THE BROWNS BOARD

Mainstream media is wrong again

Westside Steve

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Right wing media and Trump's administration will keep this in the light as long as possible. 

Also, I should have guessed those were private school kids. Fits the whole stereotype

13 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yep. Private school kids are probably smarter.

WSS

On average, probably. I would guess grades improve as family wealth does.

But, in my experience, on average, private school kids are also pretty damn stuck up. That smug face being the perfect stereotype

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

On average, probably. I would guess grades improve as family wealth does.

But, in my experience, on average, private school kids are also pretty damn stuck up. That smug face being the perfect stereotype

I wouldn't say family wealth necessarily even though your old man's got plenty of dough right? And you're pretty smart right? Point is the parents that sacrifice to send their kids to a private school probably care more than most at JFK. On our way to forensic tournaments we would often stopped up on North Hill to pick up a black girl who was really good. Her parents were really cool and loved her a lot and appreciated  wed take her to the tournaments. Just saying the family that cares about their kids is more important then being rich.

WSS

18 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Yep, kids shouldn't be harassed. These high schoolers. Parkland survivors. Etc.

Though I think it's fine to joke about Hogg in here. Or say that kid looked like a smug asshole. But it may just be because he's a kid. 

Any high schooler that's out there and really politically active, especially in groups, I think you can question their motives. Just like you might dismiss a bunch of liberal, millennial, snowflakes complaining about something I think that holds here with smug, mostly white males, wearing MAGA hats to get a response out of others. Now if they can really speak to their views, ok that's different.

Those were high school kids on a field trip. The adults should be charged with a hate crime 

Look they did not care if the story was true or not, fact is they saw a group of Catholic kids, some wearing Trump hats and decided to start a bullshit story and then move away from it while people are still uncovering the bullshit they started, they don't care if they got this kid killed or not, if the kid does get killed they will blame Trump.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:55 PM, Westside Steve said:

I wouldn't say family wealth necessarily even though your old man's got plenty of dough right? And you're pretty smart right? Point is the parents that sacrifice to send their kids to a private school probably care more than most at JFK. On our way to forensic tournaments we would often stopped up on North Hill to pick up a black girl who was really good. Her parents were really cool and loved her a lot and appreciated  wed take her to the tournaments. Just saying the family that cares about their kids is more important then being rich.

WSS

And it's much easier to support and care for your child's education when you have an education as well, don't need to work two jobs, can provide the supplies they need, and generally just live in a nicer area. 

We're not rich. Not private school rich. He did well for himself and was smart about saving for our college. Grandma had a lot of contribution as well because my grandpa did well for himself running his business back in the day (passed away before I was born). Still had some student loan debt but nothing awful. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

And it's much easier to support and care for your child's education when you have an education as well, don't need to work two jobs, can provide the supplies they need, and generally just live in a nicer area. 

I think it's a bad way to look at things because there's absolutely no reason poor people can't be good honest loving parents. Matter of fact it should make more sense when you don't have the f u money. You've got each other. 

We're not rich. Not private school rich. He did well for himself and was smart about saving for our college. Grandma had a lot of contribution as well because my grandpa did well for himself running his business back in the day (passed away before I was born). Still had some student loan debt but nothing awful. 

oh I didn't get the idea your old man was loaded but certainly above-average.

WSS

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Breast Feeding Hungry GIF - BreastFeeding Hungry GIFs

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm going to be quite truthful here.  You sound pretty fucking pathetic.  And unproductive.  

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I'm going to be quite truthful here.  You sound pretty fucking pathetic.  And unproductive.  

Remember how you were in disbelief when I said I was in charge of manufacturing operators, and that I also hire and fire? I'm now in charge of our manufacturing engineering department. I have a team of degreed engineers I'm over. 

I don't want to go into all of this, but if you're calling me "unproductive" or whatever, you can fuck off. I was fortunate enough to have my family contribute a lot to my undergraduate education. If that makes pathetic in your eyes, so be it. 

And I realize there's no winning responding to you here...

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I think you've watched too many hollywood movies about Charlie and the Chocolate factory poor families that all come together and love each other, or whatever. Parents can be good, loving parents regardless of their income. But just loving your kid a whole lot doesn't make up for a potentially significant financial disadvantage. 

Is  it going to be easier to assist and foster your child's education if dad works his normal job and mom stays at home or if both parents have to work more than a job to make ends meet? As household income rises, SAT scores rise as well. Better access to educational resources, more likely to have parents with a history of education, etc. 

Google says the median household income in Ohio in 2010 (my Sr. year) was about $50k. Looking up what exactly "middle class" is shows a very wide  range. Like $40k to $130k in 2017. So we were definitely middle class. My dad is self employed, I know he had good years and bad years. On also know he's very good with money and we definitely lived within our means. We were most likely above that median number the majority of the time. So we'd probably be "upper middle" class? Or middle upper middle... idk.

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I think you've watched too many hollywood movies about Charlie and the Chocolate factory poor families that all come together and love each other, or whatever. Parents can be good, loving parents regardless of their income. But just loving your kid a whole lot doesn't make up for a potentially significant financial disadvantage. 

Is  it going to be easier to assist and foster your child's education if dad works his normal job and mom stays at home or if both parents have to work more than a job to make ends meet? As household income rises, SAT scores rise as well. Better access to educational resources, more likely to have parents with a history of education, etc. 

Google says the median household income in Ohio in 2010 (my Sr. year) was about $50k. Looking up what exactly "middle class" is shows a very wide  range. Like $40k to $130k in 2017. So we were definitely middle class. My dad is self employed, I know he had good years and bad years. On also know he's very good with money and we definitely lived within our means. We were most likely above that median number the majority of the time. So we'd probably be "upper middle" class? Or middle upper middle... idk.

I think you're a drawing of false comparison. Maybe instead of watching movies about  the Chocolate Factory you are listening to speeches by Cortes and Sanders . Here's a fact gun violence and drug use are more prevalent among One race. It happens in other races as well but one stands out. Is that because of the race or environment?

People aren't poor or middle class or Rich just by random lot. The shity neighborhoods you speak of are inhabited by poor people but that's because they can't afford more. It's a vicious circle. Middle-class and upper-middle-class people are there for reasons too.  Luck may play A Part but not a big one. Single teenage mothers, drug use generations of welfare Etc go a lot further to decide your lot in life.

Black or white.

Anecdotally my father couldn't get into medical school after World War II so he went to Kent State for lab technology shawanda pin pharmaceutical sales. We are from Carrollton originally but moved around a lot. Carrollton is probably on the lower end other Financial Spectrum among counties in Ohio. There are successful and educated people there and there are Hillbillies, God bless them but the reasons for those lots in life are the same as anywhere. 

WSS

Archived