THE BROWNS BOARD

AP Rookie of the Year

Zombo

Considered the "official" rookie of the year award by the NFL

From 1957 to 1966, there was only one "Rookie of the Year" and the only Brown to win it was Jim Brown, who won the very first award back in 1957.

Since 1967 there has been an Offensive and Defensive rookie of the year, no Brown has ever won the Offense only award, Chip Banks won the Defensive award in 1982.

Will be announced the night before the Super Bowl at the Honors show in Atlanta ... Good Luck, Baker, the streak breaker ... Break another streak!

Zombo

In a week and a half whatever suspense is left should be over.

Caps a good year for the Cleveland Browns.

as i said in a different thread not only did Baker win games and set a new rookie record for td's  he changed the culture of the team and the city of Cleveland saquan did neither of those things

19 minutes ago, ATOM said:

as i said in a different thread not only did Baker win games and set a new rookie record for td's  he changed the culture of the team and the city of Cleveland saquan did neither of those things

In that other rookie of the week graphic Barkley was ROTW one time Baker was there with RB Chubb a LOT.

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

In that other rookie of the week graphic Barkley was ROTW one time Baker was there with RB Chubb a LOT.

i believe Chubb is on the list to be voted for 

do they put up how many votes each player gets ?

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It would be ignorant to not give him that award.

Don't be shocked if they give it to Saquon though.  :(  NFL.com did some polling, and Barkley was getting a surprising amount of love...  Of course Browns fans feel Baker is far more deserving.  If the AP is the "official" one, 50 members of the AP get a vote....  Wonder if it's like the MLB HOF vote where  you list first, second, and third, and the votes get weighted....   

The AP members were College ranking voters in Football and Mens & Womens Basketball. That all changed in 2012, when the committee was used to also semi-rank NFL teams..this was the list of voters from 2017. https://mvpvoting.wordpress.com/ap-voters   am not a big fan of a lot of these voters.Most are NY based..butt.Let the votes fall where they may as a individual award... But no Team added more individuals to kick start a new winning culture like the Cleveland Browns..NoBody! Good Luck Brownies..

4 hours ago, secondwave said:

A strong argument could have been made for Saquon Barkley this year. Glad Baker won it.

He won the ROTY that isn't the "official" one. The real one with the most prestige will get announced the day before the Super Bowl, and that one is TBD.  

It’s all politics like the Oscars😡📽 Baker deserves it but there are many who don’t like this kid. He’s a leader, outspoken & has taken the losing culture out of the locker room. His snubbing of Hue Jackson literally took the team to a new level! It was as if he was saying; “it’s my locker room now” 

Whats even more impressive is he backs up his words by playing lights out with no true number one receiver. 

I’m on board with Mayfield. Think what he can do with Chubb, Njoku & a big time receiver next year. 

23 hours ago, Opal312 said:

It’s all politics like the Oscars😡📽 Baker deserves it but there are many who don’t like this kid. He’s a leader, outspoken & has taken the losing culture out of the locker room. His snubbing of Hue Jackson literally took the team to a new level! It was as if he was saying; “it’s my locker room now” 

Whats even more impressive is he backs up his words by playing lights out with no true number one receiver. 

I’m on board with Mayfield. Think what he can do with Chubb, Njoku & a big time receiver next year. 

I like your Oscar analogy...  How many times have we seen the smash box office blockbuster get bypassed for the artsy craftsy movie the Academy voters fell in love with for "Best Picture"? 

Though I'm sure Baker would much rather trade "AP Offensive Rookie of the Year" for "Super Bowl MVP".   :) 

Archived