THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire OC Todd Monken

Alkid3

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

COME ON, LET'S CELEBRATE! 

THERE'S A PARTY GOIN' ON DOWN HERE, LET'S CELEBRATE! 

pretty damn cool to be looking forward to the next season knowing that we have a coaching staff in place and of course a QB

24 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

Asking Monken to learn the terminology rather than the entire offense is a genius move. Loving this staff so far...

But wasn't it Haley's offense, plays & terminology?

I'm assuming that Freddie doesn't have his own.

13 minutes ago, Orion said:

But wasn't it Haley's offense, plays & terminology?

I'm assuming that Freddie doesn't have his own.

Offense is the same across the NFL, just different terms used in different offenses. Most teams run plays and route trees that look the same.

Haley was calling screens, reverses, and running plays in flat out passing situations. It’s all about the philosophy behind the playcalling. 

The O looked way different after Freddie took over, remember the wishbone breaking out for the ATL game?

He is a creative offensive mind. He made sure Chubb got his deserving workload, utilized Duke, and worked with Mayfield to use plays that #6 was comfortable running. That is why the offense was so much better afterwards.

29 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Offense is the same across the NFL, just different terms used in different offenses. Most teams run plays and route trees that look the same.

Haley was calling screens, reverses, and running plays in flat out passing situations. It’s all about the philosophy behind the playcalling. 

The O looked way different after Freddie took over, remember the wishbone breaking out for the ATL game?

He is a creative offensive mind. He made sure Chubb got his deserving workload, utilized Duke, and worked with Mayfield to use plays that #6 was comfortable running. That is why the offense was so much better afterwards.

& anyway you have to change the code words frequently and maybe even on a game to game basis.  I'll let Tia comment on this.. Other teams will know really fast what triple x laser wham right  means really quick.   

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Other teams will know really fast what triple x laser wham right  means really quick.   

5 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Yes, triple x laser is my favorite play, EVER

Wait is that the one with Jenna Jameson and the banana?🧘‍♀️🍌 Loved that play!!😍

16 minutes ago, choco said:

Why don't you enlighten me then?  Tell us all about how using Haley's playbook last year has any impact on the team this year...

Because it's Todd Haley's playbook.  (at least that's my understanding)  I should think that Freddie is going to make quite a few changes to that book in making the offense his own over the offseason.  

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

Freddie said in the presser that he's still calling the plays. Could be Todd will be able to suggest what and when from the sideline. 

The plus is the terminology won't change, how often have we seen guys having to learn a new playbook every August?  

Definitely. Even simpler to me is that Freddie had this offense top 5-7 in the league coming in 1/2 way through the season. To not allow that ball to keep rolling would be extremely foolish.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Because it's Todd Haley's playbook.  (at least that's my understanding)  I should think that Freddie is going to make quite a few changes to that book in making the offense his own over the offseason.  

didn't even get close to answering the question...yes, freddie was using todds playbook last year (with some tweeks).  of course he and monken are going to add and subtract, make changes.  so what?  i asked why you think its an issue that todds playbook is the starting point?  particularly, in regards to the original tweet that said its easier for monken to learn the new terminology that the 90+ players.

5 hours ago, choco said:

didn't even get close to answering the question...yes, freddie was using todds playbook last year (with some tweeks).  of course he and monken are going to add and subtract, make changes.  so what?  i asked why you think its an issue that todds playbook is the starting point?  particularly, in regards to the original tweet that said its easier for monken to learn the new terminology that the 90+ players.

Because there's going to be substantial new stuff to learn either way.

44 minutes ago, Orion said:

Because there's going to be substantial new stuff to learn either way.

Irrelevant, because that's true regardless of who was hired. And that's kind of the idea tbh, because there won't be much success if our offense is the same shit as last year.  Geez man....stop looking for shit to bitch about. Conditioning is a bitch, but you seriously think where kitchens playbouke comes from is even an issue? Or that the team has to learn new plays? Where'd they learn last year's plays?

I apologize, but damn...break the cycle.

3 hours ago, choco said:

I apologize, but damn...break the cycle.

Just so I understand it correctly....we brought in an OC (Todd Monken) to help run/teach a tweaked version of Todd Haley's offense.

...and that's fine, if that's what we saw over the second half of last season.  I expected, however, that Kitchens would roll out HIS version of a playbook next year...with many of the same concepts and plays, plus a whole lot more that couldn't possibly be installed when he took over after the Steelers loss.  Ergo, I found it odd that Freddie's indicating that Monken would be the only guy that had to learn anything new.

Believe me, I'm happy that he brought in an OC.  He's going to have A LOT more to do as a HC than he's ever had to do before.  Monken and Wilks will help keep Freddie from getting inundated.  

I'm curious as to how he will be as a game managing HC.  That's something we didn't get to see.  Williams was HC...and in charge of time outs, punt or go for it, P.A.T. or go for 2, etc.

I think all that tweet was saying was Monken is going to learn the play terminology they had been using as a starting point, and then develop plays from there.

If “Triple x laser right” was actually called “Donkey Kong dancing dildo” in Kitchens’ playbook, then it will continue to be called “Donkey Kong dancing dildo”, at least for starters. 

Monkens may have previously referred to that play as “Omaha”, or some shit, but instead of teaching 90 guys that “Donkey Kong dancing dildo” is now “Omaha”, they are instead making one guy learn that “Omaha” is now “Donkey Kong dancing dildo.”

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Monkens may have previously referred to that play as “Omaha”, or some shit, but instead of teaching 90 guys that “Donkey Kong dancing dildo” is now “Omaha”, they are instead making one guy learn that “Omaha” is now “Donkey Kong dancing dildo.”

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/12/15279674/peyton-manning-omaha-why-does-he-say-it-broncos-colts

On 1/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I'm am absolutely giddy at the idea of Mayfield and Co. NOT having to learn a new offense going into next season. 

Hell, they won't have to for another one after that. THREE seasons in a row running the same offense?

TOMFOOLERY! 

The fact that we are keeping the same offense is stellar.

Monken is a great coach, did wonders with the Bucs passing game with two QBs you couldn't trust and were getting shuffled and a WR that quit on the team, and a head coach that was getting fired.

I see we interviewed Wilks old DC, the coveted Linebackers coach Holcomb as well. This is going to be a hell of coaching staff. Can't wait for September already and we have drafted or signed a free agent yet!

Zombo

I am just really curious to see if the defense and special teams improve.  Shit I want all the stupid penalties to go away.  At least half of them.  

Free agents will come.  I see Dorsey getting solid players in FA.  Not really superstars.  Look what happened with perriman.  He was looking like a good WR.

Draft will fill allot of depth.

This offense should be solid with the new hires.

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think all that tweet was saying was Monken is going to learn the play terminology they had been using as a starting point, and then develop plays from there.

If “Triple x laser right” was actually called “Donkey Kong dancing dildo” in Kitchens’ playbook, then it will continue to be called “Donkey Kong dancing dildo”, at least for starters. 

You just discovered me a new world full of opportunities... Please tell me that it does exist a play called "Donkey Kong dancing dildo". Please!

2 hours ago, Nero said:

You just discovered me a new world full of opportunities... Please tell me that it does exist a play called "Donkey Kong dancing dildo". Please!

Ha, l highly doubt it, but per the article TexAg posted Manning said he wished he would’ve used more expletives so that they turn the microphones down, so the day may be coming, haha. Baker certainly has some pipes. You can definitely hear him barking calls at the line on tv.

Archived