THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is the bigger idiot

LondonBrown

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I guess I have not heard.  What is this all about? 

not sure why he is comparing Murray to huey any way here it is murray was drafted 9th over all by the A's and has just declared for the NFL draft so he will be the first person ever to be drafted in the first round by the MLB and the NFL 

29 minutes ago, ATOM said:

not sure why he is comparing Murray to huey any way here it is murray was drafted 9th over all by the A's and has just declared for the NFL draft so he will be the first person ever to be drafted in the first round by the MLB and the NFL 

He's going to make a shitton more money being drafted in the NFL.    Plus he won't have to go to the minor leagues and ride a bus for a few years before playing in the Majors.   Longer career most likely in baseball but I think I'd take the NFL money over baseball.

4 minutes ago, Mark O said:

He's going to make a shitton more money being drafted in the NFL.    Plus he won't have to go to the minor leagues and ride a bus for a few years before playing in the Majors.   Longer career most likely in baseball but I think I'd take the NFL money over baseball.

the A's all ready gave him 4.5 million and are prepared to up the ante but what ever that amount is yep you are correct it will not match NFL money

1 minute ago, ATOM said:

the A's all ready gave him 4.5 million and are prepared to up the ante but what ever that amount is yep you are correct it will not match NFL money

Right...that was his signing bonus but his single A or even double A salary isn't going to come close to what his rookie contract in the NFL would pay.

47 minutes ago, ATOM said:

But- not that I agree with Walter Football, but he  does have a point. Now that Baker lit it up, folks aren't worried about size so much.  However Murray is 1-1\2 inches shorter than Baker, and 20 pounds lighter. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I guess I have not heard.  What is this all about? 

Our most recent Heisman winner declaring for the NFL draft.  :)   

Baker may have broken the Heisman curse, but a lot of experts\ pundits think Murray is nuts....  Anyone remember that other Heisman winner from Oklahoma Jason White?   

He's insane.

MLB contracts are guaranteed, baseball players have longer careers with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less stress on their bodies, and when they hit 50 years old they won't need to be in a nursing home because of early on-set dementia caused by head injuries.

He must love football way more than baseball, because if he likes the sports even remotely the same, it is idiotic to pick football over baseball.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He's insane.

MLB contracts are guaranteed, baseball players have longer careers with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less stress on their bodies, and when they hit 50 years old they won't need to be in a nursing home because of early on-set dementia caused by head injuries.

He must love football way more than baseball, because if he likes the sports even remotely the same, it is idiotic to pick football over baseball.

You know what they say:

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

But- not that I agree with Walter Football, but he  does have a point. Now that Baker lit it up, folks aren't worried about size so much.  However Murray is 1-1\2 inches shorter than Baker, and 20 pounds lighter. 

Baker is about 6'1 in cleats.      I'm right about 5'11-ish and saw Baker in person.   But Murray is about 5'8... maybe 5'9, tops. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He's insane.

But the MLB contract and big money only happens if he makes it to the majors.  Otherwise he's playing for peanuts and riding a bus seeing the hotspots of California like Stockton and Modesto.   I'd take the NFL money rather than the long minor league road to the majors. 

4 minutes ago, Mark O said:

But the MLB contract and big money only happens if he makes it to the majors.  Otherwise he's playing for peanuts and riding a bus seeing the hotspots of California like Stockton and Modesto.   I'd take the NFL money rather than the long minor league road to the majors. 

The big money QB contract only comes if he makes it past his rookie contract and proves to someone that he's worth a huge veteran franchise QB contract. 

He was already given $4.5 mill by MLB as a 1st round draftee, and its not like he's starting his career playing in some Podunk rookie league in front of 300 people. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The big money QB contract only comes if he makes it past his rookie contract and proves to someone that he's worth a huge veteran franchise QB contract. 

He was already given $4.5 mill by MLB as a 1st round draftee, and its not like he's starting his career playing in some Podunk rookie league in front of 300 people. 

The number 1 over all pick started in High A ball in Lakeland, Florida.   Murry would be playing single A for the A's in front of 3000 people tops.   The number 2 overall pick (a catcher) played for the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes in short season A ball.    So yeah, he's going to be playing in some podunk single A ball league in front of no fans and riding a bus between games. 

I'll take the NFL and more money per year even on his rookie contract than he's going ot make playing single A baseball.

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

The number 1 over all pick started in High A ball in Lakeland, Florida.   Murry would be playing single A for the A's in front of 3000 people tops.   The number 2 overall pick (a catcher) played for the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes in short season A ball.    So yeah, he's going to be playing in some podunk single A ball league in front of no fans and riding a bus between games. 

I'll take the NFL and more money per year even on his rookie contract than he's going ot make playing single A baseball.

Give me the list of 5'9" QBs who had long, productive NFL careers. 

His size wouldn't affect his MLB career in the least. 

His size might get him killed in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Give me the list of 5'9" QBs who had long, productive NFL careers. 

His size wouldn't affect his MLB career in the least. 

His size might get him killed in the NFL. 

It could....but he'll get a few years of NFL money which is more than he's gonna make playing in Modesto next season.

It could....but he'll get a few years of NFL money which is more than he's gonna make playing in Modesto next season.

He was already given a $4.5 mill signing bonus by the A's, Mark.

I know he already was thought enough to be the #9 overall pick in the MLB draft. 

I just don't see that for him in the NFL. Maybe I'm vastly underrating his NFL future? Perhaps.

All things equal, if you told me I could be a very good NFL player or a very good MLB player, I'm picking baseball every day and twice on Sundays. 

• Upvote 1

The signing bonus for a first round pick is basically the same amount in the NFL.   Lamar Jackson...last pick of the first round: Lamar Jackson  signed a four year contract with the Baltimore Ravens worth $9,471,652 on June 5, 2018. Jackson received $8, 055,062 in guarantees including a $4,968,472 signing bonus. The other guaranteed portions of the contract are Jackson's entire 2018, 2019 & 2020 salaries and $355,000 of his 2021 salary. Jackson was the 32nd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Murray is being talked about as a first round pick so he's going to make AT LEAST that much in the NFL.  

Then there's this from an article I"m reading right now:

But Murray was facing a long road through the minors on minimum wage at best, apart from his signing bonus, which would be the most money he’d make until he was at least three or four years into his big league career, by which point he’d be into his arbitration years. And he’d be traveling that road in working and living conditions that would’ve been a substantial step down from what he enjoyed as a football player at Oklahoma, and certainly from what he’ll enjoy in the NFL.

I get it that he's likely to have a much longer career playing baseball, but right now there's a lot more money immediately to go play in the NFL.   The A's signing bonus doesn't matter since he'll get the same thing or more as a first round pick in the NFL.   He' ain't gonna make $350k per season playing in the minors in baseball. 

9 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Murray is being talked about as a first round pick so he's going to make AT LEAST that much in the NFL.  

Murray is being hyped by those desperate for ratings and the impending off season drag as a 1st round pick.   But the film don't lie - unless somebody is willing to go full Jimmy Haslam. 

That said, in the context of your argument I understand.  

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Murray is being hyped by those desperate for ratings and the impending off season drag as a 1st round pick.   But the film don't like unless somebody is willing to go full Jimmy Haslam. 

I'm only going by what i heard on the pregame shows on Sunday and they were saying that he's a potential first round pick.     Now, if he's mid to late round or undrafted NFL QB then I definitely change my thoughts.  But as a first round pick, he's gonna get at least through his rookie contract in the league and probably get another deal somewhere unless he totally shits the bed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Murray is being hyped by those desperate for ratings and the impending off season drag as a 1st round pick.   But the film don't like unless somebody is willing to go full Jimmy Haslam. 

Mark makes a great argument, but I'd buy it a little more if it was say Baker Mayfield deciding between entering the NFL Draft or going the MLB route. 

I'm just not buying Murray as a NFL longterm QB. 

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Mark makes a great argument, but I'd buy it a little more if it was say Baker Mayfield deciding between entering the NFL Draft or going the MLB route. 

I'm just not buying Murray as a NFL longterm QB. 

Im really only repeating what I've heard and that is that he's a first round QB in this year's draft.  Hell Kliff Klingsbutter said he'd pick him number 1 overall so maybe the Cardinals will take him first and trade Rosen.  Who knows.

Im really only repeating what I've heard and that is that he's a first round QB in this year's draft.  Hell Kliff Klingsbutter said he'd pick him number 1 overall so maybe the Cardinals will take him first and trade Rosen.  Who knows.

Absolutely. 

Like I said earlier, I might not totally agree with you, but you make a very well thought-out argument for your stance. Well done, Mark. 

3 minutes ago, Mark O said:

or get a ransom for that pick

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely. 

Like I said earlier, I might not totally agree with you, but you make a very well thought-out argument for your stance. Well done, Mark. 

:)

Its not really my argument.....just pointing out the other side and there's a lot more money immediately to be made in the NFL.    But it all depends on his draft position.    Nice that it's something we don't have to think or deal with because we already have a QB.

I agree with you that he looks kinda small to me.  I didn't watch as much of OU this past year as I did the year before but he seems small. 

6 minutes ago, Mark O said:

:)

Its not really my argument.....just pointing out the other side and there's a lot more money immediately to be made in the NFL.    But it all depends on his draft position.    Nice that it's something we don't have to think or deal with because we already have a QB.

I agree with you that he looks kinda small to me.  I didn't watch as much of OU this past year as I did the year before but he seems small. 

I'll buy Tia's argument that his listed 5' 11" is grossly overstated. The Combine will tell...