THE BROWNS BOARD

Gerald McCoy

LondonBrown

2 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

yeah but your LDE isn't typically 34 NT size. That being said, one of the guys im going to watch at the combine is Raekwon...he's 315 but he's also 6'7 and can move. And he was slated to go around 20....he did disappear in the championship game, but so did Jonathan Allen and he had 9 sacks this year for the Vikes. Raekwon's strength is already NFL ready and if I read right, he might "right now" be in the upper tier in terms of strength In the entire NFL. If he has enough bend and edge mechanics i'll be team Raekwon come the draft, unless Lawrence falls to us. 

Allen plays for the skins.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, darren15 said:

Grady Jarrett is the guy I want

I'd like him as well but I would say there is little chance the falcons don't keep him one way or another.

The key will be what we do in free agency.  That is purely filling needs.  It would be nice to check off a few needs so we can enter the draft with the mind we are going to draft the best players and not worry much about what position they play with a few exceptions.  Obviously we aren't going to draft a QB or RB high in the draft.  We may end up drafting one or both positions, but it will be the 4th round before much consideration is given to those positions.

My feeling is we have real needs at DT, LB, safety, and maybe OT.  I don't see receiver as a big need.  That is assuming we get Higgins and Perriman signed.  At least one of them.  I liked Willies.  He has great speed and offers a big target.  I think he will breakout next season.  He can stretch the field as can Callaway.  We also have to consider we now have a QB who can throw guys open.  Lets fill a few needs in FA to open up the possibilities of the draft.

Needs still play a role in the draft process.  Once you get past the top of the draft players, the player ratings start to bunch up.  You usually don't have one player who is clearly the best on the board.  You might have 3-4 guys rated pretty much the same.  At that point you might allow needs to dictate the pick.

It's going to be fun to watch this thing unfold!

Falcons have a est. cap space of 4.6M. A Julio Jones that owners said they owe him a relook at contract (again).. Jarrett was a 5th rounder from Clemson. Owns a Market Value of 5 yrs.76.2M looking 15.2M per season.RB Tevin Coleman is also up having a market value of 5M per season. I'd say the draft judges will take a serious look at Dexter Lawrence enhancer background & Wilkins stock will properly rise.. 11 draft bullets, and a long way to go to even guess. One thing Dorsey has proven drafting? Players NFL future on field talent outlook can outweigh a players rough background.. troubled guys won't chase off Dorsey. From Tunsil & after, they tumble every draft   

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

???           That might be one of the best rotations on this team between Randall, Peppers, Calhoun and Kindred.      

Improving the run defense has to be priority #1.  The early draft talking heads have us taking a DT or LB first...   We need d-line depth so Garret can take a series off now and then and not be gassed in the 4th quarter... 

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Improving the run defense has to be priority #1.  The early draft talking heads have us taking a DT or LB first...   We need d-line depth so Garret can take a series off now and then and not be gassed in the 4th quarter... 

More than likely ( especially with Wilks on board) our first couple picks will look that way.  It's a name I've dropped before and will continue to do so until I've watched him thoroughly - Christian Wilkins.  I also would be interested to see if Carl Davis can absorb some meaningful time in the middle should we go LB 1st.  I like him when he was in Baltimore and felt he could make an impact on early downs with limited work.  Big reasoning being that he wasn't in the best of condition when coming out from Iowa.     He only has a snap log for 5 games according to Pro football reference.    Honestly that would have to be one I would need to check for myself to trust.  

My biggest concern is the need for our front 4 to pressure the QB more without the additional 5th or 6th man.  Ogbah has been underwhelming thus far.   Which is why I feel Avery will be an awesome rotational piece moving forward.

RE: Myles.   I would like to see Zettel and Chris Smith get some more meaningful snaps to help spell our ends.  I feel that alone would go a long way to easing Garrett through a season.

22 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

yeah but your LDE isn't typically 34 NT size. That being said, one of the guys im going to watch at the combine is Raekwon...he's 315 but he's also 6'7 and can move. And he was slated to go around 20....he did disappear in the championship game, but so did Jonathan Allen and he had 9 sacks this year for the Vikes. Raekwon's strength is already NFL ready and if I read right, he might "right now" be in the upper tier in terms of strength In the entire NFL. If he has enough bend and edge mechanics i'll be team Raekwon come the draft, unless Lawrence falls to us. 

Raekwon Davis-Bama??--scratch...He's headed back to Bama :excl: scratch Auburn- Derrick Brown also..

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

the issue is the great DT's and even the good DT's will likely be gone by 17. My one holdout is how far Lawrence drops. If we could get up to 10 we could prob pick up a really good DT. And we have to find a DE in FA to compliment Garrett. Ansah or Flowers. If we can't move up, and those good DT's are gone....that's why I made the thread a few weeks ago to trade out and load up more picks to move up next year. 

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

the issue is the great DT's and even the good DT's will likely be gone by 17. My one holdout is how far Lawrence drops. If we could get up to 10 we could prob pick up a really good DT. And we have to find a DE in FA to compliment Garrett. Ansah or Flowers. If we can't move up, and those good DT's are gone....that's why I made the thread a few weeks ago to trade out and load up more picks to move up next year. 

You know my position- there's no way in hell we're trading out of the first round in 2019.  Move up to #10? Draft value says it will take our second rounder, or both thirds might get it done. I can't see Dorsey with his philosophy build through the draft giving up picks unless there's someone there he has to have. This isn't the Sashi stockpile picks for the future mentality. It's what can we do to improve the team in the draft NOW. The Browns are obviously in get to the playoffs mode, so waiting until 2020 to cash in isn't going to happen. 

And regarding Ansah- yeah he's good, maybe even very good if healthy.  He's also going to be damn expensive to sign- that's if the Lions don't decide to tag him. Doubt he'll settle for less than the $17 million he got this year. MHO? Color Dorsey not interested...  

Dorsey & Friends obviously know talent better than any of us & has proven that, sooooo, I am gonna wait & see who he comes up with through free agency and/or draft. Like many others, I'll listen about hot prospects, but Dorsey will get 'er done.

Mike

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Dorsey & Friends obviously know talent better than any of us & has proven that, sooooo, I am gonna wait & see who he comes up with through free agency and/or draft. Like many others, I'll listen about hot prospects, but Dorsey will get 'er done.

Mike

Because he's in the CLE front office I'm still scarred from the past 20 years.  Going to take another solid draft or so before I'm all homer-ish about it.  

That said,  I have a bit of optimism I've never head. 

6 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Like we have any choice but to wait?

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

And regarding Ansah- yeah he's good, maybe even very good if healthy.  He's also going to be damn expensive to sign- that's if the Lions don't decide to tag him. Doubt he'll settle for less than the $17 million he got this year. MHO? Color Dorsey not interested...  

Ansah already got franchised, thats why he got the 17m. He's not getting anywhere near that on the open market. Flowers will prob be looking in that 17 to 20m range....which is why i hope we scoop ansah and soon. 

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Because he's in the CLE front office I'm still scarred from the past 20 years.  Going to take another solid draft or so before I'm all homer-ish about it.  

That said,  I have a bit of optimism I've never head. 

Same here. I'm quite a newbie into Browns fandom, but I still can't feel in ecstacy about the HC nor the GM, when both have been in Cleveland for such a short period. I can't say "Dorsey will get it done, Kitchens will make ours a top offense in the league..." Because the sample size is small comparing to what this organization has been through.

Anyway, I don't see any red flags or signals to worry about, so I remain optimistic :)

8 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

Why did KC let go of Dorsey?

rumor has it that he rubbed folks the wrong way and by that they meant good drafts i am confused as was Dorsey as he did say he was surprised he was let go

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Ansah already got franchised, thats why he got the 17m. He's not getting anywhere near that on the open market. Flowers will prob be looking in that 17 to 20m range....which is why i hope we scoop ansah and soon. 

Wishful thinking on your part. If he's not getting that on the open market, then why wouldn't the Lions try to resign him? & if Detroit franchised him they must have thought he was worth the $17 million- or are you saying teams are going to look at him as damaged goods and lowball him?  Only takes two teams to get in a bidding war. 

We can't do anything- regarding Ansah- or any other free agent for that matter- until mid- March, not exactly "soon". So it's all Dorsey and staff looking at tape of potential free agents for weeks. There's also the Senior Bowl this week and then the Combine to keep them busy figuring out if any potential draft picks are going to be a better value than Free Agents.....  

Just mucking around, last year the #17 pick was Derwin James who got a total contract of around $12 million. I'd say that's a better value than paying Ansah something like $12 million a year. There was plenty of NFL starter talent that got drafted at #17 and lower, Vander Esch, Ridley, Michel for starters. It's not very likely the Browns will totally trade out of the first round...  

55 minutes ago, ATOM said:

rumor has it that he rubbed folks the wrong way and by that they meant good drafts i am confused as was Dorsey as he did say he was surprised he was let go

Rumors were he didn't get along with Andy Reid. One of them had to go- supposedly.  Would make sense with the way Dorsey went about hiring coaches here- "we all have to be one big happy family and get along together just fine".  

On 1/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Canton Mike said:

Who cares? Their loss=our gain!

We should. He doesn't play well with others and that wears on an organization. My feel is that Dorsey does not relish sharing the spotlight.

Right now Berea is so starved for success that all will be well for a while as long as we continue the 2018 improvement trajectory.

Right now Dorsey has his first, hand-picked CLE HC... a rookie... who isn't going to buck anything out of gratitude, but as Kitch grows in the job... as his confidence grows with the success for which we all hope... he's going to become more his own man and more the face of the Browns organization (with Baker obviously being the face of the Browns). And based upon the resolve I saw in his intro he's got steel in him.

We shall see...

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

We should. He doesn't play well with others and that wears on an organization. My feel is that Dorsey does not relish sharing the spotlight.

Right now Berea is so starved for success that all will be well for a while as long as we continue the 2018 improvement trajectory.

Right now Dorsey has his first, hand-picked CLE HC... a rookie... who isn't going to buck anything out of gratitude, but as Kitch grows in the job... as his confidence grows with the success for which we all hope... he's going to become more his own man and more the face of the Browns organization (with Baker obviously being the face of the Browns). And based upon the resolve I saw in his intro he's got steel in him.

We shall see...

But- if Dorsey was able to tell Haslam to go sit in the Owner's Box, and get the hell out of the way, it's a good thing, at least short term...  And he's not dealing with a head coach the stature of Andy Reid to butt heads with.... He butted the Huebatross out of town who apparently had an ego problem...  

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:12 PM, hoorta said:

Wishful thinking on your part. If he's not getting that on the open market, then why wouldn't the Lions try to resign him? & if Detroit franchised him they must have thought he was worth the $17 million- or are you saying teams are going to look at him as damaged goods and lowball him?  Only takes two teams to get in a bidding war. 

We can't do anything- regarding Ansah- or any other free agent for that matter- until mid- March, not exactly "soon". So it's all Dorsey and staff looking at tape of potential free agents for weeks. There's also the Senior Bowl this week and then the Combine to keep them busy figuring out if any potential draft picks are going to be a better value than Free Agents.....  

Just mucking around, last year the #17 pick was Derwin James who got a total contract of around $12 million. I'd say that's a better value than paying Ansah something like $12 million a year. There was plenty of NFL starter talent that got drafted at #17 and lower, Vander Esch, Ridley, Michel for starters. It's not very likely the Browns will totally trade out of the first round...  

No way Ansah gets within even a couple Mill of 17. I think the Lions franchised him this season cause they knew Patricia was coming in. But I think from what I read he wants done in Detroit. Not sure how hot he's going to be persued. I think you have Demarcus and Flowers as the top two coveted DE's in FA this year so we might be able to work out a quick deal....we do have a really good situation on the front 7 to entice him with. Rushing opposite Garrett and having maybe another FA DT inside or a noted draft pick perhaps....I dunno. We'll see how draft day pans out. 

Chris Ballard & John Dorsey put KC back on the map getting personal..Dorsey still speaks highly of Chris Ballard GM at Colts & that may never change. here's a fair picture into Dorsey aparent fall at KC & were not even close to entering the darkest part of the forest yet.. https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook  Haslam can't fall into the trap, that Dorsey can only continue to hit homeruns in every draft. last draft are just so rare. Jimmy/Dorsey over paying their own & timely FA's could become JD's doom?Duke & Randall,Hubbard,Carrie & Landry, JD's ink is still drying..and as always, winning keeps jobs   

On 1/26/2019 at 2:00 AM, gumby73 said:

Chris Ballard & John Dorsey put KC back on the map getting personal..Dorsey still speaks highly of Chris Ballard GM at Colts & that may never change. here's a fair picture into Dorsey aparent fall at KC & were not even close to entering the darkest part of the forest yet.. https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook  Haslam can't fall into the trap, that Dorsey can only continue to hit homeruns in every draft. last draft are just so rare. Jimmy/Dorsey over paying their own & timely FA's could become JD's doom?Duke & Randall,Hubbard,Carrie & Landry, JD's ink is still drying..and as always, winning keeps jobs   

Read that article when Dorsey was hired. Flaterin' it aint'....

Archived