THE BROWNS BOARD

Is the INDIANS' 2019 offense really as bad as it appears?

mjp28

Is the Cleveland Indians' offense really as bad as it appears to be? Hey, Hoynsie!

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com | Posted January 19, 2019 at 05:59 PM | Updated January 19, 2019 at 07:34 PM

Did the front office get the memo about the Tribe's lineup?

Hey, Hoynsie: Do you think the Indians' front office and owner are aware of how weak their batting order is as of the third week of January? Do you think they will add at least one big bat before the season starts and who that might be? -- Joe Eversole, Pelham, Ala.

Hey, Joe: We just talk about this stuff, they live it so, yes, they're certainly aware of the holes in this lineup. But it's not like it just snuck up on them yesterday. They knew this was coming.

I do think they will add a bat before opening day, but I don't know how big a bat it will be. It doesn't sound like they were in on Avisail Garcia -- not a big fan after seeing him butcher so many balls in right field for the White Sox -- who signed a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Rays. So you can put that in your back pocket as far as prices go.........THESE AND OTHERS AT CLEVELAND.COM.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

A solution for the Tribe's bullpen and outfield problems

Hey, Hoynsie:  Here's how to fix the Indians' bullpen and outfield. They should sign free agents Hunter Strickland and Justin Wilson for the pen. In the outfield, they should sign Adam Jones, Derek Dietrich and/or Josh Harrison. Do you think these players would be good fits for the Tribe? -- Steven Ward, Chardon.

Hey, Steven: I think all those players would help, but there's one problem. The Indians have dealt themselves out of the free agent market to date. The only significant additions they've made to the roster have been through trades. They just let their all-time saves leader (Cody Allen) sign a one-year deal with the Angels because apparently they couldn't afford to keep him.

If they do sign a free agent, I think they'll wait until the price goes down. That could be in February or March. The players you mentioned should be signed by then. If not, maybe we'll talk again........

Archived