THE BROWNS BOARD

The nominations are in

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/01/22/oscars-nominations-2019-list/amp/

Well that's good. I've seen a few that were predicted to get a nomination that were pretty much a waste of time but I've seen all these best pictures. I really don't see one that's worthy of an Oscar but there are some I didn't hate as badly as others. Damned with faint praise?

By the way Roma is not even an English so it can blow me.

WSS

Best Picture
Black Panther

mediocre superhero movie only there because it played the race card
BlacKkKlansman

crappy movie but typical Spike Lee hates the white man crap
Bohemian Rhapsody

not a great movie, a paint-by-numbers biopic, but if you really like Queen it should be pretty enjoyable. 
The Favourite

I found it dull and disgusting. No entertainment value whatsoever.
Green Book

yet another film about race relations but with an uplifting message and compelling characters.
Roma

foreign language? Netflix? Blow me.
A Star Is Born

enjoyable enough. Pretty good performances and even though Lady Gaga with better than you might expect she's still not on par with real actresses.
Vice

didn't particularly care for the movie witch tried too hard to make their political accusations stick but excellent performances especially from Christian Bale

wSS

Best Picture

Black Panther....a decent superhero movies (far better origin story than say Aquaman)...but agree with Steve...only on the list because it is Africentric

BlacKkKlansman

Bohemian Rhapsody

The Favourite

Green Book

Roma

A Star Is Born

Vice....Only other one I saw. A two sided look at the coin that was Dick Cheney. But I would not say it was Best picture material at all.

So...hopefully one of the ones I have not seen will be worth.

Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale, Vice....Only one I have seen.  His performance would be worth it

Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born

Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate

Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Actress in a Leading Role

Yalitza Aparicio, Roma

Glenn Close, The Wife

Olivia Colman, The Favourite

Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born

Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Saw none of these.

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, Vice.....only one I saw.  She too could be worthy to win.

Marina de Tavira, Roma

Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Emma Stone, The Favourite

Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman

Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born

Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Sam Rockwell, Vice   Only one I saw.....his performance NOT worthy in my opinion. Only had a brief time on screen and came off cartoonish.

Directing

BlacKkKlansman, Spike Lee

Cold War, Paweł Pawlikowski

The Favourite, Yorgos Lanthimos

Roma, Alfonso Cuarón

Vice, Adam McKay...only one I saw....Meh

Adapted Screenplay

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen  Only one I saw.  I could root for it easily

BlacKkKlansman, Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, and Spike Lee

Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty

If Beale Street Could Talk, Barry Jenkins

A Star Is Born, Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, and Will Fetters

Original Screenplay

The Favourite, Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara

First Reformed, Paul Schrader

Green Book, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, and Peter Farrelly

Roma, Alfonso Cuarón

Vice, Adam McKay

saw none.

So...since there are so many of these movies/performances that I have not seen, I will have to do so....if they are still playing.

I didn't see that many movies this year.  In looking back, it was only certain big box office movies that I saw:

Black Panther

Vice.......these first two the only ones on the list

Ready Player One

Crazy Rich Asians  (saw on a plane)

The Crimes of Grindelwald

Aquaman

Solo

The Avengers-Infinity Wars

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Predator

The Incredibles 2

Jurassic World...Fallen Kingdom

Mission Impossible...Fallout

The Cloverfield Paradox

The House with the Clock in the Walls.

So, as you can see there were a ton of movies I did not see.   Of the above...the one, to me, that was the most entertaining was probably the Mission Impossible-Fallout movie.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:14 AM, Westside Steve said:

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/01/22/oscars-nominations-2019-list/amp/

Well that's good. I've seen a few that were predicted to get a nomination that were pretty much a waste of time but I've seen all these best pictures. I really don't see one that's worthy of an Oscar but there are some I didn't hate as badly as others. Damned with faint praise?

By the way Roma is not even an English so it can blow me.

WSS

I thought majority of movies sucked this year Westside Steve.

23 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

So if you have Black in the movie title, it qualifies for an Oscar this year?

True enough. The affirmative action Oscars thanks and part 2 1 of the least talented members of their race,Wiill Smith.

Race relations are the number one qualifier followed closely by homosexuality or Mexicans.

WSS

Christ, I don't think I've watched any of these movies, and I work on movies, this is ridiculous.

Roma will probably win a lot of things, since the academy has a hardon for Cuaron.

Christian Bale is an incredible actor. Havent seen the Cheney movie, and I dislike Cheney, but I heard the man pulled a Raging Bull again. Only Daniel Day Lewis is a better actor I think.

First Reformed, Paul Schrader - hmmm, Paul wrote taxi driver in two days with a loaded gun in his desk so i might have to check this out. Great screenwriter, and a great guy. This and Roma are the only movies that interest me. How many of these so called "movies" are original?

Maybe i'll have to make one of my own one of these days.

14 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Christ, I don't think I've watched any of these movies, and I work on movies, this is ridiculous.

Roma will probably win a lot of things, since the academy has a hardon for Cuaron.

Christian Bale is an incredible actor. Havent seen the Cheney movie, and I dislike Cheney, but I heard the man pulled a Raging Bull again. Only Daniel Day Lewis is a better actor I think.

well they are both Elite. So is Gary Oldman for that matter. So is Kenneth Branagh.

First Reformed, Paul Schrader - hmmm, Paul wrote taxi driver in two days with a loaded gun in his desk so i might have to check this out. Great screenwriter, and a great guy. This and Roma are the only movies that interest me. How many of these so called "movies" are original?

Maybe i'll have to make one of my own one of these days.

like I said Romo isn't in English so it can blow me. But I would like to see first reformed. It's probably on some streaming service by now.

WSS

On 1/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, JPPT1974 said:

Yeah as Christian Bale may win again. And really go see Star is Born. As need to see the other remakes again.

From a guy who's seen most of the oscar movies, and most of them being underwhelming, i'd say 100% CB deserves the award for his masterful transformation into Cheney. I didn't like "Vice" that much, but CB did an excellent job.

Archived