OC)

Archived