THE BROWNS BOARD

Jarvis Landry headed to pro bowl

Alkid3

Man people don’t like it when you don’t go with the status quo round here 😀

The Numbers being quoted like basic catches are too raw, they need to be delved into much more and people are paid a lot of money to do so. I’m first to admit I’m a nerd but there are plenty in the Browns front office as well. Podesta and Berry for example, and I can guarantee they’re looking at Landrys production vs contract and thinking.....bad value for the Browns. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

It has nothing to do with that.  It has to do with A) you're beating a dead horse, we heard it from you all season and (B) using terms like "he sucks" when talking about someone who you clearly have a problem with and his performance on the field is far from "sucking".    Who cares what his contract is or what he's being paid.  It's not my money so who cares.   He makes plays and catches passes thrown his way, something that has been lacking around here for years. 

As has been pointed out, hes caught more passes in his first 5 years in the league than anyone else who has played the game, explain to me again how that "sucks"?

Becasue the dolphins were dumping the ball off to him Constantly? It certainly didn’t achieve any wins did it really, not many anyway. 

Catches numbers alone are meaningless without any further investigation, in my opinion of course.  

The money will matter when we have to start paying our excellent young players, can’t be short sighted in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

The money will matter when we have to start paying our excellent young players, can’t be short sighted in that regard. 

But that's not this year or even next year so he's going to be here awhile.   

19 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

1) Because the Dolphins were dumping the ball off to him Constantly? It certainly didn’t achieve any wins did it really, not many anyway. 

2) Catches numbers alone are meaningless without any further investigation, in my opinion of course.  

3) The money will matter when we have to start paying our excellent young players, can’t be short sighted in that regard. 

1) How is that a bad thing when you have an outlet receiver that's getting open when no one else is?  Tannehill sort of sucks- and when he was hurt, whoever was doing the QBing for the Dolphins sucked even worse.  

2) As I already pointed out- the nerd numbers you're using to denigrate Landry's performance are skewed in favor of YAC.  So tell me how that's being "objective". It's looking at one freaking aspect of being a WR. I countered that with two different stats that put Jarvis in the top 25 wide receivers in the NFL.... That my friend, does not "suck". 

3) Mark beat me to it. We have tons of cap room this year- the most in the NFL. Looking at Landry's contract, there's an out after 2020. So there....   

PS- if you want to bang on someone that's underperforming relative to his contract- you can be our guest to rag on Jamie Collins all you want to...  And it's odds on the Browns will release him rather than pay him the $11million+ he's due in 2019....    

26 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

The Numbers being quoted like basic catches are too raw, they need to be delved into much more and people are paid a lot of money to do so. I’m first to admit I’m a nerd but there are plenty in the Browns front office as well. Podesta and Berry for example, and I can guarantee they’re looking at Landrys production vs contract and thinking.....bad value for the Browns. 

How about this number:   he averages a first down every time he catches the ball.

He is one of the big reasons the Browns went from  30th/31st/32d in total offense the previous 3 years to 20th this past year.

And from 30th to 13th in TDs.

He is a drive sustainer.  The Browns went from 29th to 19th in passing first downs from the prior year.

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

How about this number:   he averages a first down every time he catches the ball.

He is one of the big reasons the Browns went from  30th/31st/32d in total offense the previous 3 years to 20th this past year.

He is a drive sustainer.  The Browns went from 29th to 19th in passing first downs from the prior year.

Nope, Football Outsiders says he's a bum, and overpaid- it must be true....   :D  

I think there is a small number of Browns fans who are so used to bitching and complaining about everything with this team over the last couple of decades that they aren't happy unless complaining and being miserable about something with this team.  

I don't understand it at all but whatever.

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

I think there is a small number of Browns fans who are so used to bitching and complaining about everything with this team over the last couple of decades that they aren't happy unless complaining and being miserable about something with this team.  

I think there are a large number of Browns fans so desperate for a star WR they are willing to ignore a players limitations because he gave a speech on Hard Knocks. 

Of the 30 WR’s targeted the most only five had less first downs than Landry. 

I get some don’t like nerds and or numbers but that alone tells you he’s not doing really anything nobody else can. He’s way overpaid and I firmly believe the FO know it and will look to move him on. Probably next year though not this. 

10 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I think there are a large number of Browns fans so desperate for a star WR they are willing to ignore a players limitations because he gave a speech on Hard Knocks. 

I think there are more players on the team to be concerned with than the best WR we've had in 10 years but that's just me.

3 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I get some don’t like nerds and or numbers but that alone tells you he’s not doing really anything nobody else can. He’s way overpaid and I firmly believe the FO know it and will look to move him on. Probably next year though not this. 

Well you were just wrong too bad. We have given you plenty of numbers you just don’t like the ones that we give you because you’re obstinate about the ones that you think count and ignore the ones that do count

5 hours ago, Mark O said:

Maybe we should start calling it "The Colin Cowherd Syndrome".  Wonder what CC has to say after Baker won ROTY. :)

But as far a bitching fans, we could win the Super Bowl, and a few people are gonna say- "We shoulda beat them worse."   

13 hours ago, Mark O said:

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Maybe we should start calling it "The Colin Cowherd Syndrome".  Wonder what CC has to say after Baker won ROTY. :)

But as far a bitching fans, we could win the Super Bowl, and a few people are gonna say- "We shoulda beat them worse."   

I agree with both statements but please let me correct you both...those "bitchers" are NOT fans!

Mike

15 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Look, I'll cut you a bit of slack here and say some of the deeper dive stats aren't friendly to Landry, I can admit that. However, to watch the guy play and outright claim he "sucks" is just being a hater though. The guy is a fine football player that we likely overpaid a bit to come here. But honestly, that's something the Browns as organization had to do to bring in a quality free agent. The glut of his deal may not work out 3 years from now, but it's just fine now.

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I absolutely love Jarvis Landry, and while I somewhat understand a LITTLE of the criticism, I have to say I disagree with it.  For the money, you'd like to see eye-popping production...I get it.  But you can't just look at the production of Landry to fully understand his importance, ya know?  People need to understand that when we signed him, we were 0-16.  We literally HAD to overpay this guy, as all bad teams do with good players.  Not only that, Jarvis intimated that Gase sent him to Cleveland almost as a punishment.  I don't mind what we paid Jarvis because in addition to his skills on the field, we desperately needed his MENTALITY.  Jarvis was exactly what we needed, and he pairs extremely well with Baker Mayfield.  He's great for the city (lots of charity work), he's only going to produce more on the field as other receivers get better, and Baker loves the guy.  

The only complaint I really have of Jarvis is the absolutely gigantic drop he had in our last game.  I mean, I can’t think of a worse drop in the past 10 years.  The stakes in that game were so high, we just had a defensive TD called back because the ref blew the whistle, and Jarvis likely would’ve gone 95 yards if he caught a deep ball with nobody around him.  I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a ball bounce off a pro receiver’s FACE.  AHHHHHHHHHHHH!    LOL

58 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Look, I'll cut you a bit of slack here and say some of the deeper dive stats aren't friendly to Landry, I can admit that. However, to watch the guy play and outright claim he "sucks" is just being a hater though. The guy is a fine football player that we likely overpaid a bit to come here. But honestly, that's something the Browns as organization had to do to bring in a quality free agent. The glut of his deal may not work out 3 years from now, but it's just fine now.

This.  All of this.  

17 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Were you around for Dwayne Bowe.. How about Kenny Britt? Those guys were a waste of money.

Jarvis may not be a true #1 but he belongs on this team.

He was exactly what this team, and Baker needed. Now we need another piece across from him. Whether Calloway or Perriman can be that guy, I don't know.

I keep comparing Landry to Hines Ward, that is how I see him. Ward was never asked to be "the guy". They always had a big, fast home run hitter guy on the other side that you had to worry about while Hines killed you underneath ... Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace ... then moved right into Antonio Brown and now they have a stud Shuster, to replace him.

If you put a 1,000 yd, 15 ypc tall, fast guy on the other side, with Baker's arm, Landry will KILL people underneath.

If he is getting Pro Bowl respect now, just wait until we have a big gain hunter across from him.

Zombo

Bitching about Landry is just pure assinine..... He's done more than earned his keep by the energy he brought.... I guess that wakeup call he gave on Hard Knocks didnt mean anything i guess where he called out the chumps and let them know what time it was.. That alone was worth signing him/trading for him..(however he got here).. Embrace the fact he "wanted to be here.. Enjoy this team.. It's gonna be fun for years to come!

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

He was exactly what this team, and Baker needed. Now we need another piece across from him. Whether Calloway or Perriman can be that guy, I don't know.

I keep comparing Landry to Hines Ward, that is how I see him. Ward was never asked to be "the guy". They always had a big, fast home run hitter guy on the other side that you had to worry about while Hines killed you underneath ... Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace ... then moved right into Antonio Brown and now they have a stud Shuster, to replace him.

If you put a 1,000 yd, 15 ypc tall, fast guy on the other side, with Baker's arm, Landry will KILL people underneath.

If he is getting Pro Bowl respect now, just wait until we have a big gain hunter across from him.

Zombo

All Landry needs to be like Hines Ward is to start taking dirty, cheap, blindside shots at players.:ph34r:  Maybe London would like him better then.

I loved acquiring Jarvis Landry last year, and I think that he delivered most of the time. I got to see that some games he was a bit off, but nothing to worry about. 

As others have stated, Jarvis fits the role of a possesion receiver. It's the same discussion we had when we traded for him ''What is a 8ypc guy useful for?'' Well, it gets you either first downs or 2nd & 2s or 3 & 2s, and that's a huge difference. Edelman, Wes Welker and others have made a career of it, and I don't care if we overpay a bit for such an asset. 

At the same time, I think that here applies the ''keep until we have a better option'' principle: We have a promising tight end in Njoku, a fast small guy in Callaway and the possesion receiver in Landry. I think we would do better if we found a big guy ala Julio Jones and I can't think of any possesion receiver at the same level as Landry, as I think he is better than Beasley or Edelman, to mention a few. 

Only thing I can take away from Landry is that Baker sometimes trusts him way too much and puts him in hard positions. The times that we have spread the ball to more receivers are the ones we have done better; I believe. 

He’s also more than a “possession” receiver. He’s a solid YAC guy, when given the space.

Remember the play against Carolina? I think it was a run, not a catch... oh and the guy can throw the ball, too 😂

Landry has returned plenty of punts in his career and has a tendency to make defenders look silly in space.

21 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Um, he's made four Pro Bowls, something no other player currently on the Browns roster can lay claim to. You don't "move on" from Pro Bowl talent in the prime of their careers. Landry will be here at least through the 2020 season, regardless of what your nerd analytics tell you. As others have said, when you're 0-16 you have to overpay for talent. 

I (and everyone else here) firmly believe that you're totally out to lunch on Landry. Your opinion about Jarvis makes about as much sense as the departed Ghooie's rag "Joe Thomas is an untalented fatass, and can easily be replaced."

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

I like that you brought up Perriman, as I'm excited to see if he was merely a flash in the pan (which we've seen before), or if he can utilize his vast physical skills to become the player many people thought he'd be.  When you go back and watch his receptions, and granted there weren't TOO many, you see a guy running hard and making difficult catches.  Some of his catches weren't exactly "simple", and what's more, he made "big plays".  That touchdown against the Broncos was absolutely HUGE, and that's what I call helping out your QB.  Baker didn't have his best stuff against the Broncos, but I tell ya what, THAT throw was amazing.  Perriman isn't signed to a contract, and the guy definitely resurrected his career to the point that SOMEBODY is going to offer him something, but man...I really hope he's back.  I think it's pretty fair to say that he WANTS to be back with us, but we all know how difficult it is to sign to an unrestricted.  

34 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I like that you brought up Perriman, as I'm excited to see if he was merely a flash in the pan (which we've seen before), or if he can utilize his vast physical skills to become the player many people thought he'd be.  When you go back and watch his receptions, and granted there weren't TOO many, you see a guy running hard and making difficult catches.  Some of his catches weren't exactly "simple", and what's more, he made "big plays".  That touchdown against the Broncos was absolutely HUGE, and that's what I call helping out your QB.  Baker didn't have his best stuff against the Broncos, but I tell ya what, THAT throw was amazing.  Perriman isn't signed to a contract, and the guy definitely resurrected his career to the point that SOMEBODY is going to offer him something, but man...I really hope he's back.  I think it's pretty fair to say that he WANTS to be back with us, but we all know how difficult it is to sign to an unrestricted.  

:) Sometimes, just a change of scenery can work wonders.  The vast majority of us Browns fans would have been happy to buy Cam Erving a ticket out of town. Yet he's starting at LG for the Chiefs, and one game away from the Super Bowl. Go figure...   

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

:) Sometimes, just a change of scenery can work wonders.  The vast majority of us Browns fans would have been happy to buy Cam Erving a ticket out of town. Yet he's starting at LG for the Chiefs, and one game away from the Super Bowl. Go figure...   

That's a solid point. Makes me happy for the kid. I met him a few times in Tallahassee when he played in college, and he was always nice. I'm not sure how well he's actually playing, but it can't be too bad, huh? A change of scenery can do wonders, but a change of coaches and personnel can help too. Remember how so many people wanted to run Hubbard out of town? Remember how poorly our OL was doing in general? 33 sacks through 8 games, then 5 during the last 8? That number still just befuddles me. I can remember everyone on the board was terrified (me included) that Baker would die or get ruined. What a difference a new coaching staff makes, huh? 

5 sacks and Baker only got "hit" 9 times in those last 8 games. 9 hits was obviously tops in the league, and the next closest team was something like 28 hits. I know I've mentioned that stat several times, but it just blows my mind so completely. 

Archived