THE BROWNS BOARD

Jarvis Landry headed to pro bowl

Alkid3

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

He put up enough good numbers for this?

A little bit surprised....  That could be debatable...   #19 in receptions, #21 in yards...   One could say TY Hilton is certainly more deserving....  If the Chiefs make the Super Bowl, they'll have to find another alternate, as Tyreek Hill is on the list.....   A lot of the big name WRs are in the NFC which helped Jarvis....  

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

I guess Landry was an alternate 

Yup, 3rd alternate, replaces Deandre Hopkins who bowed out. Of course pouty Antonio Brown isn't playing either because of a phantom hip injury...   

BTW, Baker is 4th alternate QB, and Rivers already bowed out- Andrew Luck in. Either Mahomes or Brady won't play- because one of them is going to be in the Super Bowl.  Our pal Ben Roethlisbooger is ripe to claim he's "hurt".  Can't find who's second and third alternate...  Maybe Derek Carr and Deshaun Watson?   

Congrats Jarvis!! Adam Gase eyes 👀 never saw your talents;) Joel Bitonio is also in..Garrett in.And I'd rather see Denzel Ward travel but sit :(

28 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Congrats Jarvis!! Adam Gase eyes 👀 never saw your talents;) Joel Bitonio is also in..Garrett in.And I'd rather see Denzel Ward travel but sit :(

I agree about Ward. But what was it with the video of Gase at the press conference? I've never seen anything close to that. But regarding Jarvis, he not only didn't get along with Gase (apparently most of the rest of the team didn't either) the Dolphins couldn't afford to keep him around because of their cap woes...  

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

But what was it with the video of Gase at the press conference? I've never seen anything close to that.   

H, I've never seen anything like it. In Case's previous video's, I never saw any of this.meds? NY media nervous reaction,maybe? He says he stays off the internet, so he really don't care what most think. Case was interviewed today on sirius & you could hear the voice hesitation (with picturing eye rolling). In the interview Case was talking about, he thinks to many people are in the rookies QB ears (Darnold) but than within under 30 seconds later, Case was complimenting Josh McCown for teaching him so much while the kid was out injured :huh:. just strange..I'd suggest Case being tested like Urban Meyer choose..somethings up? (put down the kids visual viewer and maybe sit in the back row from the projector screen to start;))

2 hours ago, Alkid3 said:

Colquitt

Mayfield

Chubb

Zeitler

Named as alternates too

IIRC Chubb is higher on the alternate list. 

As I posted above- Baker is 4th alternate, and he's not too excited about it.  So as it stands- 1st alternate in- Luck. 2nd alternate- in ( because already in either Mahomes or Brady will be in the SB.) Don't know who 3rd alternate is, but one more decline after that, and Baker is heading to Orlando.  

8 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Landry doesn’t like losing, with a subpar QB. He is a true competitor, hence why he was unhappy in Miami.

Perfect timing for him to get traded and GREAT job by Dorsey and whoever else for recognizing that he is worth the $$$

Lol sorry that’s nonsense. His production compared to his targets is pretty rubbish as seen here 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/seasontype/2

It’s hilarious he’s going to the pro bowl. No idea how. 

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Lol sorry that’s nonsense. His production compared to his targets is pretty rubbish as seen here 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/seasontype/2

What I see there is a guy that is in the Top Ten in the league in that category.  That is how.   And, to me, if a guy is targeted and catches fewer of the passes thrown his way, it says to me:   QB accuracy issues.

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Stats aren’t everything. Use your eyes. It’s about the quality of the receptions.

try using some “logic”

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Stats aren’t everything. Use your eyes. It’s about the quality of the receptions.

try using some “logic”

There's no point arguing with London about Landry.  He doesn't like him as a player and doens't think we should've signed him and I believe has even said he thinks we should get rid of him this offseason.  

The pro bowl is a nice thing to be named to for a player I'm sure but the game is totally unwatchable.  Although get another player or two in because of "injuries" and I might tune in just to see more than plain orange helmet on the field.    Probably the last time I watched was after the 07 season when we got a few players in.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What I see there is a guy that is in the Top Ten in the league in that category.  That is how.   And, to me, if a guy is targeted and catches fewer of the passes thrown his way, it says to me:   QB accuracy issues.

He’s nearly bottom in every category of those targeted most often. You can even extend it to the top 20 and 30 targeted and he is close to it bottom in all other categories. 

I know our fans are desperate to win and change the culture but they’re a bit blind with this guy. He just isn’t very good. 

14 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

He’s nearly bottom in every category of those targeted most often. You can even extend it to the top 20 and 30 targeted and he is close to it bottom in all other categories. 

I know our fans are desperate to win and change the culture but they’re a bit blind with this guy. He just isn’t very good. 

He's our Hines Ward. Great blocker, great teammate, great hands, great leader. He was out there with a rookie QB, rookie RB and a rookie WR across from him ... so, sure, Baker threw a lot of impossible balls his way because he trusted him, and threw a lot of tight catches with no room for YAC to him because he was the only guy he could count on to make tough catches when covered. And he was always covered because he was the the only vet out there and drew the team's best coverage every single play.

Most Receptions First Five Years in the History of the National Football League:

Jarvis Landry 481

Larry Fitzgerald 426

Torry Holt 423

A.J. Green 415

He has caught more footballs in the first five years of his career than any man to ever play the game ... He just isn't very good.

Zombo

48 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

He is targeted that often because he is considered to be good. He’s a possession receiver so he’s not going to have the long ball thrown to him as much. I don’t know why you can’t figure that out. 

32 minutes ago, Zombo said:

He's our Hines Ward. Great blocker, great teammate, great hands, great leader. He was out there with a rookie QB, rookie RB and a rookie WR across from him ... so, sure, Baker threw a lot of impossible balls his way because he trusted him, and threw a lot of tight catches with no room for YAC to him because he was the only guy he could count on to make tough catches when covered. And he was always covered because he was the the only vet out there and drew the team's best coverage every single play.

Most Receptions First Five Years in the History of the National Football League:

Jarvis Landry 481

Larry Fitzgerald 426

Torry Holt 423

A.J. Green 415

He has caught more footballs in the first five years of his career than any man to ever play the game ... He just isn't very good.

Zombo

Agree with you and Mark. London has his opinion of Jarvis, and we're not going to change it. :( Can't see Landry wasn't brought in here to be another Julio Jones. He was brought in here because he's the best possession reciever in the NFL, bar none. He's never going to be a 1,500 yard guy- if that's all London is looking at. Looking at that chart, his target\ catch ratio compares favorably to most of the other top WRs. And you'd have to go back to Ozzie Newsome to find a Browns player with hands that good.

Another thing, I’ve seen Landry WIDE OPEN on several accounts this year and for one reason or another, he didn’t get the ball.

You can bank he would’ve had more receptions, if he had a more experienced Baker getting the ball out to him before the coverage can react to him.

He has reliable hands, the ball just needs to touch them.

Football outsiders doesn’t agree with you. They have him ranked 83 of 84 wide receivers who was targeted 50+ times. You’re right when you say my opinion won’t change that he pretty much sucks. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if they traded him. Higgins is a much better player for instance. 

13 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Football outsiders doesn’t agree with you. They have him ranked 83 of 84 wide receivers who was targeted 50+ times. You’re right when you say my opinion won’t change that he pretty much sucks. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if they traded him. Higgins is a much better player for instance. 

He doesn't suck and he won't be traded.   

But feel free to continue hating players that play for the Browns. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

FIFY

Didn't need fixing.  I don't hate anyone who plays for the Browns.   I like some better than others but as long as they wear the helmet and the uniform, there's no hate from me.   Screw them once they go somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Didn't need fixing.  I don't hate anyone who plays for the Browns.   I like some better than others but as long as they wear the helmet and the uniform, there's no hate from me.   Screw them once they go somewhere else.

OK, not fixed.....clarified....or augmented.  ;)

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

Like hell Higgins is a much better player. Let me know when Hollywood makes the Pro Bowl.  He may look better to you because his YPC is higher. Just get over the idea the Browns would entertain the thought of trading Landry, it's not happening- certainly not the way his contract is structured. AND being a team leader, and great lockerroom influence on top of that.  

You can spin statistics any way you want to. I actually bothered looking up the Football Outsiders stat sheet, and how they came up with that ranking. It's largely based on YAC. Landry doesn't do well in that regard- because that's not what he's good at.  Sure handed possession receiver, and we haven't had one of those since Brian Brennan back in the 80s. I won't count Ozzie, because he was a TE. Maybe you missed all those circus catches Jarvis made on off target throws, or with defenders hanging all over him. I DIDN'T. No one else I'd rather have on my team when it's third and ten game on the line. You prefer a bum like Coleman, who was whiffing on passes- including a potential game winner, when it hit him between the numbers?  

In stats that actually matter- instead of some stuff cooked up by football nerds-  Landry was #19 in the league in number of receptions, and #21 in yards.  That's among the 25 best in the NFL- and there's 32 teams. So I'd say he's better than anything 11 other teams have. 

Archived