THE BROWNS BOARD

A Cap Primer for Board "Spendthrifts"...

Tour2ma

I'm still quite newbie on the cap matters, but it is fair to say that you want to use the carryover only when say you start red hot the season so you have a legitimate shot at the Superbowl, thus can take your chances on a last minute free agency savings like the Eagles did signing Ajayi in October 2017 from the Dolphins? 

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I'm still quite newbie on the cap matters, but it is fair to say that you want to use the carryover only when say you start red hot the season so you have a legitimate shot at the Superbowl, thus can take your chances on a last minute free agency savings like the Eagles did signing Ajayi in October 2017 from the Dolphins? 

Not quite, though that's part of it. As the article said, the carryover is the savings bank for the future. Assuming they continue to play at their current level, it's going to take huge money to keep Garrett and Mayfield around when they come off their rookie deals.

You don't want to be in the position you can't resign your star players (Dolpins, Suh, Landry) because you can't afford them. 

45 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Not quite, though that's part of it. As the article said, the carryover is the savings bank for the future. Assuming they continue to play at their current level, it's going to take huge money to keep Garrett and Mayfield around when they come off their rookie deals.

You don't want to be in the position you can't resign your star players (Dolpins, Suh, Landry) because you can't afford them. 

I'd say that with the short windows teams usually have to try to get the ring, you have to take risks. That's why I was talking October. If you start 5-0, you can think of adding players you may need when clutch games arrive.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I'd say that with the short windows teams usually have to try to get the ring, you have to take risks. That's why I was talking October. If you start 5-0, you can think of adding players you may need when clutch games arrive.

Ah, the "one player away" from getting to the Super Bowl....  Would that have made any difference to the teams that came up one game short this year, the Saints and Chiefs?  It's why in the McCoy thread I was saying sorry, the Browns aren't "one player away", and still probably won't be when October rolls around, barring Dorsey pulling not just one, but several rabbits out of his hat.  :)  

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. The Saints would be in the Big Game if that guy hadn't jumped offsides...   

Also, if you come up short, 90% + of the time you're sent directly to Cap Hell, do not pass go, do not collect $100. That's what happened to the Dolphins when they gave Suh that humongous contract. The Vikings thought all they needed to get to the Promised Land was a top franchise QB. Handed Cousins a record contract- and didn't even make the playoffs...  FWIW, it took the Dolphins two years to get out of Cap Hell, and the Vikings currently are the second worst in the league in cap room- only the Panthers are in worse shape...  

5 hours ago, darren15 said:

So basically we are doomed and have the same amount of cap room as the Steelers .....

If you dug a little deeper, the Browns do have options. The big one is (as I assume they will) cut or restructure Jamie Collins. Another guy we had to overpay when we were in the dumpster. That will free up around $9 million.  Tyrod Taylor's $16 million is off the books too....  

But it does put in perspective Dorsey probably isn't going to hand out a $23 million contract to a FA. 

18 hours ago, Nero said:

Earlier than October, but otherwise I agree.

Every year a couple teams go into FA season believing they are a "player or two away" from the Super Bowl. You need "dry powder" ($$$) to fill those needs.

Archived