THE BROWNS BOARD

The Missed Call in NFC Champ. Game

BrownsfaninPa

This was a disgrace to all NFL fans. These ref's throw flags on some of the most non-contact plays and this play proves that not one , but two ref's were in view of this penalty. It does no good for the NFL office to say that WE MISSED THAT CALL' Really, what makes you think that. hell millions of fans seen it, the fans in the stadium seen it, the players and coaches seen it, but the two closest ref's went blind all of a sudden. This stuff makes me so mad about ref;s controlling the game. When calls like this occur, I feel the coach has the right to throw a red challenge flag to prove that the ref's were at fault, and let the video speak for its self. Like they say, ref's are human , and make mistakes. So if that's the case, then let the video prove them wrong.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed .....

Refs determine too many games whether its a missed call or a bullshit penalty ..... red flags needs to be extended .... all plays reviewable whether its in the 1st 2 minutes or the last 2

hi Darren, your right, I forgot to mention that ANY play should be reviewable. Now that non touch by Patriots Edleman was a close but accurate call. He did not touch that kick off,  Video proved to be true. But the SAINTS game shouldn't have ended the way it did.

Ref's miss calls, make them when they don't see them. (the hit to Brady's head that wasn't, the non fumble against us that should've been a td for us.)

This is not new.  It's unfortunate that humans blow calls.

What they should do, going forward, is to put it in the hands of the coaches, under the coaches challenge rules.   I don't want to see some guy in New York controlling the game and stopping the game every third play from scrimmage.   If a PI call is made or not, a coach can challenge it.  Offside, false start, a blatant holding.  A coach can challenge all of 'em (a specific incident of course).  But the coach only has a couple of challenges per half so he has to judge the importance of the challenge at hand.   

except THAT CALL ! The unbelievable no doubt about it flagrant interference call when that is where the ball was going?

nah - just because some calls get missed, THAT was NOT a "missed call".

That was intentional - there isn't an rational explanation for it to be some "accident". Just none.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

except THAT CALL ! The unbelievable no doubt about it flagrant interference call when that is where the ball was going?

nah - just because some calls get missed, THAT was NOT a "missed call".

That was intentional - there isn't an rational explanation for it to be some "accident". Just none.

I have to agree with cal. The rams DB intentionally laid out the wr, he even said so after the game...he knew he was beat. How do u miss a call like that? 80k people were looking right at it, im amazed saints fans disnt riot. 

But myles landing on a QB like a fluffy pillow, we dont miss those calls....

Completely disagree, and I'm shocked more of you on this forum didn't call BS. When did this forum become like U Miami after the loss to Ohio State in 03?  Quit whining about one play and ask why they didn't take advantage of the other 50 opportunities they did have.

If the penalty was called, they get a first. OK. Maybe they miss the FG, maybe they fumble. Saints got the ball first in OT and failed there also.

Saints didn't need the refs' help to blow multiple plays in the first half.. and if the refereeing is perfect we also don't know what ADDITIONAL calls would have gone against the Saints.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Completely disagree, and I'm shocked more of you on this forum didn't call BS. When did this forum become like U Miami after the loss to Ohio State in 03?  Quit whining about one play and ask why they didn't take advantage of the other 50 opportunities they did have.

If the penalty was called, they get a first. OK. Maybe they miss the FG, maybe they fumble. Saints got the ball first in OT and failed there also.

Saints didn't need the refs' help to blow multiple plays in the first half.. and if the refereeing is perfect we also don't know what ADDITIONAL calls would have gone against the Saints.

Though I didn't understand Peyton not running the ball on first down and I remember the missed opportunities, I have to disagree.

You have a number of challenges that you should use wisely, so if they miss a PI on first quarter, you may swallow it because humans make mistakes. But when the game is on the line and the tension is growing, the failed calls are less acceptable and not having the chance to review them (even if you don't increase the number of challenges) and FIX human mistakes (even more after showing that mistake to millions of people) is something that should be changed.

I don't want them to have a thousand of challenge flags, I just want the coaches to have the chance to challenge any kind of fault and referees don't whistling the ball dead way too early. Those two situations frustrate me the most.

And I repeat, I don't believe in conspiracy theories.

While it is true that the Saints missed several opportunities to put the game away...

The simple fact is that if the correct call is made and the flag is thrown, the Saints run the clock down to 00 :04 and then kick the game-winning field goal. So yeah, that blown non-call cost the Saints a trip to the SB.

Jeez...... missed or bad calls have been a part of every single sport, at every single level, since that sport was invented. 

Boohoo..... get over it already for fucksake. 

21 hours ago, Baking up Turnovers said:

It was a bad call but the Saints were up big and never should have been in position for the refs to influence the game 

irrelevant...having lost a lead has absolutely nothing to do with the blown call...its a red herring used by folks like you to excuse the incompetence int he product we are served.

at that point in the game, the call changed the likely outcome of the game.  what happened prior to that point is irrelevant.

I agree that missed calls are part of the game. But here u have a completely non borderline situation where a player even acknowledged he purposefully wiped out the WR cause he knew he was beat. They stacked up for the run and brees saw the opening. If u let deliberate violations of the rules slide like that, what kind of sport are we talking about here? 

Would they allow these days a QB to get body slammed after the play like what happened to mcmahon back in the day? Probably not but they essentially allowed something very similiar to be done to a WR. Wiped out and helmet to helmet. More than one flag could have and should have been thrown. This arhument the Saints cost themselves the fame by not going up 50 points earlier is ridiculous. Its 2 of the top 4 teams in the NFL playing each other, one is not going to blow out the other. Not with those defenses. 

1 minute ago, choco said:

irrelevant...having lost a lead has absolutely nothing to do with the blown call...its a red herring used by folks like you to excuse the incompetence int he product we are served.

at that point in the game, the call changed the likely outcome of the game.  what happened prior to that point is irrelevant.

You'd be a great little league parent.....

In the bottom of the 7th little Jenny takes a ball at her shoulders on a full count, 2 outs, bases loaded, down 1 and the ump calls it strike 3 to end the game..... everyone loses their minds. "The ump took the game away from us"....... oh yea?

What about the bases loaded in the bottom of the 1st and our 4, 5 and 6 hitters all go down looking?

What about the over throw by the 3B into the dugout with 2 outs and bases loaded in the top of the 3rd that let 2 runs score?

What about the missed call by the batter on a suicide squeeze that got our runner thrown out in the 5th?

^ Yep, the ump cost us the game alright......... 

16 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Jeez...... missed or bad calls have been a part of every single sport, at every single level, since that sport was invented. 

Boohoo..... get over it already for fucksake. 

I agree that everyone except the Saints and their fans should get over it.    I know if that was the Browns that it happened to in the AFC title game, I still wouldn't be over it.  

But hopefully this forces the league to address how bad the refs performance was pretty much all season.   I don't remember a year when there were so many not just bad calls, but calls that were hard to believe they were called or not called. 

lol...you think thats a good analogy?  you forgot the part where the called third strike was so far out of the strike zone that the catcher had to move off the plate just to keep the ball from going to the backstop.  

otherwise, this nonsensical "logic" is just excuse making.  the saints were driving and were in position to put the game away...decisions or mistakes prior to that dont change the fact the saints were in position to put the game away.  and that was changed by one non-call...had that call been made, saints merely had to kneel to run out the clock.  nothing prior to the non-call changes the fact that the non-call had a huge impact on the game at that point.  i wonder how you feet about the browns getting jobbed in the bad spot in oakland...

so, the basis of you point is simple..."saints should have scored more and not made mistakes".  thats absofuckinglutely brilliant...and completely ignores the other team also has good players, and is also trying to win the game.

really...that is such a sad defense of an indefensible position.

The shit is out of hand, Any NFL player will tell you Holding happens on every single play, and it is the refs call if they want to throw a flag or not. That is bullshit, No play should be a judgement call for the refs. Just like many of you guys I can name hundreds if not thousands of plays where the refs fucked us for no reason at all, and yes it has happened to other teams as well but it should never happen. Just like that bullshit game agains the Skins a few years back, Duke Johnson came out of the pile with the ball, whil the refs were still uncovering the pile but that **MASK** ref already awarded the Skins the ball. They could not challenge that? WTF? same game and same ref threw 2 DPI calls on Haden when video replay showed no contact, like several years back, we stopped Pispuke on 4th and goal but for no reason  at all they awarded Pisspuke the First down. It is hard to argue that the refs don't rig games when shit like this happens. But I guess we have to keep in mind that the courts already had argued and the NFL won the case  that the NFL is sports entertainment not competition.

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

I agree that everyone except the Saints and their fans should get over it.    I know if that was the Browns that it happened to in the AFC title game, I still wouldn't be over it.  

But hopefully this forces the league to address how bad the refs performance was pretty much all season.   I don't remember a year when there were so many not just bad calls, but calls that were hard to believe they were called or not called. 

We are not over the fact that the refs got the call on Karliss's kick wrong.....in the 1986 AFC title game. 

I mean, after that the league extended the height of the goal posts so that that issue has hardly ever come up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZofANQu74

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

You'd be a great little league parent.....

In the bottom of the 7th little Jenny takes a ball at her shoulders on a full count, 2 outs, bases loaded, down 1 and the ump calls it strike 3 to end the game..... everyone loses their minds. "The ump took the game away from us"....... oh yea?

What about the bases loaded in the bottom of the 1st and our 4, 5 and 6 hitters all go down looking?

What about the over throw by the 3B into the dugout with 2 outs and bases loaded in the top of the 3rd that let 2 runs score?

What about the missed call by the batter on a suicide squeeze that got our runner thrown out in the 5th?

^ Yep, the ump cost us the game alright......... 

I feel you. But it’s about perspective. And the ref shouldn’t have control in the outcome of the game by not doing there job and throwing the flag.

Coaches should get 1 penalty challenge flag per game(one additional if they win the challenge), where they can replay challenge a BS call or no call. Simple fix.

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

We are not over the fact that the refs got the call on Karliss's kick wrong.....in the 1986 AFC title game. 

I mean, after that the league extended the height of the goal posts so that that issue has hardly ever come up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZofANQu74

I'm over it.    it was 33 years ago.  

33 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I'm over it.    it was 33 years ago.  

Good for you.   

But we could take a poll:    Who either is....or is not  "over"  the bad call by the refs in the 1986 title game?

Just remember this:  

The Godfather, 1969: Don Corleone nodded. "Revenge is a dish that tastes best when it is cold," he said.
Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn, 1982: Kirk, old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb, "Revenge is a dish best served cold"?

4 hours ago, Mark O said:

I know if that was the Browns that it happened to

I was in the stadium when the refs totally failed on the Browns TD when they returned the Ravens fumble.. which lost us the game.  Every Ravens fan [seats are expensive, they're smart] around me agreed we should have had the TD. I'm over it.

Refs admitted they missed multiple calls which would have given us a win vs Raiders - and therefore put us in the playoffs if the above fumble had been called correctly.

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I was in the stadium when the refs totally failed on the Browns TD when they returned the Ravens fumble.. which lost us the game.  Every Ravens fan [seats are expensive, they're smart] around me agreed we should have had the TD. I'm over it.

Refs admitted they missed multiple calls which would have given us a win vs Raiders - and therefore put us in the playoffs if the above fumble had been called correctly.

Are you seriously comparing a non-TD in a Browns game that meant nothing to the Saints missing out on a Super Bowl trip?

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Are you seriously comparing a non-TD in a Browns game that meant nothing to the Saints missing out on a Super Bowl trip?

While the setting for the bad calls is not nearly as dramatic,  the problem is the same:  refs making terrible calls.

Besides....in  sense, those bad calls could theoretically have been just as important.   Those bad calls lose the Browns a game....a game which, if they had won, would have meant that they could have possibly still had a chance to make a playoff spot.

In that context, it certainly was NOT a game that meant nothing.  Maybe not quite as much, but certainly not nothing.

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And the fact that the one in the Browns game was one that in real time, 99% of the referees would've called it exactly the same way as it was called in the game.    The call in the Saints game was one that everyone watching on tv and in the stadium in real time could see that in was interference without question. 

The call against the Browns on the goal line went exactly the same way the very next weekend and was called against the Ravens and if the review had come back that it was a fumble, it would've cost them a TD as well.  

To me....the call against the Browns in that game was not all that bad of a call.   It was unfortunate that it happened but in real time it sure looked like a TD.   The replay had to be slowed down and paused to tell the ball didn't make it to the goal line.  When it takes that kind of scrutiny to determine what happened, its hard to expect an official to see it on the field in real time.

Archived